The august ladies' August check in and chat

Replies

• PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Squats 75lbs
    OHP 50lbs (again. May try 55 next time. Just so hard.)
    Deadlift 95lbs

Loving it!
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Has anyone done Crossfit while on a program like SL? I'm dying to try Crossfit, but wonder if it would be too much in addition to a regular lifting program?

I'm having a 1:1 personal training session with a Crossfit trainer (in the Crossfit box) once a week, and doing SLs twice a week. I love the combination. I love not knowing what I'm going to be doing when I see the PT, and I love that I know exactly what I'll be doing when I do my SL sessions in the morning. It works for me. I'm too chicken to try proper Crossfit. It's so intense. I think what I do is similar, just not with so many people around... And I love that it's all about me!

Meanwhile, I only did one SL session this week as I slept in on Tuesday! So on Wednesday I did an A session...

5 x 5 (and more) bodyweight squats as I'm still trying to work out what's going on with my squats. I've realised that I don't "hold" for the entire squat. I lower down with my muscles engaged to a certain point, and then I just drop. I just can't work out how to keep holding tight and lower further down. I lose it at just below coffee table height (I can lower to the coffee table, but not to the upside down laundry basket with cushion on top)! I'll keep working on it.

Then I benched and increased the weight by 2.5kg for 1 1/2 sets, then failed. So dropped back down to whatever it was last time! I forget now...

Pendlay rows, I managed to increase again another 2.5 for 5x5. Yay! I feel badass... I think I'm over 30kgs now with these!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    To those of you who are new and feeling the lifting - acquaint yourself with the foam roller. It will hurt like nobody's business, but it's a good kind of hurt. And it will make you feel better. :) Also, epsom salt baths are a good tool!

I don't know where I would be without my TP roller, some days I can spend 20mins before my lifting session just trying to relax knots from my muscles :happy: it can be painful but so worth it

Also get yourselves a field hockey ball, good for getting super deep :love:
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Highly, highly recommend a foam roller as well - it hurts sooooo good! :-)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    What is a foam roller and what is it for?
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    What is a foam roller and what is it for?

It's a self-done deep tissue massage. They come in floor versions that you roll around on, and in hand-held versions that you use like a rolling pin over your tissues to loosen things up.

Floor version:
    normal_hdfoamrollerbig1.jpg

Handheld version:
    40080-2T.jpg
  • randomtai
    Oh hell yeahs...
    They have those at my gym, I was using them to make my vertical leg hip raises more challenging :laugh:
    I will have to try those as massagers.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    I hit my deadlift goal for the month (100 lbs, which is my body weight). Also, I went up to 55 lbs on rows!

And also, when I was doing my squats yesterday, there was a woman that initially was looking over at me. She started doing bench presses, and I noticed that she did sets of 5...and then when she asked me if I was done with the squat rack I was like "she's doing SL5x5!" So I asked her, and then showed her the app. So all you corporate gym dudes better watch out because we're swarming the free weights area!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Workout A

Squats: 165lbs 3x5
    Bench: 100lbs 3x5
    Rows: 100lbs 3x5

Bench weight was really heavy, but I managed. The first set of rows felt awkward and heavy, but after the first set, they were fine. Squats felt like a disaster. They were incredibly difficult and I felt like I was leaning too far forward. I may not have been completely recovered from Tuesday's workout.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Workout B

Squats 5x5 @105#

OHP 5x6 @45# (increase in reps to help me go up in weight, felt good)

Dead Lifts 1x5 @125# (a new PR)

Assisted pull ups 3x8 @48# assisted (PR)

Assisted tricep dips 3x8 @48# assisted (PR)

Overall, I am very happy. Didn't think I would be able to do squats because my quads/hamstrings were punished in PT on Tuesday. But it felt okay so I went for it. I like to stay at a weight a few times before moving up. OHP's were good. I think my problem has been form and watching Rippletoe's video helped tremendously. Added one rep to each set and by the fifth set it felt easier. I may be ready to increase weight very soon. My favorite lift is the dead lift and today it did not disappoint. Increased the weight and my entire body felt it, in a good way. Love what it has done for my glutes, hamstrings, and forearms.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Hi all :flowerforyou:

Yesterday was my cardio day. 20 min starimaster, 20 min rower.

Today was a good day:

Squat = 115 5 x 5 :drinker: This was the first time I've placed 35 lb. plates on my bar from the first set. :happy: It took me about 1 month to increase a total of 10 lbs. I started using my 2.5 lbs and then today i was able to add the entire 5 lbs. I say this for those of us who aren't increasing weight with every workout or every week. :embarassed: I hope i'm not the only one. :laugh:

Bent over Row = 70 5 x 5 this is up from 65 :bigsmile:

Bench press = 60 5 x 5 up from 55 :bigsmile:

20 minutes stairmaster to finish it off.

