Members Please Introduce Yourself here:

Options

Replies

• gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hiya - Geri here - I had Lapband on 6/28/2012. Have lost a total of 70lbs since January - 35 preopp, 35 post op. Still learning the ropes here but it is getting eaiser... I love love MFP. It has been so easy to use and so many friends on here...

Add me if you would like. I like to have friends that are active and share stories.
  • HealthyDeb
    HealthyDeb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Welcome to:

Debbie
    Pearl
    Stacy
    Geri

Thanks for sharing your stories!
    :flowerforyou:
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Wow, it just kills me what you all have to do to have the surgery. I went in to have a consult on June 27, 2012. I had the surgery on July 27, 2012. I did not have to see anyone else but my surgeon. I had a scope to check out my stomach and some lab work. That is all. My surgery was covered except for the deductible. I must have the best insurance ever. Plus a skilled billing clerk to get it pushed through.

Glad to have the new people in the group. Can't wait to hear how your journey progresses.
  • DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hello all, another Debbie here. So glad to see this group here and that both Bypass and Sleeve patients post here because I'm not sure which one I will be having. Like another Debbie posted earlier, I just started my 6 month wait that my insurance requires. I had decided on the sleeve, but when I went for my 3-4 hour consult with variety of staff they told me my insurance only allows the sleeve procedure for patients with over 50 BMI. I have 100# to lose, and would need to be 150# overweight to qualify for the sleeve then. Well, I'm not gaining weight, so now I'm looking at the Bypass unless my insurance requirements change.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and learning more about your successes!! :flowerforyou:
  • DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hey Debbie, how odd, both Debbie's, both 6 month waits. Do you know which surgery you want to have?
  • Kmags66
    Options
    Yes. Welcome to:

Debbie
    Pearl
    Stacy
    Geri

I had bypass surgery last Dec. So I am coming up on my 1 yr. Feel free to friend me and ask me any questions. Best of luck!

Thanks,
    Kerri
  • anitadanafit
    anitadanafit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello WLS group.

My name is Anita and my gastric sleeve surgery is scheduled for February 7th. I started my pre-op process on November 1 at 300#s and I am down to 278 following the pre-op diet my surgeon recommends. I have finished all of my testing except an endoscopy on January 4th and it looks like I am good to go. I've tested several brands of protein drinks and stocked up on my favorite. I started walking every evening (the puppies are certainly happier). I am taking my multivitamins and calcium. My hope is that by improving my lifestyle a little bit at a time before surgery I won't have too much trouble adjusting after the surgery.

In 2008 I looked into lap band surgery and chickened out before my first visit with the surgeon. Not sure why, but I guess I just wasn't ready. I am definitely ready now.

I am glad that I found this group and would appreciate any advice about preparing for surgery.

Anita:smile:
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Hello WLS group.

My name is Anita and my gastric sleeve surgery is scheduled for February 7th. I started my pre-op process on November 1 at 300#s and I am down to 278 following the pre-op diet my surgeon recommends. I have finished all of my testing except an endoscopy on January 4th and it looks like I am good to go. I've tested several brands of protein drinks and stocked up on my favorite. I started walking every evening (the puppies are certainly happier). I am taking my multivitamins and calcium. My hope is that by improving my lifestyle a little bit at a time before surgery I won't have too much trouble adjusting after the surgery.

In 2008 I looked into lap band surgery and chickened out before my first visit with the surgeon. Not sure why, but I guess I just wasn't ready. I am definitely ready now.

I am glad that I found this group and would appreciate any advice about preparing for surgery.

Anita:smile:

It sounds like you have a great plan. The more you get into your new routine, the easier the teansition will be after surgery. I have known a few people who did not do that, and it made the transition much harder. The only other thing I might add, since you didn't mention it, is to start logging all of your food here on MFP. Logging everything, every day, has been very important for me.

Good luck!
  • anitadanafit
    anitadanafit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice. I started logging again a few days ago.
  • saeverman
    Options
    My name is Stephanie and I had RNY 10 years ago tomorrow. I have had nothing but complications and have had a total of 11 surgeries as a result of the initial RNY. I started at 300 and got down to 160. I was put on steroids and regained weight. I got back down to 190 and then have regained weight again. I dislike steroids!! I have been off the steroids long enough for me to start losing again. I am currently at 225. I need to get back in the routine of exercising, drinking more water, and getting in all my protein. My problem is that I would rather drink all day than eat anything solid. I end up eating something and it is usually full of fat.

Stephanie E
  • Compudad
    Compudad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello Stephanie, As someone who is only three weeks out from surgery, I cannot give you much insight into the maintenance part of WLS. But what I do know that YOU realizing what you need to do as you have stated here is the first step in the right direction.

