Super Strong Squatters - September check in and chat

Options

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    ok so girls, if we're going to curl, please tell me we are all going to curl and stand next to the bros checking out our guns in the mirror, with plenty of body English (I think that's what it's called?!!) and grunting? :)

and Dani, I should probably join you on your challenge - what are you doing?!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    and Dani, I should probably join you on your challenge - what are you doing?!

Just a home-baked thing that has me starting out with 5 push-ups, 20 body weight squats and 10 sumo/goblet squats. I'm taking up the push-ups by 1 per day and the squats by 2 per squat per day. Every 5th day is a rest day. Nothing too dramatic.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    On a mini vacay now - trying to not let the wheels come off the bus food-wise. Hoping to get in a run tomorrow, but not expecting to workout otherwise (as I'm flying solo with the kids and they can't be left alone while I hit the gym, I think).

Yesterday was my kettlebells day - did an Iron Core circuit DVD, which is new to me and I LOVE - involved 80 kettlebell swings at 25lbs. I haven't deadlifted since the back has improved, but did one-legged deaadlifts and good mornings with 15 & 20 lbs bells and FEELING IT today. Holy hamstrings!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

Oh? I have some elbow tendinitis that's been flaring ever since a particularly exuberant rows and power clean session. I may need to do some curling.

It's feeling a lot better today, even though the curls were painful to my poor tendon. I also have been doing a sort of reverse grip exercise at my desk all day this week. You take some rubber bands and put them on your hand like you're trying to pinch salt. Then you open your fingers. I did mine during a particularly exuberant plank to cobra. The instructor told us to put our elbows near our bodies, but my elbow didn't really like that so much.

Lydia it is correct form to always gaze lovingly at one's self in the mirror when performing curls. Bonus points for bicep kisses.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Curls are so much fun. Makes you look tough. I especially like loading up the bar so much that I have to do a compound lift curl that is part curl, part reverse clean. You know with all the upper body momentum. Okay, I lied, I don't curl any more, but I do still check out the guns in the mirror. Some of the curling bros do have nice guns that I can see in the mirror :wink:

Any whooos, onto what I like to call efficient lifting. WO A today:

Squats 5x5 @ 115 - warm ups were really stiff so I did a few extra sets to work up to the 115
    Bench 5x5 @ 85
    Row 5x5 @ 80
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    B day.

Squats: 170lbs 3x5
    OHP: 72.5 (5-5-3)
    Deadlifts: 200lbs 1x5

Last week, I was all excited when doing 200lbs for deadlifts. They were easy, so I decided to jump to 205 this week. Got all of the equipment together and realized I was doing 190lbs last week, not 200. Felt dumb and didn't increase the weight.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Chubby - you still went up by 10lbs on last time - and I failed at barbell maths this week too lol

So today I learned something. Do not put the bar on your chest to change your grip halfway through a set. Yeah! It is a heavy thing and once your body is not engaged with the lifting process it is hard to get it back up again! Doh.

So my squats, I have been working on my form for a week or two and today was the first increase in weight for a while - don't laugh it's only teen tiny! 5x5 @ 32.5kg (72lb) Working on keeping my hips square, knees tracking out - I am a little knock-kneed and feet a little wider than shoulder width. And it seemed to work well. Could feel the muscles working in my glutes and the inside and back of my thighs. And I feel better about being able to keep my form good while I start to build the weight again now.

Bench press - increased again up to a whole 25kg (55lb). I did my 5x5 it was hard to really get that pec squeeze at the top. I may stick with the weight for my next session and see if I can just build a bit more strength at it.

Rows, I used the bottom of the power rack to rest the bar on which took it a good bit higher than even the 25kg plates would have done. And I managed my first proper Pendlay rows! at 5X5 35kg (77lb) Much easier to shift the weight this way. It is now a case of building muscle memory. Hopefully as that develops I will be able to start a little lower, we have the adjustable reebok step things so I could rest on 2 of those to go a little lower however I think I really do have a body compostition problem in respect of doing these. Even at 25kg height there is no way my legs would be straight enough for this to be a proper pendlay row and to put the bar down. I think my legs are just in the wrong proportion to my body to do them without some sort of extra height. But perhaps the muscle memory will build up enough. Who cares for the time being I can do 'em right!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    My legs aren't straight... Bent enough to give me a flat arched back or whatever the opposite of arched is which is whaat I mean. Hm. Brain is officially awol..
  • roxylola
    Options
    I have looked at videos and stuff of form, I know what you mean about the back being flat (s shaped not ( shaped) And I can do it with the bar about a foot off the ground but much less and my head would either be lower than my hips or I would literally be crouching. I shall see how I get on now I have a way of elevating it somewhat
  • DaniH826
    Options
    I bend my legs during Pendlays too. It helps me get that stable base, which is all I'm worried about.

Did elliptical, day 3 of squat/push-up challenge, then yoga, then deadlifts, Pendlays and power cleans.

