Novermber in the Hatters: 30 days of 100% effort!

Options
Snooozie
Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
Good morning Hatters.. and welcome to November!

October totally sucked for me, so I for one am very glad to see a new month. Between my tooth problem, the virus that knocked me completely on my *kitten* for two weeks, and then falling on the stairs at work on wed (the day AFTER I finally returned to work) has left me battered, bruised and feeling like I'm never going to feel like me AGAIN!

But this morning I decided ENOUGH. I refuse to continue to feel this way, and have decided I will lose the woe is me attitude and start working towards getting bak to 100%.

This is the month before the frenzy of the holidays start to make us all worry in advance about how we're going to handle it. I think this month we should just completely NOT think ahead... live in the moment and with a little hard work, we can go forward fear free into the holidays feeling fabulous about ourselves!

We can do anything when we know it's for a limited time right??? So lets seize this month... all 30 days, and every single day, give it our all. No "cheats", no excuses, nothing but hard work and effort. We can do anything for 30 days.... and I'm not saying dont eat and enjoy life on the way, but if we indulge one day, we'll just up a few minutes of exercise..... or whatever works for each of you. m just saying if we give our all for 30 days we won't have to fear next month for a change, cause we'll be pumped and excited and thrilled with our progress this month!! and wouldnt that be a nice change??

So whaddya say Hatters - are you in for 30 days of giving it your best??

Hands up if you're in!

PS: I'll be catching up on all the posts from October over the weekend; thanks to everyone for the notes of support while I was MIA; was very much appreciated!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Sorry about your last month. Sheesh! They say these things come in 3's, so maybe that's it for you... Let's do this, one day at a time!
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I am in....sorry to hear about your horrible October, Snoozie...hope November is MUCH better for you xx

I need to re-motivate to lose this last 10 lbs. It's been nice "maintaining" over the last couple of months but a little too soon to be doing it!!

We live on Ashdown Forest (more like moor land than a North American "Forest"). I have my winter stomping ground...winter because in the summer they graze flocks of sheep and a herd of cows on this particular part of the forest. I dont like walking my dogs there off the leash in case they chase the sheep...or we get chased by the cows!!...so we stick to other parts of the forest during the summer months. So, today, first time back since April :-) It brought home a couple of things...a)..yup..it's winter again and b)...wow..that hill from last winter which seemed such a slog is a total breeze now :-) Then happily coming to the end of my walk....FREAKING COWS STILL OUT!!!!!......arghhhh...enjoy your Novemver everyone:-)
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Snoozie - You have summed up exactly what I have been living this last month. I have had birthdays, weddings, church socials all month but I have made good choices, stayed focused on my 100 or less carbs and 100 or more protein per day. I have lost 8 lbs this month just since Oct 20th. I have had some days of less than 1200 but over all the average is 1200 so I feel good about that. The protein keeps me feeling so full though I do have to watch and be sure I eat enough calories.

For all my wonderful ladies: (You know I have to sometimes write things out to understand my own thoughts, so here goes)

I know I will do better this upcoming holidays than years past and do not fear them. I am running into more and more people who knew me 2 years ago and do not recognize me now. My brother (who I have seen in June) did not know me in October. When I posted a picture of my husband and me at a friends wedding my niece and friend wanted to know who the woman standing with my husband was and my niece has seen me throughout the process but until she didn't see me for a couple of month is became very visual the amount of weight and the changes that my body has gone through.

I am feeling so much confidence (never in my life before). I notice a new difference almost daily in the reflect as I stand before the mirror. While I am not comfortable with cameras yet I am not hating them any longer. I am loving me not just who my body is becoming but my thoughts. I can see the hurt, anger, and meanness that I unleashed because of my hate of me and my life for so many years. I have found a new happiness that I knew existed for other but never thought I would experience. God have blessed me beyond and I am only sad that it took so long for things to finally click in my head.

I had been struggling with attending church for the last year. I didn't feel I was being fed, but felt a commitment to my church since I was part of the initial group that started it as a member. I had discussed with my sister and best friend (both who are there) but never acted on it. In this month I have found a new church family and I am so thankful that God guided me in this decision. My husband (who I had to beg before) has been attending and enjoying the church also and I am finally feeling at ease with God's plans for him. You have to understand this was an area he had ignored before we met and for that reason I have prayed and worried for his salvation and if I was being more of a hindrance than a support for him b/c I wasn't being as faithful as I felt I should have been.

Even as I have made this journey and learned more, I am only now beginning to become more aware and fully understand how everything is so intertwined and connected. I am just so thankful that I have such wonderful and positive supporters in this group that allow me to ramble my thoughts out.