I find that the only way to get my water and protein in is to schedule it and leave myself reminders throughout the day.

I wish you well and hope that you can find your method of getting your protein and water in and avoiding those fatty foods that we all love.
  • debbeslim
    Options
    My name is Debbie, I am 49 and live in France. I am off to Prague in 4 weeks time to have gastric plication surgery with Dr Hruby. I am currently 217lbs and want to lose 65 lbs as I am determined not to be fat & 50
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I just realized I never did an intro here Mollie how did that happen? Hmmm? Anyway...
    I am Amy and I am a Spanish Teacher in Las Vegas,NV, 38 yo. I had RnY Dec. 11, 2001 and started at 535 lbs. I lost big my first year and had a pannis removal the following December (Thank God!) and then I fought with 350lbs for years! In 2009 I found out I am allergic to wheat and a bunch of other stuff and I started following the Primal Blueprint and dropped from 381 to 294 in 2011 then I do not know what happened I stopped doing what was working and got lost or something and I gained back up to 315-320 and I have been there for the past year. So this year I am getting back to what I know works and my goal is to get to 250 and to have the rest of the plastic surgery on my abdomenal area (not so worried about my arms) and then eventually my upper legs,too. My overall goal is 230-40 and the plastic surgery will most likely get me there. I have been over 200lbs since I was in the 1st grade at least so getting to 230 is the goal my doctor and I have set (actually he said 250 I said 230) since that is probably realistically the most my body will allow and me be healthy, too. So that is me in a nutshell.
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    HI ALL,

I'VE BEEN OFF THE BOARDS MORE THAN ON THEM FOR A QUITE AWHILE SO I'M RE INTRODUCEING MYSELF AND WAVING HELLO TO OUR NEWER WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY MEMBERS. NEXT MONTH MAKES FOUR YEARS POST OP FOR ME. I'VE GONE FROM "OBESE" TO "NORMAL" AND HOLDING. I'M BETTER OFF THAN I WAS BUT I'M NOT YET WHERE I WANT TO BE. THEREFORE I ***** MOAN WHINE AND COMPLAIN BECAUSE I'M NEVER SATISFIED, LOL.

MY BODY FIGHTS WEIGHT LOSS NOW JUST AS HARD AS IT DID BEFORE RNY. METABOLIC ISSUES, CHRONIC STEROID USE AND OTHER FAT FINDING HEALTH ISSUES PISS ME OFF DAILY. STILL, I GOT THE FAT OFF AND I'M GOING TO KEEP IT OFF. I CAN'T CONTROL SUDDEN WEIGHT GAIN BUT I CAN STAY ON TOP OF THE ISSUE.

TODAY I'M ABOUT TEN ABOVE MY LOWEST WEIGHT AND I SHOULD BE FIVE BELOW THAT NUMBER. I KNOW IT SOUNDS LIKE NOTHING FOR SO MANY OF YOU, BUT FOR ME IT IS STILL A STRUGGLE. MY TOTAL WEIGHT LOST BOUNCES BETWEEN MID 130 LBS & UPPER 140 LBS. I WANT THAT NUMBER STABLE AT 150-155 LBS LOST.

THIS TAKES LIFETIME COMMITMENT. AS A WLS GROUP WE ALL KNOW IT. NICE IF IT EVER GOT EASIER. NONETHELESS, WE CAN EACH FIND OUR WAY WITH SUPPORT FROM ONE ANOTHER.

MSW - I'M NOT SHOUTING AT YOU I'M JUST HARD OF SEEING ;-)
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am only 8 months post op so I am technically in my loosing phase, but with only 46 more lbs to go it has certainly slowed way down. It is frustrating, but I have to do what everyone on this site does, whether they have had weight loss surgery or not, and that means I have to find what works for me and work hard at it. This surgery was not an easy choice or the easy way out as so many mistake it for. It is hard work. It is emotional. It is a complete lifestyle change. But thus far it has been such a saving grace. To all of you new to the group, feel free to friend me. We can all support each other through the tough stuff. Good luck to you all.
  • Duckie015
    Duckie015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am 7 weeks post op and had gastric sleeve done November 13th. To date I am down 51 pounds and have been at a stall for a week. It is nice to see that there is a group out there that you can relate to. It has been a blessed process!!!!!!
  • carlygirl412
    Options
    Hello:

I haven't had surgery yet. My surgeon submitted my package to the insurance company and they denied the request and required me to lose 12 lbs. and then the doctor can resubmit the package. I guess they want to see my commitment to the process!

