First Date Rules

Options

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I'd totally go get a pedicure on a first date if asked.

You have to get red polish though, kay? Or maybe pink polish with some painted on decorative flowers on the big toe?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I'd totally go get a pedicure on a first date if asked.

You have to get red polish though, kay? Or maybe pink polish with some painted on decorative flowers on the big toe?

Fine by me. If doing that means my.date has a fun time, so be it. My sexuality isn't.threatened by pretty toes. :P
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I was raising my eyebrow at the implications of a gender divide between hobbies that are considered acceptable or unacceptable based on genatalia.

They're not unacceptable/acceptable. I just think that if a man asks a woman to do something traditionally masculine on a date, he may get a "hell no" back, the same way if I asked my boyfriend to come and get a pedicure with me he would look like I was crazy.

You shouldn't ask your date to do a particular strongly associated with one gender type of activity until you know what they like, you should pick something neutral, like just grabbing a drink instead of watching wrestling. There are soooo many other activities to do that both people will like, not just one half of the couple. That is what I was more getting at, rather than assigning activities to genders.

I hate most sports (with the exception of hockey and I'll go to a baseball game if I get free tickets), I absolutely hate video games and think they're a massive waste of time and energy and boobs, well...

But until a guy knows me, he should play it safe on dates.

Unless he's looking for a girl that's into those same things I guess :) There are plenty of those around. But I see where you're coming from. I just don't think he's wrong inviting a girl to an event like that, I see it as a different tactic.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    My sexuality isn't.threatened by pretty toes.

It's not even six AM and I have found my quote for the day.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Ummmm....I like baseball, football, hockey and basketball. My ideal first date is a sporting event. So.... yeah.

If I was really into a guy and he wanted to watch wrestling or MMA, I'd do it because it's time together. In this situation, I'd probably go along with the date and see if it got better. You're already there after all. If it doesn't go well, you're in a bar with a bunch of men....never a bad thing.
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    OK -- I haven't read all 7 pages...but just wanted to chime in.

When I was in my 20s I had "rules". Now that I'm in my 40's -- no rules apply!

I've kissed on the first date. I've had sex on the first date. I've paid. I've let him pay. I do what Kits-the-wise said.. I go with the flow. Did the sex-guy work out? Yeah, for a bit.... it didn't ruin anything. The chemistry was insane and I'd do it again.

Don't be afraid to LIVE people!!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • whierd
    Options
    My sexuality isn't.threatened by pretty toes.

It's not even six AM and I have found my quote for the day.

:drinker:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Ummmm....I like baseball, football, hockey and basketball. My ideal first date is a sporting event. So.... yeah.

If I was really into a guy and he wanted to watch wrestling or MMA, I'd do it because it's time together. In this situation, I'd probably go along with the date and see if it got better. You're already there after all. If it doesn't go well, you're in a bar with a bunch of men....never a bad thing.

The best first date I have been on was at a baseball game but than I love sports (especially baseball) I don't even have to like the teams playing and I like doing a lot of traditionally masculine activities more than the traditionally femanine activites. So to me I would prefer the guy invites me to something he enjoys than for him to pick something he doesn't like just to impress me.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

There are many gender neutral activities that people can do together.

:huh:

Like...
    - bars and restaurants
    - museums
    - parks/lakes/beaches
    - recreational activities (playing a round of pick up basketball, etc.)
    - movies
    - taking a class together

I would be massively annoyed if all a guy wanted to do was take me out to watch a basketball game on a big screen at BWW, same way most men would be annoyed if their girlfriend wanted to take them to get makeovers.

Ok never compare basketball and makeovers again please hun...... BTW going to watch a basketball game with some beer and chicken wings is an awesome date..... Especially cause our team down here rocks (go Heat!!!)

And gender nuetral is a strange term to use for dating
  • jenbit
    Options

I also love the above mentioned also love MMA .. Many a date of mine have been at a sports bar playing pool... If a guy wanted to watch a chick flick with me I might throw up (I hate chick flicks) ..
    Things are not gender specific and thoose of us who are more open to doing different things on a date get more dates.. I'm just saying...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    LOL wow
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Don't forget her name.
  • whierd
    Options
    Don't forget her name.

Best advice so far.
  • christine24t
    Options

There are many gender neutral activities that people can do together.

:huh:

Like...
    - bars and restaurants
    - museums
    - parks/lakes/beaches
    - recreational activities (playing a round of pick up basketball, etc.)
    - movies
    - taking a class together

I would be massively annoyed if all a guy wanted to do was take me out to watch a basketball game on a big screen at BWW, same way most men would be annoyed if their girlfriend wanted to take them to get makeovers.

