August C25K challenge

Options

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I think the reason why I stopped the two first times a few years ago was keeping too high a speed. It was so dumb, it killed all the fun and I was super stressed out about even thinking about going out. Live and learn, but I still need to tell myself to slow down at times. In my podcast, the Robert Ullrey one, he starts by reminding me I should be able to talk during the jogging intervals and I like to hear this. I'm just so impatient and want to be a Real Runner right now, not weeks from now! Haha. Personally I think the biggest struggles and victories of C25K happen up in the head, and there is a lot to learn from simply observing one's behaviour, thoughts, reactions when training.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Anyone running today? We're starting week 3 tonight!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I just did W3D1. Had to walk a bit of the second 3-minute jogging due to 'no air' (should have breathed into a paper bag but you usually don't bring those along...). I had planned on another round of W2 so this still pleases me. Have a great weekend!
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    We completed w3d1. It went pretty well despite a few bumps: instead of pausing the podcast so i could tie my shoe, I somehow managed to reset it completely! It wouldn't let me skip ahead so I had to time the rest of our runs/walks using the stop watch on the iPod. lol Then my son started getting upset because he wanted to go home to use the potty... yeah.... fun times! :noway:

It was hard, especially the first 3 minute run, but I found that I liked it better over all than week 2.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I start week 4, I'm trying to take a day in-between my run days but it seems like I run 2 then rest 1....I think as it gets tougher I'll be happier to take a rest day in between!:laugh: Week 4 sure does cut down the walk times in between the run times...wish me luck!:flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I think the reason why I stopped the two first times a few years ago was keeping too high a speed. It was so dumb, it killed all the fun and I was super stressed out about even thinking about going out. Live and learn, but I still need to tell myself to slow down at times. In my podcast, the Robert Ullrey one, he starts by reminding me I should be able to talk during the jogging intervals and I like to hear this. I'm just so impatient and want to be a Real Runner right now, not weeks from now! Haha. Personally I think the biggest struggles and victories of C25K happen up in the head, and there is a lot to learn from simply observing one's behaviour, thoughts, reactions when training.

***Bing!*** You're a real runner now!

There is no other qualification test besides running and you are getting out and running three times a week.

Oh, you walk sometimes, you say? Jeff Galloway teaches that. He has coached people to walk/run marathons with a Boston-Qualifying time.

Do NOT underestimate what you are doing. It's pretty awesome.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I graduated C25K about a month ago and am still 50+ pounds overweight, but I'm 20+ pounds down from where I was when I started running.

To those concerned about speed - I'm ending week three of 5K-to-10K tomorrow and I still can't run a 5K in even close to 30 minutes, and that's okay. I'm working right now on increasing my distance and in time the speed will come. Of course I like to see progress, but I can't start comparing myself to what other people are doing or it will make me sad. :smile:

Seriously? I graduated 6 months ago and would be happy to break 32 minutes on a 5k. :drinker:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I just did W3D1. Had to walk a bit of the second 3-minute jogging due to 'no air' (should have breathed into a paper bag but you usually don't bring those along...). I had planned on another round of W2 so this still pleases me. Have a great weekend!

You need to slow down some more.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    The desktop on my computer at home says: "No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone on the couch."
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I graduated C25K about a month ago and am still 50+ pounds overweight, but I'm 20+ pounds down from where I was when I started running.

To those concerned about speed - I'm ending week three of 5K-to-10K tomorrow and I still can't run a 5K in even close to 30 minutes, and that's okay. I'm working right now on increasing my distance and in time the speed will come. Of course I like to see progress, but I can't start comparing myself to what other people are doing or it will make me sad. :smile:

Seriously? I graduated 6 months ago and would be happy to break 32 minutes on a 5k. :drinker:

I'm at about 38 minutes - then I see people who started after at the same time or after me doing them in 28.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Just finished week one day 2 again....got to get back into a habit so I can get this thing done!
  • addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I completed w2d3 last night. For those who didn't read it on the other thread, I'm doing this as a family thing. Hubby and I are going through the program together, pushing our son (who will be 3 next month) in the stroller. We started with a week zero - brisk walks on a local trail. It gave us a chance to get to know the trail a bit & get a feel for pushing Little Man in his stroller on the trail. Took us 2 days to decide that we needed a stroller upgrade. lol Thank you Kijiji! :happy:

As for the stats: I'm 33, 5'2 & currently 211-ish. There is a color run/walk happening in my city at the end of September and we will be in it! That is my motivation and reward for sticking with the program. Yes, we may have to walk some, but it will be so much fun!

