What makes you to OVEREAT?

Options

Replies

• kerbear48185
    kerbear48185 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    From Phoenix1401
    I overeat when I'm bored, sad, lonely, mad and stressed. I grew up as a only child with a emotional, verbal and physical abuse enviroment and food was always there to calm me down. I worry alot and I keep my emotions inside because I dont want people to view me as weak person and I dont want people to worry about me because I'm always the strong person I'm the person people run to for advice and they tell me how they feel. Sometimes I wish I could do the same but I'm scared because I dont trust them enough I always think someone can twist my words or backstab me....*sigh*

Wow, thank you for sharing this. I often feel the same way. Distrustful of people and their motives. I often feel painfully vulnerable when I open up to others. I frequently feel like they don't really care about what's going on with me, though I've spent many hours consoling and advising them on their issues. One of the resolutions I've made in deciding to (once again, but in a different way) start this journey to health was to distance myself from users and form a community of support and reciprocity around myself. That is one of the main reasons I joined this and other groups. To share, express myself, get help, and give help to others who can relate to me.
  • MariaAlbina
    MariaAlbina Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    BOREDOM! Always eat when I'm bored. If I'm home, I try to take a nap because, well, you can't eat when you're sleeping!
  • 4stephklug
    4stephklug Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I can relate to sooo many of these posts. At the moment, I'm a stress eater. I'm at home w/ my 3 kids (14, 5, and 4) and it seems someone is always bugging/fighting/screaming/whining/begging. It's hard, but I'm trying to reach out to people to talk instead of going for chocolate or cookies. I'm trying to do something about the actual problem instead of eating to just make myself feel better. I'll be starting nursing school in the fall, so I'm hoping to get a handle on some of this by then.
    Anyone can feel free to add me, just send me a note :)
    Steph
  • jforferris01
    jforferris01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I over eat cause Im

stressed
    sad
    overweight
    lonely
    depressed
    didnt eat enough proteing through the day
    bored
    not losing enough in the time I want to
    see old high school pals and they are skinny
    pretty much everything
  • babyboss35
    babyboss35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I over eat when I'm stressed. I also use to be really bad at it when getting compliments from men. Because my thinking g was if I'm too big you wont like me therefore. You can't hurt me. I know that sounds crazy bbecause all at the same time you wanted to be found sexy. I know by now your looking so confused. Lol don't be. It stems from all the abuse I went through as a child an teenager. Now howeits usually if I'm having a bad day or just stressed out badly.
  • miss180inprogress
    Options
    I overeat the most when I am stressed :frown: angry:explode: or bored :ohwell: I am in college and I started noticing a trend in my weight gain, which was... I would gain twenty pounds during the final month of the semester and would usually lose it once I was out on break, but stll that is not good at all. (I can't afford to gain ANY POUNDS) SOOO I am trying to do other things to relieve stress like go for walks on a trail near my house, Zumba class (which I LOOOVVVEE!) or give myself a manicure or pedicure, try new hairstyles So far so good! Just stay busy :wink:
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I overeat when......
    Im sad
    Im angry
    Im happy
    Im lonely
    Im bored
    Im stressed
    Im at a party
    Im at a family get together
    I want to make myself feel better
    Ive accomplished something, overeating is like a "treat"

So yeah....I think thats pretty much it!

Ditto! It's so easy to come up with excuses to eat, isn't it? I'm always telling myself "you deserve this little treat because..." Well, when I do that all the time it's not a treat anymore, it's a bad habit!
  • pseel42
    pseel42 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My name is Paula and I am new to this group!!

I eat becaue I am bored, stressed, depressed...you name it and that is my reason for overeating.

I won't get into all the details but I am not living the life I want!! I'm hoping to change that but there is always some obstacle stopping me from getting me to where I want to be.

Anyway, I hope to learn from other memebers.,

Thank you for having me!!
    Paula
  • rochellena
    rochellena Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I'm happy, I eat as a celebration. Yes, of course I can have 2nds (3rds, 4ths) today. Something good happend, this is a celebration!

When I am at family gatherings, I eat to blend in. Everyone around me is eating a second plate. I should too. It doesn't matter that I'm no longer hungry, I don't want to be the odd one out.

When I am bored, I eat to give my hands something to do with my hands. I'm relaxing, I should be doing something. Eating something sounds like the best way to take care of this!

When I'm sad, I eat because I gain temporary comfort. Food would never hurt me. Food would never betray me. Food would never intentionally hurt me. Food is unconditional. Food is a constant. Food is always there for me.

The other big one is kind of hard for me to explain. I look at myself in the mirror after a shower or some other point when I am naked and get disgusted with what I see. I acknowledge that it is a result of my binging, emotional eating, and general overeating, and then when I am presented the a situation where a binge is possible, I sit there, I think about the different options I have, and then I decide to go ahead and binge, because that's what I do, that's who I am. I will never be anything more than that, and if I were to completely stop partaking of these overeating opportunities, I would sort of lost a part of my identity. It's really stupid and whiny, and even typing this all out, I am embarrassed. I am sure I sound ridiculous. I overeat because I overeat.
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have only recently discovered that I am a stress eater. Not only do I crave those fatty/salty/sugary foods when I'm stressed, I also somehow feel justified eating those things! "It's okay, hun. You've had a bad day. You deserve that HUGE piece of chocolate."

The really bad thing is that I've had a really stressful year. I got divorced, sold my house, moved, am living on my own for the first time ever, got a promotion, switched to a bizarre schedule (8hr swings 2 days per week and 12hr graves 2 days per week), and am about to declare bankruptcy. I'm not going to say it couldn't be worse, but that is an awful lot of stressful stuff considering we're just barely into June.
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Stress, mostly. And if I see something staring at me and saying "eat me". But I try to not do it anymore.
  • kathyanne07
    kathyanne07 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I overeat for most of the same reasons many of us do - but over the past few days I've realized that I overeat after I've looked at myself in the mirror and gone through the mental beating myself up for allowing myself to get to this point. I am going to start reading and writing positive affirmations every day and make an honest effort to rid the negative thoughts about myself from my mind and also from verbalizing them. Good luck to all of you and thank you for allowing me to be in the group!!
  • lauries3
    lauries3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I eat when I am stressed and that seems as if always, I was good all the way last night until I had a deadline that I was not able to obtain and had my room mate and son bring me a large fries from McD's not good, that took me way over and no I am depressed because the scale keeps creeping up. When I started here I was weighing 225 and then I went to florida and the only thing to eat was fast food everyday. God give me stregnth today to stay within my goal and make right choices and get some exercise in. Sigh. :frown:
  • SWink06
    SWink06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You nailed it for me. Getting a treat always made me happy, so to be happy I give myself treats.

This.
  • hannahchipmunk
    Options
    Samantha, this is the same issue for me too :/ Anxiety is hard to deal with
  • eln2008
    eln2008 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Stress and anxiety are my problems. My 2 year old son and husband (though, love them dearly!) can bring alot of my stress eating. I find myself reaching for food (especially the P's - pasta, potatoes or popcorn) to calm my nerves.
  • Jbaker0524
    Options
    I over-eat due to stress, bordom, when I am upset about something, nervous, and the fact that I live with my Fiance's Parents, if there was a way to define "more than full-blooded italian) that would be his mom. Pasta this, pasta that, sauce this, sauce that, soup this, grains that... I am HORRIBLY surrounded by carbs and there's no running from it.

Any advice on how someone like me (also Italian) to help steer clear from too much carbs? They know I can't continuously eat that kind of meal but they keep doing it anyway. Oh, and I forgot to mention they eat dinner at 7pm or even as late as 9pm, when I'm at the fitness center at 8:30pm-10pm.

S.O.S!! :noway: :ohwell: :sad: :sick:
  • rcb1963
    rcb1963 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly due to stress over work or finances or the state of my marriage. When my hubby had cancer last year I ate over fear of his possible death. He didn't die but our marriage has changed a lot. When I allow work issues - usually trying to understand the true direction my boss wants to go on or feeling cheated that others are allowed comp time that I cannot use - I overheat. But I realize I need to indulge in things other than food. I need to accept the things I cannot change - hubby, boss, others and change the things I can - me and my attitude. Boy it really feels good o write this down. Thanks
  • speciaalkayy
    Options
    Amen! lol me too.
  • beccapink
    beccapink Posts: 28
    Options
    I over ate last night :sad: and for me its stress, lack of sleep , and been working out like crazy so now i know i have too take a break and give myself days off ....:flowerforyou: