Stage 1

Options

Replies

• jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm so thankful for this thread! In the past week or so, it seems I've been able to start listening to my body more and PUSH it more but stay safe. And thanks to @lik_11 for her post about the trainer pushing her harder!!

This week, I squatted full sets of 100# (added bonus set of 105#x5), deadlifted 100#, lunges with 40# bar, dumbell shoulder press with 20# db, step ups on with 17.5# db, seated row 62.5# and 35# on lat pulldown (my lats are my weakness...must work on lats!!).

I feel incredible and STRONG. I know I will accomplish so much more, as I'm only halfway through Stage 1. So exciting! And so happy to be around other strong women.

Props, happy heavy lifting and health to you all! :drinker:
  • sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Workout A2 tonight, and still sore from B on Monday. Glad I found this group, so many of my questions have been cleared up.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I will complete Stage 1 Week 2 tomorrow.. I guess next week is less reps but 1 more set. Does anyone know how much the bar weighs on the Smith machine. I go to planet fitness and a regular bar is not available for doing the squats. I am finding I am going to have to modify some other exercises there due to lack of specific equipment.
    I was really sore but I have been doing pre and post run yoga sequences so that is really helping... sorry I am still a "cardio" girl at heart and trying to get back into running after a knee issue.
    Keep up the good work everyone!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This week- I did squats on the Smith machine- with the same trainer I wrote about last time. Using free weights- we had 50# of weights on the 45# bar (95# total). On the Smith Machine- we added 90# of weights to the bar. I don't know what that means, as to the weight of the bar- but I was able to handle it.
    BUT it absolutely made me realize the different form with free vs. Smith. The trainer kept telling me to move further forward with my feet, so when I sat back, I realized how much I was depending on the machine for balance. Felt totally different!
  • josiereside
    Options
    Week 3 started yesterday. How is everyone else doing?? I either hurt my elbow yesterday doing the workout (push ups) or maybe banged it on something. Hopefully okay for tomorrow's workout. Today is also Week 2 of C25K.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I just did my first workout yesterday...feels so good, I hurt today :) Can't wait to keep going...I have upped my cals and that is terrifying, but I love to eat so I am excited too...haha

Thanks for all the posts in the group, I was able to have a lot of questions answered without asking them...
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I just did my first workout yesterday...feels so good, I hurt today :) Can't wait to keep going...I have upped my cals and that is terrifying, but I love to eat so I am excited too...haha

Thanks for all the posts in the group, I was able to have a lot of questions answered without asking them...

Congrats on getting started. I love this program. I have 4 more workouts left in stage 1. Happy lifting!!!!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I will complete Stage 1 Week 2 tomorrow.. I guess next week is less reps but 1 more set. Does anyone know how much the bar weighs on the Smith machine. I go to planet fitness and a regular bar is not available for doing the squats. I am finding I am going to have to modify some other exercises there due to lack of specific equipment.
    I was really sore but I have been doing pre and post run yoga sequences so that is really helping... sorry I am still a "cardio" girl at heart and trying to get back into running after a knee issue.
    Keep up the good work everyone!
    I think the Smith bar is 15 lbs.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I asked trainer last night about the weight of the bar for the Smith machine- and he said that it is negligible, because it is practically hydraulic.

Last night- I saw a girl do some amazing deadlifts: 200#. She inspired me to feel like a badass and I started out with what I ended with last time. Not good for me... I need to work my way up each set. My form was not good, and my back is aching today. :( I totally want to be that girl!
  • josiereside
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the Smith machine... Now I have to figure out if you can do dead lifts with it. It seems like you need more bar movement for the deadlifts but will give it a shot. I am afraid that holding 2 dumbells will be hard for my hands. I got very tiny hands and not sure how much each one can hold.

Does anyone feel they are going to be stuck at certain weights (not body weight, lifting weights) for certain exercises?? Right now I do not think I can possibly do more than 15 pounds for the shoulder presses and not too much more for the lat pulldowns. I am week 3, w/o 2.

