Stage 4

Options

Replies

• elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Finished stage 4! Took a while bc (warning gross TMI) I had to have some warts removed from my feet so just walking normally hurt like a $&@#%^*+¥£€ for about 5 or 6 days.

Results:

Front squat/push press 45 lbs

Step up
    Step + 4 levels, 40 lb dumbbells

Dumbbell one-point row
    30 lb dumbbells

Static Lunge, rear foot elevated
    step + 1, 30 lb dumbbells

Push-up
    from bar at the bottom row of the smith machine

Plank
    I still suck at planking. Started doing them from steps or benches so as to be able to leave the gym before midnight.

cable horizontal wood chop
    50 lbs

Wide grip Deadlift from box
    80 lbs

Bulgarian split squat
    step + 1, 20 lb dumbbells

Underhand Grip Lat Pulldown
    90 lbs

Reverse lunge from box with forward wdreach
    step + 1, 30 lb dumbbells

dumbbell prone Cuban snatch
    12.5 lb dumbbells

Doing the stair climber for interval work. The crunches where you lift your knees up to your chest while sitting on a bench at 45 degrees, and he Hanna side flexion (went to the gym with my mon and this move amazed her.)

Happy Holidays all!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! I haven't been posting here much, but I did workout 2a yesterday. The longer planks are difficult and boring for me! It feels like 10 minutes, even with music! :D everything else seems good though....I'd like to try regular squats again and see if I'm stronger...
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Howdy! Anyone here? I just finished Stage 3 today. I am looking forward to Stage 4. Think I'm much better prepared for this stage now.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I finished today too. I did one extra A and B workout on stage 3. I refreshed myself of the exercises for this stage and wrote out my worksheets last night. I think I'll start Monday, if I feel like resting a little more, I'll start Thursday. I'd guess it will be Monday. I took some progress pics today, haven't compared to my beginner pics yet though, hoping to see some changes because I've gained scale weight and mostly gained inches. Wouldn't you think we'd want to gain some inches though? Like, my calves are slightly bigger (I'm talking like 1/2 inch maybe) thighs are bigger, biceps are bigger, my hips have lost about 1/2 inch, my waist is about the same. My legs are like super meaty lately, so I figure a gain is good there, right? I ate pretty crappy over the holiday so I blame the weight gain on that, it's slowly starting to come off now though. I'm a lot stronger and I like the way my arms are looking. You guys liking the way you're looking?
  • suelegal
    Options
    I do, but I wish it would happen much faster. I'm impatient! But my muffin top is better, and I'm wearing a smaller size pants most of the time. Oh and I have shoulders and biceps! I carry my fat below my waist and that's so slow to change. But I feel much stronger, more energetic and yes there is muscle in my legs though I still have too much fat for it to pop yet.
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    I just finished A1. My arms are all jiggly. Let's just say its bad when you're looking forward to a nice, relaxing 2 minute plank at the end of the workout. I was surprised at how much more strength and balance I have since doing these exercises in stage 2.
  • suelegal
    Options
    That's what I'm hoping for too! I'm not going to do 2 minute planks tho. I'll raise opposite arms and legs thoughout the hold to make it more difficult, but 2 minutes is crazy.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I did my first stage 4 workout on monday. The FSPP was still hard, i think my form was messed up. It wasn't as hard as it was at the beginning of stage 2, but definitely harder than it was by the end of it! I'm gonna post my starting stats here so I can refer back to this when I finish!

FSPP- 45 lbs
    Step ups- 30 lbs
    One point Row- 40 lbs
    Static Lunge- 20 lbs
    Pushups- 8, 8, and 9
    Planks- 90 seconds, 100 s, 100s
    Wood chop- 17.5 lbs
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I did my first stage 4 workout on monday. The FSPP was still hard, i think my form was messed up. It wasn't as hard as it was at the beginning of stage 2, but definitely harder than it was by the end of it! I'm gonna post my starting stats here so I can refer back to this when I finish!

FSPP- 45 lbs
    Step ups- 30 lbs
    One point Row- 40 lbs
    Static Lunge- 20 lbs
    Pushups- 8, 8, and 9
    Planks- 90 seconds, 100 s, 100s
    Wood chop- 17.5 lbs

Just finished first stage 4 today too! I liked it but my whole lower body is sore already...not sure if it was the split squats or step ups.

I'll post too, although I'm a wimp!
    FSPP - 35 lb barbell
    Step ups - 20 lb dumbbells (way too high a step)
    One point row - 15 lb dumbbells
    Static Lunge - 15 lb dumbells
    Pushups - 3 sets of 20
    Planks - 3 sets of 120 sec
    Wood chop - 17.5 (seemed a lot easier now - better form!)

I was surprised I could do the plank 3 times...although I took a long break after the second set and did it after HIIT.

I found this much more of a leg workout than arms...I liked it!
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys, great to see fellow travellers through stage 4. I did S4A2 yesterday. Found it much easier than A1. coming back to me and the muscle memory is kicking in. I still am splitting the FSPP down to a squat and a separate press but prob works just about the same muscles.

This morning I went to interview a girl who has just started up a kettle bells class, so I joined in. OMG i will be sore tomorrow.