Have a Great evening!
  • randomtai
    Hey all :)

Today I tried the Zombies Run! app and had a blast! I wound up running for 4 miles and it didn't even feel like it. :smile:
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    I can't imagine running 4 miles and not feeling it. :laugh: Sounds nice!

Today I did a kickboxing class for the second time this week on top of lifting and tonight felt like I might be overdoing it. I'm not sure if I need to eat more or what. I'm trying to lose a few lbs of fat I've accumulated since at my lowest weight last year but maybe I'm working too hard for such a calorie reduction. It's so hard to know how much to eat, I feel like it's a never-ending experiment. :grumble:
  • randomtai
    It's so hard to know how much to eat, I feel like it's a never-ending experiment. :grumble:

Amen!! I *think* I figured out what my TDEE, but now that I am adding running to the routine... *goes to calculate again sigh*
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    If in doubt, eat more! I was eating 2000 a day, and adding 200 on lifting days the week before my holiday and lost over a pound... I am nearly 6 foot tall, but that was lifting only no cardio... You may find some of the intense cardio becomes too much without some more fuel :-)
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    building up again after my week off
    Squat 5x5 65kg/143lbs
    Bench 5x5 20kg /44lbs - felt great to focus on form and I approached this like it was heavy (tip from nina shanks) he he he
    Row 5x5 @ 20kg/44lbs - again great reminder on form, rather than the total struggle to do this and wiggle about.

Felt great - I know I say it all the time - but I LOVE< LOVE< LOVE lifting!!!

and as part of my accessories stuff - I hot 10 full press ups!!! nose to floor) hurrahhhh totally delighted.

usual accessories, reverse crunches, full press ups, vsits, 3x6 inverted body weight rows, assisted chin ups, chin ups, air squats, lunges.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    I took an easy day yesterday because on Monday I dropped a 25lb plate on my foot and thought I broke it. It didnt hurt right away (which is why it wasn't mentioned in my post) but I ended up at the ER. Feeling much better yesterday, I went to the gym:

3x10 push-ups
    2x30 sec planks (it still hurts to curl the toes)
    Empty bar warmup:
    1x10 squats
    1x10 OHP
    1x10 BP
    Lift:
    3x5 lat pull-downs @75#
    5x5 OHP @55# (it feels like this will never increase!)
    5x5 rows @60#
    And lots of stretching after

Hope to be back to weighted squats next week
  • randomtai
    If in doubt, eat more! I was eating 2000 a day, and adding 200 on lifting days the week before my holiday and lost over a pound... I am nearly 6 foot tall, but that was lifting only no cardio... You may find some of the intense cardio becomes too much without some more fuel :-)

Agreed! But I think I was eating too much at one time, I reduced my calories slightly and finally broke plateau.
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Hiya! TGIF...

Yes, knowing how much to eat drives me crazy, too. I think I'm eating too little right now. I really never seem to lose fat, no matter what I do (eat more, eat less, lift more, lift less)...this layer of fat is stuck on top of my lovely muscles like glue. Grrr. Actually, I do think I've lost a little fat during this month of Whole30 (paleo) eating. I can see my cheekbones again at least. But I haven't weighed or measured yet, so I'm not totally sure. Regardless, I'm going to stick with the program because I feel fantastic. I may up the calories a bit though.

So, today was WOB for me, and I only increased on squats. I CAN NOT get those freaking OHP's above 55lbs, even after watching Rippetoe vids to see if my form was at fault. Frustrating, and now I have to deload because I failed at reps too many times at 55. It's weird how I can feel so strong on one move (deadlifts) and so weak on others.

Today:
    Squats 5x5 @ 120
    OHP 5x4, 4, 3, 4, 4 @ 55
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 145
    Plank @ 60 secs (should probably add a bit more ab work, but I was tiiiired)
    Also, really working on stretching my hip flexors which are killing me lately--too much sitting at work, I think! I need a deep tissue massage like nobody's business.

Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • Sugar_Junkie
    Sugar_Junkie Posts: 366 Member
    You ladies are kicking butt and taking names in here. Pure awesomeness. Don't think I am going to be able to get in my workout today at least not SL. So I will do a mini core workout at home tonight and maybe get in some cardio tomorrow. Sunday I will hit it hard with SL!!!!!