Any Natural Hair Groups???

Options

Replies

• Jessjs100
    Jessjs100 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't want to do the bc so I'm transitioning. I am 7 months post relaxer.
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am natural, did the BC about a year and half ago and wore weaves the entire time. I just decided to give the weaves up for a while and rock my nappy bush. I am putting box braids in tomorrow though as a protective style....I probably wear braids till my birthday in February!!!!

Feels good being a natural beauty dont it ladies!!!
  • Dimaati
    Options
    I've been loc'd for since 1992. Then had to cut my hair for surgery in 2006(infected with chicken poxs at 33-almost died but blessed be!! Survived it!!) then starting regrowing in 2006-07 while recovering. Stlll loc'd in 2012. Tried many of the so called natural & really 'you have to hand churn the butter?' natural products. And since I have a sensitive scalp, I can say with all honesty, not everything works on every body. For me, working out with locs used to be annoying (locs in the eyes, trapping myself to the weight bench) but I learned so up do & super strong ponytail holders that keep me from taking out my eye, lol!!

I don't know if there's any natural hair groups on MFP but there is, please let me know or add me. Thanks!!
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've rocked my natural hair since 1986...whew that's a long time. Loc'd when I got pregnant with my now 13 year old son. Lately my stylist and I have been experimenting with cutting it shorter and shorter and I LOVE IT!....Got tired of the whole locs to the butt experience. Now everything including running and swimming is so much easier without the weight of the hair.
  • Dotz4skinny
    Dotz4skinny Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been natural for almost 6 years now and have no plans on relaxing it EVER again. I'm currently interested in dying my hair (red? blue? purple?).

Advice for anyone starting the "natural hair journey?"

- Keep it simple! trust me, the last thing your hair needs is more complications. Keep the main thing the main thing: Water, Oil, Cheap conditioner, and leave in conditioner. Skip the grease.

- YouTube is your best friend

- Avoid heat. Limit hair-straightening to 4 times a year. Trust me, in time you'll end up missing your natural hair after two days of having it straight.

- Keep your ends on point! Don't be so concerned about growing long hair that you hoard the split ends as well. There's nothing more unattractive than a head full of dead hair. Trim once every 3-4 months.

- Always wrap your hair with a silk scarf (or satin) before going to bed. Even if your hair is not set or styled; this will save you a lot of frizz and damage in the long run.

Product Recommendations:

Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in Conditioner (MUST GET!!!)
    Pantene Relaxed & Naturals Moisturizing Cream (great for the cold seasons)
    Lorea'l Sulfate-Free Shampoo
    Redken Smooth Down Serum (for heat styling)

Best of Luck Naturalistas!
  • ReDoableMe
    ReDoableMe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There's a fitness and black hair group here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/912-black-hair-and-fitness It's not very active, but I think we can fix that!

I've been natural since 2003 and flat ironed for the first time this summer. Scared the crap out of me to actually SEE how long it's gotten!! (my pic doesn't show but it's down my back) I've since gone back to protective styles that I don't have to mess with too often (braids, twists, etc.) cuz I'm lazy like that lol!
  • kchrizzy
    kchrizzy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I BC my hair last year and it released me from a lot of stress. I'm able to work out without worrying about hair related issues. Before the chop, not sweating out my hair was one of my weak excuses for not working out much. Now, I can do what I want. So, I just wanted to say hello to you and wish everyone the best! :flowerforyou:
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    NATURAL almost 2 years Labor Day. Still can't adjust to my hair being so freakin dry... I got some thirsty hair boy...
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have been relaxer free for almost 10 months now actually tomorrow will be my 10 month point!!! and i did my BC almost 4 months ago July 17th!!! and yes i love the frredom now of working out and not worrying about how my hair will look. I love my hair, so yes if there is a group let me know, and anyone can add me if they like!!
  • naturallyadiva
    naturallyadiva Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been natural for 6 years now, had a set back with my hair and some breakage last year but still going strong!
  • ukloveme
    ukloveme Posts: 125
    Options
    I been natural for 16yrs but had my locs for 8yrs. hello all will add you all xx
  • ukloveme
    ukloveme Posts: 125
    Options
    Happy New Year
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    This is my 6th year being natural and my first year of my body transformation journey. Go figure I never really learned how to take care of my ends and as my hair got longer I really let it get out of hand the same way I let my body go. So I'm now learning to maintain my hair with finger detangling, and along with a health and workout regimen I now have a better hair regimen :-) Yay for healthy body and hair! :-)
  • ms_isis12
    Options
    Yes and I've been natural for almost 4 years. I love that I can throw my hair is a puff and get my workout in! :-)
  • ladyt02
    ladyt02 Posts: 14
    Options
    I love that i can work on me inside and out.. so natural and love it.. along with exercising i also educate myself on hair, food, and vitamins and having a positive attitude especially in the new year.:blushing:
  • rainx03
    rainx03 Posts: 16
    Options
    I've been natural since birth. Has anyone else always been natural?
  • rainx03
    rainx03 Posts: 16
    Options
    Yes and I've been natural for almost 4 years. I love that I can throw my hair is a puff and get my workout in! :-)

That's what I do. I put my hair in a puff. Workout. Shower. Co-wash, moisturize, and twist(or braid). Get up the next day. Take out the twists(or braids) and do my puff and repeat :)
  • Faithhopenlove
    Faithhopenlove Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I've been natual for about 4 years and wishing I would have done it years ago. I love the freedom of being who God created me to be :smile:
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I've been natural since birth. Has anyone else always been natural?

I too have been natural since birth :-)
  • trugift
    trugift Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have been natural on and off for the last ten years, my journey this year though is to STAY natrual and no cutting...I also made my own shea butter mix last night so I am excited about this journey!