January Check in and Chat - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Options

Replies

• zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hello all I'm new here. I just started Stronglifts today. My first day was pretty uncomfortable. I was scared to try lifting in the rack without a spotter. I also was worried about proper form AND I was the only woman in there. I used the smith machine today but I think that was my first and last time trying that. Otherwise I am using the stronglifts app and didnt realize the bar could possibly weigh 44lbs so I lifted too heavy for the first day. Going to do again on my next day. It was awkward since I was the only woman and this seems to be the only place where I can find other women doing stronglifts. Really looking forward to getting to know you ladies looks like you have a lot of fun on this thread.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Hey Zorreena, welcome and congrats on your first day, it gets more fun as you prgress, just take it slow and steady.

Buttwinking?! Wha?! I know I have to make sure I am fully deflated (no flatulence in the tract) before I do deads and squats especially. Oh, that means I don't buttwink I guess, yikes....might have to have someone check out the side view.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    What on earth is butt-winking...? please?
  • nexangelus
    Options
    xidia, I think it is when you curl you bum inwards when squatting. So instead of staying straight with bum out, you curl your buttocks inwards as you get lower. The video in fittree's post shows this action pretty well.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Hey have you guys seen this thread? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/862337-why-girls-shouldn-t-lift-weights-like-men-disgusting-hey

Hmmm, I'm on the fence about this one....1. the high reps (don't think it's sustainable) 2. He said she doesn't do cardio, but in his links to her diet he lists cardio as being 4-5 times a week 3. Her squats aren't really squats, they don't go low at all, lots of us could lift heavier if we squatted only a few inches each time. Yet, it's talking about women weight lifting, which yeah, cool....but I don't think her results are typical.

Thoughts?

I just read through most of this one and then I read through the one he posted about her diet. Now first I want to say that I think she looks awesome and her hard work can't be disputed HOWEVER after reading the thread about her diet and seeing a "before" pic, I would have to say that she has used some sort of "extra assistance". Probably in terms of some sort of cutting steroid. Her workout is intense....although not many compounds in there....not sure why? Or is that some sort of advanced lifting secret? And I agree about the squats....I think they could be lower but he claims they are small because he only wants them to work her quads and her glutes and hammies get worked another day.

Tough one....clearly they both have extraordinary physiques and work hard. But my ex husband worked really hard in the gym....while juicing every day lol

Just read through it, and it sounds like they live in the gym. So many exercises! Not my thing. Of course, I still need to lose another 75lbs, so maybe I should be spending more time in the gym, but I really just don't want to at this point.

In other news, knee still hurts, but it's on the mend. I've completely deloaded my squats, and I'll sit there for a while. I've been adding weight at full tilt, and since I'm new to lifting and so out of shape, I think I need to take it slower. Not sure how long I'll do just the bar for squats, but at least this week. Trying to think about the 50 things that add up to good form at once seems to be the hardest part. :laugh:
  • nexangelus
    Options

Also re that girl:

still haven't seen pictures BUT based on the workout routine I also suspect juicing. High rep isolation work was pioneered by a generation of bodybuilders using steroids because it worked really great for them. Not so great for other people.

I think they (one of whom already has been openly, maybe not on here though, steroiding up for years) are trying to get more clients for both the supplement company he reps for and himself. End of, no average person will do this in four months. Not happening, even if you live in the gym and are very strict. Her back is bigger than most big natural blokes I have seen in various gyms. I didn't see this until now. I am not going to comment on the actual thread though. It is one big advert, that is all.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    :happy:
    Every time I hear butt winking I remember reading this true crime journal article about the '80s satanic daycare molestation craziness. I guess in that context "butt winking" refers to involuntary anal sphincter contraction. In crazy 80's witch hunt land this is evidence of molestation, and not a normal response to an exam (which is what it is everywhere else apparently.) Vette you should be thankful your sphincter is pristine and untouched by satanic daycare workers!

Thanks for that - it makes me feel slightly better about my buttwinking, lol.

I need to bust out my Starting Stength book again - but its just sooooo dry to read. I do much better watching Ripp than reading Ripp.

Oh, and I farted during a squat for the first time ever. I was proud. :bigsmile:

Welcome to the group; its fun here!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the thread Zoreena! You will love the program! My beginners words of wisdom....concentrate on form above anything else. If that means you are lifting the bar every workout for a week then so be it. There are tons of videos about form....youtube anything by Mark Rippetoe and you will see great examples :) And of course....ask us if you have questions!

I'm pretty sure I don't wink with my bum haha I keep remembering the Rippetoe video on squatting where he is smacking the guys lower back telling him to lift from there....that's all I think about every time I'm down low!

Luckily a home gym makes any sort of "accidents" in the way of excess pressure getting out a non-issue. That's for now...maybe one day I will have a bf who wants to enjoy the power rack with me :laugh:

In other news....I powered through and did not deload on my squats this morning.....maybe I was being a baby a little bit :laugh: Still did deload a couple of #'s on my OHP though but I kept my DL at 135 which made me very happy!

Have a great day ladies!
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    In other news....I powered through and did not deload on my squats this morning.....maybe I was being a baby a little bit :laugh: Still did deload a couple of #'s on my OHP though but I kept my DL at 135 which made me very happy!
    So the empson salt soak helped? I miss DOMS - how do I get it back, lol.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

Yes it did help! Didn't take it away totally....they still hurt for sure but I made it through. It's funny you say that because since I started SL I haven't had DOMS in my lower body, only upper through the progressions and only once where it hurt so bad that I was walking like a raging juice monkey :laugh: So even though it hurt SO effing bad I was still secretly kind of pumped!
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    xidia, I think it is when you curl you bum inwards when squatting. So instead of staying straight with bum out, you curl your buttocks inwards as you get lower. The video in fittree's post shows this action pretty well.

Ah, thank you. I was worried it was some much worse form of "builders bum" (trousers which slide down as you crouch, gently exposing the crack between your cheeks for the world to see). Phew. I shall check my form tonight and make sure I don't wink!
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    I was walking like a raging juice monkey :laugh:
    I am stealing that line.
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    That's funny - my husband also thought "buttwink" meant I was showing the world my butt crack. I am a notorious buttcracker, so much that he calls me buttcracker. I just can't find the perfect pair of pants that can provide coverage for my abnormaly high butt crack without resorting to mom jeans.
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

Yes it did help! Didn't take it away totally....they still hurt for sure but I made it through. It's funny you say that because since I started SL I haven't had DOMS in my lower body, only upper through the progressions and only once where it hurt so bad that I was walking like a raging juice monkey :laugh: So even though it hurt SO effing bad I was still secretly kind of pumped!

There's so much awesome in this....

1. because I haven't really had lower body DOMS either, just in my upper body! So there must be something to it....To the bat mobile!

2. I'm with Vette - I am stealing the raging juice monkey line.

Also -

I did not know that they juiced (yeah for new terms that I didn't know!). But yes, her back is super muscles - like beyond muscling that I want. I can appreciate that she is great looking - but it's also not the look I am trying to achieve for myself. Though I do prefer to be strong. If that all makes sense???
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    there is a fine line.... her legs I could live with... her back crosses the line for me...

Question: What is DOMS??
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Yeah, I haven't trademarked the whole "walking around like a raging juice monkey" line yet, so help yourselves :drinker:

It's that damn OHP that brings on the DOMS...actually, BP does it too....who am I kidding!

DOMS-Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness
  • HIITMe
    Options
    not sure if this is DOMS but I usually get sore on my OFF day, not the day I lift...and its usually cured by a hot bath in Epsom salt or Dead Sea Salt

Im feeling a LOT better today... going to the gym come hell or high water.. but only going to do body weight squats and a lil cardio....looking forward to Monday though....
  • alwyndacara
    alwyndacara Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ach, only just got back to the gym after the ERMAHGERD SNOE!!! Haven't been able to get the car out to get to the gym and it's a bit too far away to be able to walk it, work out and walk back in less than 2 hours!

Picked up where I left off on Workout A. Still think my rows are pants.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Still sick. Boooooooo. I feel like I'm always sick. Getting used to the PA germs or something. I feel almost better, so I might go to gym.

I really hit up my new foam roller last night, and my quads are sore today. Is this normal? I went right for the big guns and bought a rumble roller on Friday.

We have 2 powerlifing gyms in the area. I sent them both an email last night asking personal training rates. They are both very reasonable. I was expecting some ungodly amount since neither post it on their website. I might just get a couple pt sessions so I can stop being paranoid about my form. I think I've narrowed down my knee pain overly tight quads/it band. Hopefully my previous plan of attack will be successful. The foam roller is seeming to help a bit thus far. Wooo.

Epsom salt baths are the best. I like to add a bit of lavender essential oil. I'm not sure if it's actually relaxing, but all the aromatherapy books/articles say it is- thus it relaxes me.

I keep picturing a qt little spider monkey all 'roided up and angry! Poor monkey. Hope you feel better Vegas!

About the thread that shall not be named. From the before and after picture Voldemort just got implants before training started. Don't you have to take at least a month and preferably like 12 weeks to resume heavy activity? This leads me to believe it was even less time actually spent workout out than previously stated.

Hiitme- I feel like I should know your avatar, and it the artist would come to me. It has not, but it is awesome! Who is the artist?
  • HIITMe
    Options
    the pic has been used a few times... it was the cover of a Margin Gaye Album as well as used on the old TV Show "Good Times"

FWIW, you can buy lavender infused Epsom salt... kills 2 birds with 1 stone

my runner friends all swear by this foam roller thinga-ma-bob.... I may have to look into this....

Note to self: try the stretches Vette mentioned previously before any squats today....