Stage 2

Options

Replies

• JDubbs339
    JDubbs339 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone I'm starting Stage 2 tomorrow as well!

Not happy to see step-ups are back... I was always confused by the number of reps. Did you do (e.g.) 10 reps PER LEG for each set? Or did you basically do one set per leg? Also: what do you focus more on; increasing the weights in your hand, or the steps/height?

ty :flowerforyou:

10 reps PER LEG for each set if I'm not wrong :D
    I focused more on increasing the weight as I also wanted to work on my grip strength :)

Yeah 10 reps per leg for each set...I too started with the softish bench at my gym. And I feel like my grip strength is what prevents me from using more weight. This is something I need to work on too...but HOW?
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    i have the same issue with grip- anything more than 25 lbs in each hand gets hard. ive used 30 lb dumbbells on a few things towards the end of stage 1- but its hard. sometimes ive used a 35 lb plate in each hand- and it gives the same kind of benefit without hurting my hands, but because they are big, i cant use them for everything.

also- are bulgarian split squats and static lunges almost the same thing? to me, the only difference if that my back leg is on a bench for the BSS instead of a low step during the SL. and im holding a giant plate (45 lb plate) for the BSS instead of DBs in each hand like i do for the SL. right?
  • JDubbs339
    Options
    i have the same issue with grip- anything more than 25 lbs in each hand gets hard. ive used 30 lb dumbbells on a few things towards the end of stage 1- but its hard. sometimes ive used a 35 lb plate in each hand- and it gives the same kind of benefit without hurting my hands, but because they are big, i cant use them for everything.

also- are bulgarian split squats and static lunges almost the same thing? to me, the only difference if that my back leg is on a bench for the BSS instead of a low step during the SL. and im holding a giant plate (45 lb plate) for the BSS instead of DBs in each hand like i do for the SL. right?

Yep pretty much the same thing :)
  • JDubbs339
    Options
    Hey folks!

I did my first workout of Stage 2 this morning.

I struggled with the squat push press thingies for a while, but then I remembered to *KEEP THE 90 DEGREE ANGLE WITH MY ARM AND TORSO* and then the pain I previously experienced in my wrists was eliminated!!! Magic ;)

I also had a hard time with the split lunges with the elevated back leg. I used the aerobics step just like in the book. If I recall correctly, the book says after we lunge forward we are supposed to push back to the starting position....is that correct? ( I don't have the book in front of me at the moment) If so, does anyone have any tips on how to do this without swinging the dumbbells too much and without losing balance???? It was awful! I felt like an idiot doing this move. Or you know what...on second thought...does anyone have an alternative??
  • becca2911
    becca2911 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hey folks!

I struggled with the squat push press thingies for a while, but then I remembered to *KEEP THE 90 DEGREE ANGLE WITH MY ARM AND TORSO* and then the pain I previously experienced in my wrists was eliminated!!! Magic ;)

I also had a hard time with the split lunges with the elevated back leg. I used the aerobics step just like in the book. If I recall correctly, the book says after we lunge forward we are supposed to push back to the starting position....is that correct? ( I don't have the book in front of me at the moment) If so, does anyone have any tips on how to do this without swinging the dumbbells too much and without losing balance???? It was awful! I felt like an idiot doing this move. Or you know what...on second thought...does anyone have an alternative??

No it is a static lunge on workout A
  • JDubbs339
    Options
    Hey folks!

Yeah that's what I meant...any tips for that move?
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

No, not the same thing!

This is a Bulgarian split squat....notice the position of his back foot: http://gregcorso.com/blog/how-to-do-a-bulgarian-split-squat-bss/

This is the static lunge....again, notice the position of the back leg and foot: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=MMtUYs2rIP8&desktop_uri=/watch?v=MMtUYs2rIP8

Different movements for the both of them. :)
  • athenalove46
    athenalove46 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I did B3 today and sucked *kitten*! Man. I ran out of eggs this morning so I had to have oatmeal. I jazzed it up with butter, almond butter, heavy cream, coconut, and egg whites but man, I could totally tell a difference in energy levels. I thought I was gonna puke a couple times and couldn't even do my HIIT after for fear of passing out..l.lesson learned. NEVER run out of eggs again!
  • JDubbs339
    Options

No, not the same thing!

