Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I completed W3D2 today. It wasn't bad at all, but I kept looking at the time during my last 3 minute run segment. It probably didn't help that I was running up a slight hill, it was cold and drizzly, and I'm working on changing my running form. I was running improperly from W1 - W2, and my knees killed me. I am definitely a LOT slower now that I'm paying attention to my feet. I've been doing 16-17 minute miles, and today I managed to do a 15 minute mile. I intentionally walk slow during my walk segments, so I can recover enough to run the entire 3 minutes without wanting to stop.

I still don't know if I'm landing on the ball of my foot properly, my calves were really tight toward the end. I'm not sure if that's because I was working muscles I wasn't working when I ran incorrectly, or if it's because I'm landing too much on my forefoot.

I don't know if your using an APP but mine didn't mention to stretch your muscles once you have done your brisk warm up! I simply thought the 5 min brisk walk would be enough and after completing week 7 I had aches and pains. I've since read that after your 5 min warm up walk you should do some calf/thigh/ham string etc warm up stretches prior to your run. I've started to do these now and the tightness I was feeling in my calves etc is feeling better already, also do them at the end of your run. I use the NHS c25k program which the webpage also has advice on some recommended stretch routines (although not incorporated into the podcast). Also conflicting advice re: where to land on your foot some say heel, some middle, you say ball! No idea...
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Also conflicting advice re: where to land on your foot some say heel, some middle, you say ball! No idea...

I used the NHS podcasts and was a bit surprised when on one of the runs they were saying to land with your heel first. I was like, huh, are they really telling people this? It's a great program but they are doing a disservice by spreading bad information like that. Heel striking is for walking. For running it's causing terrible stresses on your lower leg.

Look up "Good Form Running" online. Changing my stride & cadence was the best thing I ever did and probably the only way I could have ever come back from injury.
  • FestivalDiva
    FestivalDiva Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that! Will check it out. Don't want an injury to stop play.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Mid to ball is what I read the most. However, there's conflicting evidence on heel striking causing injury. I know I feel a lot less pain/more power when I strike mid to ball. If you want ALL the theories, get "The Lore of Running" It's about 25 pounds and packed with detail, but it's got just about all the research.
  • grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I had been doing C25K with time instead of distance for the first three weeks and switched to distance for the W4D1 ... I knew I wanted to do that, because my 5K is now a month away so I wanted to make sure I could do the distance.

I rocked that bish. I am SO FREAKING PROUD of myself. I kept repeating: you are not going to die. Your legs don't hurt. Just keep breathing.

I'm not a runner ... except now I am, a little bit.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Still on my first week here (restarted when I switched to the Active.com app) and getting antsy because it's raining and I like to run in the morning. I don't mind being out in the rain, but I don't want to ruin my new shoes that are breaking in so nicely. It's funny, I've just gotten into this, but I already look forward to C25K days. I suspect that will change as the runs get harder.
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome. One running secret: it stays the same amount hard. So, week 8 will be the same amount hard as today, but you will be going so much faster and further.

This is so true! I thought that it would get easier as I progressed through the weeks but each run has been a challenge. It feels so great when I complete a run.

I am in week seven now and with the longer runs I notice there is a point (probably around halfway) that I struggle. I start to feel like my legs/feet want to give up. Maybe it's mental but when I push pass this part I feel like I get into a groove and it feels so great.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I had been doing C25K with time instead of distance for the first three weeks and switched to distance for the W4D1 ... I knew I wanted to do that, because my 5K is now a month away so I wanted to make sure I could do the distance.

I rocked that bish. I am SO FREAKING PROUD of myself. I kept repeating: you are not going to die. Your legs don't hurt. Just keep breathing.

We have been doing time and not distance as well and I really want to switch! I also have to keep repeating a mantra -- "The program says I can do it so I can do it!" LOL Sometimes I find that I feel a tiny bit like a runner as well :0) Great job!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Still on my first week here (restarted when I switched to the Active.com app) and getting antsy because it's raining and I like to run in the morning. I don't mind being out in the rain, but I don't want to ruin my new shoes that are breaking in so nicely. It's funny, I've just gotten into this, but I already look forward to C25K days. I suspect that will change as the runs get harder.