I would love to add anyone who wants to compare notes and encouragement. Feel free to add me.

How does it go with your stroller? I have 2 boys, almost 4 (but 19% for weight so he really is probably more like most 2 1/2 to 3 year olds) and a 20 month old. We have a double jogging stroller. My husband pushes it on the days he goes with me. But I have never pushed it running. I either run on days when I have someone to watch the boys or have my husband to push the boys. I'm scared that I won't be able to run at all while pushing them but I guess maybe I should just give it a try.
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Here! I'm starting Wk 2, day 2 today. This is the first time I've made it past Week 1, so yeah.... :P
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Hi

I finished my W1D2 yesterday. Planning to do W1D3 tomorrow. Felt very tired, sleepy and feverish yesterday afternoon. But did 3 miles of Leslie Sansone today morning and have been ok all of today so I think I will try and do this tomorrow morning. However, my pace bothers my. I am able to complete only 1.96 miles in 30 mins. I am crawling like a turtle when i jog but if I go any faster I get completely winded. Id 1.96 miles in 30 mins too slow? How did you guys improve your pace? Please help!!

Go as slow as you need to. As others have said, you are going faster than those sitting on the couch!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hi

I finished my W1D2 yesterday. Planning to do W1D3 tomorrow. Felt very tired, sleepy and feverish yesterday afternoon. But did 3 miles of Leslie Sansone today morning and have been ok all of today so I think I will try and do this tomorrow morning. However, my pace bothers my. I am able to complete only 1.96 miles in 30 mins. I am crawling like a turtle when i jog but if I go any faster I get completely winded. Id 1.96 miles in 30 mins too slow? How did you guys improve your pace? Please help!!

Go as slow as you need to. As others have said, you are going faster than those sitting on the couch!

This. I improved my pace by completing the Couch to 5k program and continuing to run three days a week afterwards.
  • AglaeaC
    Options

***Bing!*** You're a real runner now!

There is no other qualification test besides running and you are getting out and running three times a week.

Oh, you walk sometimes, you say? Jeff Galloway teaches that. He has coached people to walk/run marathons with a Boston-Qualifying time.

Do NOT underestimate what you are doing. It's pretty awesome.
    Hey! That Bing! felt like a magic wand :lol: Thanks for the encouragement! It's still a secret but I'm dreaming of running a half-marathon sometime.
  • AglaeaC
    Options

You need to slow down some more.
    Yep, I also need to go my typical route in the opposite direction because right now I hit an awful little hill mid-run. My hope is that I'd arrive there during a walking interval then. I will conquer that hill one day but the time isn't here just yet.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I posted this in one of the sticky topics, but figure someone might not notice it there:
    http://lifehacker.com/the-biggest-mistakes-runners-of-all-levels-make-and-ho-1030501368
  • jmm083
    jmm083 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    W4D3 complete. I am feeling really discouraged right now. This week has brought intense calf pain-sort of a locking feeling. I am going quite slow but it is still painful. I don't feel physically challenged in terms of breathing, exhaustion, etc. at all....it's just my calves. I have been stretching really well every run-dynamic stretches before the run and static after, yet this pain. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • lablueluna
    Options
    Did week 3 day 3 today but had to stop about 2/3s in due to stomach pain. I suppose I will have to redo this day on Wednesday, outside. Visiting my sister in the burbs, so I think it'll be okay to run/walk in her neighborhood but slightly nervous about taking it outside. First time in this training time...