This is a Bulgarian split squat....notice the position of his back foot: http://gregcorso.com/blog/how-to-do-a-bulgarian-split-squat-bss/

This is the static lunge....again, notice the position of the back leg and foot: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=MMtUYs2rIP8&desktop_uri=/watch?v=MMtUYs2rIP8

Thanks for posting this! Looks like the only difference is the placement of the rear foot and the use of a aerobic step vs. bench.

ANNNDD now I see that I my efforts to push the extended leg back to the step was in error...and really difficult, might I add. GREAT! Now I can defintiely use more weight with this!!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this! Looks like the only difference is the placement of the rear foot and the use of a aerobic step vs. bench.

you are right about the differences. the next move in the progression is the single leg squat. for me, the impact is that the balance is harder and the working leg is more isolated in the BSS.

also, you will need to use dumbbells or a bar once you progress past 45 pounds on the BSS.
  • jamiek917
    Options

you are right about the differences. the next move in the progression is the single leg squat. for me, the impact is that the balance is harder and the working leg is more isolated in the BSS.

also, you will need to use dumbbells or a bar once you progress past 45 pounds on the BSS.

i can throw more weight on my back if i use a bar for the BSS instead of holding a plate (im holding a 45, which is big and awkward!) but i never know how much i should deviate from the "rules"
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options

i can throw more weight on my back if i use a bar for the BSS instead of holding a plate (im holding a 45, which is big and awkward!) but i never know how much i should deviate from the "rules"

surely the authors did not intend getting to 45 pounds and then stopping...
  • evedroid
    evedroid Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    DONE!
    phew! this stage has challenged my balance on some serious levels! that, and my grip.
    will be starting stage3 on monday but i might pop back here next weekend with some measurements, i only weigh-in/measure once a month, on the 1st.
  • kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    hey guys! for the interval training... do you do all 15 or so minutes at the end, or are you supposed to break it up in between the other sets? ty :)
  • jamiek917
    Options
    ^^ all at the end! and its a damn hard workout if u gave your all during the lifting! whew!

finished Stage 2 as of yesterday! i loved it- looking forward to starting stage 3 later this week
  • ethieman
    ethieman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Only two more workouts of stage 2 left, so I'll be moving on to Stage 3 next week! Kind of sad because I have enjoyed Stage 2 :( I have really started to notice some changes in my arms and legs. The most noticeable change has been strength, I was at the pool this weekend and was able to toss my friend's 7 yr old boy and 8 year old girl around the pool like they were nothing! Didn't realize lifting would have the added benefit of making me strong enough to become a jungle gym!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hey folks!

Yeah that's what I meant...any tips for that move?

You don't push back to the step with your lead foot. Both feet stay where they are the entire time and you just move up and down (basically)
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I did NR's last year and ALWAYS struggled with planking. GAH do I hate planking. My internal monologue is ridiculous - "I wonder how much longer, probably like 20 seconds. 40 SECONDS! OMG I can't do it. Okay, you're under 30 now...etc, etc." It's terrible.

Anyways, I did the full 60 seconds BOTH sets. HUZZAH!
  • JDubbs339
    Options
    I did my 3rd Workout A workout this morning...those 30lb dumbbells are not getting any easier to hold. When I do the step ups on the bench I keep having to stop in between the 10 with my right leg before I do the other 10 with my left leg...so annoying!

I uped my weight for the squat push press from 55 on the 2nd workout A i did to 60lbs (including bar weight of 45lbs)...i feel so WEAK i would love to do more...am I the only one having to use such a light weight for these squats???

I know Workout A doesn't have intervals in it, but I did seated bike for intervals after lifting and boy my quads were ON FIYAH!...and my quads are the things I'm least pleased with right now. So...I will definitely do more bike intervals in the future.

I haven't been losing weight as much as I would like, or drinking enough water...so my goals are to hit 64oz of water each day and do 5 days of cardio in one week.
  • JDubbs339
    Options
    I did NR's last year and ALWAYS struggled with planking. GAH do I hate planking. My internal monologue is ridiculous - "I wonder how much longer, probably like 20 seconds. 40 SECONDS! OMG I can't do it. Okay, you're under 30 now...etc, etc." It's terrible.

Anyways, I did the full 60 seconds BOTH sets. HUZZAH!

hahaha they're pretty tough...i find myself making little girly screech noises as I approach the 60 secs. lol