November 1st - Menopausal Mad Hatters Chatter :laugh:

Options
124»

Replies

• Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Janet, I am so happy for you. You give me hope , that I will be able to get this weight off and one day can say I'm not obese.... You ROCK !!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Rocking...How about a bit of BOSTON to add to your playlist....

Peace of Mind

Now if you're feelin' kinda low 'bout the dues you've been paying
    Future's coming much too slow
    And you wanna run but somehow you just keep on stayin'
    Can't decide on which way to go
    Yeah, yeah, yeah

I understand about indecision
    But I don't care if I get behind
    People livin' in competition
    All I want is to have my peace of mind. (yea

Now you're climbin' to the top of the company ladder
    Hope it doesn't take too long
    Can't cha see there'll come a day when it won't matter
    Come a day when you'll be gone
    [ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/boston/peace+of+mind_20023067.html ]
    All I want is to have my peace of mind.

Take a look ahead, take a look ahead, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah... whoa!

Now everybody's got advice they just keep on givin'
    Doesn't mean too much to me
    Lot's of people out to make-believe they're livin'
    Can't decide who they should be.

All I want is to have my peace of mind.

Take a look ahead, take a look ahead. Look ahead
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Love it, Gail!

Heading off to work.. but skipping because I'm so happy for Janet and TA! :o) ( ok.. and part of it is cause I only have 4 to do LOL)

Have a great night ... I'll be the "lonely little petunia in the onion patch" all night! (anyone remember THAT song?" LOL):laugh:
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Stumbled across this on the boards and thought it was to good to not share

I once heard a very wise person say that she was just one cookie away from being 300 lbs again (she was about 150 lbs at the time). I thought that statement was a little drastic at the time. However, I have come to realize the truth of it. I followed a very rigid eating plan to lose the weight after my 4th child. But when my baby turned one, that piece of birthday cake that I ate quickly turned into 20 lbs gained. I know now that if I don't keep control of the food, it will control me. That being said, I find the thought of eating healthy for the rest of my life to be a little (okay, a lot) daunting. That's why tomorrow has become my best friend. I tell myself that I'm going to eat healthy forever, so I will enjoy one last day of treats today. Unfortunately, today has lasted for several months.

So my new mantra is "For Today". I will not think about eating healthy tomorrow (until tonight when I plan tomorrow's food). I will decide to eat healthy "for Today". When I get through today, I will recommit tomorrow, and the next day and the next. Hopefully, when I've chosen the right enough times, I will forget to have to choose, it will just be my life.
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    TA, that is a perfect comment for this time of year. I have already heard people talking about starting a diet, after Thanksgiving or after the holidays. Why not today? Healthy eating is not an all or nothing proposition, but we have all had that attitude.

Tomorrow, I intend to SAVOR the food that I eat. To do that I will make sure that I taste every bite that I eat, so that when I finish a bite of food, I will be able to tell you what the food smelled like, how it looked, the texture, the different flavors. In between every bite, I will make sure that I put my fork down and say something or listen to someone. It will take me a little longer to eat, but I think I will enjoy it more than any other Thanksgiving meal.

That is after I review all the things that I am thankful for, and all of my Hatter friends will be high on the list.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!
  • Leslye125
    Leslye125 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Ladies,

I actually had a couple minutes that I could log on a real computer and say hi. I want you to know I miss you all SO MUCH. In the past months things have just really gotten insane. Some bad, some good, all just crazy. :noway:

We went through another lay off at work (oops not supposed to say layoff, its a "re-org") I still have my job, but we lost another dozen within my department alone. I am now a receptionist in the front office area. Hence why I can't log onto personal web-sites during the day. I have dozens of people passing by my computer all day long. Some staff, some students and faculty. The Dean strolls by from time to time too. That's all I need is to have her see me on MFP. All student workers were let go too, so I have no help whatsoever. At least I am busy and my days go by like a flash, but by the time I get home I am mentally and emotionally exhausted. One good thing about some recent changes at work, my direct supervisor (from hell) has decided to retire!!!! :bigsmile: Her last day is Dec 14th! I am so excited! My new supervisor is amazing. I've been indirectly working with her for a little over a year, but she is so awesome, she "gets it". I love working for her. Still wish I didn't HAVE to work, but at least now, with her, I don't completely dread coming in every day.

When I get home, the last thing I want to do is think about logging food, working out or turning on a computer again!. By the Grace of God alone, I've been maintaining my weight, I've lost/gained a few here and there and looks like I am on the down hill again, hopefully I will survive the holiday food orgy we have tomorrow unscathed. :laugh: I LOVE Thanksgiving, its my favorite holiday of the entire year. Yes, the food, but more, at least for me, its the family, friends and lack of shopping pressure to get the perfect gift. The menu is always the same, I know how to do it, and I am in my element in the kitchen. :drinker:

In addition to work, things at my church were getting very odd and we decided to take a back seat because of a few things taking place. I've given up being a youth coach. I do miss my kids, but for now I know its best. Emotionally, I have been a wreck, borderline suicidal again. I know this is not good for these girls. How can I tell them how much Jesus loves them, when I question it myself every single day? I started going back to counseling, they wanted me to do drugs again, but I told them a definitive HELL NO! :explode: I will get through this naturally! I'm not exactly sure what tripped and caused me to fall, maybe just everything on the stress plate I've been served. I don't know, I don't really care. I just need to protect ME in all this.

As you all recall, my oldest daughter moved in with us earlier this summer. The man I am married to is not her father. My daughter is an amazing young woman. Beautiful heart and spirit. She'd give the shirt off her back to anyone who would ask her for it. Working, going to school. In an amazing relationship with an awesome kid. However, she can't clean to save her life! Now, mind you, I am OCD on cleaning and my husband is just a step below me in that category. Her room and her bathroom can become, shall we say, atrocious! It sometimes rolls out into the common areas of the kitchen and living area. I knew this coming into this new living arrangement, so I warned my hubby of this before we all agreed to it.

I can, somewhat, close my eyes to her rooms, and let it go. He can't... I will go through from time to time, pick up, straighten and do her laundry for her, just because I know it will drive my him nuts if I don't. However, he will get to a point where he looses his mind, we have a huge fight about it, he will go through her room, start tossing things and wanting to re-arrange, throw stuff away, etc. I wait until the steam settles, return everything he was about to toss, and move on. This happens every couple of weeks or so. I have spoken with her about it, she's gotten a little better, but she will never be the clean freaks that he and I are. God love her, I hope she never does! I hate being so OCD about this! I'd never wish this on anyone!!! So this is added to my daily stress too.

I'm on the uphill slide, even though it doesn't sound like it. The changes I am making I know are for the better. The only thing I've not figured out, is how to have the energy, motivation and time to put back logging food and running again. I miss running, it was an outlet for stress and gave me the chance to clear my head. However, knowing that I have to start ALL OVER, that walking will likely kill me, really is a de-motivator. I know, I know..... like Nike "Just Do It". I don't have energy, but running will give me more energy. Gah!! The vicious cycle of hell we all find ourselves in...

Well there you have it ladies. I am still here, and seriously, I do think of you every day! I will read the daily status from my phone from time to time. Please know, I am praying for you all daily, and that I will find the balance I seek to come back and really be a part of your lives again. I miss that so much.

Leslye
  • TArnold2012
    Options
    Oh my Leslye yes I can see how the combination of all the above could make a person question so much. I do pray that there comes a peacefulness over each and ever situation you are confronted with.

As for the logging I often find myself feeling the same way. I push myself to log my food but often hang and just read the post. That is the good part of having such a support group of ladies, each accept each's coming and goings without judgement.

Snoozie saw your lost, you must be excited. It is going to be wonderful when you return to the doctor with the progress you are making. I am excited for you !!!! I do hope they get done with the building noise soon, I would have thought the tenants would have been informed :grumble:

Well working on some foods for tomorrow and Gone With the Wind starts in 2 minutes :love:
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Hiya Hatters!

Had to escape for a few hours from the noise, so treated myself to a color job on the hair... but considering I am today all SEVEN of the 7 dwarves of Menopause (itchy, *****y, sweaty, forgetful, psycho.. and I can't remember the others :sad: i DIDN'T THINK i SHOULD BE ON THE ROAD WITH OTHER HUMANS lol. Probably the only thing that's kept me from ripping the jackhammers out of their hands is that I don't wanna end up in jail LOL. oh well.. they've been working on the underground for weeks.. but never the JH til of course when I start nights.!! Friday is our big girls night out.. so I may go to my sister's to sleep while she's at work.. believe it or not i do have to be conscious and relatively "with it" at work .. so I'm putting in the ear plugs and heading back shortly.. but wanted to pop in and wish all the Hatters a wonderful Thanksgiving.. and somebody better have pie for me!!

I love that we're all really changing our attitudes and attachments to food... that we know we can enjoy a lovely meal and time with friends and family, without guilt or panic .. we've come a long way ladies.. so IPOMS for all of us!!

Leslye.. lovely to see you back; so sorry you've had such a stressful time... but very glad to hear things are on the upswing, specially with the boss from hell leaving.. woo hoo! That should lessen at least some of the load... and as TA said, the great thing about the Hatters is exactly that... always welcomed back (or new) with open arms and support and encouragement and friendship... so know we'll always be here for ya when you can get some "me" time!!