Also finding it hard to eat 2000 calories on my lifting days... but I guess I come within 100-200 most times.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the Smith machine... Now I have to figure out if you can do dead lifts with it. It seems like you need more bar movement for the deadlifts but will give it a shot. I am afraid that holding 2 dumbells will be hard for my hands. I got very tiny hands and not sure how much each one can hold.

Does anyone feel they are going to be stuck at certain weights (not body weight, lifting weights) for certain exercises?? Right now I do not think I can possibly do more than 15 pounds for the shoulder presses and not too much more for the lat pulldowns. I am week 3, w/o 2.

Also finding it hard to eat 2000 calories on my lifting days... but I guess I come within 100-200 most times.

Does your gym have any oly bars at all? At benches? I grab any available bar at my gym for deadlifts, not just the one from the squat rack.

Have you tried chalk? I was struggling to grip the bar and hold the weight, so I picked up a block of chalk for $2. I don't know if it's "allowed" at my gym, so I keep it in my bag and rub my hands on it discreetly. I know guys use it, but I've never seen it out in the open. It has made a HUGE difference in my grip for deadlift. I even used it for my step ups last time (22.5# dumbbells) and it made holding the dumbbells much easier too. I'm still new to lifting and learning as I go, but I don't think the size of your hands should affect how much weight you can hold. Your grip strength should increase, allowing you to hold more weight. My grip was suffering, and the chalk has been great. I also "white knuckle" on all of my reps for every move I use the bar or dumbbells on, meaning I grip as hard as I can until my knuckles turn white. This is supposed to help. Also holding the bar in your hands at the top of your deadlift on the last few reps. Just don't do it early or your hands will tire out.

For eating calories, I have NO problems there! I really like to eat. Do you like oatmeal? You can easily get up to 500 calories with a serving of oatmeal if you use milk, add some fruit or raisins and nuts.

I was STUCK on lat pulldowns for a few sessions. I had to really learn how to engage my back and pull properly. After that, I've been able to increase, even if only by 2.5# per time. I'm at 20# on shoulder presses and struggled last time. I'm going up to 22.5# tomorrow, but I don't know that I"ll be able to complete all of the reps. Do your dumbbells go up by 5# only? That's tough!! Maybe increase weight, and expect fewer reps?

I'm doing NORLFW, but reading alot of the SL5x5 info since Mehdi seems to go into more details. I'm following his guidelines on upping weight and not deloading immediately if I can't finish a set.
  • josiereside
    Options

Does your gym have any oly bars at all? At benches? I grab any available bar at my gym for deadlifts, not just the one from the squat rack.

Have you tried chalk? I was struggling to grip the bar and hold the weight, so I picked up a block of chalk for $2. I don't know if it's "allowed" at my gym, so I keep it in my bag and rub my hands on it discreetly. I know guys use it, but I've never seen it out in the open. It has made a HUGE difference in my grip for deadlift. I even used it for my step ups last time (22.5# dumbbells) and it made holding the dumbbells much easier too. I'm still new to lifting and learning as I go, but I don't think the size of your hands should affect how much weight you can hold. Your grip strength should increase, allowing you to hold more weight. My grip was suffering, and the chalk has been great. I also "white knuckle" on all of my reps for every move I use the bar or dumbbells on, meaning I grip as hard as I can until my knuckles turn white. This is supposed to help. Also holding the bar in your hands at the top of your deadlift on the last few reps. Just don't do it early or your hands will tire out.

For eating calories, I have NO problems there! I really like to eat. Do you like oatmeal? You can easily get up to 500 calories with a serving of oatmeal if you use milk, add some fruit or raisins and nuts.

