Stage 1

Options

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! I'm almost half way through stage 1 so thought I'd say hi and check in with you all. I have started this workout a couple times but always seemed to fizzle out during or after stage 2. Gotta stick with it this time!
  • Daresie
    Daresie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's is probably a dumb question, and I have looked through several pages of posts but I don't see it asked anywhere... Last night was my first night in the free weights area. When I record my numbers, do I only put down the added weight? For squats, I only used an empty bar. So is that counted as 45 or as body weight only?

I had my workout sheet copied and the pages ready in my book, then left them sitting at home!! Oh we'll, I got the first night done. Today I am sore, but not unbearably so. Looking forward to workout B tomorrow! This is my first time ever using real weights so it is quite a learning experience. I read in some other thread about people watching other people working out. I try not to stare, but watching others is a good way for us newbies to learn. Sometimes trying to figureugh out what to do with a certain station feels overwhelming. I sure appreciate all the positive support I have read in these threads!
  • Vsez
    Vsez Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Not a dumb question. The bar counts as added weight so you would write 45lbs.
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I still have to hit the introduction thread. I also started stage 1 Monday and did 1b1 tonight. I started with a 30 lb barbell squat on 1a1 and went up to 40lbs tonight. I did a trial run with the oly bar and the squat rack a few weeks ago so I'll be going up to that on next Wednesday. I'm a little nervous about the squat rack but gotta go there. I bumped up my calories another few hundred. That's got me a little nervous too but trying to follow the book and have some faith. I'm very excited to do this program!
    Hi everyone,

Thought I'd pop in here to say hello. I did a quick intro in the Introductions thread. Since I'm in stage 1, I thought this would be a good place to start.

I officially started stage 1 on Monday, and will hopefully be doing 1B1 tonight. I can't believe how sore I was after A1A, especially my quads. My form seemed iffy on the squat - using the empty bar was way harder than I expected (i could squat at home with 20# DBs no problem, but i know balancing the bar is part of the challenge). I'm convinced the bar must have weighed more than 45 pounds :wink:. I've practiced at home, and I think my form looks OK, so we shall see how the squat feels Friday when I do 1A2. For the previous two weeks, I did practice runs of the workouts twice, plus I'm doing the 8 week version, so I am really anxious to be done with the 2 set 15 rep portion. However, I thought this would be a good time to make sure I've nailed down my form on my squats and dead lifts with the Olympic bar.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!
  • Daresie
    Daresie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Tonight was my 2nd night working weights, and it was way harder than the first...probably because I am still sore from last time.

Anyway... I made it through the reps except for the crunches. I prefer to do them at home. But in doing the lunges in the 2nd set, I just couldn't push through to 15. I made it to 10 and thought I would surely die right then and there. I was only using 7.5 weights, so the weight wasn't too heavy - I'm pretty sure it would have been almost as hard with just body weight. Hopefully I can improve on that.... There is certainly room to improve!

Question on the weights for the seated row and the lateral pull down- at our gym there is just a number on every other weight: 2, 4, 6, etc. I assume this is typical, but I don't know how much weight it is. Can someone explain??
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Tonight was my 2nd night working weights, and it was way harder than the first...probably because I am still sore from last time.

Anyway... I made it through the reps except for the crunches. I prefer to do them at home. But in doing the lunges in the 2nd set, I just couldn't push through to 15. I made it to 10 and thought I would surely die right then and there. I was only using 7.5 weights, so the weight wasn't too heavy - I'm pretty sure it would have been almost as hard with just body weight. Hopefully I can improve on that.... There is certainly room to improve!

Question on the weights for the seated row and the lateral pull down- at our gym there is just a number on every other weight: 2, 4, 6, etc. I assume this is typical, but I don't know how much weight it is. Can someone explain??

On our lat machines the numbers go 10 20 30 40 etc. With 10 being the top bar in the stack. The weight where you put the pin in is the total weight you would lift. Same with seated row. Is it possible tompost a pic of what you are seeing?
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I did my first lifting today!! And I really liked it. Workout A took me about 30 minutes to complete.

Question 1: Do you all warm up before you lift? I did about 6 minutes on an elliptical. Good/bad?