K...off to bed.. will check in tonight.. btw thanks to Gail I had nightmares about being chased by a giant lima bean.. keep your fingers crossed they don't come back this aft :laugh: :laugh:
  • KateinND
    KateinND Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving Hatters,

My thankful song would be

Be Thankful
    (by c. jackson & m. yancy)

You may be in a big city or drivin down a country lane, yeah
    Workin two jobs to make a livin
    And all you do is complain, well
    You should be thankful of what you got
    Yes, you should be thankful of all you got
    Wakin up in the mornin seein the sun rise (well, well)
    Is enough to say I thank you, lord
    Rollin over seein my baby’s eyes, uh
    Is enough to say I thank you, lord
    I just wanna say thank you (thank you)
    Thank you (thank you) thank you, thank you, lord
    (thank you) thank you (thank you) thank you
    (thank you) thank you, lord---
    Be thankful of what you got (you know you should)
    Be thankful of all you got
    You may live in the valley, you may live on the highest hill
    Some people say you don’t do nothin but take the doctor’s pills
    You may be in a nursery, in a classroom
    Drivin your big fine car, hup!
    Airplanes, uh, take you uh far
    Layin out in the sun, uh
    Or just workin on the run
    Hoo, you should be thankful
    Of what you got, I know you should
    Be thankful, oh, yeah, of all you got
    (well, well) yeah----, ooh, oh
    (be thankful) we need to be thankful
    (of what you got) of everything we got
    (be thankful) we need to be more thankful
    (of all you got) of everything you got
    (be thankful) thank you, thank you, thank you
    (of all you got) thank you for all I got
    (be thankful) thank you....

We lost my FIL late in October after a long battle with Alzheimer's, about 2 weeks after that a close family acquaintance (younger) lost his life to heart problems after having survived a stroke a few years earlier, last week an older gentleman who was very active in our local community passed after a long battle with cancer and today I learned of another in this same community having passed away at his home. There does seem to be something about holidays and the changing of the seasons that see an increase in deaths. Life certainly has it's melancholy moments these days. But it will be OK, if not for the darkness I cannot truly appreciate the sunshine.

We will be away for a few days celebrating Thanksgiving with family, and I do wish you all a blessed holiday.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Janet - Congrats! So Proud of You... love that you are now OW and no longer OB... doing the happy dance and "fist pump" Jersey style for ya! Best Feeling Ever isn't it...:flowerforyou:

KatieinND - Love Love Love that song - every so thankful....

thank you everyone for being a friend....woo hoo - actually did 8 mins of jogging during my walk... 3.5 for 20 / 4.0 for 8.... love a NSV... thanks mad hatter buddies - you were there :bigsmile:

You've got a friend in me... Happy Happy Dance Snoopy Style for ya... love popcorn for dinner... :glasses:

Did anyone notice last night that after everyone left to go to Grandma's that Snoopy and Woodstock were having Turkey for dinner? Seems a little off for Woodstock.. Just Sayin.....:noway:

See you all soon.... Carol...
  • TArnold2012
    Options
    Hope all the ladies in the states had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I wanted to post earlier but we the whole southern region (according to family, friends, and internet company) has been been without internet for the day. Have to say it was nice without electronics for most of the day :bigsmile: Amazingly we had to actually talk without texting LOLOL

My sister and I decided to bow out of the death Friday sales. I am both glad and sad. I am thankful that I don't have to rely on fighting the crowds to be able to afford gifts for my children and sad that I am now old and don't enjoy the hustle and bustle like I did in years past. We (husband and I) have a date with my sister and brother in law for movie and dinner as we begin a new tradition this year.

Did pretty good today, but when I didn't have internet and was having to log in using my sister's phone I just quick added but I did do a rough add in my head and feel I did a good estimation. Enjoy the weekend !!!
  • MeRoBi
    MeRoBi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    First, I must say FABULOUS songs choices, girls :)

Janet, Congratulations my non-obese friend! You've been working hard through all the ups and downs (just the MIL thing alone would be enough to make me eat donuts!). Keep at it, your are an inspiration to us all!

Leslye, so sorry to hear of all the stinky stuff going on in your life (although in the grand scheme of things a messy room should be the least of your worries...speaking as a non-OCD person living with a borderline OCD husband! On behalf of all us "messies", sorry, it's just not that important to us...we do try, really!!)

Gail and Carol (I think it was you two), I started watching "Once Upon a Time" based on your recommendation...what a great way to get me on the treadmill! It's the only time I "let" myself watch it...oh dear, that witch is a piece of work :)

Snooozie, thank you as always for being the glue that keeps us together! Although I have been absent from Hatters, I've tried to keep up with your posts, and am ever so thankful that regardless of how long I am away, you always welcome me back with open arms, a smile and a snarky comment ;)

Hopefully, things have calmed down enough that I can get back into my routine. I do consider it a MAJOR victory that through it all (vacation, broken bones, sick college kid, surgery and uncertainty regarding my husband's partnership) I did not get completely derailed. Perhaps there is long term hope for me after all!

Wishing you all strength and perseverance...it's a tough time of year for those of us who enjoy our food a "little" too much!

-Melissa