February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Options

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have watched the stronglifts video, not come across the Starting Strength videos though.
    I have figured I may have been squatting with the barbell in the wrong place, judging from the video. I have been squatting with it resting on my upper back but in the video, he looks as if he is holding the bar slightly away from his back, unless I am seeing it wrong ?

Ok sweetie maybe these will help you:

Squat : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

Deadlift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU

Overhead Press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAXPJ3PfdyY

Bench Press; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQutODgl2J4

These are all with Rippetoe and produced for Crossfit.

Pendlay Rows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg

This is by the man himself - Glenn Pendlay

You can basically go to Youtube and do a search under Mark Rippetoe (and then whichever exercise you're looking for) and he will explain everything you want to check out, in depth and with great precision.
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Barbell rows conundrum:

Option A: Should I be trying to do this:
    http://youtu.be/EoppINuThrk

OR

Option B should I be trying to do this:
    http://youtu.be/rjd8QtRzKYI

Option B doesn't seem friendly once getting to heavier loads. Option A is more complicated to get correct form. What does everyone here do. My trainer instructed Option B. I'm still struggling to figure out what I should be doing.

I just watched the Pendlays row video and I've watched it before but once I get to the gym I just can't seem to accomplish that flat back. Mine is all rounded and I can only get it flat if I do option B - the cheater row.
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Barbell rows conundrum:

Option A: Should I be trying to do this:
    http://youtu.be/EoppINuThrk

OR

Option B should I be trying to do this:
    http://youtu.be/rjd8QtRzKYI

Option B doesn't seem friendly once getting to heavier loads. Option A is more complicated to get correct form. What does everyone here do. My trainer instructed Option B. I'm still struggling to figure out what I should be doing.

Depends on what you want to work out. Option B puts you at like a 45 degree angle and so the muscles you'll be working are going to be different from A where the back is almost parallel to the floor.

They're both barbell rows, but different types.

Which you choose is ultimately up to you, really. Pretty sure for Stronglifts it's the Pendlay (with the parallel back and the weight back on the floor with every rep) and not the classic barbell row.

Here is the Pendlay Row video:

There's some folk who do neither and opt for 1-arm rows because of tweaked backs and whatnot. Straight up barbell rows aren't for everyone, so if you end up modifying, there's no shame in that.

If I can't get my act together with the Pendlays I might switch to another version myself or just purchase a short bar and do them 1-armed. Then again I might just do the power cleans. Lots of options with this here lifting business. :laugh:

P.S. Y'all keep in mind that I'm a total noob yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt cause I'm only about a month in and still in the kiddie pool. :smile:
  • nzfoxz
    nzfoxz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi all...my first post over here! I've only just started 5X5, have just done my first two workouts last week. I've been doing light weights at high reps for a while and have finally made the transition.
    Here's my numbers from week one...bring on week two!
    Squats: 99lb
    Deadlift: 88lb (though I did 5 sets instead of one, oops, missed that this was meant to be only one set)
    Barbell rows: 88lb
    Overhead press: 35lb
    Chest press: 45lb
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Hi all...my first post over here! I've only just started 5X5, have just done my first two workouts last week. I've been doing light weights at high reps for a while and have finally made the transition.
    Deadlift: 88lb (though I did 5 sets instead of one, oops, missed that this was meant to be only one set)

Impressive! And welcome!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have watched the stronglifts video, not come across the Starting Strength videos though.
    I have figured I may have been squatting with the barbell in the wrong place, judging from the video. I have been squatting with it resting on my upper back but in the video, he looks as if he is holding the bar slightly away from his back, unless I am seeing it wrong ?

Ok sweetie maybe these will help you:

Squat : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

Deadlift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX8jgCFXYTU

Overhead Press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAXPJ3PfdyY

Bench Press; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQutODgl2J4

These are all with Rippetoe and produced for Crossfit.