I was STUCK on lat pulldowns for a few sessions. I had to really learn how to engage my back and pull properly. After that, I've been able to increase, even if only by 2.5# per time. I'm at 20# on shoulder presses and struggled last time. I'm going up to 22.5# tomorrow, but I don't know that I"ll be able to complete all of the reps. Do your dumbbells go up by 5# only? That's tough!! Maybe increase weight, and expect fewer reps?

I'm doing NORLFW, but reading alot of the SL5x5 info since Mehdi seems to go into more details. I'm following his guidelines on upping weight and not deloading immediately if I can't finish a set.
    [/quote

they have some bars, the curl bars with the wavy bar and the straight one but they only go up to 60 pounds and I am at that weight already for deadlifts. The only other bars are the ones attached to the Smith Machine
    I am not that big a fan of oatmeal... I don't have a problem finding things to eat... I just don't want to eat if not hungry...
    What is the SL5x5??
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Hi there...just finished my second workout. I'm doing this program at home with DB up to 60# total, Swiss ball, bar and a few plates that go up to 35#. I'm not sure this is going to be enough but should be to get started right?

I was wondering how long it takes for you to get through the workout? Both workout 1 & 2 took me approx 22 min with rest with out WU or CD. Does this seem reasonable or to fast? Some exercises I need to up my weight but othersi don't and now I've done 1 of each, I now know for next time.

Also, I'm running a few days a week and will continue to because I'm training for a half soon. Anyone else doing cardio as well?

Thanks and happy lifting!!
  • josiereside
    Options
    oh, and I have not tried chalk... guaranteed Planet Fitness would frown on it... my husband did a few small grunts while working out and got reported... it is kind of ridiculous....
    I am wondering how the heck I am going to do the deadlifts off a step. I don't think the steps they have in the 30 minute circuit will be sturdy enough.
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    I'm new to NROLFW and thought I would finally stop by. I completed WO 3A yesterday and love it so far. My goals are to lose fat and quite a lot of it. I lifted before. It was a mix of free weights and machines several years ago and few weeks ago, I completed 30 DS (didn't do it every day) with heavy weights that turned light as well as few weeks of P90X (didn't like it very much).
    I'm also adding HIIT when I feel my body can handle it between workouts.

I look forward to getting to know you all better :smile:
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi there...just finished my second workout. I'm doing this program at home with DB up to 60# total, Swiss ball, bar and a few plates that go up to 35#. I'm not sure this is going to be enough but should be to get started right?

I was wondering how long it takes for you to get through the workout? Both workout 1 & 2 took me approx 22 min with rest with out WU or CD. Does this seem reasonable or to fast? Some exercises I need to up my weight but othersi don't and now I've done 1 of each, I now know for next time.

Also, I'm running a few days a week and will continue to because I'm training for a half soon. Anyone else doing cardio as well?

Thanks and happy lifting!!

I'm in Stage 3 now, but when I did Stage 1, it usually took me 35 minutes with a warm-up. So I think you're on target!
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Holleysings- thanks!! It feels like it wasn't takin me long enough although the short workouts are nice!
  • gloriapiz55
    gloriapiz55 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That prone jackknife is a killer.. I was trying it last night and I get slidding off the darn ball.. LOL, any suggestions ladies
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    A suggestion to all of you if you plan to continue lifting and you can thank Holley for this tip. VERSAGRIPS!!!! OMG what a difference when you DL and do rows, and good when you press as well! There are several varieties, I bought the "branded" Versa Grips, but found out after that there's another "versa grip" made of leather that breaks in easier. I can only comment on the ones I use and I gotta say I LOVE them! My grip sux after 25DB and my DLs were stalled at 110 because my grip would fail.
  • sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Work out 4A for me tonight. I like the lifting and I'm always amazed at myself when I can up the weight. I tried stepping up onto the bench, but it seemed too wobbly (or maybe I was too unbalanced), so I had to go back to using the aerobics stepper. I've never seen anyone at my gym stepping up onto the bench before. Are the stepups pretty unique to this workout?