August C25K challenge

Options

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    While I support going at your own pace, I think that people's weight gets blamed more than it ought. My experience with the program (and I started C25k back in December) is that difficulties are more likely to stem from:
    1) going too fast
    2) wearing the wrong shoes
    3) going too fast

After all, I was 40+ pounds overweight when I started and Julie Donahue ran her first 5k with over 75 more pounds to lose: http://halfajulie.blogspot.com/2013/07/first-5k-is-over.html

I'd say yes and no to this. When I started losing weight in late December I was more than 130 lbs overweight AND out of shape completely. I had trouble just walking at a brisk pace for 30 minutes, or even 15 minutes at first. I don't think it would have done my knees any good to have started running with so much weight and so little muscle. I did focus on walking and got my weight down and my fitness up. So by the beginning of May and with a lot less weight, I was ready to start C25K. Of course I was still 80+ lbs overweight, but I was ready by then.
  • ktpod1
    ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    W1D2 completed last night. I did the program once before in 2010 (but never completed it). I did run a 5k in 2010 (completed in 39:32). I was about the same weight I am now. I want to compete smaller and lighter and beat my time. I am taking this round more seriously and will not advance until I feel ready on each day. I am also starting off at a lower speed than I recall. Good Luck to everyone!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Someone with excess weight, who runs a 5K, has trained to reach a state where their oxygen metabolism and muscle strength allow for this to be possible, with emphasis on trained. I just want to voice an opinion that might help others in my slow boat not to push too hard. I'm not lazy nor do I slack, but going from very little exercise to viewing oneself as someone who does exercise is a major lifestyle change. If there is mental resistance, I prefer to cajole gently rather than show the whip to a still fragile mind. I'm a bookworm and a sensitive soul (yes it sounds dense but such is reality), who never was taught to stay physically healthy, so if it means a tweaked version of an otherwise excellent programme, I don't really care if someone else thinks it's not how things should get done. I get off the couch at a regular pace and that is all that matters. Like I said before, I know of several others who have taken things slowly, so I can't imagine I'm the only one on this team to have other needs than the pre-planned pace. Peer pressure exists even amongst adults, so my voice is offering an alternative approach to still encourage progress, regardless of how slow it may be. I hope this is okay.
  • gsop22
    gsop22 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am starting on 8/5. Looking for a few friends to keep me in check C25K. Add me if you like. Good luck everyone.
  • ladytrixibelle
    ladytrixibelle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Completed W5D2 yesterday, I was sneaky and did 11 minutes on the last run instead of 8. I've been doing that the last couple of weeks just to prove to myself that I CAN run 10 minutes.

The infamous W5D3 tomorrow.... I'm actually really anxious about this one, I'm not sure if I can make it. But it's okay, if I need to stop and repeat the day I'm okay with that.
  • ktpod1
    ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @AglaeaC....I think you are right on track. I never started this program thinking I would run a 5k in 30 minutes. I am under the impression that all it is, is to build up ones endurance to run 30 minutes straight no matter what the pace is. After completion, then I will work on increasing speed. I think people could walk faster than my jog. I'm ok with that. Keep up with whatever pace is best with you. You are miles ahead of those still sitting on the couch! :flowerforyou:
  • lablueluna
    Options
    Hello all!

Just completed w3 d2 tonight, not sure if I ought to repeat. I felt a little sick about 20 minutes in and stopped for about five minutes. Then I felt better (much better) so I decided to finish up. The break made the last two running intervals feel like a breeze! I might just continue on, and if I feel like week 4 is too challenging two runs from now, repeat a day from week 3.

It definitely still feels hard. I wonder if I'll ever get to a place where I can run continuously for the entire length of a 5k. I did lower my speed on the longer 3 minute intervals, which helped. I just felt too challenged the last time. I'm not worried about speed. I want to gain enough endurance to last jogging/running for 30 minutes and then I'll think about that. I cannot WAIT until it's cool enough for me to run outside. I love being in the park in the autumn. My gym is cool enough, but I sure wish they had fans on their treadmills.

I have anxiety about each run but it's such a rush to know that I'm able to get through the workout!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    While I support going at your own pace, I think that people's weight gets blamed more than it ought. My experience with the program (and I started C25k back in December) is that difficulties are more likely to stem from:
    1) going too fast
    3) going too fast

After all, I was 40+ pounds overweight when I started and Julie Donahue ran her first 5k with over 75 more pounds to lose: http://halfajulie.blogspot.com/2013/07/first-5k-is-over.html

I'd say yes and no to this. When I started losing weight in late December I was more than 130 lbs overweight AND out of shape completely. I had trouble just walking at a brisk pace for 30 minutes, or even 15 minutes at first. I don't think it would have done my knees any good to have started running with so much weight and so little muscle. I did focus on walking and got my weight down and my fitness up. So by the beginning of May and with a lot less weight, I was ready to start C25K. Of course I was still 80+ lbs overweight, but I was ready by then.