NO! IT doesn't - in my experience, as the runs get harder and I actually DO them I look forward to the next one! It's a challenge now. Once I competed that 20 minute run I knew I could do anything the program threw at me :0)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    This is so true! I thought that it would get easier as I progressed through the weeks but each run has been a challenge. It feels so great when I complete a run.

I am in week seven now and with the longer runs I notice there is a point (probably around halfway) that I struggle. I start to feel like my legs/feet want to give up. Maybe it's mental but when I push pass this part I feel like I get into a groove and it feels so great.

Week 7 is one of the tougher weeks. But, yeah, I've started to welcome that feeling of wanting to give up because I know what's going to happen next.
  • likitisplit
    Options

NO! IT doesn't - in my experience, as the runs get harder and I actually DO them I look forward to the next one! It's a challenge now. Once I competed that 20 minute run I knew I could do anything the program threw at me :0)

Oh, no. We have another addict! LOL.
  • likitisplit
    Options

We have been doing time and not distance as well and I really want to switch! I also have to keep repeating a mantra -- "The program says I can do it so I can do it!" LOL Sometimes I find that I feel a tiny bit like a runner as well :0) Great job!

Let me put this bluntly: ya'll are runners. You will find no definition of "runner" in any of the books or magazines or blogs or anywhere else that would exclude you.

Runners are a VERY inclusive bunch. We all know how HARD it is to get out there that first day and how hard those first 10 minutes of a run are and how hard you push yourself to get better. Everybody feels slow. Everybody would like to do better and go farther. Everybody struggles with getting out the door. Everybody has a dream and a goal that they're not sure they can ever meet. That's all part of being a runner.

And we all know what is on the other side of that too. There are too many people in the the world that couldn't understand why we run even if we had the words to explain it to them. There is a reason why Scott Jurek hangs out in a sleeping bag after an ultra marathon and congratulates all the finishers. Part of it is because he's awesome. But a lot of it is just because he's a runner.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Finished workout 2 of week 7. It never gets easy, but I feel good when I'm done.
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I repeated week 1D3 yesterday. The previous walk/run I did went well, but yesterday's was really hard work because the weather was very humid. Tomorrow is supposed to be really humid again. I'm not sure if I should move on or repeat again. When the weather is not humid i seem to do so much better.

I just don't want to fail miserably!!

Any suggestions?
  • Veslus
    Veslus Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I repeated week 1D3 yesterday. The previous walk/run I did went well, but yesterday's was really hard work because the weather was very humid. Tomorrow is supposed to be really humid again. I'm not sure if I should move on or repeat again. When the weather is not humid i seem to do so much better.

I just don't want to fail miserably!!

Any suggestions?

Are you able to go early in the morning when it's not warm yet?
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I can't really go before 9am, that when I've been doing it. I live in Florida and its been very stormy, and that brings the humidity. I think this is going to be a big problem for me as the weather heats up and humidity becomes an every day event. If I have to I can do it on my treadmill but I'd rather not! My son is doing it with me, and we both won't fit on the treadmill....lol!
  • shrinking_me
    shrinking_me Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!! Week 5, day 3 - smashed!!!! Managed 3.1km (1.9miles) in the 20min run . . . I can do this!!!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Week 8 starts tomorrow for me. I just did some strength circuits today, hoping to be able to make it though the full 30 minute tomorrow! Wish me luck!
  • shrinking_me
    shrinking_me Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Week 8 starts tomorrow for me. I just did some strength circuits today, hoping to be able to make it though the full 30 minute tomorrow! Wish me luck!

I'm sure if you take it easy and pace yourself you'll smash it!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing so awesome! I love reading through this thread & getting tips & encouragement from you all!!

I did W5D2 the yesterday & first of all let me just say I was shocked when the big 8 popped up on the screen. I had no idea the run went from 5mins to 8 on day 2. I was struggling on day 1 to do my 3 5 minute runs but I went for it & got through the first 8 minute run. I didn't make it through the 2nd one though. I had to walk for a minute half way through the 2nd run, but thats ok. I"m going to do day 2 until I can get through them both.

The good news is I got through the whole thing with minimal lower leg pain, which I was having trouble with the week before. In fact it was my thigh muscles that were tired this time,which was a first. My breathing is still not great, hopefully it will get better soon.

I truly look forward to every run now. I wish I was able to run everyday. It makes me feel so accomplished and proud of myself when I do it I want that feeling everyday!!