Ok never compare basketball and makeovers again please hun...... BTW going to watch a basketball game with some beer and chicken wings is an awesome date..... Especially cause our team down here rocks (go Heat!!!)

And gender nuetral is a strange term to use for dating

Okay but playing Devils advocate...what if the idea of watching basketball was considered torture to you? Is there really anything wrong with saying "you know I really don't like basketball (or whatever). Is there anyway we could meet up before or after the game or meet up a different day?"

If you really don't like to do a certain activity you shouldn't do it! If you've never done it by all means give it a chance!

Maybe y'all remember last year I was asked to go to a guys house and watch a movie, which made me uncomfortable. I ended up telling him " would you care if we were to go and play some racquetball at the gym instead?" He agreed and it was really fun!!

And Jen, okay maybe bad comparison. Maybe something better is like basketball versus watching say yes to the dress.
  • christine24t
    Options

I also love the above mentioned also love MMA .. Many a date of mine have been at a sports bar playing pool... If a guy wanted to watch a chick flick with me I might throw up (I hate chick flicks) ..
    Things are not gender specific and thoose of us who are more open to doing different things on a date get more dates.. I'm just saying...

I'm not sure how being open to more date ideas gets you more dates...could you be more specific? Do you mean that being more open in general means you meet more people and get more dates?
  • yoovie
    Options
    Okay but playing Devils advocate...what if the idea of watching basketball was considered torture to you? Is there really anything wrong with saying "you know I really don't like basketball (or whatever). Is there anyway we could meet up before or after the game or meet up a different day?"

that's fine but it isn't cause of your gender, it's cause of preference.
    I'm not sure how being open to more date ideas gets you more dates...could you be more specific? Do you mean that being more open in general means you meet more people and get more dates?

if you are open to doing outdoor sports and activities, group activities, classes, daytime activities, out of town events, visiting or attending exhibits and shows, going to last minute concerts, trying new things youve never done before, getting uncomfortable and dirty and sweaty and any kinds of other non-traditional dates - you will end up going on more dates that someone who only prefers to go on dates on Friday night to dinner and a movie, or in a little black dress, or only meet at a bar or restaurant.

You have less dates because you are willing to do less things on dates.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options

if you are open to doing outdoor sports and activities, group activities, classes, daytime activities, out of town events, visiting or attending exhibits and shows, going to last minute concerts, trying new things youve never done before, getting uncomfortable and dirty and sweaty and any kinds of other non-traditional dates - you will end up going on more dates that someone who only prefers to go on dates on Friday night to dinner and a movie, or in a little black dress, or only meet at a bar or restaurant.

^^^^ All of the above.
  • christine24t
    Options

I'm open to most of that and I don't get dates. I wouldn't care if a date was at 11 am on a Thursday or Friday night at 9 or where it was. At least for me I don't care to watch sports or go to a guys house but I am willing to do everything else you described. I buy the argument that if you do those things in everyday life you'll meet more people but I don't think being open in that way gets you more dates.
  • jenbit
    Options

I'm open to most of that and I don't get dates. I wouldn't care if a date was at 11 am on a Thursday or Friday night at 9 or where it was. At least for me I don't care to watch sports or go to a guys house but I am willing to do everything else you described. I buy the argument that if you do those things in everyday life you'll meet more people but I don't think being open in that way gets you more dates.

Yes hun and don't think I'm picking on you, but you have a very fixed idea of what is acceptable and what isnt ..... If you were a little more open and relaxed I think your dating life would be more... More fun, more dates, more guys to choose from...

I know your young and like I said I'm not picking on you . I really wanna help you.

Let me put it this way. I got called for a first date last night..a last minute date. We went to a sports bar. I had more then 3 drinks. I payed for my own drinks. and we made out several times. I broke about half the "rules" alot of girls on here follow. I had a blast. I dont regret it and we already have plans for a second date lol....
    By limiting yourself with rules and "I won't go there or watch that" you limit experience and potential suitors
  • yoovie
    Options
    I think that the point is that if you are doing those things in your regular life without an underlying dating agenda, then you'll be getting more dates because you're exposed to more people AND MORE KINDS OF PEOPLE.

Yes I think that if you are opposed to sports and opposed to going to a man's house it will definitely limit the amount of dates you'll accept and therefore have.

Especially if you want to date guys, and most guys love sports and want to show us where they live because that's their kingdom and it's where they are most comfortable.

That's pretty much like a guy saying, look Im totally open to dating, but I just do not prefer to go on dates where the girl wants to look pretty. - that'll sverely limit the dates he goes on.