I've been stalling again lately.

today:

Squat 255 pounds 5/5/5.
    Press 120 pounds 4 reps.
    Deadlift 265 pounds 4 reps.

Last Friday:

Squat 255 pounds 5/5/4
    Bench 180 pounds 5/5/4

Those are pretty good numbers to start thinking about looking at a jump to an intermediate program.
    I still can't run the full 60 seconds, so I'll just repeat week 1 until I can. There was nothing in me that wanted to get out there today but I did it anyway.

Try slowing down. Like really. go slow. Slooow. Sloooooooowwww.

Also you might try doing this at home to train yourself to land lightly.
    http://hundredup.com/learn-georges-100-up-running-exercise/

did I mention - slow? SLOOW? SLOWWOOOOWWWWW? Real slow. So slow you could probably powerwalk at that speed.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

did I mention - slow? SLOOW? SLOWWOOOOWWWWW? Real slow. So slow you could probably powerwalk at that speed.

Ha, when I started "running" some walkers would pass me. I'm still pretty slow. Hell, I don't run much. I guess if my friend was serious about the sprint tri, I'm going to have to get my *kitten* in gear...
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    re your squats and your shoulders, you can try different things and see what works best. I had a more narrow grip at first, and the bar sat consequently sat higher on my shoulder blades. At some point I widened my grip, the bar sat lower, and my form was better as a result, so I stayed with that. It's OK to experiment a little bit, especially when the weights are low.

My grip is pretty narrow! I read somewhere (Rippetoe?) that it was "supposed" to be. I think I'll try an inch wider next time to see if I can lean back more.

I did workout A yesterday. It was TOUGH. Maybe because I jogged then worked a 5 hour shift that turned into 7 hours Sunday evening. It was so busy all I could stop to do was slam down a bottle of gatorade (which I don't even usually drink). I did eat when I got home, and again in the morning before I worked out, but my legs and back were stiff and tired.

Squats - 90. Going to repeat next time to play with wider grip and try to lean back more!
    Bench - 65. I had a moment in the gym, couldn't remember if I recorded the 4th set in my app...so I may have done an extra set. I figured it was better to try one more than to do too few.
    Rows - 75. My bane! Going to repeat these also, as I felt my back was not parallel with the floor on a lot of the reps.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options

today:

Squat 255 pounds 5/5/5.
    Press 120 pounds 4 reps.

Last Friday:

Squat 255 pounds 5/5/4
    Bench 180 pounds 5/5/4

Those are pretty good numbers to start thinking about looking at a jump to an intermediate program.

Some of the folks at starting strength forums think these are low numbers and that I should do the advanced novice program and consume more calories. The program looks something like this:

Day 1:
    Squat 3x5
    Bench/Press 3x5 (alternate the bench and press)
    Deadlift 1x5

Day 2:
    Squat 85% of last workset, 5x3
    Press/Bench 3x5
    Chin-ups 3 sets AMRAP

Day 3:
    Squat 3x5
    Press/Bench 3x5
    Power clean 5x3
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    re your squats and your shoulders, you can try different things and see what works best. I had a more narrow grip at first, and the bar sat consequently sat higher on my shoulder blades. At some point I widened my grip, the bar sat lower, and my form was better as a result, so I stayed with that. It's OK to experiment a little bit, especially when the weights are low.

My grip is pretty narrow! I read somewhere (Rippetoe?) that it was "supposed" to be. I think I'll try an inch wider next time to see if I can lean back more.

I am only on week 3, but my grip is super wide, I know wider than it should be. My goal is to try more and more narrower. I usually up my weight by 2# a session. my scoliosis seems to make my muscles on that side of my back get horribly twisted feeling. I am noticing my muscles on my left are already getting better. I am a fan of "do what you need now to get where you need to be." (well, nothing too overly dangerous/crazy, obviously)- it may be bad concept, though. so don't quote me in medical journals.
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am only on week 3, but my grip is super wide, I know wider than it should be. My goal is to try more and more narrower. I usually up my weight by 2# a session. my scoliosis seems to make my muscles on that side of my back get horribly twisted feeling. I am noticing my muscles on my left are already getting better. I am a fan of "do what you need now to get where you need to be." (well, nothing too overly dangerous/crazy, obviously)- it may be bad concept, though. so don't quote me in medical journals.

