Daily Check In Thread

Options
Resa52
Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
I swore there use to be one of these, but I'm not seeing it on the first two pages.

For those of us who want to talk about their run but don't want to start a whole new thread every time, check in here!

Replies

• Resa52
    Options
    I did Week 4, Day 1 today and totally bombed it.

In my defense, I was trying out new shoes that hurt my feet, but still

I managed to run 4 minutes in the first 5 minute stretch and then I speed walked (4.3 mph) the next 5 minute stretch because my heart rate was just out of control. I plan on trying Day One again on Friday.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You probably need to slow way down.
  • drink_me
    drink_me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I did w3d2 yesterday and its a struggle but I can get through it so that's a start. I'm scared of week 4 haha
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Don't worry about Week 4. All you need to do is W3 D3 in a couple of days. If you do that, then W4 D1 should be doable for you next week.
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with week 4 when I started. Vardaeml was right, once I slowed down I was able to complete week four and I just completed week 5. I got very emotional when I was able to complete that 20 min jog. I start week six next run.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Good for you, Beachgurl, on Week 5. It is an emotional run. That's when most of us break through whatever mental wall we've put between us and being a successful runner. Major milestone. Be proud!
  • Resa52
    Options
    You probably need to slow way down.

Yep, that's my plan for tomorrow's run. I like really challenging myself to get a better mile time each time (helps the treadmill time go by faster when I have something to focus on) but those spells of running fast (for me) really throw off my overall endurance.

Will be slowing down 1/2 mph for the next run and will probably do much better!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You'll get there soon enough :)
  • misskym
    misskym Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I completed W3D2 today. It wasn't bad at all, but I kept looking at the time during my last 3 minute run segment. It probably didn't help that I was running up a slight hill, it was cold and drizzly, and I'm working on changing my running form. I was running improperly from W1 - W2, and my knees killed me. I am definitely a LOT slower now that I'm paying attention to my feet. I've been doing 16-17 minute miles, and today I managed to do a 15 minute mile. I intentionally walk slow during my walk segments, so I can recover enough to run the entire 3 minutes without wanting to stop.

I still don't know if I'm landing on the ball of my foot properly, my calves were really tight toward the end. I'm not sure if that's because I was working muscles I wasn't working when I ran incorrectly, or if it's because I'm landing too much on my forefoot.
  • gabdhouse
    gabdhouse Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie, so I hope its ok to post here. I completed Week 1 and thought it went pretty well, I was proud of myself...that is unti Week2Day1, I thought I was gonna die! It was hard for me so needless to say I walked most of it. I think I'm going to start week 1 over. I'm jogging extremely slow and I did it every other day so I don't know what the problem is. On my off days I did contine to do my regular walks. Is that too much? Should I not exercise at all on my off days???
  • likitisplit
    Options
    A normal amount of exercise on your off days shouldn't be too much. I know you're saying that you're going really slowly, but my gut is that you aren't going slowly enough. Try running more slowly than you walk. I don't think you need to do W1 over again. Just do the last day or two until you can complete it.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I ran W6D2 today and it didn't go too well. I ran at a track and ran in lane 1 instead of my usual lane 7. Wow did that screw me up! Its funny how such a small change of routine can mess me up. I also wore different socks than my usual ones and my feet ache so bad. Lesson learned. I did finish the 2 runs and added an extra 6 minutes to the last run so thats good.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Some runs just suck no matter what you do or don't do. Still better than no run at all. Great job on completing and adding on some.
  • drink_me
    drink_me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I completed w3d3 today and it went okay. The second 3 minute run I struggled with. I think I'm focusing too much on trying to make sure I'm running correctly and I am trying to belly breathe. I think the next run I will try to just be more natural and not focus on those things so much. On to week 4 in a few days and I'm just going to see how it goes!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I did week 8, day 3 today! My app (Zen Labs) is 8 weeks so I graduated today!! I think I might do a week of 30 minute runs and move on to the 10k app....or just start running with no app.
  • mombieocalypse
    Options
    I completed W3D2 today. It wasn't bad at all, but I kept looking at the time during my last 3 minute run segment. It probably didn't help that I was running up a slight hill, it was cold and drizzly, and I'm working on changing my running form. I was running improperly from W1 - W2, and my knees killed me. I am definitely a LOT slower now that I'm paying attention to my feet. I've been doing 16-17 minute miles, and today I managed to do a 15 minute mile. I intentionally walk slow during my walk segments, so I can recover enough to run the entire 3 minutes without wanting to stop.

I still don't know if I'm landing on the ball of my foot properly, my calves were really tight toward the end. I'm not sure if that's because I was working muscles I wasn't working when I ran incorrectly, or if it's because I'm landing too much on my forefoot.

I am incredibly slow b/c I find I have to really think about how my feet are landing. Running outside is so much harder for me, but I hate the treadmill and wouldn't trade the outside running for anything.
  • mombieocalypse
    Options
    I did w5d3 tonight and it felt awesome. Going into every run I have wondered how I was going to do it, but I always push through and today was no different. I jog with a friend and it was tough on both of us. We checked and saw we were 7 minutes in and she said she wanted us to at least get to 8 and I said I thought we should try to push through to 10 minutes, (We were planning a 30-60 seconds recovery walk if needed). Well at 10 minutes we were still going and the next time I checked the app we had 5 minutes left and neither of us wanted to stop when we were so close. I noticed when I really struggled it personally helped me to try to pick up speed (even if it was only for 5-10 seconds). I struggle with a rhythm sometimes and that seemed to help reset me. If you asked me 5 weeks ago if a 260lb woman (with a cold) could jog for 20 minutes I would have told you it was impossible. Amazing what the body can do.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I did w5d3 tonight and it felt awesome. Going into every run I have wondered how I was going to do it, but I always push through and today was no different. I jog with a friend and it was tough on both of us. We checked and saw we were 7 minutes in and she said she wanted us to at least get to 8 and I said I thought we should try to push through to 10 minutes, (We were planning a 30-60 seconds recovery walk if needed). Well at 10 minutes we were still going and the next time I checked the app we had 5 minutes left and neither of us wanted to stop when we were so close. I noticed when I really struggled it personally helped me to try to pick up speed (even if it was only for 5-10 seconds). I struggle with a rhythm sometimes and that seemed to help reset me. If you asked me 5 weeks ago if a 260lb woman (with a cold) could jog for 20 minutes I would have told you it was impossible. Amazing what the body can do.

Congrats to you! Yes, amazing what our bodies can do, when our minds get out of the way. I'm so humbled by that fact, still... months after I finished c25k, I still marvel at what I can do... that which I never imagined possible. Today it was 4 miles. Incredible this all is. It's so nice when we give ourselves a chance. Good for you!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Four miles! That is great, can't even imagine running that far at the moment.

Last night I finally finished w7d3. Took me a couple of weeks because I was getting really bad cramp in my calves, finally figured out it was because I had started the Insanity workout again (I remember having really sore calves first time round). I stopped Insanity and had a couple of days rest and went out last night. It went really well, felt I could have carried on running but I didn't want to risk hurting my calves again. So glad to be back on track, roll on week 8!
  • birdiephd77
    Options
    I am using a different app on my phone so I think I am on week 8. I ran 26 minutes yesterday. I took today off. I will do 27 tomorrow. At this point I am making my own times and haven't been following the app much.