Super Strong Squatters - September check in and chat

Options

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    LOL yes Tree, you can say that here. :laugh:

I'm done with my squat challenge because at around 40 it starts to just get stupid ... back on that elliptical next week!

@3fold -- I wouldn't lift with bronchitis. Cold, yes. Bronchitis, no.

TGIF !!! Happy weekend y'all!!!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    @3fold -- I wouldn't lift with bronchitis. Cold, yes. Bronchitis, no.

TGIF !!! Happy weekend y'all!!!

I don't have Bronchitis anymore. That was in August. Was better for almost a week, got a bad cold that made mt stop lifting, I am a week past the last bad cold and slowly working back up. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and a , so I don't do much of anything when I am sick, though I have a bad habit of pushing it when I am not sick, because I know I will be sick again soon..and I want to do something.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    My form has _gone_ tits up, to use an English idiom (do you say that over in hand egg land?), do you mean that as a cue for "chest up"? I think I've over thought it all to the point of total confusion and it is so frustrating. That 45kg did not feel heavy, but my form just lets me down. Grrrr..
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Am at 215 pounds for my squats! Woot woot!

My deadlifts are at 165.

Upper body stuff? Not so impressive. LOL.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Am at 215 pounds for my squats! Woot woot!

My deadlifts are at 165.

Upper body stuff? Not so impressive. LOL.

Very impressive!! Amazing Squats!
    I had gotten up to 76 for awhile, but am down and stuck at 65 now.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Yay! Did my second set of lifts "post illness"
    I didn't go up, obviously, and my DL and OHP are low, but I was been over a month (and 2 bouts of respiratory yucky stuff) since I did those.
    My squats are below my PRE-sick weight (75#), but not by much, I did 65# today and last Tuesday)

Then I DEVOURED a Veg. black Bean Burrito Deluxe from Skyline Chili!

And am still HUNGRY!

mmmmmmmmskyline Confused why anyone would get anything besides a Xway/coney. Great now I'm thinking about skyline. Thanks a lot 3fold!

Veggie those are some great numbers!
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Lydia - any chance you can find a good lifting coach in your area? I have a friend stateside who has needed a coach to help her figure out squat form - she is tall and long-legged, just like you. You WILL figure it out - but it is so important that you are figuring out the form -good on ya!

Glad folks are doing well, lifting well, getting strong!

I used lifting this morning to purge my anger at a rascally raccoon who stole one of my chickens last night. Grrrr.

Wendler, week 2 - Squats
    1x3@145
    1x3@170
    1x4@190
    These were MUCH better than last week, but I still just scraped by on that last rep. I may just stay at this weight next cycle while my body acclimates to only squatting once a week.
    5x15 Leg press @ 90
    5x10 good mornings @ 45
    A wee bit of core work.

Then I got nice and sweaty cleaning up the mess in the coop, figuring out how the little booger got in, and making sure it wouldn't happen again. Grrrrrrr.

Have a happy weekend, all.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Oh, a raccoon... I just assumed it was taken by a dog! Raccoon is so exotic! I thought they were like possums and ate fruit! Still, the chicken wouldn't have been very happy, regardless of what was doing the murder. I hope your other chooks don't go off laying...

My dog was an evil chook murderer once. It was a crime of convenience - the "dog man" who was looking after her while we were away took her for an off-lead walk behind some houses. Appararently Biscuit discovered a yard without fences but with chickens... Goodbye poor cluck cluck...

Great lifting all. I miss it, but am getting "chicken" about getting back to it. I'm hoping to end my purchasing for the home gym sometime this week, and then I will restart my SL adventures... I have been jealously reading your progressions, and empathetically reading about squat problems. Soon I will have some contributions :)
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    I recorded every set, will post a couple of samples in the sticky.. stuck at 40kg squats, 27.5kg OHPs and 60kg Deadlift. Plenty to fix so all advice gratefully received!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Oh, a raccoon... I just assumed it was taken by a dog! Raccoon is so exotic! I thought they were like possums and ate fruit! Still, the chicken wouldn't have been very happy, regardless of what was doing the murder. I hope your other chooks don't go off laying...

Raccoons eat everything! We have to keep our garbage cans tightly closed, or they'll get in to those and make a mess. I had to google (on a Sunday!!--I don't like learning on the weekend :tongue: ) the difference between Australian possums vs. American opossums (which we also call possums). Yours are much cuter.

I forgot to check in with my weights on Friday. I did workout B.

Squats: 172.5lbs 3x5
    I don't have my notes with me, but I think these were mostly ok. On the last set, there was some tilting to the left and weaving back and forth at the bottom.
    OHP: 72.5lbs 4-4-3
    :grumble:
    Dead lift: 205lbs 1x5 ---- PR and impressed the little dude doing endless bicep curls. I promptly went home and ate. A LOT.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Wow ladies lots of impressive figures happened over the weekend!

My Friday session followed by dog walking, followed by 8 hours in work then riding my motorbike for 3 hours to the caravan broke me. I spent most of saturday curled up in the corner, alternating between snoozing and snacking lol!

Today I was on workout A,

Squats I have increased the weight a little, been trying to work on form but for me to really feel my form the weight has to be taxing enough but not so much that my form is just poor. So first time at 37.5kg (83lb). I tried to tell myself that there was no discernible difference, um there so was :laugh: I can't even lie to myself. Kept my form and did my 5*5 though. Sometimes right down at the bottom (they are all a2g) I feel like I am pulling the bar down as if I am using it to pull myself up - sounds weird I know but it's the only way I can explain it. Also, I find of every set my best ones are 2 and 3 always. Definitely felt the difference in needing to engage my core to get these done.