BRB, calling Mayo Clinic. :devil:

In seriousness, my shoulders do seem to be less sore than last week, but I think going a little wider for now and building up the flexibility is good advice. Being stable, getting the bar lower on the shoulders, and not leaning forward, is probably better for now than keeping the hands super close at the expense of that!

Now I'm going to watch all sorts of form videos in preparation for tomorrow!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options

BRB, calling Mayo Clinic. :devil:

In seriousness, my shoulders do seem to be less sore than last week, but I think going a little wider for now and building up the flexibility is good advice. Being stable, getting the bar lower on the shoulders, and not leaning forward, is probably better for now than keeping the hands super close at the expense of that!

Now I'm going to watch all sorts of form videos in preparation for tomorrow!

I have a wide grip too. It makes it easier to pull my elbows back and create the "shelf" to rest the bar on.

And I'm back for Round 2!
    Doing another deloaded week this week (around 50% of highest on squats and arbitrary weights on the other lifts) since I didn't get to the gym at all last week and I'm going to do 75% of highest next week and work my way up from there. I'm also doing 3x5 this time since the weights are going to be heavy and I don't want to be at the gym all day. I'm excited to be moving again.

Welcome to all the new ladies!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Amy - You keep telling those trainers how it is!!!!

Dani - Congrats on the 3 PR's!!!

Welcome back Chubby_Checkers!

Well another week of pushing harder at the gym started yesterday. I decided to mix up the cardio and got on the rower instead of the treadmill. I did 1k meters, some core, another 1k meters and then used the rest of the time for core. Today my upper back is sore and I can't laugh without my abs feeling sore. So....good times :happy: :laugh:

Workout B today and for the first time in a few weeks, it really felt solid.

Squats - 1x5 @ 95, 105, 115, 125, 135 - I even went ahead and swapped out the 25, 10, and 5 lb plates just to put the 45s on for one last set, because you know it matters.

OHP - 5x5 @ 65 deloaded from 80 since I had been having trouble getting past a few sets. I'm working with a new hand placement that has me closer to my shoulders.

DL - 1x5 @ 135, 175, and 190!!!! I think one of the guys nearby did an audible "Hmmm" as in "hmmm, not bad" but I wasn't sure because I had my headphones in. I don't think any of the guys in the room (4 total) were actually lifting when I was pulling. The first pull was a little hard, but then I basically just gripped and ripped with my total thought on form and control.

After all that excitement I still finished off with the 18 lb body bar for the barbell complex. (3x8 Upright row, Overhead Squat, Good Mornings, Lunges, Push Press, Cleans, Front Squat)

Tomorrow I will help my trainer out by participating in a GRIT class (Les Mill's HIIT class) since she is taping for her certification to instruct. Oh, and I have been warned that it is the strength version.....clean and presses, mid-leg DL and a whole bunch of squats. I figure I will go light on the weight and get more of an endurance and cardio workout from it.

I so see an ice cream refeed in my near future. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You guys are all amazing! Lifting heavy, losing fat and gaining muscle!! And more people making lifting a family affair! I love it!

I did a workout yesterday. It was very hard. I woke up today with a headache and achy all over. I think I now have my husband's version of the flu.

Squats: 60lb
    OHP:60
    DL: 125

My son worked out today and blew me away!!

Squats: 10lb he was really tired, probably from aikido last night. and then he did
    OHP: 45lb!! I said, "these are really hard so you may want to start out with dumbbells but you are a guy and have more upper body strength than I have so you might be able to start out with the bar." He said he'd try. He did 5x5 and told me it was easy! : )
    Deadlifts: 95lbs!!!! 1x5. I suggested he try it with 95 because then we wouldn't have to stack weights. He did 5x5 with a little rest after the third and fourth rep. I'm hoping he will get addicted!
  • chunkmunk
    chunkmunk Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    [I hope you got your rest day in!!

I still can't run the full 60 seconds, so I'll just repeat week 1 until I can. There was nothing in me that wanted to get out there today but I did it anyway.

:

Well, I kinda sorta rested. No official workout, but I still had to mow the lawn and walk the dog. I slept really well last night, though, so hopefully c25k week 1 day 3 goes well tonight.

And seriously--that's impressive. If there is nothing in you that wants to and you still do it
    BAMF!!!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

I'm actually a pretty fast walker. I just walk at my regular speed in between running intervals instead of actually power walking or whatever they want me to do.

Evidently I need to run slower than I walk. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Gonna try that on Thursday and see what happens. :smile:

I will check more into the 100 up! I do knee-ups when I "run" for the Kinect anyway, because that's the only way to get it to clock me at a speed greater than like 1 mph. I had no idea that it was considered "training." :laugh:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

I'm actually a pretty fast walker. I just walk at my regular speed in between running intervals instead of actually power walking or whatever they want me to do.

Evidently I need to run slower than I walk. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Gonna try that on Thursday and see what happens. :smile:

I will check more into the 100 up! I do knee-ups when I "run" for the Kinect anyway, because that's the only way to get it to clock me at a speed greater than like 1 mph. I had no idea that it was considered "training." :laugh:

I "can" walk at 4.4mph. I probably can't sustain it as long as I can run that fast, but I can do it. I can also run that fast, and have. Typically an easy walk for me is about 3.5, a fast walk is closer to 4, and an easy run is 4.5, with a faster run at 4.8 or so (i mean in order to sustain it - I *can* run for a minute and a half at 6.5 but that's it -- just to give you some sense of how much slower you need to run for distance though. ITs a lot slower. SLOW. )
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I "can" walk at 4.4mph. I probably can't sustain it as long as I can run that fast, but I can do it. I can also run that fast, and have. Typically an easy walk for me is about 3.5, a fast walk is closer to 4, and an easy run is 4.5, with a faster run at 4.8 or so (i mean in order to sustain it - I *can* run for a minute and a half at 6.5 but that's it -- just to give you some sense of how much slower you need to run for distance though. ITs a lot slower. SLOW. )

You're right though, now that I think about it. 5K is a long distance run and I need to stop treating it like a jog around the block. It's really about endurance, not speed. Hey thanks for getting my head on straight! :heart: I don't want to risk getting burnout right out of the gate. Better to go sloooow and stick to it.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Loving you BAMFs, Amy telling the pt off, the SLOOOOW running, and fisherlassie apart from your manflu getting more family members involved!

A day for me tomorrow, can't wait! Did 30 day shred workout 2 today and can see I can't drop cardio entirely but tuck give me a barbell any day!
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

today:

Squat 255 pounds 5/5/5.
    Press 120 pounds 4 reps.

Last Friday:

Squat 255 pounds 5/5/4
    Bench 180 pounds 5/5/4

Some of the folks at starting strength forums think these are low numbers and that I should do the advanced novice program and consume more calories. The program looks something like this:

Day 1:
    Squat 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Day 2:
    Press/Bench 3x5
    Chin-ups 3 sets AMRAP

Day 3:
    Squat 3x5
    Press/Bench 3x5
    Power clean 5x3

That worked well for me as a segue between linear progression and the Texas Method. The Texas Method then worked for me for a good six months before I finally moved on to a split. It was a lot of work and I ate a lot. :-)

However, when you squat on your light day, you usually would do 3x3 or 2 sets of five. Five sets of three is a lot of volume for a light day.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Sunday: DL 270x1x5. I have not pulled heavy singles since January, just before I hurt my back. I forgot how much you have to grit through it! The first two sucked but the last three were pretty good.

Today I did two days' training together, and skipped assistance. I'm visiting my brother in St. Louis and will not be training until next Tuesday.

Squats: 152x5x5. That's about my bodyweight, so I'm happy at how they are coming along.
    Bench: 125x3x2, which was a rep PR. Then 125x2, failed rep 3. Then, 114x3x3 for back-off volume.

Then I tried some chins, which I've been avoiding because of elbow tendonitis. I did 4,5,4 using a neutral grip. I figure if it was the wrong choice I get a whole week to rest it. :-)

This program is very flexible. When I have a real grinder of a work set, or fail, I take about 10% off the bar and put in the remainder of my programmed sets at that weight. It helps me drive my strength up, but gives me the extra volume I need as well.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Amy - You keep telling those trainers how it is!!!!

