Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I can't really go before 9am, that when I've been doing it. I live in Florida and its been very stormy, and that brings the humidity. I think this is going to be a big problem for me as the weather heats up and humidity becomes an every day event. If I have to I can do it on my treadmill but I'd rather not! My son is doing it with me, and we both won't fit on the treadmill....lol!
    I live in FL too, and I noticed a huge difference when I ran yesterday with an overcast sky and slight drizzle. So nice! Go as early as you can, even if it's 9. It will still make a difference. And repeat weeks if you have to in order to build up your stamina. No shame in that, especially in this climate.

Living in FL is a mixed blessing. I love that I'll be able to do this all year round but hate the thought of all those 90 degree days just around the corner.
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I fully completed W2D1 on my first try!! It was baking hot outside but I decided to go for it anyway, and I DID it!!! I'm dying now....lol, but feel great!

Now for the questions....

How soon before doing this do you eat and drink, and how much?

Also, how much do you drink when coming back and how soon?

Sorry for all the questions, I am very new to this.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Finished workout 2 of week 7. It never gets easy, but I feel good when I'm done.

It's actually about to get a whole lot easier for you - unless you start the 10k program
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I can't really go before 9am, that when I've been doing it. I live in Florida and its been very stormy, and that brings the humidity. I think this is going to be a big problem for me as the weather heats up and humidity becomes an every day event. If I have to I can do it on my treadmill but I'd rather not! My son is doing it with me, and we both won't fit on the treadmill....lol!

You'll acclimate. It's not a great answer, but it's all I know. Check out some running groups in your area and see what the experienced Florida runners do.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    OMG!!!! Week 5, day 3 - smashed!!!! Managed 3.1km (1.9miles) in the 20min run . . . I can do this!!!!!!! :bigsmile:

Great job. That's a big milestone!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Everyone is doing so awesome! I love reading through this thread & getting tips & encouragement from you all!!

I did W5D2 the yesterday & first of all let me just say I was shocked when the big 8 popped up on the screen. I had no idea the run went from 5mins to 8 on day 2. I was struggling on day 1 to do my 3 5 minute runs but I went for it & got through the first 8 minute run. I didn't make it through the 2nd one though. I had to walk for a minute half way through the 2nd run, but thats ok. I"m going to do day 2 until I can get through them both.

The good news is I got through the whole thing with minimal lower leg pain, which I was having trouble with the week before. In fact it was my thigh muscles that were tired this time,which was a first. My breathing is still not great, hopefully it will get better soon.

I truly look forward to every run now. I wish I was able to run everyday. It makes me feel so accomplished and proud of myself when I do it I want that feeling everyday!!

You are coming along nicely. Great work and awesome job on not giving up when it gets tough!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I can't believe I fully completed W2D1 on my first try!! It was baking hot outside but I decided to go for it anyway, and I DID it!!! I'm dying now....lol, but feel great!

Now for the questions....

How soon before doing this do you eat and drink, and how much?

Also, how much do you drink when coming back and how soon?

Sorry for all the questions, I am very new to this.

I usually don't eat a heavy meal right before, just for comfort but I might have a snack if I feel like it.

I try to stay hydrated through the day, so I can get through runs <6 miles without carrying water. If I go out first thing in the water, I drink a cup or two of water before heading out. Maybe a piece of fruit or toast too, though running in the morning without eating first helps your body learn to process fat.

I drink until I'm not thirsty as soon as I can after running.

If you're doing anything under a half-marathon, you should be able to manage all this as you would with a normally active life-style.

Once you get over 6 miles, you need to bring water, and when you get in the 8-10 mile range, you'll need to bring a snack. After a long run or speed work, I drink chocolate milk to help repair and recovery.

A half-marathon will require carb-loading to make sure your muscles have enough glycogen and a marathon is a whole other thing entirely.
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Week 8 starts tomorrow for me. I just did some strength circuits today, hoping to be able to make it though the full 30 minute tomorrow! Wish me luck!

I'm sure if you take it easy and pace yourself you'll smash it!

Thank you! I am sure I will. I think I am going to take one more day to rest. I must have unwittingly tweaked something in my ankle last night (i sprained it in week 4 and had to take 2 weeks off before coming back) it hurts today and its a bit swollen so I am going to give it the day to rest and run tomorrow instead.
  • Veslus
    Veslus Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Finished week 5 day 3!!

Thought I was going to die at one point so I checked my phone to see how long I had left and realized I'd already run for 16 minutes. Realized I could totally finish this and knocked it out.

I feel awesome and I'm super proud of myself.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Finished week 5 day 3!!

Thought I was going to die at one point so I checked my phone to see how long I had left and realized I'd already run for 16 minutes. Realized I could totally finish this and knocked it out.

That's great!! Getting past that run is a major turning point. Keep that momentum going into week 6!
  • kellegg22
    kellegg22 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Finished week 3 this morning. The first half went by awesome, until the second half when my tendon and calves were tight and all I wanted to do was crawl home :(
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Finished week 3 this morning. The first half went by awesome, until the second half when my tendon and calves were tight and all I wanted to do was crawl home :(

One person on here stopped and stretched during his walking intervals when his calves tightened up. That sounds like a strategy you might want to use.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Finished week 5 day 3!!

You should be super proud of yourself. That's a milestone!
  • mombieocalypse
    Options

One person on here stopped and stretched during his walking intervals when his calves tightened up. That sounds like a strategy you might want to use.

I had to stop and stretch frequently in the first few weeks. I also noticed I needed to stretch alot more than others in my group did and I prefer to do a warm up walk and then stretch.
  • shrinking_me
    shrinking_me Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Finished week 5 day 3!!

FANTASTIC!!!!! I'm starting week 6 tomorrow :)
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Wow, how did I miss the update page???

Congrats to everyone just getting started & remember no matter how slow u "feel". U are smokin everybody still on the couch.
    GREAT JOB!

Tomorrow I start w6d1. My distance/pace have gradually dropped, but my endurance has become better than I ever could have imagined.
  • mombieocalypse
    Options
    Week 6d2 didn't go so great. I had to slow down and walk at one point. Oh well. There are a few reasons this week may have been tough on me:
    1. I noticed my speed has increased.
    2. The weather has warmed up a lot.
    3. There were a lot of hills on my run.
    4. Sometimes you just have a bad run.

I am going after it again on Sunday and will try to push closer to w6d3.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone. Awesome updates. Awesome balance of self-care. Just awesome. So cool!
  • shrinking_me
    shrinking_me Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Week 6, day 1 done and dusted this morning . . . found it quite easy compared to the 20min run last time lol . . . Unfortunately it's back to the treadmill for the week
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Had to put off my run today. Been struggling with a twisted ankle for about a wk.

Hope I don't lose too much time. :-(