I've been overweight all my life except for about 3-5 years back in the 80's when I lost 112 pounds on Weight Watchers. I thought my life would be perfect and all hell broke loose! After a few years, I slowly gained back every pound. Then in 2005 I lost 50 pounds so that I wouldn't have to take meds for diabetes and then slowly gained them back! I'm tired of going back and forth, so finally after much thought and loads of research, I've decided to try to get the gastric sleeve surgery. I'm not keen on the bypass. And I decided against the lap band because of issues of erosion, and melding into my organs.

So, I'm here in MFP to try to lose the 12 pounds required by my insurance company to prepare me for and hopefully they will approve of surgery.

Thanks.

Peace,
    Carlygirl412
  • carlygirl412
    Options
    Hi my name is Stacy :smile: I had my vertical sleeve surgery October 24th 2012...
    I was thin most of my life, but let myself go a few years after my kids were born.
    I lost weight again, a few years later on a fad diet but put the weight back on when
    I quit the diet. That was when I packed on the weight to a whopping 296pounds!
    I began getting very sick with migraines lasting 6months+ at a time I felt crippled.
    One of my doctors reffered me to a nutrition class at kaiser, it was a 12week course
    And I learned how to read labels and count the important items for weight loss.
    :happy: Im so thankful for everything I learned during the classes and was given
    The name of my surgeon. A few weeks later I was in surgery and as of February
    2012 I've lost a total of 84 pounds!! Im still recovering from surgery- but i dont
    regret it at all. I have 65pounds left to go..... Im going to the gym and I know it
    will take time.

HI Stacy:

I'm new to the site . . . just joined today. Congrats on your surgery and weight loss. Your story interested me because you mentioned Kaiser as your insurance company. Did they require you to lose weight before they approved your surgery? I had to go through a six-month (that turned into really eight-month) pre-op program. Once I had my final visit with my surgeon, they denied the request and said I have to lose 12 pounds and then resubmit. Just wondered if you had to deal with that too. Thanks.

Peace,
    Carlygirl412
  • TheCurvyJ
    TheCurvyJ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm Dom or CurvyJ and I had VSG on December 21st, 2012. I'm just over two weeks out and excited about how this year is going to turn out. Certainly better than the last few with a great outlook on life.

I'm still getting used to my tool, learning what's too much and what's not enough, focusing mainly on protein and carbs and getting in my liquids.

Glad to be here!
  • Movinsue
    Options
    Hello, Sue here!

I had a gastric plication in Dec 2011 which is very similar to a gastric sleeve. The difference is the stomach is not cut. It is, instead, folded into a "taco" and then double sutured. The result is instant portion control--and it has been the best money I ever spent! (BTW, this procedure is not yet available in the US though it is currently undergoing clinical trials here--I went to Mexico.)

My insurance would have payed 100% for a band, but when I learned about the plication, I decided to spend my own money and have that done instead. I am a retired nurse and did not like the idea of a foreign device residing in my body.

Until the plication, I had spent a lifetime (62 years) working to control my weight. I successfully followed an Atkins diet plan for 30 years, along with 4-5 times per week aerobic exercise. Slowly, I gained weight when I: 1. stopped following Atkin's diet, 2. experienced intense arthritis pain and had a hip replacement 3. experienced age-related decline in metabolism and 4. retired from my nursing career to care for my dying husband. All of these factors together resulted in a 40 lb weight gain on my small 5'3" frame.

My hip replacement hurt so much I could not be on my feet for even an hour. My hypertension medication was doubled.

As a result of my WLS, I lost nearly 30 lbs in the first 6 weeks and stabilized to a weight that has not varied by 2 lbs over the last year--despite a cruise to Alaska! The pain in my operative hip disappeared like magic and I got my mobility back. My hypertension medicine was cut in half. I discarded most of my boring senior wardrobe. I am no longer preoccupied with thoughts about food and my weight.

I remain too heavy for my height at 172 lbs on small 5'3" frame and am still over a BMI of 30. However, the original problem of carrying too much weight on my hip replacement and resulting limitation in my mobility was solved with the procedure. Now, it is time to clean up my nutritional act! One of the unanticipated complications of the WLS is I can eat anything I want and all I want--it is physically self-limiting and very satisfying. Though this is psychologically-freeing, I have become complacent about the food I eat and am over-calorie-ing.

I decided to lose the "next 10" and this app was well-recommended. It helps to keep me focused on my goals: better food choices and awareness of calories, rather than food volume. After all, I need to keep in mind that WLS is my best tool for controlling my weight, but I have the choice to use it wisely or become complacent and careless.