Hypo-what's your worst symptom?

Options

Replies

• jroseonline
    jroseonline Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    To those that suffer or have suffered hair loss, is there anything to treat it? Has anyone had substantial hair loss and then found something to diminish it? Would Armour over Levothyroxine, for example, make an impact on the hair loss?

regarding hair loss, i have thick hair and a lot of it. i lose a lot of hair on a daily basis, but because i have so much it's not noticeable. I started taking Biotin 1000mcg on a daily basis and have noticed that I do not lose as much hair and that my nails also have been growing stronger.

Maybe this might help for those that are suffering brittle nails and/or hair loss.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    To those that suffer or have suffered hair loss, is there anything to treat it? Has anyone had substantial hair loss and then found something to diminish it? Would Armour over Levothyroxine, for example, make an impact on the hair loss?

regarding hair loss, i have thick hair and a lot of it. i lose a lot of hair on a daily basis, but because i have so much it's not noticeable. I started taking Biotin 1000mcg on a daily basis and have noticed that I do not lose as much hair and that my nails also have been growing stronger.

Maybe this might help for those that are suffering brittle nails and/or hair loss.

Exactly what I was going to say. My hair stylist, who has thyroid issues herself, told me biotin is amazing
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to get some. :happy:
  • PCOSgal
    Options
    Thinning hair and fatigue!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I notice a lot of people have vertigo. Is this worse when you are sick? And is there any connection with motion sickness? I have always hated amusement park rides and airplane rides, they make me so physically ill! After reading these posts I am wondering if there is some connection.
  • sassynurse78
    Options
    exhaustion! I feel like i am losing out on so much in life because I just don't want to do anything. Followed by depression and constipation.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I notice a lot of people have vertigo. Is this worse when you are sick? And is there any connection with motion sickness? I have always hated amusement park rides and airplane rides, they make me so physically ill! After reading these posts I am wondering if there is some connection.

I definitely get more vertigo when I'm sick. I just fought off something a few weekends ago, and sometimes I would have to grasp the wall or a door just to keep myself upright (sometimes I'd even be sitting). It's gotten better since I've gotten better.
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Weight gain and constipation.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Add me to the no clue vertigo is a symptom. I have pathetic balance from it. Had no idea it was thyroid related, I just thought it was a quirk I had that was made worse by being so morbidly obese.

I am not sure which symptom is the worst. Probably the tiredness, vertigo would be a big one, constipation, heart palps, are probably the bigger things. Eyebrow hair and brittle hair and thin nails are just annoying to me.
  • cvillneauve
    Options
    My worst and most constant symptos are weight gain and fatigue followed by depression. I am a very positive person but the constant fatigue puts a huge toll on my ability to keep in good spirits.

Next to that is night sweats. It is not easy to stay asleep at night when you are constantly waking up in a puddle of sweat.

I can say I have had all of the symptoms that have been mentioned in this thread but luckily they are not a constant occurence.

I just received an increase in my dose of Levothyroxine a few days ago so I am hoping I will see a reduction in the symptoms I am currently having. I do know when my levels are 2.5 or under, I feel FABULOUS....on top of the world. When I am within the 3.2 - 5 mark, I feel tired. It is next to impossible to find a doctor that will increase your medication if your TSH levels are not over 5.
  • CarolinaMoon76
    Options
    I had no idea vertigo was a symptom and I have had an underactive thyroid for 15 years! Is this why I have such bad balance???

(Oh the shame of all those embarrassing falls......)

The worst for me are:
    The weight gain and difficulty losing weight
    The dry skin
    The eyebrows - omg, I had lovely eyebrows once. Now my beautician does the eyebrow equivilant of a comb over when I get them done. Tip for you all - tinting can work.
    The cold
    The tiredness
    The fact that my levothyroxine meds started at 25mg and are now at 200mg and this will get worse according to the doc. How much worse can it get?
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Cold & tiredness/fatigue but over the last month I have been experiencing aching in my upper arms (both, left being the worst)
    Does that sound like hypo symptom? Until now I was unsure what to blame it on, but now I am wondering??? Anybody else have unexplained aches?
  • cvillneauve
    Options
    My TSH levels were hovering around 50 this winter and I had aches everywhere. I felt like I had the flu. It was awful. Once my increased Synthroid dose started, it took a few weeks but finally receded.
  • Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    Mine is my weight and my skin.. My hands are so dry they crack and bleed and I just can't seem to get it under control. It's absolutely embarrassing.
  • PlusSizeGal
    PlusSizeGal Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    hypothyroidism, as im typing this im feeling like if im a fall out my seat...
    Weight gain, Insomnia, I feel cold a lot, I have Dry skin, sometimes Im constipated, irregular periods,
    paying attention, I get irritated/annoyed easily, slow metabolism, brittle nails, Dry Feet, losing hair, but only when i shower my hair falls out when Im washing it....

Im not taking medication, I dont have a doctor since I've been living in Florida yet.. and trying to look around for a free clinic
    havent found one that is near by and I dont drive :(.
  • CarolinaMoon76
    Options
    Gosh ladies, I am really disgusted and horrified that so many of you can't take vital medication because of cost (not at you btw but at your health system). In the uk medical care is free and whilst most people do pay a charge for drugs its a small fee of less than £10.00 per item. However hypothyroidism drugs are free because it is a lifelong illness.
  • sometimes_blondie
    Options
    Wow! I've had dizziness and light-headedness too. A couple of times I passed out, and I thought it was an iron issue! I would say that, the cold (it's getting real cold in Wisconsin right now! :frown: ), the joint aches, and fatigue that is almost crushing. Before I started treatment, I would be yawning halfway through a workout!!
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Fatigue and weight gain for me.. But I've been on medication for a week now and have already lost 3lbs! :drinker:
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Sluggish - especially in the mornings!
    When I first got on medicine that was the first improvement I saw! I could wake up in the morning and not be as slow or tired, for the first time in my life!
  • jess42982
    Options
    I think the fatigue is probably the worst, but the weight gain is right up there. Sometimes I just have no motivation to do anything. Also I used to love food, but now I hate it because I can look at it and gain weight. It's so frustrating. I also get the aches and pains, which make me feel like an old woman, when I am only in my 30s!