January Challenge - Me vs. The Binge

Options

Replies

• anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hi, guys. As I read MFP today, I was reminded of a web-based resource that has helped me in the past...I thought I'd share it here in case any might be interested. Since this website, called SuperBetter, is not a food/exercise diary and serves a totally different purpose than MFP, I think it's OK to talk about it here. :)

About SuperBetter.com:
    SuperBetter.com is a game designed specifically to help users build resilience and is applicable to a number of situations. It was created by a woman named Jane McGonigal, who specializes in the study of game theory and application. When she had a concussion, she became troubled and very depressed because she couldn’t do all of the things she used to do, and she didn’t see any progress in her recovery. To help herself get better, she created a role-playing game wherein she became a Super Hero. Every day she had bad guys to battle (those things that hindered her recovery) and quests to pursue (those things that aided her recovery). She also had daily “power ups,” those little activities or thoughts that gave her instant positive energy. She also recruited allies (friends) to help her in her recovery who had specific tasks to complete.

Eventually, she got well. You can view her (much better!) explanation about how SuperBetter came to be here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmc2DDqTXM4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEFG6_xPrxM&feature=channel&list=UL

Over time, SuperBetter was expanded so that it can be used to help people in any number of situations, including recovery from injury or illness. This is the explanation from the website:
    “SuperBetter helps you achieve your health goals — or recover from an illness or injury — by increasing your personal resilience. Resilience means staying curious, optimistic and motivated even in the face of the toughest challenges.

SuperBetter is a tool created by game designers and backed by science to help build personal resilience: the ability to stay strong, motivated and optimistic even in the face of difficult challenges. Resilience has a powerful effect on health -- by boosting physical and emotional well-being. Resilience also helps you achieve your life goals -- by strengthening your social support and increasing your stamina, willpower and focus. Every aspect of the game is designed to harness the power of positive emotions and social connection [to] live, feel, and act better.

SuperBetter was created with guidance from doctors, psychologists, scientists, and medical researchers. (Our advisors and collaborators include MDs and PhDs at Stanford, UC Berkeley, University of Pennsylvania, and Ohio State University Medical Research Center.)”

So, people can now play SuperBetter to meet any number of health goals…things like quitting smoking, battling depression, getting physically fit, recovering from a specific illness, learning stress management...all kinds of things. I use SuperBetter to help manage stress and challenge low motivation. Because there are daily “tasks” to complete, it helps me to make progress, even if some of those tasks seem like little tiny things to do. There is a positive cumulative effect. :smile:

I'm thinking some of you may like to use SuperBetter (in conjunction with MFP, of course!) to help you with your specific wellness goals, too.

Just an FYI :flowerforyou:
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    January 2013

December 2012: 19/12

Terry - 11
    The Binge - 7

Logging days - 8 / 31
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Jan 16, 17 18th

Me: 15
    B: 3

Calling Jan 18th as a B . sressed from my DD. sore from weightlifting and a mirad of excuses that we all seem to use. I like the OP who said to repeat to yourself" "I do not binge" I listened to a tv program that stated some findings that just saying those positive things over and over (3x/day) dialy your brain will start to believe it. It sure beats hearing the negative voice in my head.

Again, I also lacked in the amount of activity I did yesterday. I had all the time in the world to be active and I pissed it away. Kinda upset at myself for not handling the situation better.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Just as a note on the 'i do not binge' mantra, it has, somehow, really been helping me. Last night during my binge, I was literally only eating about 600 calories...300 of which I still needed for the day. When I said that phrase, I finished the food, had two huge glasses of ice water and now I'm up at 7:30 am for spin class.
    YOU do not binge! It is not who you are. It is what you did but is no longer a part of you. You can separate from it, just like a past relationship! Keep it up, we can do this. We will do this.
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Me (1)
    Binge (1)

Yay! Score's tied now! I had an unplanned snack last night and realized I was in danger, thought of this group and Me vs. The Binge and...... I stopped!!
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    January 17 2013

Colleen - 14
    The Binge- 4
    Days finished logging- 16

Another situation where I would have been under had I worked out, but I still feel like crap. :-(

ETA: Physically feeling like crap because I am sick, not emotionally beating myself up :-)
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    1/18/12

Rachael - 18
    The Binge - 0

Days at/under goal for the day - 17 out 18

For the first time this month I went over my calorie goal, but it was only by about 250 calories. Since I wasn't feeling gross or too out of control, I won't count this as a binge, but simply as going over for the day. I was still somewhat in control. I actually feel better about things today and may have needed that slight release.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Just as a note on the 'i do not binge' mantra, it has, somehow, really been helping me. Last night during my binge, I was literally only eating about 600 calories...300 of which I still needed for the day. When I said that phrase, I finished the food, had two huge glasses of ice water and now I'm up at 7:30 am for spin class.
    YOU do not binge! It is not who you are. It is what you did but is no longer a part of you. You can separate from it, just like a past relationship! Keep it up, we can do this. We will do this.

Trying your ideas.... =) Thanks again. It really makes me feel better. I'm not living in past actions... I am NOT a binger. :flowerforyou:
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    Me - 18
    Binge - 0

The longest I can remember going without binging is 49 days..lol..and then Christmas hit...I'm really hoping I can stick to healthy eating this time..

YOU SO CAN . Have faith in yourself.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    January 19th, 2013.

Me: 11

The Binge: 8 (1/2,1/3,1/4, 1/10,1/11, 1/12, 1/16, 1/17)
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    January 18 2013:

Dani - 10

Binge - 9

less than 8 binging days is my goal!

ok. now my goal is to snap out of this
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    January 2013

Diane - 13
    The Binge - 5
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options

This mantra will be very helpful to me, I believe. Thank you. :)
  • Suzmp85
    Suzmp85 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Jan 19

Suzanne: 16
    Binge: 3.
    Logged: 19/31

Much better month. I hate logging my mistakes, but we learn from them. :happy:
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Katie 0
    Binge 0
    just joined in but want to keep myself from doing binging
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Me - 6.
    Binge - 13.

Although I did eat quite a lot before bed, I don't consider it a binge, it was not out of control and I didn't purge. Was over calories though due to not working out.
  • eschorre
    eschorre Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Elizabeth 18
    Binge 1
  • peanutbutterrunner
    Options
    Forgot to post here yesterday, oops!

Michelle - 19
    Binge - 0
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Me-3
    binge-1
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

This mantra will be very helpful to me, I believe. Thank you. :)

The mind is very powerful, as well as the spoken word. Where the mind goes the body will follow. I hope more of us will implement this strategy.