June Chat Page

Options

Replies

• ppaolini4340
    Options
    Happy June and the start of hurricane season. First tropical storm already on the books just in time for our beach trip this weekend. Hopefully it will make its way up to New England before Saturday. Please pray for my daughter and her family as they drive in it all day Friday to join us. We are expecting anywhere from 1 to 4 inches over the next couple days. We have already received 6 inches over the last 6 days. Enough is enough I say. But then, I am not in control of the weather. At least I should not have to worry about the veggie garden drying out while we are gone. Happy and Safe trip to all my MFP friends that are traveling this summer.

Pam
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Pam, will keep good thoughts for your daughter and her family. Hope they make it safely there. I hope that tropical storm bypasses you and goes elsewhere so you can enjoy your beach trip!
  • marise1113
    marise1113 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    June 1st I committed myself to doing 30 mins of walking for 30 days. I am happy to say that today is my 6th straight day with out a miss :blushing:

My cardiologist wants me walking more. My goal is to get up to 1 hour per day by the end of August.:heart:
  • marise1113
    Options
    Wow, look at the size of that sundae....yummy:happy:
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    June 1st I committed myself to doing 30 mins of walking for 30 days. I am happy to say that today is my 6th straight day with out a miss :blushing:

My cardiologist wants me walking more. My goal is to get up to 1 hour per day by the end of August.:heart:

A very realistic goal :smile: Please post your success so we can all cheer you on!! :drinker:
  • Wooken3
    Options
    Well, I pulled up my Big Girl Panties and weighed myself at the Fitness center today and much to my delight...my weight was the same as when we left ~6 weeks ago. While the weight did stay the same, my stamina is down as riding the stationary bike clearly showed. And now I'll be working to get that stamina back as soon as possible.

And as a reward, as if I needed one, I've booked a Spa Day tomorrow for the works. :bigsmile: After living out of the trailer for all this time, I'm ready to a little pampering...not to mentation some serious maintenance. :laugh:
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great way to keep the pounds off...even when I am not losing - it helps keep me steady.....off to London today to spend the weekend with my son....... might struggle with the tracking but hey ho......life is to enjoy! :bigsmile:

Jean
  • marise1113
    Options
    Thanks I will!!
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Being away from home, I've really fell away from my daily exercise and, yes, I really feel it. I should bring my laptop and workout DVDs with me to use when hubby is working on the kids' old house getting it ready to sell, but I don't. I don't think I've put on any weight; calories show up ok on MFP; and my clothes still fit so hopefully no weight gain. Fitness and stamina are a whole different story.

I CAN and WIlL do this and so will all do this!
  • walkswithart
    walkswithart Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    gramanana - we can indeed do this. It seems some of us got the non-exercise gene. They say you can overcome it, but you need to be persistent in your exercise regimen. Keep up the activity!
  • gramanana
    Options
    Walkswithart: I think being away from home is what's got me off balance--can't figure out when to work out or get a routine going. Also, my allergies are really bad here in the south and asthma is keeping me doing too much. Going home soon, so all will be good. Thanks for the encouraging words; they're always appreciated.
  • walkswithart
    walkswithart Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    gramanana - Us humans give me a chuckle. First we say we can't because we can't get into a routine...Next thing you know we say: I'm just so bored with the same thing. You can count on it. I think a little routine is a good thing, and it does help me keep on track.

Here is to balance! :drinker:
  • Wooken3
    Options
    th?id=H.4924825252530741&pid=15.1

I'm back…barely :ohwell: Been down for the last week with head, ear, nose and throat infection. After a trip to urgent care, I crawled into bed and didn't leave the dorm for 6 days. Poor Meeeeeeeeee!! Didn't have to worry about calories because I couldn't swallow anything but tea nor keep down anything but crackers. And I decided that coughing does qualify as exercise. I'm on the mend now, but betting it will take at least another week before I'm able to get out there and bike. One thing about being so sick…I won't take feeling good for granted again.
  • gramanana
    Options
    @Wooken3--I missed you, but didn't know you were sick, just thought you were busy. Glad you're feeling better and welcome back! Continue to take it easy and start back with the bicycling slowly. Get completely well soon!
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Wooken, hope you feel better soon and get out in the fresh air riding!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Wooken3
    Options
    Celebrated my returning to good health with a Mid-Summer Scandinavian Lunch fundraiser today...and ate & enjoy everything in sight. Finnish stew, Swedish rice pudding, Norwegian fruit soup, home baked black bread (to die for!) & crumble cake, all washed down with a pot of some of the best coffee I've ever had. This was followed by a nap as it was getting colder and starting to look like rain again. It's so great to be almost back in the land of the living :) And yes, I was waaaaaaaay over calorie count, but hey...I've been sick. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :bigsmile:
  • katiepeg46
    katiepeg46 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This looks like a fun group to be in. I am in Pennsylvania and it was hot today. I am trying to get over a cold. Still coughing a lot and have no energy. I am retired but I feel guilty when I play on the computer and take naps when I want.

How does everyone get more energy? I was sick with a lingering cold back in March and it took my stamina away. We went to Hawaii in April and I forced myself to go on the excursions we had booked. I seem to need a lot of sleep.
    I have not ambition to exercise or walk. I did do the treadmill Thursday for 15 min and I was wiped out.

I check the message boards all during the day and this is a great site.:wink:
  • Joe_Atlanta
    Joe_Atlanta Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    "I have not ambition to exercise or walk. I did do the treadmill Thursday for 15 min and I was wiped out"

Katie, for me the key was doing it in baby steps, but doing it EVERY day. If 15 minutes wipes you out, do 10 or 5 or whatever you can do and not have it be exhausting. I started out with a 10 minute daily slow walk (really more of an amble) and in 3 months I had slowly increased that to 30 minutes. In month 4 I started pushing my pace a little bit and extending the distance. Last week (after 8 months) I did 5.25 miles in 80 minutes as part of a personal challenge. Again, for me the key was starting slow and making it a part of my daily routine.
  • Wooken3
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of being retired :drinker: For me it took a full year to accept the fact that I was retired and my job was to play on the computer and nap when needed. :bigsmile:

Regarding lack of energy: I so agree with what Joe posted above. Having said that, I also recommend having a full physical to rule out any medical reason that might be the cause. A year ago I couldn't bike two miles without a break. By adding just another one time around the block every few days, I was able to build up my energy level. And after a few weeks, if I didn't get out there and walk or bike daily…my body just missed the exercise and my day was somehow "off".

It takes time and effort to change your lifestyle in both retirement and healthier choices. MFP site has certainly helped me be more motivate to living a healthier lifestyle. We are all here to support you! :flowerforyou:
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Hi Katiepeg. Welcome to our group and to retirement. I actually had to medically retire when I was in my fifties, oh talk about feeling guilty and bored and depressed! All the above. Took me about a year to finally accept it and be happy with it. But in that year, since I was so bored and had nothing better to do, I listened to the local country radio station and won lots of tickets to concerts! LOL.

It is hard to start with exercise after being sedentary for so long. For me, when I started, I walked to the end of my block. There are only 4 houses on the way. OMG by time I got there, I thought I was going to keel over. But, I kept at it and each week added a little bit more. First to the end, then to the end and to the end of the next block, then around the whole block, etc. I was up to walking a mile each day and loving it, until my leg went out on me and ended my walking career. LOL. I have an elliptical/stationery bike that I love. I admit I can only do 10 to 15 minutes at at time, get off for a few then go back for another 10 or 15, but I get it done. My point is any movement throughout the day is good for us.

Glad to see you here and I wish you tons of success in your journey.