I think a solid walking base is a definite must. However, there have been people who have *graduated* this program still more than 80 pounds overweight.

I would have to say that 90% of the people who start the program (at whatever weight) have a hard time believing that they will ever be runners. I, and ever other graduate on this board, intimately KNOW how exciting it is to complete the first day. And then 5 (a WHOLE FIVE minutes) and then 8!, 20!, 30! and a 5k. If you believe that you can successfully complete the program, that's more I ever believed before week 7. I was utterly positive that I would hit a wall and be unable to progress at some point.

I have also spoken to a number of people who haven't finished. A lot of people "get to week 4 and then quit." A whole lot of people. They repeat and repeat and finally get bored with the program. That week tends to be all about finding your pace, believing that you can do it and mentally overcoming the challenge of progressing to week 5. Listen to your body. But understand that the bigger challenge is your mind.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hello all!

Just completed w3 d2 tonight, not sure if I ought to repeat. I felt a little sick about 20 minutes in and stopped for about five minutes. Then I felt better (much better) so I decided to finish up. The break made the last two running intervals feel like a breeze! I might just continue on, and if I feel like week 4 is too challenging two runs from now, repeat a day from week 3.

It definitely still feels hard. I wonder if I'll ever get to a place where I can run continuously for the entire length of a 5k. I did lower my speed on the longer 3 minute intervals, which helped. I just felt too challenged the last time. I'm not worried about speed. I want to gain enough endurance to last jogging/running for 30 minutes and then I'll think about that. I cannot WAIT until it's cool enough for me to run outside. I love being in the park in the autumn. My gym is cool enough, but I sure wish they had fans on their treadmills.

I have anxiety about each run but it's such a rush to know that I'm able to get through the workout!

It sounds like you still need to slow down. If you are running as SLOWLY as you possibly can, try doing your walk intervals more slowly too. One person actually got to the point where he stopped and stretched during the "walk" intervals in order to recover...and then went on to successfully graduate. I've used that technique myself on some of these summer runs.
  • EmilyM_1986
    Options
    So I took your great advice and ran at a slower pace last night and... got through week 4 day 1!

I (slowly) ran a whole 5 minutes without stopping... twice!

It did make me laugh when the app started off with 'we'll be doing two long runs of 5 mins and two short runs of 3 mins' seeing as how just three days ago 3 mins was the long run.

I still didn't make it outdoors yet but we'll see what Saturday brings :happy:

How's everyone else getting?
  • likitisplit
    Options
    One of my running groups on Facebook posted "Forward is a Pace"

All runners sometimes need the reminder.
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    completed W3D3 last Tuesday. I barely made it. I always take 2 days in between for rest but generally I walk one of those 2 days for 30 minutes. I started having soreness in my hip on the day I was supposed to do W4D1. I postponed and kept postponing for whatever reasons I could find. Still walking though. I hope to get in W4D1 tonight after work.

5'2"
    SW 184
    CW 180

My "Blerch" is still hanging around. Went to gym after work yesterday even though I had plenty of other things I should have been doing (laundry, quality time with kids, etc). I was proud of myself for that. But MY IPOD wasn't charged! I couldn't use the C25K app! Damn that Blerch! I did misc cardio at the gym. Plan was for an hour. At 55 minutes I decided to run the last 5 on the track just to show my blerch that I CAN run 5 min. I DID IT! Hopefully I shut the blerch up and on Sunday (2 days of rest), I will embark on W4D1.
  • sadhanagopal
    sadhanagopal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi

I finished my W1D2 yesterday. Planning to do W1D3 tomorrow. Felt very tired, sleepy and feverish yesterday afternoon. But did 3 miles of Leslie Sansone today morning and have been ok all of today so I think I will try and do this tomorrow morning. However, my pace bothers my. I am able to complete only 1.96 miles in 30 mins. I am crawling like a turtle when i jog but if I go any faster I get completely winded. Id 1.96 miles in 30 mins too slow? How did you guys improve your pace? Please help!!
  • lablueluna
    Options
    Kick that 'blerch' to the curb! Good job on getting on the treadmill at the end!

I think I will slow down a bit more tomorrow when I do day 3 of week 3. I have slowed down walking intervals.

