100 Pushup Challenge

Options

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    The story I kept thinking about as I did my push-ups yesterday:
    Back in the old days of Greece (6th century BC) there was a man named Milo of Croton. Milo was a champion Olympic wrestler and had an athletic career that lasted over 20 years. He was a real person with fact and myth surrounding his life. The story of how he built his strength went a little something like this…

"When Milo was a young man, his father bought him a baby bull. Every day Milo’s father would ask, “How big is your bull today, my son?” and Milo would walk out into the field and pick up the bull and bring it to his father to show him. Every day the bull grew a little bit bigger and so did Milo’s strength. Eventually he was strong enough to pick up the grown bull."

The problem with this paradox is that eventually the bull grows faster than Milo's strength, no? So one day Milo can't pick up the bull or worse injuries himself trying to pick up the bull.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

The problem with this paradox is that eventually the bull grows faster than Milo's strength, no? So one day Milo can't pick up the bull or worse injuries himself trying to pick up the bull.

This is actually a really important reminder for all of us.

This is a 6 week plan, but there are no laws saying it has to be completed in six weeks!!!

There would be absolutely nothing wrong with, say, doing Day 1 all three times in the first week, Day 2 all three times in the second week, and so on. It's important to listen to your body and not overdo things and to stretch our your goals into reasonable and achievable "chunks".

If it takes you 8, 10, 12, 20 or 50 weeks to get through this challenge, so be it! The important things to keep in mind, then, are: 1) don't do anything that will result in you getting injured (so listen to your body!), but also 2) do push/challenge yourself a little bit during your workouts, because that's how you progress and make gains.

Great post, treetop! :flowerforyou:
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! Awesome results to everyone! And, yes, love that post, treetop.

Day 2: Week 3, Column 2: 14/1914/14/20 (max)
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Week 1/Day 1: 4/5/4/4/7
    And week 1 is a success! :D On to the next! :D
    I'd love to hear how everyone else is doing at the end of their first week!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Booooo woke up with my shoulder bump all painful again. I'm bowing out. :cry:
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    This sounds like fun so gonna give it a go...

Week3, Day1 Col1 10,12,7,7, 21
  • choncho007
    choncho007 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ok so I actually made myself do pushups and I did 8 yesterday!! I have not been able to do more than one in years!!!
  • sjiphone
    sjiphone Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm joining too. A week late, but better late than never. I just downloaded the app and I'm starting Monday.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Week 1, day 3: 11/15/10/9/max-21
  • brandiuntz
    Options
    Booooo woke up with my shoulder bump all painful again. I'm bowing out. :cry:

Sorry you're having to bow out.:sad: Hope you heal up fast. :flowerforyou:
  • Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to do this. In the past I've been able to do a lot of alternative pushups (knees and knuckles for my wrists) but no more than maybe 4 or 5 standard pushups (still on knuckles). I've always felt like I've just got too comfortable with the alternative ones and that I've never pushed myself to do the "real" ones. Pardon that awful pun.

So I guess I'll do the test and give this a go =].
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Booooo woke up with my shoulder bump all painful again. I'm bowing out.

Oh nooooooo! :( Too bad! But it's more important not to aggravate an injury. Rest, heal and maybe join in another time!

Ok so I actually made myself do pushups and I did 8 yesterday!! I have not been able to do more than one in years!!!

A great accomplishment!!!
    I'm joining too. A week late, but better late than never. I just downloaded the app and I'm starting Monday.
    So I guess I'll do the test and give this a go =].
    This sounds like fun so gonna give it a go...

Fantastic! Welcome to the party Adynata, Ecce_Signum and sj!

Congrats to everyone else who "pushed" (ha-ha) through this week!
  • ronboy1979
    ronboy1979 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Got my day 2 done this morning, when I get home tonight I am going to do my day 3.
  • TheTrym
    TheTrym Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Week 1/Day 3: 4/5/4/4/10
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Txs for the welcome cmeirun :) Don't think doing two days btb was wise and will probably suffer tomorrow now.

Week 3 Day 2 Col 2 14/19/14/14 & 21 =82
  • brandiuntz
    Options
    Welcome to the new folks!

Day 3 of the first week:

Week 3 Column 2 Day 3: 16/21/15/15/23 (max). total = 90.
  • alanfogarty
    Options
    Think I will give it a go! Starting Monday. I just need to get the app. also on week 2 of the c25k app at the moment so should be a good balance.

It's nice to have a group to do this with. Good luck to u all I can't wait until we all get to 100!!!!!
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Welcome aboard, alanf!!!

Also, for people who don't know...you CAN do this without the app. I was too cheap to spend the .99 (lol) so I just printed off the pdf of the schedule and recording things the old fashioned way with paper and pencil :)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Ditto!
  • TheTrym
    TheTrym Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just realised I could get the app for a windows phone today, so I have a trial version now, probably gonna get the full one. I started out jotting down my numbers on pushupslogger.com, will continue doing that since I also log squats and sit ups.