Daily Check In Thread

Replies

• kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    I completed w5d1 tonight and its getting a tiny bit easier every time I run. Unfortunately I'm getting a pain in my lower leg, inner ankle area. It feels like a shin splint but in the wrong place. I'm going to mention it to my doctor tomorrow when I see her for something else.

I'm still not breathing properly but at least I'm not dying anymore. lol.

Oh and I tried to run a bit outside yesterday and I can say its a LOT harder than on the treadmill. Every step was painful on my leg and knees. Its going to be a while before I do that again.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Took another crack at W4D1 and still couldn't run the entire time, despite drastically decreasing my speed (was running before at 5.0-5.2, max speed tonight was 4.5, mostly 4.3) Did discover that I can either slow jog or speed walk at 4.3 mph so I speed walked the last three and five minute session with a tiny bit of running in there as well. Will repeat the session again on Tuesday.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    I'm doing W1D3 today. I struggled with day one I guess because I had sat around all winter after having a baby and got lazy, but day two was a breeze. I really enjoyed it! Now I am finishing W1 today and can't wait to move on to W2. Little scared though. W2 was as far as I made it last time before the weather started getting to bad(winter) and I stopped. Wish me luck! :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Took another crack at W4D1 and still couldn't run the entire time, despite drastically decreasing my speed (was running before at 5.0-5.2, max speed tonight was 4.5, mostly 4.3) Did discover that I can either slow jog or speed walk at 4.3 mph so I speed walked the last three and five minute session with a tiny bit of running in there as well. Will repeat the session again on Tuesday.

Try slowing down a bit more on the runs and walk slower in the intervals too. Learning how to run slowly enough is really important going in to week 5.
  • likitisplit
    I noticed when I really struggled it personally helped me to try to pick up speed (even if it was only for 5-10 seconds). I struggle with a rhythm sometimes and that seemed to help reset me. If you asked me 5 weeks ago if a 260lb woman (with a cold) could jog for 20 minutes I would have told you it was impossible. Amazing what the body can do.

One thing that I noticed is that I tend to engage my core muscles more when I go faster. When I started engaging my core (instead of slumping) at slower speeds, it made those speeds more comfortable.

Also, congratulations! It's an amazing thing to push through your boundaries and see what you can *really* do. That's the beauty and the addiction of running...you can run for 20 minutes. What else could you do that you don't realize yet?
  • likitisplit
    I completed w5d1 tonight and its getting a tiny bit easier every time I run. Unfortunately I'm getting a pain in my lower leg, inner ankle area. It feels like a shin splint but in the wrong place. I'm going to mention it to my doctor tomorrow when I see her for something else.

I'm still not breathing properly but at least I'm not dying anymore. lol.

Oh and I tried to run a bit outside yesterday and I can say its a LOT harder than on the treadmill. Every step was painful on my leg and knees. Its going to be a while before I do that again.

I'm glad to see that you're improving. I hope your doctor has an easy answer.
  • likitisplit
    I'm doing W1D3 today. I struggled with day one I guess because I had sat around all winter after having a baby and got lazy, but day two was a breeze. I really enjoyed it! Now I am finishing W1 today and can't wait to move on to W2. Little scared though. W2 was as far as I made it last time before the weather started getting to bad(winter) and I stopped. Wish me luck! :)

Way to go for starting again. Every runner will end up taking time off and need to get back into condition. Good to know that you have what it takes already.
  • Veslus
    Veslus Posts: 72 Member
    W5D1 today. It was pouring rain, but it was oddly nice to run in. Although when I got home I spent some time wringing my hoodie out into the sink.

Looking forward to the rest of this week.
  • likitisplit
    I ran in a downpour last night. It was awesome. It's the little known secret of runners - rain feels so good to run in. Glad you had the courage to discover that for yourself. :)
  • Doing week 6 d 1 today. Hoping to use thses "shorter" segments to increase my speed. I know our group leader has us on a hill today and Wednesday. After the 20 minutes on Friday, anything is possible.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    W6D3 and i ran 30 minutes straight!! I think it was around 4k. Woo! I finally feel like I can do this now.

Weird thing though- My left foot was completely numb when I finished. I didn't even realize when jogging. I didn't tie my shoes too tight or anything. Is this something I should be concerned about? It only lasted 10ish minutes after I finished my run.
  • shrinking_me
    shrinking_me Posts: 207 Member
    W6D3 and i ran 30 minutes straight!! I think it was around 4k. Woo! I finally feel like I can do this now.

Weird thing though- My left foot was completely numb when I finished. I didn't even realize when jogging. I didn't tie my shoes too tight or anything. Is this something I should be concerned about? It only lasted 10ish minutes after I finished my run.

First of all . . . congrats!!!! 30 minutes straight is awesome!!!! No help with the numb foot but I used to get that on the X Trainer and Stationary Bike at the gym . . . no idea why but found it annoying!

Week 5, day 2 done and dusted today . . . feeling great too! Even managed a hill lol!!!! Woop woop!!! So enjoy running outside!!
  • drink_me
    drink_me Posts: 46 Member
    I posted on here before how I was so scared to do level 4... And today I DID IT. By the end I felt like I was going to die but I pushed through and completed it! I'm so proud!! Haha hopefully next time it will be easier!
  • misskym
    misskym Posts: 52 Member
    I completed W3D3 this morning! I'm a little nervous to start the next week and the 5 minute runs, but I'm excited about it, too. I'm still trying to perfect my running form, and I noticed I have to remind myself to stop looking at my feet. I find looking down really slows me down in terms of focus, breathing, form, and speed. I did a 13 minute mile today without trying, down 2 minutes from my last run. That felt nice, too.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    I ran 2.6 miles today, which is now routine for me (cannot believe that's true). The amazing part is that I hit a 12:20 pace average! I see 5MPH in my near future, woo hooo!!!
  • likitisplit
    I posted on here before how I was so scared to do level 4... And today I DID IT. By the end I felt like I was going to die but I pushed through and completed it! I'm so proud!! Haha hopefully next time it will be easier!

That is so awesome. One running secret: it stays the same amount hard. So, week 8 will be the same amount hard as today, but you will be going so much faster and further.
  • likitisplit
    I ran 2.6 miles today, which is now routine for me (cannot believe that's true). The amazing part is that I hit a 12:20 pace average! I see 5MPH in my near future, woo hooo!!!

Awesome time! Great job!
  • likitisplit
    I find looking down really slows me down in terms of focus, breathing, form, and speed.

Yes, you should be looking out at least 20 steps. Otherwise you're cutting off your air. Great time, BTW!
  • likitisplit

I have to be very careful to leave enough width in the toe box of my left shoe or that happens in my toes and the top of my foot. Eventually, I need to track down a sports medicine doctor and see why that happens. I think it is concerning.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Week 7 day 3 today. So excited! The 5k i signed up for is next saturday!