I just noticed that the app I'm using is slightly different than the traditional C25K program. 'Ease into 5K' doesn't have that dreaded 20 minute run on week 5. It seems that what this app does is increase the running intervals and decrease the walking time. It also seems to be a week behind the traditional program, if that makes any sense. I think I like it better but it's hard for me to compare since it's been five years since I was training using the traditional C25K.

I'm at the point where I think I can complete the program but still have a mixture of dread/anxiety/excitement/persistence/hope each time I head to the gym. We'll all get there!
  • amomono
    amomono Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm just joining this group, but I am working on week 5 of C25k - I'd love to have some company/accountability!

I did my first 8 min runs Wednesday night with day 2 and I couldn't believe I actually did it! I was astounded. tomorrow will be the first 20 min run and I'm scared, but I'm ready. sort of.

I have started and never completed the 8 week plan before... this is the farthest I've come. I don't think I could ever say I was a runner before, but I'm learning that if you go out and run, you are a runner =) I feel so awesome/exhausted after finishing.

I'm also doing Chalean Extreme strength workouts 3 days a week on alternating days as my runs. The strength is really adding to my ability to push! I have done CLX before with her cardio days... but much prefer to be outside running to the indoor plyometrics/HIIT style work.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    The Blerch never goes away. He hangs around the first 10 minutes of every run. "Your legs are tired" "You have to go pee" "Why do you think you'll ever be a runner?" Olympic marathoners have the Blerch.

As a runner, you just get used to it - it's part of the experience..."You still there? Cool. I'll check back in 10 minutes." I'd miss him if he didn't remind me that running is hard at the beginning of every run.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The Blerch never goes away. He hangs around the first 10 minutes of every run. "Your legs are tired" "You have to go pee" "Why do you think you'll ever be a runner?" Olympic marathoners have the Blerch.

As a runner, you just get used to it - it's part of the experience..."You still there? Cool. I'll check back in 10 minutes." I'd miss him if he didn't remind me that running is hard at the beginning of every run.

Glad to hear it's not just me. Every single time I think "this is too hard - I can't do this today" and then I remind myself of all the other times I felt like that. When I switched to an app that gave me split times I was very surprised to find my first mile is always my slowest. I assumed it would be the other way around - that I would be faster when I was fresher.
  • lmblcg
    lmblcg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I completed W1D2 this morning. This is my third attempt at C25K and I hope to finish. The last time I did it, I stopped and did the 5K anyway. Injured my knee and havent done anything major since.

I hope to stick with it this time and also lose weight/get fit in the process.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I completed w2d3 last night. For those who didn't read it on the other thread, I'm doing this as a family thing. Hubby and I are going through the program together, pushing our son (who will be 3 next month) in the stroller. We started with a week zero - brisk walks on a local trail. It gave us a chance to get to know the trail a bit & get a feel for pushing Little Man in his stroller on the trail. Took us 2 days to decide that we needed a stroller upgrade. lol Thank you Kijiji! :happy:

As for the stats: I'm 33, 5'2 & currently 211-ish. There is a color run/walk happening in my city at the end of September and we will be in it! That is my motivation and reward for sticking with the program. Yes, we may have to walk some, but it will be so much fun!

I would love to add anyone who wants to compare notes and encouragement. Feel free to add me.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    1) going too fast
    3) going too fast

I think a solid walking base is a definite must. However, there have been people who have *graduated* this program still more than 80 pounds overweight.

I would have to say that 90% of the people who start the program (at whatever weight) have a hard time believing that they will ever be runners. I, and ever other graduate on this board, intimately KNOW how exciting it is to complete the first day. And then 5 (a WHOLE FIVE minutes) and then 8!, 20!, 30! and a 5k. If you believe that you can successfully complete the program, that's more I ever believed before week 7. I was utterly positive that I would hit a wall and be unable to progress at some point.

I have also spoken to a number of people who haven't finished. A lot of people "get to week 4 and then quit." A whole lot of people. They repeat and repeat and finally get bored with the program. That week tends to be all about finding your pace, believing that you can do it and mentally overcoming the challenge of progressing to week 5. Listen to your body. But understand that the bigger challenge is your mind.

"...the bigger challenge is your mind." That, that, totally that.

I graduated C25K about a month ago and am still 50+ pounds overweight, but I'm 20+ pounds down from where I was when I started running.

To those concerned about speed - I'm ending week three of 5K-to-10K tomorrow and I still can't run a 5K in even close to 30 minutes, and that's okay. I'm working right now on increasing my distance and in time the speed will come. Of course I like to see progress, but I can't start comparing myself to what other people are doing or it will make me sad. :smile: