What to do BEFORE you start!

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Great job starting again! What do you think is holding you back from getting beyond week three?
  • AngelRae83
    AngelRae83 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    hello im new to the group and im wanting to start this but not sure if i should wait till im a little more fit as im very over weight. also i have bad knees and just had surgery jan2. opinions would be appreciated and i love all the info
  • aprilyankee
    aprilyankee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have always hated running because It makes me feel like I want to die. Last autumn I was walking so fast and for such distances that I actually took flight a few times. Though, it felt like I was going to die, I did like how amazing I felt after I got home and collapsed :-) - I seriously want to pursue running and have downloaded the app on my new iphone. It is winter here, with lots of snow, (another thing I hate). I do not want to go outside until the spring so my question is this: Can I do the couch to 5K programming inside running and walking inplace? Has anyone done this? Any advise or thoughts are much appreciated.

I started the C25K in January 2014 and have been doing a combo of running in place and jogging around inside of my house. I figured since they have those walking in place videos that running in place would be the same. I checked MFP and they actually have a "jogging in place" cardio exercise so I consider it legit. I plan on getting a treadmill but haven't had the $.

I do have an elliptical and alternate on my non run days. I'm not strictly following the program as I was already doing cardio/elliptical prior. But I am running 4x a week, 2 days at 15 minutes and 2 at 30 minutes. On the days with 15 minute runs I also use the elliptical for 15-45 minutes. On 30 minute runs days I sometimes add yoga. I have one dedicated rest day. The other 2 days I use the elliptical, walk, do an exercise video or yoga.
  • lorettabernhardt
    lorettabernhardt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This made me really think. I have a new perspective. I think family walks will be our best starting point. Maybe after we have an active routine of walking we can all get on board with the plan! I have tried this program before and gave up because after week 3 it was too hard. This time I will just stick with it and repeat weeks in necessary :)
  • arlenejoneswilson
    arlenejoneswilson Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just joined the group. Your post is very encouraging-- I am looking forward to starting when the winter breaks.:wink:
  • arlenejoneswilson
    arlenejoneswilson Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Can you post a link to the app?
  • DanieRCC
    DanieRCC Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ericafittrainer
    ericafittrainer Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I am new to this message board, but so far I see some great information. I have been walking since November about 6 miles a day 3 days a week. I started incorporating some running in December. I really want to sign up for a 5K this spring, but nervous about that. Is this a realistic goal?
  • BrandNewAmy
    BrandNewAmy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thanks for the tips!!
  • XanthePersephone
    XanthePersephone Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump :heart:
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Fantastic advice! Thanks for taking the time to post these tips:)
  • elenagking
    elenagking Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these reminders! I've started walking with a few minutes of jogging this week. I'm going to do C25k next week.

When I first started a year and a half ago, I tore my knees up because 1) I didn't have a good enough walking base, 2) I wasn't stretching enough, 3) I I tried to much too soon, 4) I tried to run everyday instead of giving myself a recovery day for my knees.
  • amccord2
    amccord2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these reminders! I've started walking with a few minutes of jogging this week. I'm going to do C25k next week.

When I first started a year and a half ago, I tore my knees up because 1) I didn't have a good enough walking base, 2) I wasn't stretching enough, 3) I I tried to much too soon, 4) I tried to run everyday instead of giving myself a recovery day for my knees.

Thanks for sharing about your knees. My husband's suggestion was to run every day to "get ready quicker." I will not take that advice.
  • jedwards7425
    jedwards7425 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great tips! I had started c25k around 2 years ago and made it through to about week 5. Then life got busy, I got unmotivated and everything went to crap.

I am back and ready to start over. I have gained about 50 pounds since then but have started walking again so I have somewhat of a walking base. I will be starting next week! :happy:
  • kschick46
    kschick46 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am so happy I found this group, I am new to MFP and to this group. I actually started the C25K before joining and am really struggling with staying motivated. I just don't feel like I am moving forward....I am still just able to do the walk a minute run a minute. Run being a really slow jog for me and even at that my legs feel like they are going to fall off. :frown:

Hoping with everyone's help I can keep with it and be ready for my first 5k that's coming up in June.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group and to running. I did W1 D1 this past Wednesday. I decided a few weeks ago (when I could do jumping jacks for a minute, several sets without puking) that I may be able to do this. Endurance wise, I think I'm ready. My body may not be.

So I did the first run and had no problem running (slow) for the entire one minute intervals, hardly winded. After my cool down and walk back home my hips were so sore I could hardly get up the 3 steps to the door. My hips were sore for 2 days, and my feet hurt. I need running shoes, but bought a foam roller to deal with my IT bands after runs from now on. I will also incorporate dynamic stretches before I run. (I've googled a lot of these things, and talked with my PT). I was definitely a bit anxious to get the program going without knowing what to do before and after.

I'm 213 lbs right now (down from 251 and aiming for 150-170) and hoping that this might kick my calorie burn into high gear.
  • Courtee1213
    Courtee1213 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great tips! I'm looking forward to starting this program!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Perfect advise!! Thank you.
  • kbadeski
    kbadeski Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice! I completed the C25K program in 2008 and became a "runner"! I completed several 5k's and loved the shape I was in. Then in 2011 I injured my knee and lost my focus. I had lost about 50lbs before I started running and then lost another 60lbs over the running years. Since stopping, my weight has climbed back up to the same level I was in 2008 when I started runner. Now I feel like I'm right back at the starting line.

I started W1D1 this morning, and it felt great! My knees and hip screamed a bit at me, but I think if I take it slow and listen to my body I should be fine.

My goal is to complete W5 successfully inside 10 weeks! I know the math doesn't work, but last time I got stuck on the 20 min run for about 4-6 weeks. Once I finally passed that hurdle the rest came easy and I was running 45-60 min regularly. So now the goal is just to repeat that and stay motivated.
  • heales
    heales Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for this, just started week 2 of c25k and just returned to MFP so thanks for the inspiration!