February Challenge - Me vs. The Binge

Options

Replies

• lesterj64
    Options
    I'm new to the group, but really need to do this! So, I'm in.
  • rincoglionita
    rincoglionita Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Why are the days before or after my binges so wonky? Overeating days trigger the next day to be a binge(I think because I get a taste of large portions and rebelling food plans... then I want more the next day) OR binge days bring about a second day of binge eating OR overeating.. for the same reasons. It's hard to get back to normal portions.

I have another theory about this and, mind you, it is only a theory. And maybe this thread isn't the place for it.

I wonder if the "overeating days" are more like pre-binges? Like, whatever is bothering you and is triggering a binge is kind of building up steam and is only beginning to manifest itself? Then your body realizes that the drug of food actually *works* at making you feel better (temporarily, of course) and wants more of that feeling again, causing you to full-on binge the next day. That same theory could explain another day (and another day or week) of bingeing--whatever emotion caused you to binge in the first place was soothed by the drug/food, and your body craved a repeat of that experience until you reach the satiation point. I guess my theory isn't quite just a theory, as much as it is part of my own history of decades of bingeing and finally figuring out through the hard work of therapy that this is what's been going on for *me*, and I wouldn't want to deny you the uniqueness of your life and experience. Maybe some (non-binge!) food for thought? :wink:

Anyway, IceyRain, if you--and others, of course!--want to continue this conversation in another thread, that might be interesting.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Why are the days before or after my binges so wonky? Overeating days trigger the next day to be a binge(I think because I get a taste of large portions and rebelling food plans... then I want more the next day) OR binge days bring about a second day of binge eating OR overeating.. for the same reasons. It's hard to get back to normal portions.

I have another theory about this and, mind you, it is only a theory. And maybe this thread isn't the place for it.

I wonder if the "overeating days" are more like pre-binges? Like, whatever is bothering you and is triggering a binge is kind of building up steam and is only beginning to manifest itself? Then your body realizes that the drug of food actually *works* at making you feel better (temporarily, of course) and wants more of that feeling again, causing you to full-on binge the next day. That same theory could explain another day (and another day or week) of bingeing--whatever emotion caused you to binge in the first place was soothed by the drug/food, and your body craved a repeat of that experience until you reach the satiation point. I guess my theory isn't quite just a theory, as much as it is part of my own history of decades of bingeing and finally figuring out through the hard work of therapy that this is what's been going on for *me*, and I wouldn't want to deny you the uniqueness of your life and experience. Maybe some (non-binge!) food for thought? :wink:

Anyway, IceyRain, if you--and others, of course!--want to continue this conversation in another thread, that might be interesting.

Yes, that could very well be true. Well, not for every time I get over my calorie goal.. but there are days I find I am overeating more to solve some problem - and I'm too aware to turn it into a binge but I do justify eating more.. or getting an extra snack/dessert. I guess food can be soothing. Today 'overeating' turned into a binge.. .ah. After logging my counts, too.. I'll have to change that tomorrow.

Thanks for the thoughts. :)
  • jlp100
    jlp100 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Me - 2
    Binge 1

(Over cals - 2 days running)

Ate at weird times today so am having a late supper which probably isn't good but am having chicken, better than pizza.

Need to get out of this rut feel down and comfort eating sucks, still want to do it... darn this thing I will control myself.... tomorrow :blushing:
  • mn145
    mn145 Posts: 17
    Options
    Me: 3
    Binge: 3

It's been a rough month. Have been stress bingeing. I'm here to stop the cycle for the rest of the month!
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Greeky - 3
    Binge - 3 (2/1, 2/5, 2/6)

UGH. I was doing so well and feeling so good too. I have to forgive myself and move forward. I won't get anywhere by hating and punishing.
  • carathanassis
    Options
    I'd like to still join. Although I'm late to the thread -- I do know the score.

Me: 4
    Binge: 2
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I am joining late but I want in. I love the accountability maybe if I have to put it on here I won't do it.

Me: 2
    Binge: 4
  • peanutbutterrunner
    Options
    Michelle - 5
    Binge - 1
  • totalhealth12
    totalhealth12 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    2/6

Me: 6
    Binge: 0
  • greenteacupz
    greenteacupz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Me: 4
    Binge: 0
    Overeat: 1

I am not going to be down on myself for overeating. But at the same time, overeating seems to me to be a trigger for those binges just as much as undereating is as well. So, I think I'll log it, just to keep me aware of that pattern.

You guys are a great group, by the way! This is so helpful.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    February 2013

December 2012: 19/12
    January 2013 : 23/08

Terry - 4
    The Binge - 2

Logging days - 6 / 28
  • jackieKNJ
    Options
    Me - 6

"The Binge" - 0

Forgot to post yesterday, but I stayed on track.

So far, so good. I hope I stay in control.
  • rincoglionita
    rincoglionita Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    2/6/13

Me: 6
    the binge: 0

days logged: 6/28
  • SelfHelpJunky
    SelfHelpJunky Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Feb 7 2013

Colleen 6
    The Binge 0
    Days finished logging 6

2013 stats:
    January 22/9

Had a good day, but getting pretty sloppy with journaling my feelings after I eat. Must get back on track with this!

@IceyRain and rincoglionita- Thanks for the thoughtful discussion on the overeating/bingeing cycle. I will have to keep an eye on this in the future.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I hope I can join! I am in need of this. Had a small binge yesterday (I did work off the extra calories but I still did binge)
    I will try some more distractions. Also, I watched a cooking show that may have caused it!!

February 2013:
    Karen 5
    The Binge 1

Days Left 22
    Welcome Karen and congrats on your awesome weight loss too!!! Very inspiring! Keep up the good work!!

THANKS!!!

February 2013:
    Karen 6
    The Binge 1

Days Left 21
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    February 2013

Diane: 2
    Binge : 4
  • purpleroxmysocks
    purpleroxmysocks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Me-5
    The Binge-1

I went over my calories yesterday and probably ate a few things I shouldn't have but I didn't lose control and I am pretty proud of myself for that!
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Me 7! (so far0
    Binge 0

Last night was a close call and I ended by under eating for the day!
    :-D
  • Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    February 2013

Diane: 2
    Binge : 4

I see a positive trend here!!! Great job, doing whatever you are doing to make it work:bigsmile: