February Check-n-chat: Bada$$ B!tches do it with barbells

Options

Replies

• darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    and if RD is a lesbian I AM TOTALLY COOL WITH THAT! I was raised by gay people. Just sayin'.
  • vashnic
    Options
    So I just started the March check in on the other stronglifts group but it is so inactive I dont expect to see much traffic there. Pretty WoWed at where i was just a few weeks ago. Impressing even myself. Mainly because 3 months ago all I did was play World of warcraft for 10-15 hours a day. I am on disability right now and cant work. Working out some issues but hopefully its not long term. I swear I have no filter when it comes to you ladies. Open book.

Also I swear I post too much... From WOW to MFP addictions. At least this one is better for me I think.

A fellow par-time WoW player! Have been amusing myself by thinking of exercising as grinding xp, being able to lift more weight as leveling up.:tongue: It's much less stressful than actually raiding. XD
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Doozer I just read yesterday that it's statistically better to wait 5 years to get remarried.

Since it's the last day of the month:
    My goals for the Feb were:
    Squat: 5x5 125
    Bench: 5x5 90
    Rows: 5x5 90
    OHP: 5x5 72
    Dead: 1x5 160

My end numbers:
    Squat 5x5 110
    Bench 5x5 95
    Row 5x5ish 95
    OHP 5x5 74
    Dead 1x5 Finished at 155, but got to 165 before the accident :laugh:

I'm pretty excited about my numbers, and very happy I exceeded some goals. Not really counting the rows, because my form on the last rep of ever set was a little lame, but I"ll get it next time!

I want a march pun for our next thread. Like "March of the Badasses (featuring Morgan Freeman.)"

ETA: closing tags is so hard.

EATA: How do you play wow part time? Except during farm I guess, but then its superlongovertime, pt, pt, pt.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    and if RD is a lesbian I AM TOTALLY COOL WITH THAT! I was raised by gay people. Just sayin'.

Lesbian stuck in a mans body.

Yea I post here because you ladies are badass.

Token guy.

As for WoW I was hard core raiding in wrath and Cata top 1000 guild. Got really sick of having to re gear over and over. I got really depressed with my divorce and all I did was play wow. I now have 6 90s and 11 85s. Disgusting I know. Thank god I finally got sick of that game. My account is active but all I do is log on to talk to people for a bit and sit in Org.
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    Hey, guys! I've been trying to keep up but it's rather hopeless for me today.

I do have a question, though. I'd like to improve on my pushups but I often can't decide when/where to add them in. Any thoughts?

I'd do them daily personally unless youre doing a ton of them I dont think they'll affect you. Just do them after your workout.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Great conversation friends....there is so much I want to comment on but I already forgot half of it. Except Doozer liking young girls haha And the only reason that stuck out to me is because that happened with the last guy I started dating....he ended up not wanting to pursue anything because I'm the type of woman that knows what I want and the 20-somethings just like the fun :laugh: Meh to each their own. I would give a 21 year old a go just to say I did :drinker:

I think for me it's a little different because I just turned 30 so the gap isn't too huge yet. I won't be chasing young girls @ 40. My problem is that women my age are mostly looking to get married settle down and have a family. I just got divorced from my HS sweetheart last year after being together for 12 years. So I never really dated at all. It is just safer for me to date young I think right now. Not just to have "fun". Maybe in a couple years I'll start looking again, but right now I feel like if I get into something serious I'll just end up divorced twice before I turn 35.

Sorry for the double post

Yup that was pretty much the exact same for him....just turned 32 and divorced from the woman he had been with since he was 19. It wasn't just for the fun, but because 21 year old's just don't have the same expectations as a 30+ year old woman. I get it. Not judging :)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    @Darwin....I've always heard that wedding night sex was over-rated anyway :laugh:
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options

I do have a question, though. I'd like to improve on my pushups but I often can't decide when/where to add them in. Any thoughts?

I'd do them daily personally unless youre doing a ton of them I dont think they'll affect you. Just do them after your workout.

I do that after workout A. At least I think it is A. Its squats, bench, rows. The accessory lifts that accompany that workout (according to the newest Stronglifts pdf) are pushups and reverse crunches.
  • RunDoozer
    Options
    @Darwin....I've always heard that wedding night sex was over-rated anyway :laugh:

I was so tired on my wedding night. But powered through. Bittersweet that we did. We didnt get to spend anytime as just being a married couple. There was always someone else with us as that's the night she got pregnant with my daughter. Which I would never want to change anything in my life that resulted in her not being in it. And no we weren't planning on trying for a couple years. She was still on DEPO at the time.

Again probably TMI .. Sorry ladies.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Not really in response to anything, but I like how Chubby's cat is like the "after" pic of mine. Such a cute boy (or girl.)
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options

@ Jaylio I do them as a warm-up. I have had chronic shoulder issues so I do extra there.

@ RD: why after and would you recommend a different warm-up? (always looking for advice)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    A fellow par-time WoW player! Have been amusing myself by thinking of exercising as grinding xp, being able to lift more weight as leveling up.:tongue: It's much less stressful than actually raiding. XD

Yanno, if you join Fitocracy, you get XP, levels and badges for logging your workouts. Just saying.