Wishing a wonderful weekends to each, Tammy
  • 6swolcott
    6swolcott Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    both hands in air waving im in, not sure if its defeat or surrender lol, you are always such a source of encouragement so Im going to join you to encourage you, so for today im committing to 30 days of surrender
  • Snooozie
    Options
    10 WAS TO SHAKE UP THE EARLY WINTER BLAHS AND HAVE A HEALTHIER NOVEMBER

Winter is upon us here in the U.S. The days are getting shorter and the colds are getting meaner. This is commonly a time when we might start to pack on a few pounds or have trouble getting enough exercise.

Sometimes, switching up a daily routine or a common activity is enough keep from stagnating on our fitness and health journey. Here are a few life hacks – aka tricks, shortcuts, or novel methods to increase productivity and efficiency – that you can make to shake up those early winter blahs and have a healthier November.

1. Adopt a stair-only policy. For example, if there are 8 flights of stairs or less and you’re not lugging something particularly heavy, pretend elevators and escalators don’t exist.

2. Put a little less sugar in your morning coffee. If you’re a 2-packet cuppa joe kinda person, wean yourself down by half of a packet for a couple of weeks, and then a full after that. If you have a sweet spot for flavored lattes, ask for 1 or 2 less “pumps” of syrup. They’ll know what you mean. Over time your tastebuds will adapt and you’ll be able to enjoy your morning coffee with less added sugar.

3. Eat your veggies first. Of course we all immediately want to go for the slice of pizza, but if you get those veggies in first, you’re filling up on the most nutrient-dense foods before anything else and saving those delicious, less healthy foods for the end!

4. Order burritos with less rice and more beans. Beans offer more protein and fiber and will keep you feeling fuller, longer than rice!

5. Keep a glass of water on your desk and set a timer. It’s easy to get bogged down and dehydrated with work piled up on your desk. Setting a timer will serve as a reminder to take your last sip and refill your glass, and also give you a chance to get up, stretch your legs and log your water intake in MyFitnessPal.

6. Find a new fitness gadget like a Fitbug, Fitbit or JawboneUp. Trackers can help you keep track of your exercise and can even influence physical activity–for the better. You’ll be surprised when you learn it takes thousands of steps to go to the coffee shop three times before lunch.

7. Take public transportation this month. Walking to the bus stop to your office and back, up and down the subway stairs, and even standing on the subway will all burn additional calories and activate your leg muscles.

8. Pick up a motion control video game. Games that get you moving and grooving, like Nike Kinect and Wii Fit, may not be super high-intensity but they can be a decent alternative when the weather is bad, or there’s not enough daylight to exercise outside. Include the kids for some fun, quality family time.

9. Set a time to turn off your electronic devices. Getting enough sleep is crucial to overall well-being but being connected until bedtime can interfere with sleep. Turn off your TV, computer, or mobile device at least one hour before closing your eyes.

10. Walk & talk, or watch TV. On days when you just don’t have the energy to go for full-blown workout, take a walk while you catch up on phone calls, or cruise on a treadmill while watching a tv show on your mobile device. You’ll be amazed at how easy it is to crank out a 60-minute inclined hike while binge-watching your favorite series. This is one of the best ways of being active while feeling lazy.

So bundle up, batten down, and bust these moves to take the ‘No’ out of November!

Healthfully,

The MyFitnessPal Team
  • Snooozie
    Options
    both hands in air waving im in, not sure if its defeat or surrender lol, you are always such a source of encouragement so Im going to join you to encourage you, so for today im committing to 30 days of surrender

:bigsmile:

6Wol: So glad yr on board ...... I think we'll go with waving our hands with excitement and antipation of how great we are gonna do for the next 30 days instead of "surrendering lol. We are women, we ex cel at hard.....and I've got my big purple marker ready to count all the successful days on my calendar - it's gonna be a huge purple inked visual for me to see and celebrate at the end f the 30 days ! Pick Your fav color and join me??
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Patrice - I had to laugh when I read your post, because I admit this morning I thought to myself "ok, there's your 3.... it's over!" So glad you're aboard too!!

Tammy - Thank you so much for your post... it was amazing! I found myself nodding as I read some of the changes you have discovered in yourself other than the weight loss, and I especially related to the not liking myself bringing out the nasty side of me. I have found I am far more optimistic and postive as well now; to both myself and others. And like you, while I don't seek out a camera by any means, I no longer try to hide at the back or behind someone else! Thank you so much for sharing.....
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    images_zps6862fbf1.jpg

Count me in!!!!!
  • seehe
    Options
    Ok, I just had to laugh out loud today, several times actually, after my follow up visit with my doc concerning the neuropathy diagnosis. Throughout my life, I have never particularly enjoyed exercising, and even used to laugh and say I was allergic to exercise. But after being diagnosed with diabetes a year and a half ago, I bit the bullet and have been exercising regularly, but have been having a lot of pain in my feet. Trader Joe's electrolyte water ended up helping the pain in my metatarsal area significantly, but I was still having pain on the top and side of my right foot in particular.

Well guess what my doc things - that my neuropathy is actually CAUSED by my exercising! It is suspected that my superficial peroneal nerve gets inflamed and swells when I exercise causing it to be compressed or pinched, which then causes the tingling and pain. There is not a way to stop this if you have this reaction to exercise, so they do surgery to basically cut stuff to make room for the nerve when it swells and you are left with a small bump in your calf in the end.

I must have a wicked sense of humor, but this really gave me several good chuckles throughout my day, kinda like "I KNEW I didn't like exercising, and also that I can't believe I am considering surgery so that I CAN exercise, but actually I am kind of proud of the last thought because it shows me that I really am committed to optimal health which includes exercising ( unless I don't have the surgery cause then exercise is actually detrimental to my health lol). I need to have some blood tests to rule out other stuff first, but if the lab results show all is OK, then my doc is pretty sure that it is exercised induced. Who would of thought???? Crazy!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Seehee I sooooooooooooooo see the humor in basically the doctor confirming your long standing joke. What a great accomplishment to be considering surgery in order to continue exercise. Totally amazing. Thanks so much for sharing I needed a chuckle to start this morning.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Susan bet yr so glad they found the problem! And yeah slightly ironic or what???? Lol

Just checking in for day one of 30. Still too weak to exercise at all but ate very well; have never ever been in the position where I'm trying to Increase calories but with little sense of any taste and smell I don't have any desire to eat. On the plus side I've lost any cravings for sweets for the moment ! Today am working on getting more protein and vegetables.
  • seehe
    Options
    Glad you are taking care of yourself dear Snoozie - you deserve lots of TLC!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    images_zps6862fbf1.jpg

Count me in!!!!!

Love this Susan !!
  • harley051
    harley051 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great post and very timely. Just sitting here feeling sorry for myself. The whole 'woo is me'. Just the push I needed. As always thanks for the >>>>>>> push. Feel better and it's all up from here.
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    images_zps6862fbf1.jpg

Count me in!!!!!
    [/quote

2 days late, but count me in!
    ]
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Harley and BIs glad your in for the "100% for 30 days"!

How's everyone doing??
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Morning hatters.

Day two of my 30 days went well - a little low on veg but managed to get some good proteins and lots of water in. Did lots of chores so i know i burned a fair bit of calories around the house (still had to have a nap part way through the day but I'm listening to my body more and if it says nap I do lol.). While I wouldn't normally count housework towards calories burned, because I've been so completely sedentary for the past few weeks it definitely was an increase for me.

Today I will be doing a lot of floor scrubbings an disinfecting around here as my sister arrives here tues for her surgery on wed and I wanna make sure the place is free of any remains if the virus that hit me. My goal for day 3 is to have at least 2-3 veg.

How's everyone Doing with their 100% for 3o days??
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies, I am in for November! Late as usual but in.

Today I have to drive a few hours away meet my son, take him clothes shopping and feed him. He has a court date in the morning and I will be the one taking him. I hope for his sake that all goes as planned. If not then he will have to deal with the consequences. I spoke with my brother on Friday and for the first time in years it was him crying not me. I finally told him to stop there wasn't any point it wouldn't change the way I felt. Whew, that was FANTASTIC. I love him but refuse to be swayed or used by the emotions anymore. As for my son, I am trying to help him along and get him back on his feet the best I can but again after years of neglect I am doing it on my terms.

I have all of you to thank for that. I may be a slow learner but learn I do. You all have given me kind words and encouragement to make smart choices. I tend to fall off the deep end, wallow in self pity.....then pick myself up look at what I have been doing and then change my ways.

This month is mine to take! There are a few of you that haven't given up on me and I am eternally grateful. I am here and going to kick all your *kitten* in this challenge :)

Snoozie, do what you need but take care as well. We need you here!
    Tammy- I so enjoyed your post it hit home in a lot of ways
    Susan- I may need a refresher on how to post pics..lol if I don't use it I lose it :)

The rest of you ladies...let's do this
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Tonya - so thrilled to hear you have found the boundaries that work for YOU!! I know it's been a very tough go for you Abd I'm honestly so happy that you are realizing the amazing value of YOU. I firmly believe in never making someone a priority in your life when you're only an option in theirs!

Hope everything goes well with your son....and I think you have the absolute right attitude re facing the consequences of his actions if necessary. My nephew got in some major trouble a few year ago, the whole family kicked in time and money to save his future but sadly he walked away from his obligations and responsibilites and everyone who loved him and did Nothing but try to help him. As an adult (22) he has to make his own choices but we will no longer bail him out from his mistakes. Choices have consequences for all of us in every aspect if our lives. It's awesome you are wiling to help your son and I sincerely hope your son is smarter than my nephew and appreciates what your doing for him!

So glad you're in for the 30 days!!!
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Me too,....,Me too!!! I'm late getting to the party, but I'm all in!! I really think I can get it done, 100% all in...