Bench press, went up again this time at 27.5kg (60lb) I know it's not a lot but I could only do 4*5 my last rep on my fourth set almost did not make it all the way up. I will work it again Friday and see how I get on, it's not a form issue, it really just is a lack of strength.

Rows, I have gone back to barbell style. It's just personal preference and I want to get fitter, stronger is a bonus. I want a more sculpted body I am not so bothered what weight is on the bar. I did 5*5 at 35kg (77lb) a little less than my Pendlay attempts but I feel like I get more of my core worked this way.

On the subject of form and goals. When I OHP I really reach at the top. I do this because I watched a form video (rippetoe or scooby or someone like that) the guy spoke sense and some of it clearly went in. He said something about it being really important to reach at the top so that.... So I reach, thing is I don't want a big chunky neck and I am pretty sure the muscles at the side of my neck that join it to my shoulders are the ones responsible for that reach and now I wonder if I might be better off not reaching so much. Either way I shall increase my weight there on Wednesday - slightly nervous as my extra set last Friday very nearly resulted in me being bopped on the head on the last rep, it went up - just, but it came down a bit quick :noway:
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    well done for not bopping yourself on the head!

re coaches - I've had a look and the nearest weightlifting -club- to me is the other side of Oxford.. 25 miles away.. so I've emailed them to see if they know of anyone more local. Ironically there is one near where we -used- to live. Hindsight and all that lol!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies...

I am back in action... Deloaded to work on form and things are going better this time around.
    Row- 70 lbs
    Shoulder Shrugs- 95 lbs (I did my barbell math wrong and wounded up lifting a lot less than I thought I was. :laugh: )
    Deadlifts- 120 lbs
    Squats- 100 lbs
    Overhead Press- STILL 55 lbs and I only do 3 reps and 5 sets. I hate this lift. :angry:
    Machine Crunches- 75 lbs :bigsmile:
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Roxy - I wouldn't worry over much about developing ginormous traps (that's the muscle that runs from your neck to your shoulders). Unless you are an extreme genetic outlier, taking steroids, and/or eating at a huge surplus, you just aren't going to make that muscle 'big'. And that final contraction, where you lock out, is where much of the work of the lift is done. It's purely anecdotal, and all our bodies are different - but my shoulders actually look **more** level and less slopey since I started lifting.

Lydia - isn't that always the way? Hopefully they will know somebody close by. I wouldn't want to drive all the way around Oxford either (having done it years ago) if I didn't have to. Especially with British petrol prices. :smile:

Random - sounds like you are back to a good start. And every time you curse the OHP, just remind yourself that you are pushing 55 pounds over your head. 15 times. That's pretty damn awesome.

Wendler, week 3
    OHP
    This is the 5/3/1 week of Wendler, and I wanted to rip it up. But sometimes that just doesn't happen.
    1x5 @65
    1x3@70
    1x3@80 I went for the 4th and it just wasn't happening. I spent most of yesterday holding my sick 40 pound toddler in my lap, and I know that messed with my neck/shoulders. Oh well - at least I did the work!

Dumbbell bench: 5x15 @25
    Dumbbell row: 5x15 @20

Then 15 minutes of intervals on the ARC trainer (like an elliptical but with a bigger motion).
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I just wanted to check I remembered that I should be doing it just not why!

We have ARC trainer type things where I go, I use them for a 15 minute warm up and despise every minute lol!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Random - sounds like you are back to a good start. And every time you curse the OHP, just remind yourself that you are pushing 55 pounds over your head. 15 times. That's pretty damn awesome.

Wendler, week 3
    OHP
    This is the 5/3/1 week of Wendler, and I wanted to rip it up. But sometimes that just doesn't happen.
    1x5 @65
    1x3@70
    1x3@80 I went for the 4th and it just wasn't happening. I spent most of yesterday holding my sick 40 pound toddler in my lap, and I know that messed with my neck/shoulders. Oh well - at least I did the work!

Dumbbell bench: 5x15 @25
    Dumbbell row: 5x15 @20

Then 15 minutes of intervals on the ARC trainer (like an elliptical but with a bigger motion).

Hope the baby feels better! Aww
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Had a crazy week last week and got off my schedule but hope to get 3 lift sessions in this week.

I'm still on week 1 of Wendler's 5/3/1

OHP:
    3x5 45 lbs (this was a warm up and I was supposed to start lower but didn't have anything smaller than a barbell)
    1x5 50 lbs
    1x5 55 lbs
    1x5 65 lbs

chin-ups 4 sets of 3 reps! I impressed myself! I really want to be able to do 10 in a row by Jan 1.
    assisted dips, 110 lbs 3x5
    planks
    kettlebell swings
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    all this talk of warm ups lol.. thought that was what the warm up sets were for! (ok, I just hate cardio THAT much, and don't like the thought of losing an empty rack while I'm warming up!) :)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    all this talk of warm ups lol.. thought that was what the warm up sets were for! (ok, I just hate cardio THAT much, and don't like the thought of losing an empty rack while I'm warming up!) :)

I do a cardio warm-up because I sit at a desk most of the day. If my job was more active, I'd skip it. 10 minutes seems like an eternity when you eye up everyone that walks through the door to make sure they don't take the rack before you! :laugh:
  • pintobean
    pintobean Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I finally started SL today! My quads were quivering after I was done. It is pathetic how after a 2 month break from any training my legs were shaky just from using the bar :grumble:

Workout A:

Squats = 5x45x5
    Bench Press = 5x45x5
    Pendlay Row = 5x65x5
    Assisted Pistol Squat = 2x6
    Elevated Plank = 2x30s

I am NOT a morning person. Today was day 1 of starting workout very early morning. Let's hope I stay motivated.

Not sure what to do tomorrow as I am still in the unpacking phase/no space to do much at home. So I might do a metabolic circuit.