• Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Putting The Brakes On Emotional Eating, by Jillian Michaels

http://www.everydayhealth.com/putting-the-brakes-on-emotional-eating.aspx
  • s07civic
    s07civic Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have been an emotional eater for as long as I can remember. Thanks for sharing this. I've saved these onto my computer so I can refer back to them in the future as the need arises. THANKS AGAIN!
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these. I agree with the one about eating what you want - just make a healthy version of it (like the whole grain pancakes). I have given up snacking (even healthy foods) because once I start snacking, I can't seem to stop. If I'm really hungry, I have something high-protein/low sugar (sugar makes me go crazy!).

I'm finding that sipping hot herbal tea (I get a variety of flavors) is really helping in the evenings and helping me get more water too.
  • hootowlsammi
    Options
    By Marlena Torres.

Emotional eating is a behavior that we have the power to change. The key to getting past destructive eating habits is learning how to nourish your body, mind and soul.

It doesn’t matter if you eat emotionally once a month, just on the weekends, or every single day. These tools will make it less likely that you fall susceptible to emotional eating and it‘s aftereffects.

Food should nourish, comfort, and delight us. Eating a meal can be a joyous and celebratory experience when these five steps are implemented.

1. KNOW YOUR TRIGGERS, Know Yourself - Know your triggers and your “stress times”. It is important that we separate ourselves from triggers and stressful situations before we sit down to eat. This tool is listed as number one for a reason: without this tool, all the others listed will be very difficult to implement with success.

Try to come up with a delightful way to separate the stress that you may have experienced throughout the day and your eating time. This is especially important prior to dinner, when overeating is most common.

Some great examples are: short walks, deep breathing, dancing to your favorite tunes, a hot bath with essential oils, yoga, or jumping on a mini trampoline. It could also be reading your favorite poetry, walking your dog, or cuddling with a pet, partner or child.

The fifteen to thirty minutes it takes to relax before eating will be well worth it.

If you have triggers, honor them. If you cannot watch a movie while eating without eating mindlessly, then don’t do it. If taking phone calls while preparing dinner puts you in a frantic state of mind, don’t take calls while you’re making dinner.

Remember that your behaviors are trying to tell you something, and that you must listen closely and honor them in order to heal and live the life of your dreams.

2. Don’t Compromise - Make sure that you love your food. Do not eat nori in your salad if you hate it simply because you need B12 and sea minerals. You can get those things from a supplement if you are deficient in B12 or certain minerals.

Many of us have completely lost touch with what we truly desire and enjoy in our meals. It’s time to get back to what delights us!

If you want chocolate chip pancakes for dinner, then you should eat them. There are high quality, whole grain options for everything, so there is no need to settle for a salad if what you are really desiring is something warm and fluffy with pure maple syrup drizzled on top. Always honor your desires, while also honoring your body and health.

3. Eat Whole, Organic Foods - Much of emotional eating is due to undernourishment from eating foods that are processed and lack nutrition. When we eat a whole foods diet rich in produce, our body will desire more of these healthy foods, not the junk! Even when we overindulge in whole foods, the negative effects are not nearly as devastating as they are when we settle for their processed counterparts.

4. Personal Pleasure as Priority - Sometimes we emotionally eat not because of stress, sadness, or food addiction, but because we have forgotten to fit pleasure into our day! The result of this is only having food to look forward to. My friends, this is unacceptable!

If you feel unsure of what brings you pleasure , think back to what brought you joy as a child. Incorporate that into your life as often as possible. This is a priority for your health. Never forget it.

5. Connect - It is very important to take time to connect with yourself every day. Meditation is a wonderful way to do this. Try it out and see how it changes your outlook. Another option would be to stretch to your favorite music, or utilize any of the other options given in tool number one.

When healthy eating, personal needs, pleasure, and connection are attended to, the need to eat emotionally begins to vanish. When we understand our body to be the temple that it is, we nourish it with nutritious foods and nourishing lifestyle practices that empower us. This transforms us into the amazing people that deep down we already know we are.
  • hootowlsammi
    Options
    Thank you II am going to try the different things to do to get my mind off eating. I am glad I am not alone it's great to have a support team. :wink:
  • trh160
    trh160 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • juany38
    Options
    hello,i just joined the group.im really enloying the posts from everyone..
  • landrews1225
    landrews1225 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater and anorexic. I have major ups and downs. This is a great article and very helpful. Thank you!
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the post
  • MsTreeTree
    MsTreeTree Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post, I was actually searching the boards for a group b/c i was craving sweets tonight and trying to find a way to battle against it. I feel in control again for now. I look forward to reading and interacting with this group. :smile:
  • mamawoz
    mamawoz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this posting. It is informational and thought provoking... Just what the doctor ordered!
  • hnewton84
    Options
    I so relate! Thank you!
  • Greeneyes364
    Greeneyes364 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great post! I am an emotional eater! I over eat when I am happy or sad. I will try these tips, my favourite is to do something else enjoyable so food is not the only thing to look forward to! I will be dancing to some music next time I crave a chocolate bar! lol
  • jamie88moore
    jamie88moore Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    By Marlena Torres.

