Hello Singles....tell me about yourself....

Options

Replies

• pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Pam. While I haven't done much that is "exciting" in my life, I've made a pretty good one for myself and my son. I have my *kitten* together and am happy in general, but my next major goal is to run away from home. You see, I live in the same county in VA I was raised in. While the area has changed tremendously in the 40+ years I've been here, I'm ready to get the hell outta dodge. I have a good job here and need in-state tuition rates for the next couple of years until my boy graduates, but am thinking seriously about making a major change sometime after that. Somewhere, anywhere, but out of VA. The thought of making a move like that is a bit scary as my family and support system are here. But I'm SO ready to start a new adventure and hopefully a career change as well. Am a creative type by nature so may pursue graphic design and do some writing/songwriting as well. So I guess we'll see what happens....
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    My name is Ricardo...prior military, prior law enforcement, and now current federal government employee. I've seen and done many things, have been to many places, yet nothing beats a quiet day at the lake with a tight line in the water. My appearance is deceiving, I often get the "bro, vato, ese, homie" type of treatment yet my days are so far removed from that type of lifestyle. I am educated and have worked hard to shed that background. I grew up around drugs and gangs, have lost two brothers to that lifestyle and am 100% against anything remotely resembling any of that.

On the surface, I can come off as very flirty and even crude. Truth be told, I love discussing a good book, philosophy, music, or even life in general. That's my closet nerd side...shhh, don't tell anyone.

A pleasure to "meet" you all and kudos to OP for this topic. I've been wondering about ya'll (yup..Texas boy is still in me!).

Brag: I'm such an outspoken leftist that if I went on even a single date with SVCAT he'd lose his security clearance! :laugh:

MAKE LOVE NOT WAR!
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm Cindy. My father was born in Italy so I spent every summer in Italy with my grnadparents growing up. It definitely affects how I see things. I have few if any boundaries and will discuss anything anytime with anyone. I decided when I was 13 that I wanted to be a lawyer and graduated law school 10 years later. I now have an amazing career and really love not only what I do for a living but everyone I work with. I have lots of interesting and somewhat crazy stories but I'll start with the fact that I never got involved in any sports because I was a total klutz and managed to get hurt doing the most basic activities... Examples:

1) I roller skated through a plate glass door when I was 8 because I didn't see that the door was closed
    2) I cut my head open (needed stictches) when I hit my head on the corner of a shelf on my way back up after bending over to pick something up off the floor
    3) I dislocated my hip while kicking a punching bag in karate class when I was 13
    4) I fractured my ankle doing a cartwheel when I was 15

I think my mother wanted to wrap me up like the Michellin Man and just call it a day most of the time.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Tidbit of info: The number 18 and the equivalent of *kitten*...is exactly the same word in Korean. Meaning changes with context. Awkward....

Lol. One of my sisters followed a similar teach English in Asia path, and my tidbit of related info is that her name (Mara) means d*ck in Japanese slang. She did not know this initially, so also awkward : (

So, I post in here when I'm bored or procrastinating and I appreciate how diverse this group is. I'm procrastinating right now because I really wish I had a law background for parts of my job (middle school special education case manager). One of my kiddos is in big big (federal charges maybe) trouble, and I have to run a meeting about his school placement at the kid jail tomorrow, and I really don't want to : (

And this is both a brag and not a brag: my 7 yr old is now better at chess than I am.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Well...hello....

I'm Becky, Rebecca, Becks or Run (depending on who you are). The oldest of 5 and very maternal, believe it or not. We moved around a lot when I was growing up (not military) and I went to 9 different schools between kindergarten and senior year. My parents worked hard to take care of us, meaning I worked hard to take care of my brothers (yes, I was the only girl). I always thought I'd be a pediatrician or a teacher, however I knew if I went to college, I'd drink my grades away. :wink: So, I joined the army instead.

