Members Please Introduce Yourself here:

Options

Replies

• danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I had gastric sleeve surgery on June 4th. I've lost 22 pounds so far. The weight has started to come off much slower now. I know part of the problem is not enough liquid. Anyway, I seem to be stuck right now.
    I am looking forward to sharing and making lost of new friends.
    Take care. :flowerforyou:
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Doni. (gonna be one of those Monday's). LOL
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm really enjoying hearing the WLS stories here. I'm currently considering getting a sleeve or a bypass, leaning towards the sleeve. I've been overweight my whole life, though was healthy ad active for the first 30 some years. Then i got a hair and decided to run off to france and get a lapband 11 years ago (before they were US approved). I came back to no support, no doc that would touch me and spent some time figuring out how to get filled/unfilled. I lost 170 lbs then. I couldn't swallow my own saliva eventually and had the fluid taken out by someone. I still struggled to eat however, and then one day, i could eat a bite of a hot dog, which then quickly became "i could eat anything" and I gained 10 lbs a month for the next couple years until i was almost 400 lbs. I pretty much gave up. These last couple years i have decided to try to get healthy...my blood pressure was in the gutter, i was having anxiety attacks, and well lots of little things healthwise, like apnea and gallbladder issues. I've lost about 60 lbs this last year, but am moving towards having my band removed. I've had a surgeon who has taken a look at it, and all that jazz, but basically it just isn't working for me and seems to be causing me pain. I'm proud that i've been able to lose this 60 lbs by learning to eat a little better and such, but i'm so worried that i will not be successful on my own and that i need another tool to help me along. I'm hoping because my habits are overall "better" that i will be successful with another WLS, but of course i also see that such a large portion of it, especially for the long term, is not a free ride, but rather paying attention and being healthy for always. At this point i don't know if i'll do it or not (i will remove my "useless" and troublesome band but not sure if i will do the sleeve or bypass or not yet) but am going through the process while i have good insurance. I am so glad there is a group of people here that have done it, or considered it, and i'd love to have info/support, etc...I want to be healthy, and for life, not just for a time. I'm 44 and have two grown boys (20 and 21) and am a single mom for many years. I've loved the support from MFP folks, but also wanted to join a WLS specific group since it's been on my mind a lot lately. I would appreciate any friends/info. And of course i'd love to offer regular ol' support as well. I'm not an everyday poster (i tend to get lost in message boards) lol, but i'm definately here!
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Posted twice accidentally. Grr.
  • baldkiwi
    baldkiwi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks, I had RNY Gastric Bypass on 16th august 2012. I have been using Myfitnesspal since I was on pre-op diet and found it very useful. I would like more 'WLS' friends for food ideas and encouragement.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone!

I had WLS-RNY on 5/3/12. Thus far I have been pretty successful. I was 304 lbs when I started my journey, and 282 on my surgery date. I did great on the 2 week preop diet. Surgery was uneventful, but post surgery i really struggled with hydration. actually, I still do. MFP really helps me keep track of my food and protein. I am always open to new food ideas. Anyone who is looking for supportive friends, please feel free to friend me. I am happy to share my experiences!
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    ckdjvio
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm Johanna. I'm from the UK but I live in Qatar. I recently had the gastric sleeve in Qatar and it has been the best decision I've made for my health. Hsving the surgery has forced me to take a frank look at my emotional eating habits and increase my exercise. In 4 months I've lost 61lbs. Ive got so much more to lose but its happening slowly and surely. :)

congrats and good luck on continued success!
  • mhorn2142
    Options
    Hello.
    My name is Rebecca. I am considering having the gastric sleeve. I say considering even though I have started all the pre-surgery doctors appointments because I am scared and feel like I will probably back out at the last minute.

I have shared with people at work and family that I am considering the surgery. I've had mixed reactions. My aunt told me I was lazy, a co-worker said I was taking the easy way out, some said to really think about it before doing something so drastic. My husband has been supportive. He has told me it would make no sense to have the surgery if I'm not willing to change my diet, I have a really bad sweet tooth.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this group here,

I was lucky that everyone I told seemed to show support. If they felt any different they did well at keeping it to themselves! My boss, husband and family were all 100% behind me. I did not hide it all. I owned my decision and was proud to share it.

On another note, one reason I chose surgery, is because I needed a new TOOL to HELP me figure out how to eat correctly. My body now rejects inappropriate food choices! As for the easy way out... who in their right mind would do this to their body and call it easy. There is nothing easy about it. Your head does not catch up with your body over night, so it is a constant struggle to remind your self that certain choices will be regretted soon after consumption. There is nothing lazy about it. As you begin to loose weight, you have amazing energy that you have been missing for so long. I find myself doing little things like, not looking for the closest parking space because i don't wanna walk. or not grabbing a cart at the store to lean on, or not thinking twice when Im in a hurry and don't wanna wait for the elevator. Energy is restored.

Please feel free to friend me! I would be happy to answer any questions!:smile:
  • wink77
    wink77 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi am Angela. I just completed all my re surgery steps and will be having the sleeve later this month. I have over 150# to lose.
  • rlsl2002
    rlsl2002 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My name is Sandy and I had sleeve surgery on 7/10/2012. I have lost almost 40 pounds so far. I was going to the gym 6 days a week before surgery, but now I am finding it hard to get back to a regular routine. I think I started back a little too soon and got really dizzy and nauseated the first couple times so that has kind of set me back a little. When I go, I am walking on the treadmill for about 45 minutes but I am noticing that my biggest fear is starting to happen....saggy skin, yuck! Anyone have any suggestions on things to really help with this? Thanks and good luck on shedding those LBS. :smile: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hi to anyone new that I have missed lately! Between work and school I sometimes miss things here ;) Feel free to add me anyone that would like more friends!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My name is Sandy and I had sleeve surgery on 7/10/2012. I have lost almost 40 pounds so far. I was going to the gym 6 days a week before surgery, but now I am finding it hard to get back to a regular routine. I think I started back a little too soon and got really dizzy and nauseated the first couple times so that has kind of set me back a little. When I go, I am walking on the treadmill for about 45 minutes but I am noticing that my biggest fear is starting to happen....saggy skin, yuck! Anyone have any suggestions on things to really help with this? Thanks and good luck on shedding those LBS. :smile: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

Nope...feeling your pain though. I am starting to look like a melting candle :) I just keep exercising and moisturizing! How well your skin snaps back depends on so many factors....how long you were over weight, how much yo[yo weight loss you have had before, your age, genetics, etc. I am just going to hope for the best and once I get to goal and stay there awhile I will look into plastics.
  • HealthyDeb
    HealthyDeb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Debbie. I weighed 380 on Aug 5, 1998 and lost 202 lb with the RNY which brought me to 178. I regained 70 to 248 and worked my way back down to 171 for a second then moved out of state and regained again to 203.5. Currently working my way back down and weigh 189. Do you see a pattern here? LOL. So tired of being obsessed with the numbers. I guess I thought it was the magic cure and my surgeon retired within the first year of my post op so I had no support system also because I was ashamed to tell anyone, even some of my closest friends, that I had the surgery. They probably figured it out anyway.

It was the best gift I ever gave myself. Now if I can only get the head straight as far as my cravings and stop the grazing from time to time. Evenings are my downfall. I get bored and start snacking. I regret the day I ever reintroduced sugar back into my body.

I also had PS on my upper body lift & lower body lift and arms. Getting ready for a consult for the legs this week. I look like a quilt with all the scars but it sure beats toting around 380 lbs.
  • pugmomma1951
    pugmomma1951 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I had a gastric bypass on 8/22/2012. I am sort of at a loss of what to say. I have wanted this surgery for years, but things didn't come together until this year. I would like to get down to a size 16 at least, so I have a very long row to hoe.
  • medea5
    medea5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My name is Robin, I had Gastric Bypass on 05/05/10 with no complications. I'm only 5'1" and at my highest recorded weight I was 238 and a year after my surgery was able to drop to my IDW of 122 and keep it pretty steady for a while. However within the last year I have fallen off the wagon and gained 20 lbs. I came back to MFP to get back of track and take control of things before they get way out of hand. Plus I don't want to buy new clothes in bigger sizes!
  • HealthyDeb
    Options
    Good for you Robin for catching it before it gets totally out of hand. Best to you!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I had a gastric bypass on 8/22/2012. I am sort of at a loss of what to say. I have wanted this surgery for years, but things didn't come together until this year. I would like to get down to a size 16 at least, so I have a very long row to hoe.
    That is awesome!! Wow!! Congrats!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    My name is Robin, I had Gastric Bypass on 05/05/10 with no complications. I'm only 5'1" and at my highest recorded weight I was 238 and a year after my surgery was able to drop to my IDW of 122 and keep it pretty steady for a while. However within the last year I have fallen off the wagon and gained 20 lbs. I came back to MFP to get back of track and take control of things before they get way out of hand. Plus I don't want to buy new clothes in bigger sizes!
    welcome Robin and good for you seeing the need to go back to basics.
  • HealthyDeb
    Options
    Sandy,
    I agree with Onaughmae on all counts. I wouldn't have thought it would happen to you being so young at 40. So sorry, I know the aggravation of that all to well. Hang in there (no pun intended:)