Emotional eating is a behavior that we have the power to change. The key to getting past destructive eating habits is learning how to nourish your body, mind and soul.

It doesn’t matter if you eat emotionally once a month, just on the weekends, or every single day. These tools will make it less likely that you fall susceptible to emotional eating and it‘s aftereffects.

Food should nourish, comfort, and delight us. Eating a meal can be a joyous and celebratory experience when these five steps are implemented.

1. KNOW YOUR TRIGGERS, Know Yourself - Know your triggers and your “stress times”. It is important that we separate ourselves from triggers and stressful situations before we sit down to eat. This tool is listed as number one for a reason: without this tool, all the others listed will be very difficult to implement with success.

Try to come up with a delightful way to separate the stress that you may have experienced throughout the day and your eating time. This is especially important prior to dinner, when overeating is most common.

Some great examples are: short walks, deep breathing, dancing to your favorite tunes, a hot bath with essential oils, yoga, or jumping on a mini trampoline. It could also be reading your favorite poetry, walking your dog, or cuddling with a pet, partner or child.

The fifteen to thirty minutes it takes to relax before eating will be well worth it.

If you have triggers, honor them. If you cannot watch a movie while eating without eating mindlessly, then don’t do it. If taking phone calls while preparing dinner puts you in a frantic state of mind, don’t take calls while you’re making dinner.

Remember that your behaviors are trying to tell you something, and that you must listen closely and honor them in order to heal and live the life of your dreams.

2. Don’t Compromise - Make sure that you love your food. Do not eat nori in your salad if you hate it simply because you need B12 and sea minerals. You can get those things from a supplement if you are deficient in B12 or certain minerals.

Many of us have completely lost touch with what we truly desire and enjoy in our meals. It’s time to get back to what delights us!

If you want chocolate chip pancakes for dinner, then you should eat them. There are high quality, whole grain options for everything, so there is no need to settle for a salad if what you are really desiring is something warm and fluffy with pure maple syrup drizzled on top. Always honor your desires, while also honoring your body and health.

3. Eat Whole, Organic Foods - Much of emotional eating is due to undernourishment from eating foods that are processed and lack nutrition. When we eat a whole foods diet rich in produce, our body will desire more of these healthy foods, not the junk! Even when we overindulge in whole foods, the negative effects are not nearly as devastating as they are when we settle for their processed counterparts.

4. Personal Pleasure as Priority - Sometimes we emotionally eat not because of stress, sadness, or food addiction, but because we have forgotten to fit pleasure into our day! The result of this is only having food to look forward to. My friends, this is unacceptable!

If you feel unsure of what brings you pleasure , think back to what brought you joy as a child. Incorporate that into your life as often as possible. This is a priority for your health. Never forget it.

5. Connect - It is very important to take time to connect with yourself every day. Meditation is a wonderful way to do this. Try it out and see how it changes your outlook. Another option would be to stretch to your favorite music, or utilize any of the other options given in tool number one.

When healthy eating, personal needs, pleasure, and connection are attended to, the need to eat emotionally begins to vanish. When we understand our body to be the temple that it is, we nourish it with nutritious foods and nourishing lifestyle practices that empower us. This transforms us into the amazing people that deep down we already know we are.
  • MySkinnyMom
    MySkinnyMom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You are exactly right. MANY people struggling with weight issues and health problems, could learn a lot from your well thought out and factual post, including myself.
    I can eat healthy, exercise and stay on track until .......stressed. The first onset of stress, first causes me to lose focus & begin biting my nails, second stage is the worst, heading for as much chocolate as a family of four could devour. Then, for days, I'm more depressed, sick and angry.
    Now, because of knowledgeable people's posts, like yours, I have learned to stay in control---since I know what triggers those bad actions-but immediately I have to go into survival mode.
    I grab my bible and start reading,, I always find comfort in our Lord, Jesus. I pray and talk with him, he knows me better than I know myself. I will go on a walk and meditate on his word, our gospel. Because, there is "no one" that loves me and cares for me more, than my savior, Jesus Christ.
    Now, I have control and by being healthy, mind, soul and spirit, I am set for this life and life eternal.
    Thank you Jesus, for loving and caring for us SO much!
  • sylvia270
    sylvia270 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great tips!!
  • RobynUnfiltered
    RobynUnfiltered Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks this is great!:happy:
  • bowmaster71
    bowmaster71 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. After reading most of the reply's:flowerforyou: there are many great tips. My part of the day is from 1-4 in the afternoon. I am alone all day so I need to figure away to keep my hands out of the cabinets.
  • sarahb139
    sarahb139 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    emotional eating is the bane of my life!! I can be doing really well dieting/eating wise and in one afternoon undo all the good i've done. I know my triggers (i think!) but sometimes its only after the event that i realise what i've done. i've been doing MFP for 2 weeks so far and trying to keep a track of what i'm eating but even then i've eaten the food before looking to see how many calories etc. and feel such guilt later.