Question 2: I was unsure about the weights I should be using. I am reasonably strong, but no superwoman, that's for sure. To give you an idea, my best (did these a few months ago) for push-ups is about 40 (have done over 50, but not lately), modified sit-ups is 95 in under 2 minutes, mile run in about 6:40 (6:50 on average). I am an 18-year-old girl, 5'6" and weigh a little over 150.
    I used a 20 lb dumbbell for squats, did 45 lb seated rows, and 10 lbs in each hand for step-ups.
    I only felt 'pushed' on the seated rows with that weight. These weights were suggested to me by the trainer at my gym, I think I should up the weights for squats and step-ups by a fair amount.

I want to make sure my technique is good, especially for squats and step-ups, because I had knee problems a few years ago from uneven muscles. I tend to let my knee bend in (step-ups) so I am watching int he mirror for that.

Any suggestions for weights to use for Workout B?
    Deadlifts, shoulder presses, lat pull down, and lunges.

Also, I saw somebody write a weight down next to the pron jackknife, am I missing something there? Are we supposed to use weigths and, if so, how?
  • kikicooks
    Options
    I did my first lifting today!! And I really liked it. Workout A took me about 30 minutes to complete.

Question 1: Do you all warm up before you lift? I did about 6 minutes on an elliptical. Good/bad?

Question 2: I was unsure about the weights I should be using. I am reasonably strong, but no superwoman, that's for sure. To give you an idea, my best (did these a few months ago) for push-ups is about 40 (have done over 50, but not lately), modified sit-ups is 95 in under 2 minutes, mile run in about 6:40 (6:50 on average). I am an 18-year-old girl, 5'6" and weigh a little over 150.
    I used a 20 lb dumbbell for squats, did 45 lb seated rows, and 10 lbs in each hand for step-ups.
    I only felt 'pushed' on the seated rows with that weight. These weights were suggested to me by the trainer at my gym, I think I should up the weights for squats and step-ups by a fair amount.

I want to make sure my technique is good, especially for squats and step-ups, because I had knee problems a few years ago from uneven muscles. I tend to let my knee bend in (step-ups) so I am watching int he mirror for that.

Any suggestions for weights to use for Workout B?
    Deadlifts, shoulder presses, lat pull down, and lunges.

Also, I saw somebody write a weight down next to the pron jackknife, am I missing something there? Are we supposed to use weigths and, if so, how?
    Yes, I warm up. Usually 5-10 min on the treadmill then some moves to warm up my upper body. I also do body weight squats/deadlifts before moving onto the weighted ones.
    It's hard to say what weights you should be using, everyone is different so only you will know that. If it was pretty easy with what you did last time then you should try heavier next time.
    I'm not sure how you would use weights on the jackknife, seems dangerous lol. Unless it's a weighted belt or something.
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Uggggg. I pulled a groin muscle doing squats today with just the barbell. It was A4, but this is only the second time I tried them to parallel. I'd been doing them way too shallow before. I did my first set with body weight, and felt I was ready to try the empty barbell. I made it to three...and yeeeoooowwwch!

I'm going to meet with a personal trainer at a huge athlete training facility that I recently foind out was nearby. I'm taking my book with me, and they will do an assessment and give me alternative exercises to do based on any past injuries (I see a chiro regularly, so I think there are some exercises I should stay away from). I feel silly that I'll have a fresh injury to start with! I just want to make sure I'm doing enough. A exercises make me sore, but B exercises seem to have no impact.

Oh, and I tried "real" step-ups today according to the forums on JPFitness... Whew!! Could only do them with body weight.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Uggggg. I pulled a groin muscle doing squats today with just the barbell. It was A4, but this is only the second time I tried them to parallel. I'd been doing them way too shallow before. I did my first set with body weight, and felt I was ready to try the empty barbell. I made it to three...and yeeeoooowwwch!

I'm going to meet with a personal trainer at a huge athlete training facility that I recently foind out was nearby. I'm taking my book with me, and they will do an assessment and give me alternative exercises to do based on any past injuries (I see a chiro regularly, so I think there are some exercises I should stay away from). I feel silly that I'll have a fresh injury to start with! I just want to make sure I'm doing enough. A exercises make me sore, but B exercises seem to have no impact.

Oh, and I tried "real" step-ups today according to the forums on JPFitness... Whew!! Could only do them with body weight.

