Goal Pose for 2013

Options

Replies

• amylahminute
    amylahminute Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to the group! :flowerforyou: I have been practicing yoga intermittently since 2001. My goal pose for 2013 is Paripurna Navasana (boat pose). I do not seem to be able to do this pose (as it is done in the Ashtanga Primary Series) without collapsing after a few breaths. My lower back starts burn and then my legs start to creep toward the floor.

There are other asanas I would love to get into without injury, but I'll be happy if I achieve a boat that floats this year.
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My yoga goals for 2013 is to practice more regularly. I invariably end up missing days and sometimes weeks of practice. :sad: :frown: :blushing: :embarassed: I would like to get comfortable with Moon Salutation (sp), too. Finally, I would be more than pleased with myself if by the end of the year, I can hold crane pose! :happy: Thanks for asking! What a great idea!
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Pam! No worries, some of us are beginners here! Any goal for any pose is worthy and admirable... the point is you are continuously improving your practice, at any level. :)

^^^this :bigsmile:

Yes! Welcome, Pam!
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    While I didn't mention these in my previous post, I've had a few goals that I finally reached last night!
    The first, sort of basic and silly really, was to be able to keep my heels on the ground in down dog. The last few weeks of my practice, I've had moments where my heels have touched and it was pretty exciting (haha!). But last night, I discovered I'm now able to keep my feet flat the entire time.
    Second, I wanted to be able to touch my forehead to my knees in the forward fold (and seated forward fold). I've been pretty close, and have in the past been able to "bob" into it for a moment, but I can now hold that position for any length of time. While I've always had great balance, I've struggled with overall flexibility so this was big!
    Third, moving into Bird of Paradise... Finally! I was never able to really make the transition from extended side angle, and even when I was able to contort into that pose it was only for a second before I fell out of it. Last night I was finally able to make a smooth transition, stand tall in the pose, and even extend my leg straight and I held it for several breaths then came out of the pose very smoothly.

I really feel like I'm making huge progress with my practice, and last night was SO satisfying! I felt like I was high! LOL.

Now on to crane!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    While I didn't mention these in my previous post, I've had a few goals that I finally reached last night!
    The first, sort of basic and silly really, was to be able to keep my heels on the ground in down dog. The last few weeks of my practice, I've had moments where my heels have touched and it was pretty exciting (haha!). But last night, I discovered I'm now able to keep my feet flat the entire time.
    Second, I wanted to be able to touch my forehead to my knees in the forward fold (and seated forward fold). I've been pretty close, and have in the past been able to "bob" into it for a moment, but I can now hold that position for any length of time. While I've always had great balance, I've struggled with overall flexibility so this was big!
    Third, moving into Bird of Paradise... Finally! I was never able to really make the transition from extended side angle, and even when I was able to contort into that pose it was only for a second before I fell out of it. Last night I was finally able to make a smooth transition, stand tall in the pose, and even extend my leg straight and I held it for several breaths then came out of the pose very smoothly.

I really feel like I'm making huge progress with my practice, and last night was SO satisfying! I felt like I was high! LOL.

Now on to crane!

Great job! I think bird of paradise is way harder than crane. You'll be there in no time.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic! Last year I accomplished having my feet planted to the ground on a downward dog! :-) This year will be to do a proper warrior 3 pose. I quickly loose balance.
  • snoopnemmy
    snoopnemmy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Tripod Headstand without any help or a wall is my goal!
  • jeansgirl
    jeansgirl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I always thought i needed to do that too...but I best thing about yoga is that theres no right or wrong...only working for our best intention.
  • adm88
    adm88 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Oh Bird of Paradise is definitely a goal for me. Maybe this year, maybe next. I can get the bind but then I have to just breathe in it while everyone else just springs right up. But we are all students of yoga so it will come if and when we are ready, right?
  • alliesamcat
    alliesamcat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd like to master crow pose and eventually do some type of headstand without wall assistance.
  • kayakinggrrl
    kayakinggrrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would love it if the soles of my feet would finally reach the ground while doing down dog! They are gradually moving, but are still an inch of the ground. Who knows, they may touch ground in 2013!

