Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I think you physically turn a corner after week six, but since you're recovering from surgery, I'd start back at Week 1 and skip days if it's too easy.

It's been a full week since my surgery. I'm feeling so much better today! Yesterday I jogged (slowly) about 1/4 mile of my 1 mile walk. I think I'll be ready to start back on C25K within the next week.I'm going to take your advice and start back from the beginning, see how it goes, then skip days as I feel I can.

I plan to ride my bicycle for the first time post op today.

I can't even imagine how bad this recovery would have been if I was still carrying the extra 57 lbs. I've lost!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 3 done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe I kept going for 20 minutes straight! I had trouble sleeping last night thinking about this run. My little dog and I were outside before the sun rose and got it done and home before 6 am. It was nice and cool and only a light rain at the end.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I think you physically turn a corner after week six, but since you're recovering from surgery, I'd start back at Week 1 and skip days if it's too easy.

It's been a full week since my surgery. I'm feeling so much better today! Yesterday I jogged (slowly) about 1/4 mile of my 1 mile walk. I think I'll be ready to start back on C25K within the next week.I'm going to take your advice and start back from the beginning, see how it goes, then skip days as I feel I can.

I plan to ride my bicycle for the first time post op today.

I can't even imagine how bad this recovery would have been if I was still carrying the extra 57 lbs. I've lost!

That's a great NSV right there!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Congratulations to everybody who has completed their 20 minute run! It really is a physical and mental turning point in the program and a great accomplishment!

Now you know that you can run for 20 minutes. So, if you feel like quitting before you've run 20 minutes ever again, you know something's up: you might be going to fast, need water, you might be slouching and cutting off your air, etc. It's not because you *can't*. And that's something that not everybody can say.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Now you know that you can run for 20 minutes. And that's something that not everybody can say.

I am actually still in shock that I can say this!!!

Thanks vardaeml for all your support to all of us - it's lovely having a graduate to cheer us on and remind us that we can get through this and be the runner we never thought we could be!
  • Evallusion
    Evallusion Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Week 4 Day 2 Complete. I'm happy to say that I am halfway through the program. Now I'm giving myself two rest days but come Monday, I'm back at it like a crack addict.

Congrats to the recent 20 minute runners and graduates.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I'm back at it like a crack addict.
    LOL I totally get this statement. I've grown to love running, and I'm someone who used to despise running with every fiber of my being. :laugh:

Also, I saw your post earlier about trying the zen labs app but switching back to RunDouble because you liked it better... I say, good for you for finding what you like and sticking with it. It doesn't matter which app you use or if you use an app at all. The important part is to get out there and do something. :flowerforyou:
  • michelle0989
    michelle0989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 3 done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe I kept going for 20 minutes straight! I had trouble sleeping last night thinking about this run. My little dog and I were outside before the sun rose and got it done and home before 6 am. It was nice and cool and only a light rain at the end.

CONGRATS!!!! your run sounds like it was so nice! getting through that day in the program is such an amazing feeling. I feel like we can do anything that comes after this one.
  • Cherie0622
    Cherie0622 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    All these W5 people. I feel so behind.
    I finished Week 3 today. It was a bit rough. I even thought about redoing it next week. Then, I changed my mind, if I'm going to restart a week, it's going to be because my body couldn't do it, not because I think I can't do it.

Week 4 bring on the 5 min. run!! I've got this. And... In a couple of weeks, I'll be able to say I've completed a 20 min. run as well : )
  • crista_b
    Options
    I finished Week 3 today. It was a bit rough. I even thought about redoing it next week. Then, I changed my mind, if I'm going to restart a week, it's going to be because my body couldn't do it, not because I think I can't do it.

Week 4 bring on the 5 min. run!! I've got this. And... In a couple of weeks, I'll be able to say I've completed a 20 min. run as well : )
    Don't feel behind! A lot of people are just starting or have already finished or are in the same place you are etc. It's all over the place. Good luck on week 4! You'll do great! :flowerforyou:

ETA: A lot of us that are on week 5 have posted a few times so it looks like more people than it is.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I know. But if you keep running, one of these days you'll have been doing it for 20+ years.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    Did week five, day one today. There was a big storm here yesterday so I had to jog around a lot of branches and even one tree that was completely blocking the path. The weather was better so that helped. I'm working three 12 hour night shifts starting tonight, so the rest will have to be done Tuesday, Wednesday and/or Thursday. I'm thinking of going for the 20 min run very early when it's not hot. I'll need all the help I can get.
  • MrsJ1105
    MrsJ1105 Posts: 34
    Options
    Did W1D2 yesterday and my 9 year old came with me. It was really tough for us, but somehow we made it through. I've adjusted my running speed and that was REALLY helpful. I also tried to do 2-2 breathing, but that didn't work out so well. Any tips?

Rest today, W1D3 tomorrow morning. Keep pushing everyone, you're doing great!
  • crista_b
    Options
    I also tried to do 2-2 breathing, but that didn't work out so well. Any tips?
    I tried counting my breathing to get more focused on it and realized it doesn't work for me. Personally, I try not to think about how I'm breathing; I just make sure I'm not breathing too hard.

Sometimes I sing along with my music super quietly (I run alone and don't want to be "the weird chick who sings when she runs") to try to make sure I'm at a good pace because you should be able to converse.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options

I think that's a great attitude, to keep going.

You're so not behind, though!! It goes quickly. I can't believe I'm already in week 6... I can't believe that a month ago I was working my way up to three minutes of running, and tomorrow I'll be running 22 minutes :)
  • MrsJ1105
    MrsJ1105 Posts: 34
    Options
    I tried counting my breathing to get more focused on it and realized it doesn't work for me. Personally, I try not to think about how I'm breathing; I just make sure I'm not breathing too hard.

Sometimes I sing along with my music super quietly (I run alone and don't want to be "the weird chick who sings when she runs") to try to make sure I'm at a good pace because you should be able to converse.

I'll try that, thank you. I'm the weird chick who sings and plays her music on speaker while running (or walking), so.... :laugh:
  • crista_b
    Options

I'll try that, thank you. I'm the weird chick who sings and plays her music on speaker while running (or walking), so.... :laugh:
    Haha. Well then it will be normal for you :smile: Plus if it's on speaker it won't seem weird.

My running path is around the community park/baseball fields right behind my house so there are always a lot of people around.
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Just finished week four and am stoked for week 5! I have repeated a few days here and there and don't regret it at all. It's great to move on once you feel you're ready!
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    W3D1 complete. I didnt look at the times of the runs thought it would br best not to know and just go with it. Ha i thought my app had stopped or something i was like seriously when are you gonna say walk?! But it was over quite quickly and i was proud after :)
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Finished Week 7 today! I am feeling strong. Going to the homestretch by placing one foot in front of the other! Woot!