I am pretty new to all this, but once you recover, maybe you could use dumbbell that weighs less for your squats? You would have more than body weight, but not a whole 45 lbs. That's a big jump.
  • kikicooks
    Options

The 1st time I tried these I didn't realize I was doing them wrong. I just stepped up and down and thought, hey this isn't too bad. Yes adding weights and risers did make it more challenging, but when I looked at the description of the exercise the next time I was starting NROL4W again, I realized I was doing it wrong. The correct way really works the muscles more!
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I started stage 1 last week and been meaning to post my starting stats for each exercises. I don't have much weight to lose, so really my goal is to get stronger and go down on BF%.

Workout A
    Squats 2x15x75
    Push-up 2x15x45 incline
    Seated row 2x15x70
    Step-up 2x15x30
    Prone Jackknife 2x10

Workout B
    Deadlift 2x15x75
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 2x15x30
    Pullover 2x15x10
    Lunge 2x15x30
    Long Arm Swiss Ball Crunch 2x10x8lb ball

Personal Stats:

Starting Weight - 143.3 (GW is 135)
    SBF % - 26.2 (for stage 1 I would be happy with BF at 25%)
  • Nefetete
    Options

Does your gym have barbells that are lower in weights? Mien has 20lbs to 50. I agree, the jump from BW to Olympic barbell (45#) is to much all at once.
    Also, I find that stretching and then doing 2 sets of warm ups for the squats helps. Gets the body reacquainted with the form all over lol.

BTW what's the 'real' step ups. Can you post a link for it. Just wondering if I am doing it right.
  • kikicooks
    Options
    oops was trying to edit other post
  • kikicooks
    Options

BTW what's the 'real' step ups. Can you post a link for it. Just wondering if I am doing it right.

It's explained in the book. Basically it's stepping up with all your weight focused on the leg that has your foot on the platform/step, the other leg is just there for the ride, not for any help so it shouldn't be helping you push off and it does not step up on the platform/step. Step down and repeat, all on 1 leg 1st then switch to the other side. Hope that made sense.
  • kikicooks
    Options

It's explained in the book. Basically it's stepping up with all your weight focused on the leg that has your foot on the platform/step, the other leg is just there for the ride, not for any help so it shouldn't be helping you push off and it does not step up on the platform/step. Step down and repeat, all on 1 leg 1st then switch to the other side. Hope that made sense.
    Not sure why this looks like I quoted a quote. I seem to be having issues today lol.
  • cphaneuf16
    cphaneuf16 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Here's the thread I mentioned: http://www.jpfitness.com/showthread.php?t=53707

And the direct link to the step-up description and video: http://nicktumminello.com/2013/01/step-ups-a-better-way-that-eliminates-cheating/

As for the squats, I've been using the empty barbell all along, but only recently realized that I wasn't going low enough. I had a mental block -- I didn't want to go back to body weight, ya know? But until I get my form right, I know that's what I need to do. Same with the step-ups. I was up to 30lbs (total) with those.
  • mviegas1
    mviegas1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

And the direct link to the step-up description and video: http://nicktumminello.com/2013/01/step-ups-a-better-way-that-eliminates-cheating/

As for the squats, I've been using the empty barbell all along, but only recently realized that I wasn't going low enough. I had a mental block -- I didn't want to go back to body weight, ya know? But until I get my form right, I know that's what I need to do. Same with the step-ups. I was up to 30lbs (total) with those.

Thanks for this...I've been doing them wrong too! I tried this way during today's workout and they were much harder.
  • Nefetete
    Options

Thanks for the links, my non working leg doesn't rest on the step (as per the book) but I don't really push my hip fwd on the starting position. 1st time I've seen it done that way.
  • marinesweetheart
    marinesweetheart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    I am getting ready to start this program so I'm getting all of my ducks in a row and I'm having a total brain fart.

I'm looking at the chart and it goes up to "work out 4" yet I see on page 140 and 141 that the the workouts go up to workout s 5, 6 and workouts 7, 8.

Are workouts 5 - 8 there for those who want to do the extra weeks or do we have to do them? If we have to do them, where should I log them?

Any help or insight you can offer on this subject is greatly appreciated. Thank you.