Me too!!!!! And I would like to reach a point where downward dog feels as enjoyable as people with more yoga experience say that it does. At this point in time, staying in the most for more than a few seconds feels like an endurance competition.

My other goal is to be able to actually have my bum rest on my heels during child's pose.
  • zenmummy
    zenmummy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My goal pose for 2013 is to do downward facing dog properly (heels planted). I thought I had made it this morning, when they hit the mat. I then checked Yoga Journal, and I was doing the pose wrong (hands too far forward, legs too close). In case it is helpful to others, here is the article, which describes in minute detail down dog: http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/153

Oddly enough, I'm happy that I still have to refine this pose. I like the feeling of challenging myself. One yoga teacher I have practiced with told me that he found yoga at a time in his life when he was having to give up other sports due to injury, and that he was thrilled to find a discipline that he could look forward to getting better at in old age. It is very encouraging to think of the progress I could make if I stick to regular practice.
  • JennaDip
    Options
    Great alignment notes in there for Down Dog. Any easy tip to make sure your palms/feet placement is correct is to roll forward to plank (high push-up). Bring your palms right under your shoulders and lengthen the spine by pressing through your heels. From here lift your hips back up to DD. Your hands and feet are the same distance apart in both DD and plank.

My goal pose/s for 2013 are to work on my inversions. I am proficient in headstand but want to be more confident moving into forearm balance and handstand. I don't know why these still scare me!!
  • Bluetrace24
    Bluetrace24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Success: just did Camel Pose! couldn't do that a few weeks ago when I started. :smile:
  • oakfruit
    oakfruit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was going to say headstand, but this article is making me think twice:

http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/2768

I don't know if I have the discipline to practice safely enough, and her experience is sufficiently devastating that I'd rather not risk it. There are lots of other fun poses anyway - maybe I'll work on splits and handstands :)
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Congrats Bluetrace!

I had two breakthroughs yesterday: The first was coming up into handstand with both legs - I went from using a bolster to using a rolled sticky mat against the wall. This keeps your head from banging into the wall, but eventually you have to wean yourself from the prop. I've worked with the bolster for 2 years, so this was pretty big for me. The second was my first successful drop back from standing then coming back up. I only came back up once (though I tried 3 more times), but I know once you do a pose, it comes more easily the second time.
  • Apocalypse_Meow
    Apocalypse_Meow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be able to get into a headstand at the wall consistently. My main goal is to make my practice more regular this year.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Great Idea!...I want to be able to do a headstand with my feet completely straight...also when you do the hamstring stretch, and put your hand under your leg and float back to plank, i want to get both my feet off the ground!...confusing but i know what i want!! haha
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Great Idea!...I want to be able to do a headstand with my feet completely straight...also when you do the hamstring stretch, and put your hand under your leg and float back to plank, i want to get both my feet off the ground!...confusing but i know what i want!! haha

I think I know what you're saying: from forward fold, planting your hands down and jumping straight into chaturanga? as part of vinyasa usually? yes, I want to be able to "float" more into it too!

question: I've seen ashtanga students float beautifully and lightly (it of course doesn't feel so light...lol) into chaturanga and I've also seen people "thump" onto their toes in power class. which one is the correct way to jump back? the more I try to float, the more I seem to thump...:P
  • yoginimary
    Options

I think I know what you're saying: from forward fold, planting your hands down and jumping straight into chaturanga? as part of vinyasa usually? yes, I want to be able to "float" more into it too!

question: I've seen ashtanga students float beautifully and lightly (it of course doesn't feel so light...lol) into chaturanga and I've also seen people "thump" onto their toes in power class. which one is the correct way to jump back? the more I try to float, the more I seem to thump...:P

I've noticed that those that can float well, can usually press up into handstand (this is different than kicking up) - so there's a whole lot going on in the abdomen. Also hamstring flexibility has to be there (to jump forward), because if you watch someone doing it, it's a forward bend. There's also getting the hips over the hands - so even if you can't press up into handstand, you can work on getting up with both legs at once.

Check out this video of David Swenson teaching this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI25FyEOvlI