Still no where near 2 mins on the plank. But pressups are good, managed all three sets with my feel raised.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think doing the shoulder press with the squat makes it easier to press more weight because of the force you're gaining coming up from the squat. Because I can press the 45 lbs doing this move but pressing 45 lbs alone would be much more of a challenge for me! Whatever works best for you though.
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    I'm so dumb, I was peeking through the book at the lateral flexion exercises to see which one I wanted to do for my first B workout and I've totally been doing them wrong up till now. I was laying in the right position, but lifting my entire leg up, at the hip, instead of only lifting it at the knee. Oh well, better late than never. I usually do the ones on the ball, but good thing I looked.

I also drank my first protein shake after working out today. It was some whey thing from Walmart, vanilla flavored. It was still kind of clumpy even after stirring constantly while drinking too, but didn't have a bad flavor. I'd been doing some kind of a bar afterwards, but they had been getting really gross tasting to me for some reason, they were making me nauseous really, so we'll see if I get any better results, bc I never meet my protein goals with diet alone, I just can't ever seem to.

I'm liking this Stage, even though it's a lot of repeat, ok all repeats. My starting weights are quite a bit more than when I ended stage 2.
  • suelegal
    Options
    I'm away this weekend, home for 3 days and off to FL for 9 days. Since I'm on vacation in another week, I'm not going to start Stage 4 until I get back. That said, my trainer and I are doing exercises that prep me for that stage. I did deadlifts, assisted pullups, bulgarian split squats, crunches, reverse crunches and step ups today. Good workout, I like the assisted pullups. I might switch those out with the underhand lat pulldowns.

Emtabo, I don't do the flexions as he describes. They don't do anything for me, so I do standing flexions with 45# plate.

CanGirl, I hope I can do 120 sec on those planks, GAWD I loathe those things!

lhergen, I'm not sure I can press 45 either - I ended Stage 2 with 35# and struggling to press that. I can easily deadlift 100, it's the press that is weak for me.

Off to work!
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Ihergenr: Wow - 45# push press! I'm only at 35#. My forearms were sore after my first 4A workout! Can't imagine doing 45#!

Sue - good idea to start with a trainer and then officially start stage 4 when you come back. The flexion moves are dumb. I skip them altogether. My bad. My deadlift is 75# max. Yikes on 100!!! Great job!!!

Emtabo - I have sooo done that before. I go back to re-read things and I realize I've been doing something totally wrong. As for protein shakes, I can't stand them with just water. I will use one scoop, ice, water, half banana and sometimes Greek yogurt in the magic bullet. Delish! Although another great post workout snack is greek yogurt mixed with a scoop of protein powder. Tastes like a chocolate mousse. And add some sliced banana and drizzle with natural peanut butter. Dessert for breakfast!

AFM, I am SO proud of myself for getting to the gym today. I was having a bit of tummy issues (nausea, etc.) last night and when my alarm went off at 4:45am, but I thought NOPE, I'm still going to the gym and going to do whatever my body can handle. Wasn't my best workout, but I *did it*!

So it was 4B today, first time...I like it! My legs had a great workout! I like the Bulgarian split squat and the squat deadlifts. I did the weight I ended stage 2 with. Will try to up them next week....

Have a great weekend, everyone!
  • livlovra
    Options
    I think splitting it down to squat and a press makes it easier, so I may be cheating but worked out I can press 55lbs so it is still pretty challenging.

After doing an impromptu kettle bells workout yesterday my arms are in bits so I was debating going to the gym today but then kinder with a very high temp has scuppered any chances of going so I will have to go tomorrow instead.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    I think splitting it down to squat and a press makes it easier, so I may be cheating but worked out I can press 55lbs so it is still pretty challenging.

After doing an impromptu kettle bells workout yesterday my arms are in bits so I was debating going to the gym today but then kinder with a very high temp has scuppered any chances of going so I will have to go tomorrow instead.

Probably a good idea after the KB workout anyway..."scuppered..."???? Love it!:laugh:
  • livlovra
    Options
    I got to the gym today whoop whoop! Added an extra kettle bells workout at the end as I loved it the other day but it sort of back fired as I really struggled through my HIIT.
  • Emtabo01
    Options
    Just saying hi to everyone.

So I musta pulled an *kitten* muscle sometime between my last workout and today's workout. Right below my right butt cheek/ butt cheek area was really sore doing especially the lunges today. Not sure what I did because I didn't notice it until right when I started the lunges. I tried to stretch it but don't know what moves to do. Any suggestions on *kitten* muscle stretches?? Hehe, thanks guys.
  • CanGirl40
    Options
    Not sure about the "*kitten* muscle"...hard to stretch that one out... I am supposed to do week 2 tomorrow but feeling under the weather the last few days and decided not to push it...I'm going to do some modified workouts on Friday and Sunday, and get back to stage 4 next Wednesday. I think it's important I listen to my body and not push myself too hard.

That being said, I have a huge radiating pain in my left shoulder blade/neck...didn't "injure" it last Friday so not sure what's up...?
  • livlovra
    Options
    I pulled a muscle in my waist doing squats on Monday so I decided to halt the workout there and reshow today instead. It is important to listen to our bodies to avoid bigger injuries.

Re bum muscle stretches, humm only thing I can think of is if you stand next to something you can hold on to (like the squat rack or anything that won't move) and holding it with both hands sit back as if sitting in a chair that isn't there and put one foot on your knee. Sit as deep as you can while leaning back so holding on to the support with most of your weight. Then swap legs.

Not sure I have explained it very well!

I've asked the PTI to go through the workout with me today to check my form. Bit nervous. I hate an audience and I always push myself harder if anyone's watching which isn't always a good thing.