Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    As an ex-football player, I always thought of running as a punishment (especially distance running.) Now that I have a full-time desk-job, I wasn't getting as much exercise as I was used to so I decided on Tuesday to start the C25K. Of course, I picked the absolute hottest week of the summer to get started! Anyway, last night I completed W1D2 but wanted to see how far off I am from a 30 minute 5k so I actually kept going after the app ended.

I completed a 5k on W1D2 in 40 minutes. Let it be known that in my life the only other times I've traveled 3.1 miles was via vehicle, so this was awesome. I'm really hoping to push harder to get to that 30 minute mark by October. Do you think this is possible???

WOW! Good for you!!!

It drives me MAD that running is so often used as punishment in athletics. If you are capable of running 5k in 40 minutes now, you will see your time drop significantly by October (newbie gains, right?).

Just be warned that the average, healthy adult is perfectly physically capable of running themselves into an injury on their first run. Most of us are just too lazy for this to be a problem. My advice for you is to take it easy and follow a plan. If the C25k app gets boring for you, you could probably go to Runner's World and use the SmartCoach app to come up with a tailored plan for your fitness level. (I'd enter a current running distance of 4-6 miles a week.)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    WK5D3 this morning - didn't go brilliantly as it was already getting hot at 6.30 (I don't 'do' hot weather very well lol).

The last 2mins I was barely running, my feet were really dragging the ground so I didn't feel it was that great an accomplishment when she said 'that's it'.

I think I'll repeat it on Sunday and if it goes a bit better I'll chalk it up as a victory but for the moment, only half a tick!

You were running. You crossed the finish line. Go ahead and repeat if you need to, but don't underestimate the huge accomplishment that W5D3 is. (That's the 20 minute run for you, right?)
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    W10 D3 C2 10K zen labs completed.

Bit concerned that I got goose bumps and the shivers when i stopped. Jogging in 82'F or 28'C. Whole workout takes 58 minutes. Lots of water. Anyone else?
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    Did week 9 day 1 of the Zen labs app, which makes me a graduate. I hadn't run since Sunday - I went to NYC and LI on Monday and came home yesterday - during the heat wave and spent 2 days in Manhattan with a total walking distance of 12 miles (including six flights of stairs in the Empire State Building). I used to live there and forgot how lovely the heat and humidity can be, although here in NC it's pretty close. It was supposedly 81 when I went out this morning but the weather people lied :mad: I ended up doing the 30 mins but ran the same distance as the 28 mins on Sunday. And that's barely two miles to begin with.

Anyway, I made it through and laugh thinking about those 60 second runs in the beginning and how those were a struggle. I just joined a newly opened gym - haven't gone yet - but they do have an indoor track. I like this enough to want to continue but find the extreme weather to be a detriment. I know I'll feel the same in the winter. And maybe I'll do better on a flat surface for a while. The elevation changes where I run definitely slow me down. I plan to continue doing 30 mins for now and build up endurance and hopefully the distance will come. I'd like to do a 5K but probably in the fall with better weather.

Anyone have the link to the bridge to 10K group?
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/526-bridge-to-10k
  • Cherie0622
    Cherie0622 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    20 min run? Yea, I did that! Actually, I'm a little late in posting this because I did it 2 days ago. Regardless, It felt AMAZING and I was super proud of myself. Even though my first thought was, "TAKE THAT C25K"

photo_zpsa4017ccb.jpg
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Did week 9 day 1 of the Zen labs app, which makes me a graduate. I hadn't run since Sunday - I went to NYC and LI on Monday and came home yesterday - during the heat wave and spent 2 days in Manhattan with a total walking distance of 12 miles (including six flights of stairs in the Empire State Building). I used to live there and forgot how lovely the heat and humidity can be, although here in NC it's pretty close. It was supposedly 81 when I went out this morning but the weather people lied :mad: I ended up doing the 30 mins but ran the same distance as the 28 mins on Sunday. And that's barely two miles to begin with.

Anyway, I made it through and laugh thinking about those 60 second runs in the beginning and how those were a struggle. I just joined a newly opened gym - haven't gone yet - but they do have an indoor track. I like this enough to want to continue but find the extreme weather to be a detriment. I know I'll feel the same in the winter. And maybe I'll do better on a flat surface for a while. The elevation changes where I run definitely slow me down. I plan to continue doing 30 mins for now and build up endurance and hopefully the distance will come. I'd like to do a 5K but probably in the fall with better weather.

Yay you! Come join us! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/526-bridge-to-10k
  • likitisplit
    Options
    20 min run? Yea, I did that! Actually, I'm a little late in posting this because I did it 2 days ago. Regardless, It felt AMAZING and I was super proud of myself. Even though my first thought was, "TAKE THAT C25K"

That's a great attitude. It will get you over hills and across finish lines.
  • Cherie0622
    Cherie0622 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you VERY much!
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I joined the group.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    WK5D3 this morning - didn't go brilliantly as it was already getting hot at 6.30 (I don't 'do' hot weather very well lol).

The last 2mins I was barely running, my feet were really dragging the ground so I didn't feel it was that great an accomplishment when she said 'that's it'.

I think I'll repeat it on Sunday and if it goes a bit better I'll chalk it up as a victory but for the moment, only half a tick!

You were running. You crossed the finish line. Go ahead and repeat if you need to, but don't underestimate the huge accomplishment that W5D3 is. (That's the 20 minute run for you, right?)

Yep 20mins or 1200 seconds and I was counting every one of them .... not one of my better runs lol

I'm going to repeat just for myself as it will give me confidence for the 25min run coming up instead of dreading it :)
  • jaliving
    jaliving Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am checking in, even though I have no intention of beginning the program for a couple weeks more. Right now I am 290lbs+. I don't think my knees could take even week 1. That said, years ago I did this program and it seriously worked. Those couple months were some of the best I ever had. I felt great. Was looking great. Oh well. I have to walk before I can run, but that doesn't mean I am already psyched to do this again!
  • MariaT428
    MariaT428 Posts: 2
    Options
    I just ran 2.18 miles using WEEK 5 DAY 3 of Active.com's Couch-to-5K program!! Yes!!!!!!!!
  • CogitoErgoSum2
    CogitoErgoSum2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    W8 D3 done and I pushed myself to a higher pace. And then pushed some more. Yay!! Nearly finished!!

Starting to think about how to progress afterwards, I would like to introduce weight lifting rather than exclusively a running programme like now. Maybe I can incorporate the two and gently start working towards a 10K?
  • CogitoErgoSum2
    CogitoErgoSum2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am checking in, even though I have no intention of beginning the program for a couple weeks more. Right now I am 290lbs+. I don't think my knees could take even week 1. That said, years ago I did this program and it seriously worked. Those couple months were some of the best I ever had. I felt great. Was looking great. Oh well. I have to walk before I can run, but that doesn't mean I am already psyched to do this again!

Keep posting your progress! What kind of program do you have in mind for your walking and to prepare to start the C25K?

I agree that it's really an amazing running program, I would have never thought I could get out of the bad feelings about myself and my body when I started, but it's happening every time I push myself to go to the gym and train. Can I also add that this website and this thread in particular have contributed to my progress as much as the C25K in itself?

:happy:
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    W8D3 in the books this morning. Ran just a little over 3 miles in the 28 minutes. Since the next week is just 30 minutes runs, I am now confident that my first 5K on August 3rd will be under 30 minutes. The Zen Labs app tells me that I graduated today but I won't consider myself graduated until I knock out the three 30 minute runs and then finish the first competitive 5K in two weeks.

If I can do this program at age 46 and with multiple foot problems (flexible flat foot, bunions, gout, arthritis, etc), then anyone can do this. It has been mind over matter since the beginning. There were times when I wanted to skip a day or cut a workout short but I plowed through it and completed each and every workout on schedule. Running alone has been an issue at times since I have become bored with the early morning runs but I have varied my route and changed my playlist a few times.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    First one I didn't finish today. Supposed to be running for 25 mins but 20 mins in I landed funny coming off a kerb and twisted my ankle :cry: Limped the rest f the way home.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I did W7D2, and ended up running the whole 30 mins. I feel good and tired.
  • Squirkie
    Squirkie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I did W7D2, and ended up running the whole 30 mins. I feel good and tired.

Congratulations! You'll finish the program strong!!

As for me, W8D2 - Done! :smile:
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    W7D1 done. I hang back on W6 as I didn't believe I could do W7 but actually it was harder doing two 10mins than a full 20odd min run! Very proud of myself xox