Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    W4D1 last night. Walking 3mph, Jogging 5 mph in the 3 min sections and 4.5mph in the 5 minute sections. I was a little intimidated to try the 5 minute sections at 5mph - I probably could have done it but chickened out.
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @DianaLovesCoffee Great job! Keep it up!

It is better to get through it at a steady pace then going too fast, it will come I promise.... I do mine on the treadmill and sometimes will do the first "long" run at a slower pace and then the second one I will bump it up during the last half and then by the end of the week you may be able to do the whole last run at a higher pace... but truly we are only in a race with ourself so no one is judging you but you :) plus you were going way better and faster then me yesterday!!!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    W5D2 yesterday with my husband. Ran it very slowly, due to feeling blah and achy after flu shot. I think we are going to repeat this day before tackling the big 20 minute run, since it wasn't what it should have been due to illness. But we did get through it!

The weather is perfect right now, could not be prettier. I hope it stays that way, since I really prefer running outside to the treadmill. And running on the river trail at the park is nice because it's up and down hill, you have to dodge tree roots and branches, etc., which uses different muscles and makes it less repetitive.
  • rheddmobile
    edited October 2017
    Options
    We repeated day 2 of wk5, trying to get a little closer to the suggested distance, and pretty much did the 3/4 mile runs in 8, although there's no way we could walk half a mile in 5 minutes - who walks at 6 mph? Anyway it felt good to run at almost a respectable speed, and hopefully the extra day of conditioning will help us get through the 20 minutes coming up. I'm nervous about day 3!
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    W5d1 tomorrow after 2 weeks of week4.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    We did it! Wk5 day 3, 20 minute run behind us. I think we're going to repeat this day as well and go for the two miles.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    New here! I did W4D2 on Sunday night (I couldn't get out last night or the night before), and it was worse for me than W4D1. On D1 I did the 30, then 5-, then 3-minute runs without stopping and took like a 15-second break during the second 5-minute run (which I tacked on to the end). On D2 I couldn't even do the first 3-minute run without taking a break. All four runs had walking breaks. I had done a tough Spin workout the day before, so maybe that was it. I felt like I was physically unable to keep running.

I'll be doing W4D3 tonight and another W4 workout tomorrow night with two other ladies who are doing C25K as well. I'll decide then if I want to do another W4 workout or progress to W5.
  • RBXChas
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Ran W4D3 last night, went much better than on Sunday (edited to add that I still walked for a teensy bit of time during each run but much, much less than Sunday's workout). Something changed such that I can't go out tonight, but I will be doing W4 workouts until probably next Tuesday, when I will do W5D1 with the other ladies.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    Repeated w5d3 going for distance rather than time. I'm so slow! But finished the two miles anyway. Unless I increase my speed substantially, running the final 30 minutes is not going to get me anywhere close to 3k. And I want to run 3k, thirty minutes which doesn't cover that distance is not going to count in a race!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Down with a bad back this week so no progress. I plan to do W4D1 Saturday.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Repeated w5d3 going for distance rather than time. I'm so slow! But finished the two miles anyway. Unless I increase my speed substantially, running the final 30 minutes is not going to get me anywhere close to 3k. And I want to run 3k, thirty minutes which doesn't cover that distance is not going to count in a race!

You are building stamina now. Speed will come later. Keep it up!
  • Mooma29
    Mooma29 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So today I did w3d3. This is my second "go" at c25k. Got side tracked with various things over the summer so having another go! So far so good but 3 minutes seems like a long time to me still so I expect w4 will include some repeats, but I'd really like to get to the end this time. I'd like to be able to run for 30 mins non stop. Not bothered how fast that ends up at or how far I go but I would like to do 30 mins.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Did W5D1 on Friday night, didn't cheat once. I was going to continue W4 workouts until tonight but felt like doing something with fewer intervals. It was hard to do it without stopping to walk, but I just pushed myself. Got busy with other stuff all weekend and last night, so I am running again tonight. I'll be by myself, so I'm probably going to move on to W5D2.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Did W5D2 last night. First run went well, but I took a 30-second walking break with a minute and a half remaining. I was kind of mad at myself afterwards, because I could have pushed it to the full 8 minutes if I'd tried. The second 8-minute run was terrible, but I was admittedly having issues with my right foot going numb (shoe lacing issue) and my right calf getting super tight all of a sudden. I think I'm redoing W5D2 before moving on to W5D3 (20-minute run).

The funny thing is, I think I can do the 20-minute run if I get my mind right. A couple of weeks ago I was dying over 3-minute runs. I've done C25K before and felt that the program escalated too quickly in Weeks 4 and 5, but the reality is that you are ready for those workouts. Your brain just doesn't realize it yet.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Also, I've determined that I really like fewer intervals, so a 20-minute run will probably be just fine ;)
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    Had to skip several days due to illness with fever. I'm going to try it today. I'm a little worried because my bad knee with no ACL is tracking weird and the last time I ran, it made it sore. Usually it goes back in after a while, and I can run on it fine with a brace when it's in, but it seems like it doesn't want to go in this time. I don't know what I'm going to do if it doesn't improve. I'm not a good candidate for surgery.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    Had to skip several days due to illness with fever. I'm going to try it today. I'm a little worried because my bad knee with no ACL is tracking weird and the last time I ran, it made it sore. Usually it goes back in after a while, and I can run on it fine with a brace when it's in, but it seems like it doesn't want to go in this time. I don't know what I'm going to do if it doesn't improve. I'm not a good candidate for surgery.

@rheddmobile how did it go?

I met up with a lady in my neighborhood last night who had also done W5D2 already, so I left it up to her whether she wanted to try W5D3. She wanted to re-do D2 because she "cheated" on the runs, as had I, so I went along with it. First run was OK with 30 seconds of walking a few minutes in, second run was awful again. I don't know why I can't get my head into it. This time my left calf was bugging me. I am thinking about going out tonight and trying it again, or maybe I'll just go for W5D3. I've cheated on past workouts and still advanced and done fine.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    @RBXChas thanks for asking! My knee is still tracking weird but running on it doesn't seem to make it worse so far, so I'm just carrying on. We finished wk 6 today. We've been doing each day twice, the first time running the time, the second time running the distance. It feels a little scary to be past doing intervals - from here on out, it's all one run, longer and longer! I feel more comfortable doing each day twice, it seems to keep my tendons from getting sore.

• rheddmobile
    Options
    I'm still slow but getting faster! When I did the 2 mile run at the end of wk 5, it took 27 minutes. Today did the 2.25 mile run at the end of wk 6, also took 27 minutes, with 12 min splits. Still can't run a 10 minute mile - I did some treadmill running at 6 mph to see what it was like and I get bushed about 4 minutes in. But I'm working up to it.

From now on instead of running the suggested time each workout, we are going to be running the suggested distance, since I'm pretty sure I can already run 30 minutes if I take it slowly enough, but we need to be able to run an actual 5k distance.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    Still going! 2.5 mile run, w7d1. We're doing the distance rather than the time - ran more than 30 minutes today, so we've already finished the week 8 time requirements. Still not able to run 5k though. Two more days at the same distance, hoping to improve our speed a little.