Replies

• Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Day 1 complete! :)
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Day 3--how's everyone doing so far? This is tough!

I was starting to feel a little crazy last night -- I had a craving for Diet Coke, even though it's been well over a year since I last drank soda! I baked a batch of paleo muffins (recipe here: http://paleomg.com/apple-cinnamon-muffins/) to satisfy my sweet tooth. They helped with the cravings but I am definitely experiencing some physical symptoms as well--the Whole30 folks call this part the Hangover!
  • nikig7
    nikig7 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 3...started on Sunday...so far so good, although I have to admit that I may be eating too much meat, starchy veggies (sweet potato, cassava etc) and fruit (had 2 ripe mangoes today :embarassed: )....given that I have a lot of weight to lose, I would need to cut down a bit, but I know I will tweak as I go along so not fretting too much...one day at a time!
  • mom2tek
    mom2tek Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do this!
    I was Paleo for about 7 months a year ago and lost 24 lbs. I felt great! Loved it! Then somehow hit a brick wall physically and mentally. I was depressed and physically felt terrible. I know my thyroid had alot to do with it. I 'm still in the process of getting that taken care of but I've gained back 17 lbs. I want to loose this again. My motivation has not been the same and it's been much more difficult to loose any weight now.
    I 'm trying to go back to the Paleo lifestyle but it's been hard and I have definitely not been as strict as I was a year ago. I'm also trying to get my husband into this and that has been hard. Difficult to get him to change and so also looking for great recipes that a normally meat and potatoes kind of guy would like. Our lives with 2 boys into sports leaves us with minimal time to eat much less cook a healthy meal. We find ourselves running to Subway a lot (I get the salads) and eating on the fly. I know that's bad to. Any ideas and tips from others would be greatly appreciated. When I do have time to cook it's alot easier to eat right but that's rare.
  • mom2tek
    mom2tek Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My fav portable meals are salads, and slices of avocado wrapped with paleo ok lunchmeat (roast beef is my fav).

My fav *treat* is a banana cut in half length wise with 1 tbspn almon butter spread on it and 1/2 tbspn raw honey drizzled on it (sandwhich style for me, but open face is good too!).

Love the banana and almond butter I have done that too. Just never tried with the honey. Will have to try this. What lunch meats would be considered Paleo??
  • jodester13
    jodester13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just found this challenge - I'm in. I've been paleo since last July, and up for a little re-adjustment! I've been on track for the last 4 days - so I'll just continue. I like the allowance of a moderate amount of red wine - way more realistic for me! :)
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Options
    Hope y'all are doing well! Going good here. No cheats, but I have definitely been partaking in the allowance of red wine.
  • jakenfrankie
    jakenfrankie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the snack tips everyone! I sadly must admit that I haven't yet fully started the challenge :-( I had my wedding cake tasting yesterday, a social event on Monday, a work event on Friday, and another social event on Saturday. I felt like it would be better for my motivation to start on a week with not so many food-related obligations. So, I'm starting next Monday June 10!
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Options
    Everyone still hanging in there??

Tonight will be a test of my willpower for sure. I'm going out to dinner for a friend's birthday. I've been browsing the menu, even though I've been there tons of times. I think maybe if I go into the situation knowing exactly what I'm going to eat I'll be successful.

Take a look and help me pick!
    http://burritolounge.com/menu/

What I'm seeing for possibilities are: Spicy Pumpkin Seeds (appetizer), spinach salad (w/o corn), gazpacho (chilled soup), roasted sweet potato (side dish), fajita (without tortilla, rice or beans), any of the platters (except tempeh) without the rice and beans.

Now I just have to be strong and stay away from chips and margaritas. I can do this!
  • whatjesseats
    Options
    Everyone still hanging in there??

Tonight will be a test of my willpower for sure. I'm going out to dinner for a friend's birthday. I've been browsing the menu, even though I've been there tons of times. I think maybe if I go into the situation knowing exactly what I'm going to eat I'll be successful.

Take a look and help me pick!
    http://burritolounge.com/menu/

What I'm seeing for possibilities are: Spicy Pumpkin Seeds (appetizer), spinach salad (w/o corn), gazpacho (chilled soup), roasted sweet potato (side dish), fajita (without tortilla, rice or beans), any of the platters (except tempeh) without the rice and beans.

Now I just have to be strong and stay away from chips and margaritas. I can do this!

Grilled Fish Platter sounds good to me! Depending on how strict you're wanting to stay, I'd ask about the oils they use in their apps, dips, and salad dressings. In my experience, vegetable oil is very common for all of these things.

I'm running a 5k tonight sponsored by a local craft brewery. My race bib gets me 2 free beers after the race, but I have decided NOT to drink them. I will give my beers to one of my friends and shed a tear. I may have to cheat a bit on my dinner though since our options will be limited to a couple food trucks at the brewery.
  • nemrut
    nemrut Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I just found this, so am starting a bit late, though I have been on strict Paleo for the last three days. I've been sort-of-Paleo for quite a while, but I am now not able to exercise due to a hip injury, so I decided I need to get serious before I start putting on weight again. These first few days I have been feeling pretty awful even though I am eating plenty of good food, but I think it must be the "carb flu" I keep hearing about. My big change has been cutting out my glass of wine every night - we'll see how that goes...

Happy eating everyone!
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Options
    Dinner ended up being a near bust last night. I ordered the shrimp plater with no rice and beans, only sweet potatoes and grilled veggies. My plate came and atleast 3/4 of it was covered in rice and beans :/ ... I had about 6 shrimp and they had a big dollop of sour cream right on top of them. I scraped off everything as best as possible, ate my shrimp and sweet potatoes and left the restaurant $68 poorer (hubby too) and was still hungry. Oh yeah, and the meal took 3 HOURS!
  • Sprinkelss
    Sprinkelss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow! I would have asked them to fix it and/or receive a discount. At least you kept your willpower and scraped it off!! :D
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Options
    Wow! I would have asked them to fix it and/or receive a discount. At least you kept your willpower and scraped it off!! :D

I was too afraid it would take another hour! :P
  • meeesh87
    meeesh87 Posts: 5
    Options
    i just found this challenge ,, although im on paleo since 7/may hope its ok to join this challenge
  • Paleo_wolf
    Paleo_wolf Posts: 28
    Options
    Feel free to add me :)
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Options
    How's everyone doing? ... I'm going pretty strong. I did have one major cheat a few nights ago, my 6oz of red wine turned in to the whole bottle. Whoops! But my food has been on point. Went out to dinner at Bonefish Grill a couple nights ago and stayed strong and felt so proud. :)
  • whatjesseats
    Options
    Last weekend was tough as we had an out-of-town guest and ended up dining out quite a bit due to all the running around we were doing. I indulged in sweet potato fries (possibly paleo but likely dipped in corn starch and fried in peanut oil) but otherwise think I did quite well despite the poor planning.

I made zucchini and yellow squash "noodles" for the first time this week and really enjoyed them.

I also cooked my first grass-fed chuck roast and it was amazing. We won't always have room in the budget for grass-fed but when we do I will definitely make use of it!
  • nemrut
    nemrut Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I made it through the first week of Whole 30 without a slip, consciously or unconsciously, so I know I can do this! I was already mostly paleo, but I was struggling with a bad snack habit with crackers triggering semi-binges, and of course the glass of wine and square of dark chocolate was not contributing to my efforts to lose the flab around my mid-section. Mostly I am doing it to test out any food-related health problems, but this past week I have lost a pound and have not felt any cravings for snacks, so hopefully that will continue.