I'm pretty much wiped out now. :laugh: TGIF !!!!!
  • roxylola
    Options
    Dani that goes above and beyond the call of duty! Now chill out and enjoy your weekend :D

I do bend my legs even still with the bar on the bottom safety on the rack.
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    I had a madcow friday! Woooo. I had to recalculate my benches. I squatted 130x5, benched 114x3 oops it was supposed to be 117, and rowed 83. I also did more dips and tri extentions with fat grips. Wooo.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Impressive weights, ladies! :drinker:

Finished my first week with 5/3/1. Today was bench day. Thankfully I found a weight to calculate my weights for me because all the math was hurting my poor little brain! :blushing:

Bench: 1 set 5 reps each of 75, 85, and 90 lbs. That was after the 3 warm up sets. A lot of benching. I wore a wrist brace since it's been bothering me and it felt good. Skipped the dips and chins again and used the little handle thingies (name is escaping me) to keep my wrists straighter during push ups.

Seated rows (machine): 70, 80, 90 lbs (5 reps each)

Pushups- 30

then some ab work.

I ran 1.5 miles and walked 1 mile tonight also.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    So much awesomeness in here! Strong women rule!

I had to squish benching and squatting together today - I predict full body DOMS in two days. :smile:

Wendler Squats:
    1x5@135
    1x5@155
    1x5@180 - This was all I could eek out - after a two week break from heavy squats, these were not great and required every ounce of my concentration. Sigh.
    5x15@90 leg press
    5x10@35 good mornings - I could probably do more, but I was worried about starting too high and not being able to walk tomorrow. :smile:

Wendler Bench:
    1x5@80
    1x5@90
    1x7@105
    5x15@20 dumbbell press - I could probably do 25, will try that next week
    5x15@20 dumbbell row - I did these two armed until the last set, because my left wrist was getting wonky. I think next time I'll try it at 20 again.

And then I had to sit down and muster up the energy to go stretch. Cardio today will be mowing the lawn and scraping the grime off the inside of my house (I hate cleaning). Have a great weekend, all!
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    Kira I recommend grassfed chocolate milk before lifting. It always makes my squats and deads great. =D
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Kira - I'm tired just reading that!!! I think I may look at 5/3/1 once I'm past the competition in November.

Amy - Conrats on the increase on both of the lifts!!

B day for me:

Squats 5x5 @ 120
    OHP 5x5 @ 65
    Dead 1x5 @ 135 and 155 and then 1x7 @ 155 - was taking a page from Kira's lifting and I got 7 before my grip failed. I decided to try and keep a standard grip until I can't do 5 reps without a mixed grip. I'm trying to strengthen that up as well.

I'm back on travel for the next two weeks, but I may try to hit the gym on Monday before heading out of town in an attempt to keep up the momentum I got over the last two weeks. If I was staying home or could find a gym close that had a squat rack, I would be on pace to be squatting 150 by the end of the month. I am a little disappointed, but I've had smoother progress this time than when I was trying to work with a sore hip flexor so I can't really complain too much. My numbers are good and my form is holding pretty well.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Awesome numbers, Kira.

jstout- bummer about the travel!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    jstout - you are doing amazingly well considering how much you have had to travel. When I did the 5+ on my deadlifts, my grip is what gave out first, too. I've found I can do up to 165 for reps with an overhand, but anything after that has to be mixed grip. I really like the Wendler so far - although I don't recommend jamming two major lifts plus accessories in to one day. . .:smile:

Tree- I'm sure my daughter would LOOOOVE it if I started keeping chocolate milk in the house. :smile: I did have an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie with my smoothie this morning because we were running low on bananas - I may try to find a 'breakfast cookie' recipe, because cookies for breakfast.

I mowed the lawn today, plus did a lot of yard work and tromped all over Home Depot and the grocery store and my legs are screaming at me to SIT DOWN NOW, LOL.

Thanks Erin - Just trying to keep up with all you amazing ladies!
  • DaniH826
    Options
    So after watching an 11-year-old girl deadlift 100 pounds and a lady about my age bench press 250 and another gal heft about 6.6 times her body weight (altogether) ... I'm going to just shut up about my numbers.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • inkysmurf
    Options
    Ladies, high fives and cheers all round - every single time I come on here I just get so inspired by what everyone is doing & achieving ! :drinker:

So I tried a crazy volume thing today... so probably have asked for some advice... as I think this just looks a bit crazy!!!
    I do have the texas spreadsheet but can't make heard nor tail of it - thought I knew what i was doing...(nope)

anyway

Squats, 2x5@55kg/121lbs, 2x5@65kg/143lbs, 2x5@75kg/165lbs, 1x5@80kg/176lbs 1x3.5@85kg/187lbs - didn't get deep on my last one)
    OHP 2x5@15kg/33lbs, 2x5@20kg/44lbs, 2x5@25kg/55lbs, 1x5@27.5/60.6lbs, 1x3@30kg/66lbs
    Deadlifts 3@60kg@132lbs, 3@70kg/154, 3@75kg/165lbs, 2@85kg/187lbs, 2@95kg/209lbs

No accessories - and left my wee room feeling pretty shaky & sparkly... and barbell maths killed me!! had to actually use a calculator this morning, brain went to pot and just gave up...

Not 100% sure if I will manage a wee evil 8 this afternoon - will wait and see...

Absolutely knackered!
    Happy lifting. x