My ID on there is DaniH826 if anyone cares and wants to add me. I log all my workouts there. Cause, XP! And badges!! Makes my inner gamer happy. :happy:

As to WoW, my account is active still but I can't bring myself to log in lately. I want to get my drake (hopefully) by getting my last holiday cheesement during Children's Week, but truth be told right now I'm really just looking forward to Elder Scrolls Online coming out this year.

@Doozer -- after my divorce it took me a good couple years to get over my "I hate all men, they're all broken!" phase. I swore I was never getting married again. Until I met my now-husband and the rest is history. Amazing stuff the second time around, because we're both grown up, know what we want, make each other laugh and have each other's backs. Not easy with the whole his and hers kids and blended families and whatnot, but it's been so well worth it. I didn't really date either just because I wasn't going to have a revolving door for my kids so I dealt with the loneliness and got busy with my friends and went back to school (where I met the hubbs). So ... I feel ya. And ... it gets better. Give yourself time to get your bearings, though, and to heal up and whatnot cause divorces are rough.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Not really in response to anything, but I like how Chubby's cat is like the "after" pic of mine. Such a cute boy (or girl.)

It's a she. She's on catnip in my profile picture, tweaking out over a squeaky mouse. :wink:
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    too much, tried to read, failed. tm;ttr;f?

Hack squats - 50lbs How the f%ck do you do these without hitting the backs of your legs?
    Overhead Press - 35lbs PR But man that was hard. Need to repeat to do all of them with good form
    DL - 115lbs. PR. Ow.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Nothing says business time like snot running down your face.

Yet another post in which I was really glad I was not drinking water at that moment. Sex after a wedding is overrated and usually doesn't happen. Everyone is exhausted or drunk. Kind of makes me feel bad for the people that wait until their wedding night...
  • RunDoozer
    Options

@ Jaylio I do them as a warm-up. I have had chronic shoulder issues so I do extra there.

@ RD: why after and would you recommend a different warm-up? (always looking for advice)

I would do them after because I wouldnt want them affecting my lifts. For warm ups I do 5 mins walking on the treadmill then I do 5 warm up sets as suggested in the guide.

It goes like this. I use the starting strength app on the iphone pretty sure theres an android version too.

2 sets of 5 with the bar
    1 sets of 5 increased weight
    1 sets of 3 increased weight
    1 sets of 2 increased weight
    1 set of 1 increased weight

As an example I did 135 on my squats yesterday so my warm up was

2 sets of 5 with the bar at 45
    1 sets of 5 at 75
    1 sets of 3 at 95
    1 sets of 2 115
    1 set of 1 125

Obviously the weights will be different but this is suggested because it helps warm up your muscles and it's not as much of a shock to your nervous system supposedly. In order to prevent injury.

Pushups I believe are considered to be half body weight so youre using more weight than you would be on the warmup sets and probably more reps also. Could tire your arms out and affect your lifts.

Just my 2 cents.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I would do them after because I wouldnt want them affecting my lifts. For warm ups I do 5 mins walking on the treadmill then I do 5 warm up sets as suggested in the guide.

It goes like this. I use the starting strength app on the iphone pretty sure theres an android version too.

2 sets of 5 with the bar

1 sets of 5 at 75
    1 sets of 3 at 95
    1 sets of 2 115
    1 set of 1 125

Obviously the weights will be different but this is suggested because it helps warm up your muscles and it's not as much of a shock to your nervous system supposedly. In order to prevent injury.

Pushups I believe are considered to be half body weight so youre using more weight than you would be on the warmup sets and probably more reps also. Could tire your arms out and affect your lifts.

Just my 2 cents.

Huh. I completely don't decrease my warmup set reps, although I probably should. Warmups for deads today were:
    1x5 @45
    1x5 @95
    1x5 @135 (then my working set of 1x5 @155)

I definitely had to rest between warm up sets as I put more weight on. Probably would have been easier if I decreased reps. How does everyone else do it?
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Oh, two other things:
    1) filled in the "what do you want from your gym" survey today with "power rack", making approx 6 requests in 18 responses. The look on the trainer's face was priceless!
    2) crouched down *kitten*-to-grass in the shower, and stood up, hip drive style. Raked my butt cheek over the bottom edge of the tap hard enough to break skin. Lessons: look behind before you squat and bodyweight squats are deceptively easy now!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    @audii - decrease weights, but I am lazy so I only do 3-4 warmup sets max, depending on how I feel that day, so its like 5 - 5- 4- 2 or 5-5-3 or 5-4-3.

also I lol'd at the car comment.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

2 sets of 5 with the bar

1 sets of 5 at 75
    1 sets of 3 at 95
    1 sets of 2 115
    1 set of 1 125

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I don't do them before as I don't want to tire myself out too quickly. Sometimes right after, though, I'm rather spent. What I have done sometimes is do them later in the day after I've recovered, but I want to do them a little more routinely. Maybe I should just give them whatever I've got left after my other lifts.