February Challenge - Me vs. The Binge

Options

Replies

• lesterj64
    Options
    Hey there everyone!

Binge 0

Me 1

Now I want to get this right. Just because I woke up around 1am(went to bed at about 11pm) and ate some food (cause I felt hungry), does that mean I broke the rules of bingeing?
    My psychologist thinks I should have not eaten anything at all. While that's really the way to go, the ultimate goal. However, I just looked up bingeing and it said uncontrollable indulgence. I don't believe that 's what I did. I got up and chose food to eat (not exactly the best choices) and after that I did not eat anything until this morning at 5:00am.
    So, am I right in my score or should it be the other way around????
    Lester
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    February 2013

Jen - 6
    Binge - 0

Log it all: 7/28
  • rincoglionita
    rincoglionita Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Just because I woke up around 1am(went to bed at about 11pm) and ate some food (cause I felt hungry), does that mean I broke the rules of bingeing?
    My psychologist thinks I should have not eaten anything at all. While that's really the way to go, the ultimate goal. However, I just looked up bingeing and it said uncontrollable indulgence. I don't believe that 's what I did. I got up and chose food to eat (not exactly the best choices) and after that I did not eat anything until this morning at 5:00am.

Hi, Lester. I think that pretty much any time you eat from legitimate hunger to the point of satiety (and not crazily beyond), you are eating for the right reason. It sounds like there was nothing "uncontrolled" or "indulgent" about your eating because you were truly hungry (unless you ate massive quantities). It may have been unplanned, but this doesn't sound like a binge to me. Perhaps you have experienced eating episodes that felt out-of-control, unstoppable, and that led to feeling physically and/or emotionally bad afterwards. I would consider those to be binges. But IMO what happened last night was responding to your body's NEED for fuel. Again, this is just my opinion, but it's based on my decades-long experience with binge eating disorder.

I'm curious why your psychologist said you shouldn't have eaten anything at all if you were hungry.
  • lesterj64
    Options
    Hi rincoglionita,

Thank you for responding to my post.

She explained that our bodies were not meant to be eating at night. 1) Because food isn't digested, and our metabolic system isn't really doing it's job like it should. 2) The worst thing you can do after eating is go to sleep. The food makes us more heavy than we need to be. (Well, I've got news for her, sometimes I can't sleep unless I eat something) Not enormous amounts of food, but like last night, the things I ate totaled 240 calories. Like I said, they weren't the best choices, (1) one Gluten free cookie 120 cal., (2)1 sugar free fat free jello pudding 60 cal., and (3), two ozs. of deli meat ....chicken breast 60 calories. Boy I will tell you that that is a far cry from what I'm capable of doing. Sometimes I've reached over 1,000 calories when bingeing at night.
    And in addition, since I have Barrets esophagus, the food will lay there and start entering my esophagus and causing inflammation.
    Personally, I'm with you. I understand what she's saying, but I disagree with her at least for now.
    She also told me that it's all right to feel hunger pains. They won't kill you. Just ignore them until you wake up for breakfast. You're not going to go malnourished.
    She really pissed me off. Ruined what I had thought was quite a great achievement for me. I think it was great because that is the first time in a long time that I've controlled my eating at night. So, she can think what she wants.
    Lester
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Feb 7th ~

Me: 4

The Binge: 2 (2/5, 2/6)

Overeating: 1 (2/4)

I have 3 more weeks to survive. If the binges go like they did this week (2 binges/week) - I'd have 8 binge days total for the month. While I don't aim for that goal, it would be a lower count than last month. I'd love to have 4 or less.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    Just because I woke up around 1am(went to bed at about 11pm) and ate some food (cause I felt hungry), does that mean I broke the rules of bingeing?

Hi, Lester. I think that pretty much any time you eat from legitimate hunger to the point of satiety (and not crazily beyond), you are eating for the right reason. It sounds like there was nothing "uncontrolled" or "indulgent" about your eating because you were truly hungry (unless you ate massive quantities). It may have been unplanned, but this doesn't sound like a binge to me. Perhaps you have experienced eating episodes that felt out-of-control, unstoppable, and that led to feeling physically and/or emotionally bad afterwards. I would consider those to be binges. But IMO what happened last night was responding to your body's NEED for fuel. Again, this is just my opinion, but it's based on my decades-long experience with binge eating disorder.

I'm curious why your psychologist said you shouldn't have eaten anything at all if you were hungry.

Agree 100%. Sometimes I can't sleep without food... You didn't even overeat.
  • MPJS
    MPJS Posts: 465
    Options
    Hi all

Finding this one hard!

me 3
    binge 3
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Hi rincoglionita,

Thank you for responding to my post.

She explained that our bodies were not meant to be eating at night. 1) Because food isn't digested, and our metabolic system isn't really doing it's job like it should. 2) The worst thing you can do after eating is go to sleep. The food makes us more heavy than we need to be. (Well, I've got news for her, sometimes I can't sleep unless I eat something) Not enormous amounts of food, but like last night, the things I ate totaled 240 calories. Like I said, they weren't the best choices, (1) one Gluten free cookie 120 cal., (2)1 sugar free fat free jello pudding 60 cal., and (3), two ozs. of deli meat ....chicken breast 60 calories. Boy I will tell you that that is a far cry from what I'm capable of doing. Sometimes I've reached over 1,000 calories when bingeing at night.
    And in addition, since I have Barrets esophagus, the food will lay there and start entering my esophagus and causing inflammation.
    Personally, I'm with you. I understand what she's saying, but I disagree with her at least for now.
    She also told me that it's all right to feel hunger pains. They won't kill you. Just ignore them until you wake up for breakfast. You're not going to go malnourished.
    She really pissed me off. Ruined what I had thought was quite a great achievement for me. I think it was great because that is the first time in a long time that I've controlled my eating at night. So, she can think what she wants.
    Lester

Your psychologist should stick to her job, which is psychologist, not dietician, not nutritionist. She sounds like a class A idiot, actually. You are best following your own common sense. Eating when hungry, no matter what time, does not constitute a binge. It becomes a binge if you lose track of what you are doing and end up eating past a point of fullness and consume a large amount in a short period of time (unless you are intermittent fasting, that is). My worst binge was 10,000 calories, and my usual binges were totalling at least 3500-5000 so I wouldn't worry too much anyway.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Me - 5.
    Binge - 2.(1st, 3rd).
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Tammi: 3:smile:
    Binge: 4
  • nemelkb
    Options
    Me-5
    Binge- got me today.....darn it ......1

Need to have zero binges this month. That was my goal. Why am I so easy to cave.
  • LondonChelle
    LondonChelle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and totally could use the support. Hopefully, I'll be able to give good support too!

Me: 7

The binge: 0
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    February 2013

December 2012: 19/12
    January 2013 : 23/08

Terry - 5
    The Binge - 2

Logging days - 7 / 28
  • totalhealth12
    totalhealth12 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    2/7

Me: 6
    Binge: 1

Out to dinner with hubby plus some candy later. A small binge but couldv'e been a lot worse.
  • rincoglionita
    rincoglionita Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    2/7/2013

the binge: 0

Days logged: 7/28

I could feel, I don't know, SOMETHING, some resentment or other stress that was pushing me to eat in a bingey way soon after I got home from work. I pushed back and ate a healthy and satisfying snack (protein, fiber, fat) that evened me out until I was ready to face dinner prep. I'm going to remember that strategy. Was also glad for the awareness that the resentment was making me feel a bit bingey; too often that is lacking until it's much too late.
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    Me-5
    Binge- got me today.....darn it ......1

Need to have zero binges this month. That was my goal. Why am I so easy to cave.

Expectations can self sabotage at times. When I tell myself I wont have any binges all month, I give up too quickly... it's best to not stress it. Just take it a day at a time. Instead of saying "I will not binge today" say "I will eat healthy foods and treat my body with care today". Just suggestions of course. :flowerforyou: Still got 21 days left to this month. =)
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    2/7/2013

the binge: 0

Days logged: 7/28

I could feel, I don't know, SOMETHING, some resentment or other stress that was pushing me to eat in a bingey way soon after I got home from work. I pushed back and ate a healthy and satisfying snack (protein, fiber, fat) that evened me out until I was ready to face dinner prep. I'm going to remember that strategy. Was also glad for the awareness that the resentment was making me feel a bit bingey; too often that is lacking until it's much too late.

Yay! Way to go :D
  • lesterj64
    Options
    Me: 1

Mr. Binge (the enemy)
    definitely (1)

No question about it! I was out of control yesterday.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Me - 5.
    Binge - 3.

Utter despair. I hate myself so much right now. This is not a minor binge, but a really severe one, at least 6000 calories, staggered over the morning hours from 5am til 11am. Going to take me weeks to undo this. Never again. I am so done with this, even if I have to starve it out of myself.
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    February 2013:
    Karen 5
    The Binge 2

Days Left 21

I had a bad day yesterday. Boredom, cravings and not feeling well and I binged BAD!!