I served for 4 years as a medic and while I volunteered for 5 deployments, I was never lucky enough to go (pre-9/11 everyone wanted to deploy). My proudest moment was getting my Field Medical Badge, which pre-war was a pretty big thing in the medical community. It's one week of practice, one week of hands-on exams, written exams and a 12-mile road march (with full gear). Out of our class of 300, only 24 survived. I was working for the MPs at the time and I was the first to get it in 15+ years. So...it makes me smile to think of it. :smile: I planned to retire from the army, but hurt my knee and that was all she wrote. I've been working as a federal employee since.

I've lived in Alaska & Hawaii thanks to Uncle Sam, so no regrets. If I could choose anywhere to live, I'd go back to Hawaii in a heartbeat. As of right now, this is the longest I've ever lived in one place (3 1/2 years), so it's home.

ETA - I write a lot....My thoughts seem to come out sometimes (sorry).
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I got fed up with how slow public schooling moved and how much I disliked my peers and aspects of socialization. I told my parents they should homeschool us. They said no. So I stopped doing all schoolwork.

Wow, I had a similar non-traditional path. Went from being bussed to G/T programs to absolute school refusal during middle school. Refused to attend high school after 8th grade, got a GED, and took college classes by interest only for a lot of years before I decided I might want to do something with it.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    I got fed up with how slow public schooling moved and how much I disliked my peers and aspects of socialization. I told my parents they should homeschool us. They said no. So I stopped doing all schoolwork.

Wow, I had a similar non-traditional path. Went from being bussed to G/T programs to absolute school refusal during middle school. Refused to attend high school after 8th grade, got a GED, and took college classes by interest only for a lot of years before I decided I might want to do something with it.

Honestly, that's probably the only thing I would change if I went back. **** highschool, no one even looks at that anymore as long as you get your GED and associates degree you can go pretty much anywhere.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    Damn, Run, you're a badass!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Ruth and I am Single. (This kind of sounds like an AA meeting)

I grew up in an odd situation of living in the country but going to school in a mid-size city. I prefer city living but love to get away to the country everyonce in awhile. I live all over MN (grew up in one area, went to two different colleges, and spent my early twenties in the Twin Cities area) before I moved to NC/SC 8 years ago. I am the youngest of 2 and the youngest of all grandchildren on my mom's side. I have worked in mortgage since I graudated college 14 years ago. I kind of fell into it since I had no idea what I really wanted to do after college, since I decided to get a business degree instead of one in Anthropology which I wanted. I pretty much wasted my 20s working too much it wasn't until I got to be about 32 that I finally actually started to get a good work/life ratio and am able to leave my job at work.

Biggest mistake I ever made in my life was buying my house. I am an apartment person but I kept getting pressure from my parents to "stop throwing my money away". One good thing that owning my house did though was force me to stay in SC when I got laid off (I worked subprime whole sale mortgages). At the time of the lay off I could have easily moved back to MN and gotten a job with the same company I worked for in SC. I think being forced to stay here and work things out has made me grow more as a person.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options

Hahaha...nope. I didn't get to finish that badge. I wanted to jump out of planes, go overseas, play a little bit more.... One day I'll do it without the uniform. :wink:

BTW, I'm loving everyone's stories. :)
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Run is a badass.

Thanks all for your life stories/input. On an off topic, I am very pro home school as well. I consider public education an organized system of propagating to the people.

Of course that is another topic in itself! I will contribute another story:

I am very interested in paranormal (although I approach it from the "skeptic" side). I don't necessarily believe ghosts and spirits can't exist, I just acknowledge that I do not know.

Anyways this weekend I went on a "ghost investigation" where lots of interesting things happened (I got lots of things recorded on my little voice recorder) I will tell about the one part that was fun/crazy.

**When I explain this I am assuming ghost's actually exist, keep in mind I acknowledge they may not**

There was "supposedly" a boy spirit named Erik, and for some reason he decided he liked me, so I told him to "go hide" and make a sound when he is ready for me to come find him (hide and seek). Like clockwork we heard walls bang, voices, footsteps and supposedly him jumping each time I had him "hide".

TLDR: I played hide and seek with a ghost boy.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    Zach, that's awesome! I have an odd fascination with Paranormal Investigation and have always wanted to give it a go myself! I also approach as a skeptic (I get frustrated when people talk about "orbs") but I've had a couple personal experiences that lend to my interest :3

I never would have guess that about you!

Though I'm not surprised you would seem to prefer the charter school/voucher system to our current public schooling set up haha!
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options
    I am very interested in paranormal (although I approach it from the "skeptic" side). I don't necessarily believe ghosts and spirits can't exist, I just acknowledge that I do not know.

Anyways this weekend I went on a "ghost investigation" where lots of interesting things happened (I got lots of things recorded on my little voice recorder) I will tell about the one part that was fun/crazy.

**When I explain this I am assuming ghost's actually exist, keep in mind I acknowledge they may not**

There was "supposedly" a boy spirit named Erik, and for some reason he decided he liked me, so I told him to "go hide" and make a sound when he is ready for me to come find him (hide and seek). Like clockwork we heard walls bang, voices, footsteps and supposedly him jumping each time I had him "hide".

I have been to a haunted jail in Charleston and a haunted house in Savannah.
  • zachatta
    Options

Neat! I can't give out dates for obvious reasons but our next place to go is that exact jail!

:) Was it scary?
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I don't do haunted stuff lol.. I am too willing to believe and would not like to piss anything off....

However saying that I have had a couple of experiences especially at the first rehab center I worked in... We had a ghost on our floor. Yeah yeah shut it lol... This older lady in a white nightgown would walk into a room and wouldn't be there if you followed her in ... The more religous of our CNA's requested transfers to other floors or quit. She never hurt anyone though she scared the poop outta a few people.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My starangest paranormal story was when I was a teenager. My sister and I went over to her friend's house which was supposedly possessed. Things would move on their own, crosses would flip upside down on the walls and all kinds of strange things. So we decided to go see for ourselves. When we got to the front door, my sister wallked through the open door without a problem, but when I tried I actiually felt like something was pushing me back out. I couldn't walk through the open door at all. It was very strange but the house did not want me to enter. I told my sister I'd see her back home and left.
  • zachatta
    Options
    Zach, that's awesome! I have an odd fascination with Paranormal Investigation and have always wanted to give it a go myself! I also approach as a skeptic (I get frustrated when people talk about "orbs") but I've had a couple personal experiences that lend to my interest :3

I never would have guess that about you!

Though I'm not surprised you would seem to prefer the charter school/voucher system to our current public schooling set up haha!

I actually enjoy propaganda (studying it rather, seems much more powerful than any standing army), so because of that I detest public schooling.

You should give it a go! I didn't for a long time, finally did and I had a blast! I never buy the "orbs" thing, it may or may not be spirits but it isn't very exciting to me in general. I understand when people dismiss them.

To be honest I am not participating because I am trying to "prove to the world ghosts exist" because even if I caught one on camera, someone would just dismiss it as video editing.

Just proving to myself is all. I like to gather lots of experience before I make a claim though, so more investigations ahead!
  • MissingMinnesota
    Options

Neat! I can't give out dates for obvious reasons but our next place to go is that exact jail!

:) Was it scary?

I got heat stroke while at the jail but I recommend going at night, we went when it was still light outside and that was a mistake. We still got pictures of the orbs (ghosts).

ETA: I got heat stroke because we went in August and I was at my heaviest weight. It was just not pleasant.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I totally believe in ghosts, etc. When you live in a house that was built in the 1820's and there are unexplained noises, and the dogs go crazy for no reason, windows slam down when things are said.....they made a believer out of me--well, I already believed anyway.......
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My name is Alexis and I have lived in South Florida now for 5 months. I started off in NJ, at the age of 5 I moved to PR, at 16 I moved to VA, at 23 I moved to NY, at 24 I moved to VA Beach and now I'm here! No military affiliation, just lots of moving. I have had over 12 jobs in the past 12 years too. Hmm.. I think I'm seeing a trend. I do however, have a passion for event planning. I started my own business in 2010 and once I am settled in at my own place here in FL and can get an office put together I'm starting it up again. Anyone getting married or planning a big party? I can make it happen :) I also love animals and enjoy volunteering for the spca.