This is by the man himself - Glenn Pendlay

You can basically go to Youtube and do a search under Mark Rippetoe (and then whichever exercise you're looking for) and he will explain everything you want to check out, in depth and with great precision.

Thanks. No idea when I will be able to lift again. I went cycling for the first time in a few months today, just a short ride, and while i was bending to find out why the wheels were simply spinning, something went in my left lower back. Never had pain like this in my back. I can only assume it built up from doing the lifting, followed by an intense circuit class that had me dropping to the floor for pushups, and that the bike was the final push or something. If i stand using my right leg, it isnt too bad, but stand with my left leg and pain. Straightening up is hard, bending is hard, turning to the left is hard. Grrr. I do not want to have to sit on my bum for weeks and lose the fitness I have gained. No idea what I have done.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Made the mistake of trying out a boxing fitness class a few hours after lifting, and boy do I feel it today. Never felt such bad aching muscles...legs and arms and shoulders, lol. I had assumed the boxing would be just sparring, but she had us doing a set of 50 crunches, followed by a minutes long plank, followed by repeats of the same in slightly lower numbers, as well as squats, lunges, pushups, skipping, sparring, running around and ouch, oh my. First time I have experienced this degree of muscle ache.

Also starving hungry now, the day after.
    Even after having chicken breast, sweet potato, a pound of vegetables and some butter for dinner, lol.

I get really hungry when I work out too. Exercise is definitely not an appetite suppressant for me! It sounds like you are feeding yourself really well! Great dinner!

Thanks, yes I try to eat well, though I cannot deny I have yet to break free of my status as a chocoholic, lol.

Are we supposed to break free from that? uh oh! What kind of chocolate do you like to eat? My favorite is Endangered Species Intense Dark Chocolate with cocoa nibs! I have just been thinking about it. I think I have some in the freezer

Sorry about your back. keep moving if you can. We aren't meant to sit still. Walking is good for loosening up backs if you can handle it.
  • DaniH826
    Options
    Thanks. No idea when I will be able to lift again. I went cycling for the first time in a few months today, just a short ride, and while i was bending to find out why the wheels were simply spinning, something went in my left lower back. Never had pain like this in my back. I can only assume it built up from doing the lifting, followed by an intense circuit class that had me dropping to the floor for pushups, and that the bike was the final push or something. If i stand using my right leg, it isnt too bad, but stand with my left leg and pain. Straightening up is hard, bending is hard, turning to the left is hard. Grrr. I do not want to have to sit on my bum for weeks and lose the fitness I have gained. No idea what I have done.

Could be as simple as a muscle strain (heating pad and an anti-inflammatory usually resolves that) to a blown disk (worst case scenario) or a pinched nerve. I once pinched my piriformis picking up my foot to dry it after a shower. No lie. Took me out for weeks and took two steroid shots to resolve. That's when I started yoga cause I never want that kind of hurt again.

Take it easy for a few days and maybe approach this wole fitness thing a bit more cautiously, moving forward? You might have just overdone it. If it's not better in a few days, go see a doctor. Most muscle strains resolve within a few days.

I could never do a circuit after lifting. Lifting days are separate. On off days I do light cardio. That's my balance. Everyone has their own, though.

Get better!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options

Wow! Awesome weights!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Welcome! Great work....those are some pretty badass numbers for week 1!!!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    @Graelwyn.....My apologies that you didn't feel the love straight away! Welcome to the group :)
  • nzfoxz
    nzfoxz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the welcome!!! I decided to start with weights that were challenging as I was previously doing some light weight work at high reps (bodypump classes) and I play roller derby, so have had to build up a bit of strength for that too! I am excited about working toward squatting my bodyweight (130ish) and getting stronger all over, so I can hold my place on the track better against bigger players :)
  • zorreena
    Options

Welcome! Great work....those are some pretty badass numbers for week 1!!!

Agree with Vegas BADAS$ numbers.
  • zorreena
    Options
    Ummm hoping no one is offended by this but was researching weightlifting effects on sex life because I've noticed a big positive change in my "O". Came across this and thought you ladies might enjoy reading the thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/811845-ladies-if-you-want-to-bulk-have-sex?hl=Sex+lives#posts-12151299
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    Made the mistake of trying out a boxing fitness class a few hours after lifting, and boy do I feel it today. Never felt such bad aching muscles...legs and arms and shoulders, lol. I had assumed the boxing would be just sparring, but she had us doing a set of 50 crunches, followed by a minutes long plank, followed by repeats of the same in slightly lower numbers, as well as squats, lunges, pushups, skipping, sparring, running around and ouch, oh my. First time I have experienced this degree of muscle ache.

Also starving hungry now, the day after.
    Even after having chicken breast, sweet potato, a pound of vegetables and some butter for dinner, lol.

I get really hungry when I work out too. Exercise is definitely not an appetite suppressant for me! It sounds like you are feeding yourself really well! Great dinner!

Thanks, yes I try to eat well, though I cannot deny I have yet to break free of my status as a chocoholic, lol.

Are we supposed to break free from that? uh oh! What kind of chocolate do you like to eat? My favorite is Endangered Species Intense Dark Chocolate with cocoa nibs! I have just been thinking about it. I think I have some in the freezer

Sorry about your back. keep moving if you can. We aren't meant to sit still. Walking is good for loosening up backs if you can handle it.

I love dark chocolate (well 70%) with cocoa nibs, and like dark chocolate with orange bits in too, but must admit, my downfall is milk chocolate. Very hard for me to keep away from the stuff, can guarantee if I have a large bar in my home, it will be gone the same evening. Easter eggs....argh.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

Could be as simple as a muscle strain (heating pad and an anti-inflammatory usually resolves that) to a blown disk (worst case scenario) or a pinched nerve. I once pinched my piriformis picking up my foot to dry it after a shower. No lie. Took me out for weeks and took two steroid shots to resolve. That's when I started yoga cause I never want that kind of hurt again.

Take it easy for a few days and maybe approach this wole fitness thing a bit more cautiously, moving forward? You might have just overdone it. If it's not better in a few days, go see a doctor. Most muscle strains resolve within a few days.

I could never do a circuit after lifting. Lifting days are separate. On off days I do light cardio. That's my balance. Everyone has their own, though.

Get better!

Thanks.
    And yes, to be honest, I did not realise the boxing class would involve an intense circuit routine that included going down on the floor for pushups then running, then pushups then running etc etc, you get the picture. I thought more sparring and had no idea I would end up in agony doing 50 crunches lmao. It was a bit of a shock, to say the least. Definitely wont be doing that the same day as weights again. I guess I just tend to not see lifting as being as intense as my cardio, because I don't end up dripping sweat as I do with my high resistance cardio and the length of workout is shorter, so I don't feel I have done enough after lifting, even if I am a bit sweaty and my muscles ache.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    @Graelwyn.....My apologies that you didn't feel the love straight away! Welcome to the group :)

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    It looks like there are many that are having problems with the rows :sad:

I actually just finally mastered (well I think I did :laugh: ) A few workouts ago and I think the thing that finally made it click for me is in the Pendlay video where he talks about having a flat back but arching your back when you come up---bar to the chest, back arched, chest comes up a wee bit. Prior to that I had always been trying to stay completely flat backed with my shoulder blades pinched and it always felt wrong. Ever since I started doing that, propping up the plates, and making sure to put down the weight with every rep I have noticed a huge difference in how my back feels....now I can actually feel it doing something!

Now I'm off to read the link about sex :drinker: :wink:
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Ugh, we're in a blizzard warning so I'm staying home instead of heading to the gym.

Graelwyn, girl...you crazy! I am impressed that you even attempted a workout after lifting.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    No energy at all today - out late last night celebrating my 30th (which is tomorrow) and slept really badly. I'm heeding my body and having a veg/relax day so I don't relapse into snotville again. Back to the gym on Tuesday!