What makes you to OVEREAT?

Options

Replies

• LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I overeat when I'm happy and sad. I can't celebrate without a buffet of food in front of me. I also can't be upset without my favorite snacks handy. For some odd reason, eating just makes me feel good.
  • jojolean
    Options
    There are many reasons why I overeat, alot of them are mentioned in the posts below, also I have 2 teenagers so if they aren't driving me to drink, or its not acceptable to drink at that particular time of day (say - breakfast) then I'll reach for food.

My other contributing factor for overeating is punishment. It sounds sick, I know, but when I feel bad about something, like the kids principle calling me to tell my child is suspended for being high, I take it personally, and see it as a sign of failure, then I start the cycle of beating myself up and what better way to beat myself up then to eat till I feel sick..
  • mandidandii
    mandidandii Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There are many reasons to why I overeat. One reason is when I feel stressed out by life demands such as college, work, or family. I also overeat when am emotionally, physically, and spiritually stressed. For me eating makes me avoid talking about my true feelings. I'm not one to vocalize my feelings well so I tend to keep everything in.
  • starrnj
    starrnj Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bored, lonely, sad, happy and even hungry lol sometimes I cant seem to get my fill(today is one of those days)
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    When I am stressed or tired!
  • akrepel85
    Options
    Hi my name is Allison. I'm just starting my weight loss journey again. I lost my fiance in a motorcycle accident a little over two years ago. I then ate my pain, literally. I was using food to deal with my grief. I've always been an emotional eater, I have an emotion I eat. I'm happy, let's eat. I'm bored let's eat. I'm upset, let's eat. I am 5'2" so any extra weight shows more on my frame than on a taller person. I finally realized that I needed to do something when I topped out the scale at 240 lbs. I was miserable and unhealthy. I am down almost 70 lbs in 10 months, the first 55 lbs was just from changing my diet. I started exercising again about 2 months ago. I go to the extreme when I workout. I love P90X and I used to heavy lift. I am getting started with those again. I have fallen in love with Zumba also. I decided to join groups because I found that I am needing the support of others more as I'm no longer getting the fast results I was originally. I thought that with my emotional eating this would be a good group for me.
  • Olahou
    Olahou Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I overeat when......
    Im sad
    Im angry
    Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party
    Im at a family get together
    I want to make myself feel better
    Ive accomplished something, overeating is like a "treat"

So yeah....I think thats pretty much it!
    Itʻs like you read my mind!
  • GIMOM66
    GIMOM66 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Everything! In the last few years I don't need an excuse but mostly it's when I'm depressed or when I have food in the house that I shouldn't eat and then I binge till it's gone. Determined to lose this weight and start eating healthy again. I know there will be times when I slip but with the support of the people on this site I'll do this. Sometimes I get very upset thinking of my son in the military (he's in the Middle East) and then I eat like there's no tomorrow. Need to stop this insanity NOW!
  • kikilita
    kikilita Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I overeat when......
    Im sad
    Im angry
    Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party

Yeah, I overeat ALL THE TIME. Obesity is super heavy in my Mom's family and this is probably why. Celebrations= food, too!
  • Aprilwmitchell2010
    Options
    When I'm stressed, bored, depressed
  • pappillion67
    Options
    I OVER EAT WHEN IM BORED.......:smile:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Oh hells bells, pick a subject.
  • JLBAMA2
    JLBAMA2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I overeat when......
    Im sad
    Im angry
    Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party

That about sums it up for me too!
  • kayakinggrrl
    kayakinggrrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I overeat because sometimes food (sweet, sugary carbs) are the only thing that makes me feel better.
  • ssvierck1020
    Options
    Everything...I love food. I think I am addicted to food. I eat when I'm bored, I eat when I'm stressed. I quit smoking and I am trying very hard not to replace the need for a cigarette with food. I am finding that the only time I don't eat is when I am upset about something...to the point of crying and then I want wine..
  • Andreaviolet89
    Andreaviolet89 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I tend to overeat if I go to any restaurant so I have been cutting back on that a lot or ordering apps instead or entrees.
  • MommyLovesHerFurBabies
    Options
    - When I'm sad, bored or lonely. I suffer from depression so these feelings are common for me so I over eat constantly.
    -When I'm happy
    - During shark week every month
    - During any kind of get together ( i have a heavily obese family so there's ALWAYS food)
    -When I'm hungry
    -When my husband grabs a snack, I gotta grab one too

I just generally over eat.
  • mmc23
    mmc23 Posts: 42
    Options
    Wow do I belong in this group -- hugs all around! Reading over your posts I feel like I understand where you are coming from.

I overeat when stressed. Lately I have had a close friend dealing with a serious illness and whenever I feel out of control I'm craving sugar. I am starting to recognize this in myself as a trigger for eating unwisely, after almost 38 years, it seems pretty obvious looking back at the pattern of my life so far.

Also I should probably stop watching the Food Network.... Except shows like Chopped that are fun to watch but produce not necessarily tasty things to try! :)
  • LuvHypno
    LuvHypno Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ditto!
  • ijavagypsy
    Options
    I overeat when...
    I am stressed.

Bored.

Lonely.

Upset about something someone did, but have fear of confronting them.

When someone yells at me, and I want to cry.

When I am very hungry.

That pretty much wraps it up for me, too.