Professions to stay away from or vice versa

Options

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    A couple of late additions to the list......

For women, NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL professional athletes.

For men, attractive female sideline reporters for major TV networks. They may be top tier in looks, but the travel schedule (potentially not enough time spent together) and rumors of/potential for sex with pro players probably make it a difficult proposition in many cases.

Isn't think kind of like telling a woman to avoid George Clooney because he's not the marrying type? I'll take my chances thank you very much... you know if I ever meet him :wink:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Sooooo I found out that my cop fella is on POF. Okay, cool. Well he's been chatting it up with MY cousin!!! I saw him on her FB as added the other day. I asked her how she knew him and she told me.

Kind of weirded out so Ive been ignoring his texts now. He's also only 26. Next!!!
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    WOW! My son's father is a musician, former Army and Navy, and is a cop. I obviously was going for them all in one fell swoop. lol

I live in the biggest military installation in the world, so avoiding military guys is impossible. I like dating military. They are usually polite, fit, and have a consistent income. There are assbags but that counts for all professions. I tend to be attracted to guys in authoritarian professions. That, and the uniforms are hot. :blushing:
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Avoid married women with a hunter for a husband... I sprained my ankle jumping out of a 2nd story window once half naked, wasn't worth the hassle.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options

Avoid military types..especially when overseas. Pretty much all married or divorced with major baggage. Stereotype yes..true 9/10 times.

My friends tried to warn me, but I didn't listen, and I should have. MAJOR BAGGAGE and too much aggression. Yeesh.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Avoid young, beautiful, childless, party girls. . . Unless you are just looking for fun. .then seek out young, beautiful, childless, party girls. But. .if you are looking for a wife. . they are a bad bet. . trust me.

Hey now! Not true.
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Avoid married women with a hunter for a husband... I sprained my ankle jumping out of a 2nd story window once half naked, wasn't worth the hassle.

But the married women whose husband don't hunt are ok?
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options

Less guns to shoot you with... I was just kidding btw.

You have all successfully eliminated 80% of the occupations out there... maybe it would be easier to list professions to go for??
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options

You have all successfully eliminated 80% of the occupations out there... maybe it would be easier to list professions to go for??

I tend to go for the married husbands whose wives don't hunt.

I was thinking that too .. apparently there is no one that is good to date except a teacher and I work at a school and disagree with that statement .... ahahahahahahah
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

It looks like my original statement was correct.
    Farmer/mechanic/parts sales is where it is at. :smokin:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    A couple of late additions to the list......

For women, NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL professional athletes.

I would add to this any kind of celebrity. I just think I couldn't deal with wondering what he was doing out there when on the road. Unless it was Patrick Kane, then maybe I could deal with it as long as he came home to me...

Just kidding...I think.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

I saw no one list computer/IT guys/girls. YES! :happy:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I think teachers are generally a safe bet. They seem to be good with communication, conflict resolution, and they tend to be good with kids. They seem to get a sick a lot though since they are around so many germs.

I definitely try to stay away from strippers, bartenders, and anybody that works nights. I've never dated a lawyer but I feel like they would e pretty argumentative and use it to their advantage. I'm friends with a lot of doctors and all they seem to talk about anymore is doctor stuff. Outside of the medical industry they have no social skills.

ahh frak, I missed this. Guess I'm out. :sad:
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options

I would recommend IT guys, as would a lot of my friends. Accountants get a bad rep for being boring, but I think that's changed a lot in the last 10-15 years. I do agree that Engineers are great. My brother is one and I love his group of friends.

To be honest, I do have reservations about some occupations, but obviously my dating "rules" have not worked thus far. No occupation is a deal breaker (except a stripper). If I feel some kind of connection with a man, I'll give him a chance. :)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

I would recommend IT guys, as would a lot of my friends. Accountants get a bad rep for being boring, but I think that's changed a lot in the last 10-15 years. I do agree that Engineers are great. My brother is one and I love his group of friends.

To be honest, I do have reservations about some occupations, but obviously my dating "rules" have not worked thus far. No occupation is a deal breaker (except a stripper). If I feel some kind of connection with a man, I'll give him a chance. :)

I love people that know how to fix/build things. Be it tech related, home related, car related - I dunno. I think it just tends to indicate a mind that likes figuring out puzzles and problems (higher IQ).
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I think teachers are generally a safe bet. They seem to be good with communication, conflict resolution, and they tend to be good with kids. They seem to get a sick a lot though since they are around so many germs.

I definitely try to stay away from strippers, bartenders, and anybody that works nights. I've never dated a lawyer but I feel like they would e pretty argumentative and use it to their advantage. I'm friends with a lot of doctors and all they seem to talk about anymore is doctor stuff. Outside of the medical industry they have no social skills.

I feel better knowing that the job I'm going to end up with makes me a "safe bet". Whew. Relief.
    Sounds like you're being sarcastic. Are you not happy with being a safe bet? It was meant to be a compliment, there are a lot of things I like about teachers.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    How do you y'all feel about zookeepers/zoologists?
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    How do you y'all feel about zookeepers/zoologists?

Hmmmm......never met one, so I can't add anything other than you have me wondering as well.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Marines can't handle me. I make them peel their faces off.

They cannot deal with my spontaneity, my affinity for throwing all the rules out the window and developing my own better ones, the dust in my room, the christmas lights on every wall, my distracting habit of running off at any moment, climbing trees, having an imagination, being happy almost all the time, etc.

Marines end up in fetal position asking me wtf dropped me on my head at birth and crippled me from being able to behave like a goddamn serious adult....
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Widows. I really hate to say that. But, I've dated two and ended up being hurt in the end. Both were great men that loved their wives dearly. Thought they were ready to move on. I dated one of them for 3 months before he just stopped talking with me abruptly. Never returned a call, never emailed. Just told me he didn't love me and that was that. The other, I went on one date with and the whole time he talked about and compared me to her the whole time....both had been widowed about a year. So...no widows.

Yeah, I agree. I avoid widows too. Seems to me that they'll never replace the love of their life. Although, I dont think that my logic is logical!! :laugh:

What if he actually murdered his first wife? Seems like he'd be over her, almost by definition, and would hence be acceptable to date. Might be an insurance windfall as a bonus. Hello, honeymoon in Thailand!

--P

Oh, hey now. Someone with a mind as equally demented as mine. I tend to turn everything into a crime. Nice to meet ya!