Dani - Congrats on the 3 PR's!!!

Welcome back Chubby_Checkers!

Well another week of pushing harder at the gym started yesterday. I decided to mix up the cardio and got on the rower instead of the treadmill. I did 1k meters, some core, another 1k meters and then used the rest of the time for core. Today my upper back is sore and I can't laugh without my abs feeling sore. So....good times :happy: :laugh:

Workout B today and for the first time in a few weeks, it really felt solid.

Squats - 1x5 @ 95, 105, 115, 125, 135 - I even went ahead and swapped out the 25, 10, and 5 lb plates just to put the 45s on for one last set, because you know it matters.

OHP - 5x5 @ 65 deloaded from 80 since I had been having trouble getting past a few sets. I'm working with a new hand placement that has me closer to my shoulders.

DL - 1x5 @ 135, 175, and 190!!!! I think one of the guys nearby did an audible "Hmmm" as in "hmmm, not bad" but I wasn't sure because I had my headphones in. I don't think any of the guys in the room (4 total) were actually lifting when I was pulling. The first pull was a little hard, but then I basically just gripped and ripped with my total thought on form and control.

After all that excitement I still finished off with the 18 lb body bar for the barbell complex. (3x8 Upright row, Overhead Squat, Good Mornings, Lunges, Push Press, Cleans, Front Squat)

Tomorrow I will help my trainer out by participating in a GRIT class (Les Mill's HIIT class) since she is taping for her certification to instruct. Oh, and I have been warned that it is the strength version.....clean and presses, mid-leg DL and a whole bunch of squats. I figure I will go light on the weight and get more of an endurance and cardio workout from it.

I so see an ice cream refeed in my near future. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

You absolutely have to swap weights to put on the 45s!!! awesome!
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options

today:

Squat 255 pounds 5/5/5.
    Press 120 pounds 4 reps.

Last Friday:

Squat 255 pounds 5/5/4
    Bench 180 pounds 5/5/4

Day 1:
    Squat 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Day 2:
    Press/Bench 3x5
    Chin-ups 3 sets AMRAP

Day 3:
    Squat 3x5
    Press/Bench 3x5
    Power clean 5x3

That worked well for me as a segue between linear progression and the Texas Method. The Texas Method then worked for me for a good six months before I finally moved on to a split. It was a lot of work and I ate a lot. :-)

However, when you squat on your light day, you usually would do 3x3 or 2 sets of five. Five sets of three is a lot of volume for a light day.

That was supposed to be 3x5 not 5x3
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

today:

Squat 255 pounds 5/5/5.
    Press 120 pounds 4 reps.

Last Friday:

Squat 255 pounds 5/5/4
    Bench 180 pounds 5/5/4

Day 1:
    Squat 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Day 2:
    Press/Bench 3x5
    Chin-ups 3 sets AMRAP

Day 3:
    Squat 3x5
    Press/Bench 3x5
    Power clean 5x3

That was supposed to be 3x5 not 5x3

That also seems reasonable. I mean, short story is, time to do something a little different.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    We have been so slammed here, I've barely had any online time. So, not caught up on reading.

I'm so tired. Need to get some actual good sleep sometime soon. I'm running on my third week of five hours or less daily.

B workout today.

95 on squats, 5x5, still working on form and going down farther is WAY harder for me, but I did it. I think I need to do some warmup sets, since the first two sets are super hard, 3 and 4 feel good and 5 gets really hard by the end.

75 on OHP and I didn't even manage 5x5. I did 2 sets of 5, then could only manage 3 on the third set, 2 on the 4th and none on 5th. I may need some fractional do hickeys because moving up by 5 on that one is crazy hard for me.

175 on deadlifts. Went great, except I'm hampered by my hands. Holding up that much weight is really hard. My arms and body can handle it, but my hands and fingers scream. Need to find a way to be better at that. I lost my grip on the last one, though I was only a few inches from it being all the way down.

And that's today's stream-of-conciousness update.