January challenge - GET MOVING

Options
demilade
demilade Posts: 402 Member
Happy New Year!

I hope your all ready for your first challenge :)

Often the hardest thing about exercising is to just get moving so that is what this months challenge is all about.

Our January month long challenge is to GET MOVING! Commit to doing some form of exercise for a minimum of 20 mins every single day.

For some it may not seam like a challenge, only 20 mins? Easy. But doing it everyday may not be as easy as you think.

For some it may seam daunting, but here are some suggestions to help you get started.

* walking is the cheapest and easiest way to start exercising

* break it into 3 10 min sessions

* exercise while watching tv - in the adds jump up and march on the spot, do some pushups etc

Make sure you come here and log your exercise daily, and if you are struggling or have some tips for each other add them.

Good luck, and get moving!

Replies

• betsij
    betsij Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    woohoo:smile:
  • demilade
    Options
    I walked the dog for 35 mins. We also took dog and kids down the river for a walk/ swim /play at the park, but I don't track it because its vey casual and slow.
  • jwall956
    jwall956 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    hmm....no elevators, just stairs, and eliptical/treadmill.
  • betsij
    Options
    I did elliptical for 20 minutes at 530am this morning (it was raining outside).
  • demilade
    Options
    35 mins walking the dog and a dvd date with jillian for 30 day shred. I will take the kids to the park this afternoon after work but i dont count it :)

keep going guys, only 30 days to go.....
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I love this challenge!

I started wearing my pedometer two weeks ago. I was shocked to learn that I was walking less than 1,000 steps a day on average. I set my goal to 2,500, bumped it up to 3,000 and now I'm striving to reach 4,000 steps a day. Not a lot for some, but it is a big increase over what I have been doing the past two years.
  • demilade
    Options
    I did a pedomiter challenge with work and I struggled to get over 5000. Building gradually is a great idea, you dont have to crack 10000 on the first day!
  • Joyyfull4u
    Joyyfull4u Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I did turbo jam cardio party 2. 43 mins. I did it yesterday and put the dvd on pause and took me a 5min break because I was too tired and could not perform a proper kick. Today I kept going and I got through the whole routine.
  • pancakesmajor
    pancakesmajor Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I did turbo jam cardio party 2. 43 mins. I did it yesterday and put the dvd on pause and took me a 5min break because I was too tired and could not perform a proper kick. Today I kept going and I got through the whole routine.

Way to go Joyyfull! Cardio Party 2 is my fav TJ workout!

I did 40 minutes of beginner yoga this morning, and walked around Costco for 2 hours (we've been out of town and had to restock). Wanted to swim but it was raining today... maybe tomorrow!

Keep it going everyone!
  • demilade
    Options
    30 day shred and 30 min walk.
  • betsij
    Options
    Yesterday I did 20 minutes of some free videos on "On Demand". They really got me moving!
    This morning I did 20 minutes on the elliptical!
  • pancakesmajor
    Options
    Got up before my husband this morning and did Turbo Jam Cardio Party 2 (thanks Joyyfull for the inspiration!) and Ab Jam!

I was dying in the middle of Ab Jam (where they do the "snake" move - I just have too much blubber on my tummy to squeeze that way - it seems impossible!) but I got through it!

Keep moving ladies!
  • demilade
    Options
    Today will be a tough one for me, overslept by 90 mins so no morning workout and its going to be a scorcher. Hopefully hubby will watch the kids so i can do some laps, but there is no way im jumping around like a fool to 30 day shred in this heat :)
  • pancakesmajor
    Options
    Today will be a tough one for me, overslept by 90 mins so no morning workout and its going to be a scorcher. Hopefully hubby will watch the kids so i can do some laps, but there is no way im jumping around like a fool to 30 day shred in this heat :)

It's alright lady, you'll do it doubly hard tomorrow! Good luck!
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I didn't time my movement, but I did reach my goal of 4,000 steps on Jan. 2 and Jan. 3. According to my pedometer, that's about 1.5 miles.
  • Bebeharden
    Bebeharden Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this group and just started the challenge today. I walked for 40 minutes today, to and from downtown. Looking forward to tomorrow's walk :)

Bebe
  • demilade
    Options
    Good job bebe and fresh start.

Dragged the dog out for a walk but it only lasted for 10 mins as I was rewarded for my effort by her rolling in a puddle of vile stinky mud. So back home for a doggy bath and that's me done for the day :)

It's still over 100f / 40c at 10pm and we are sweating. Husband and toddler have elected to sleep on the trampoline.
  • betsij
    Options
    21 minutes on the Ellipical this morning...trying to work myself up to 25 minutes! HAHA I started out only doing 10 minutes.
  • alyssam6
    alyssam6 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thats great! Keep up the awesome work :)
    21 minutes on the Ellipical this morning...trying to work myself up to 25 minutes! HAHA I started out only doing 10 minutes.
  • demilade
    Options
    Another walk and shred done. Trying to get motivated for some hard core cleaning