November check-in and chat

Options

Replies

• cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Sheez, I was wordy on that last post... :blushing:

CC-I'm always interested in head/neck/shoulder placement. Where exactly did the trainer tell you to look? I try to keep neutral, but I'm not always certain I do.

Today was one of those character workouts. Didn't wanna, did it anyway. Went up in squats, so I'm at 80lbs 5x5 now. I'm using a stool as a box to make sure I get deep. Does anyone else do this?
    I think I've tracked my headache issue down and the culprit is bench press. I'm using DBs right now and I have a tendency to drop below my chest on my left side and pull on my traps. For heaven's sake. Gotta watch myself every minute.

NSV for me: I did 10 military pushups in a row--without having to stop and rest!! I'm very proud of that because it really upset me when I got too weak to do those after working so hard on them. I can't wait to get my pushups back in gear. :)
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Cheryl - I'm glad your body is responding well as you build back up - that's great!

I have been struggling with being exhausted, so today I decided I need to just back off, slow down and see what happens. So, no extra cardio unless I feel like it, making sure I always have a rest day between lifting (since I'm on a split, technically I can lift back to back, but obviously my body doesn't like it). Also, my 4 day split is just going to have to stretch over more than a week. Hopefully this will solve the fatigue issues.

Wendler Round 3, week 2
    OHP
    1x3 @ 65
    1x3 @ 75
    1x3 @ 85
    5x10 @ 45

Then I sauntered on out of there. :smile: And I tell you what - stopping when I did - I am VERY aware of how much work I put my shoulders through. I think the cardio I usually did on OHP distracted me a bit. I'll get it eventually - rest is when you get stronger!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Cpiton, I've used one of the step boxes my last two squat workouts to help make sure I get to parallel. It's really helpful!

Today's workout:

Squats 5x5 @ 55, 1x5 @ 60
    Bench 5x5 @ 50, 2x5 @ 55
    Rows 5x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 50

I was supposed to do 55lbs on bench press, but was barely able to complete 1 set, so I stayed at 50. DH came and spotted me at the end for one more set at 55x5. Rows were supposed to be 50, but I ended up staying at 45. DH was done with his workout and I:happy: was feeling a little rushed, so instead of compromising form, I just used the bar.

I've discovered I love lifting! Who knew? :happy: And squats. I love squats. I actually look forward to going to the gym! I've gotten more sure of myself and today I realized I wasn't the least bit intimidated by the man-cave bros. :smile:

ETA: Lydia, I have a pixie cut, too. Over the past few years, I've gone shorter and shorter. It's so much easier to take care of! When I first started getting it cut short, my DH wasn't too crazy about it, but he's gotten used to it. I guess I should update my profile pic.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    On leaving some guys were doing prowler sprints as part of a little circuit in the dark, rainy car park so had a little sneak peek as I've only ever seen it stood up in the corner. Yeah, I can see why it's such an effective conditioning tool!

I try and get box jumps and prowler/sled sprints in every week :) great for conditioning
    I was just going to ask if Prowlers sprints were the same as sled sprints....I have also used parachute runs to condition, but it has been a long time since!

And Lydia-
    The hair is adorable! I am always jealous of pixie cuts! They are so impish!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Did day 2 of my strong curves today

Dumbell OHP is hard, but I love what the OHP does for my arms they look so pumped from it! That was 3 sets of 8 at 8kg dumbells which feels much harder than 22.5 with a bar.

Only other lifting was 3 sets of 10 front lat pulldown at 23.5kg

The rest is still mainly bodyweight, in theory for 4 whole weeks. I may skip to the hard bits soon. That said the dumbell lifts are to build you up for the barbell later. Now I am pushing those and 8kg dumbells is pretty good for me so it will be doing some to help even out my upper body being a lot weaker than my lower.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Lydia-- I love your hair. It's adorable. If I had the balls to do it, I would. :flowerforyou:
    cpiton-- They didn't tell me how far up to look. I kept my eyes on the crease where the wall and ceiling meet. I noticed that during my workout today, I was having a hard time keeping my eyes looking upward. My tendency is to look at the crease where the wall meets the floor. I'll have to get into the habit of not doing that. :smile:

Texas volume day for me
    Squats: 150lbs 5x5
    Bench: 95lbs 5x5
    Deadlift: 195lbs 1x4---I missed the last rep due to grip and mentality. My hands were sweaty and I talked myself out of going for the last one.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Good news - going to the gym straight after work (that is golden with smallies)!
    Bad news - butt still feels tweaky.. should I just skip the deadlifts competely, do lower weight, what?!
    (and no dosh for physio at the mo.. boo!)
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Were they what triggered it or have they made it worse? If so yes I would skip. If not maybe carry on at a lower weight
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday lovies! "DOMS" has set in from my 1st A workout on Monday ;) My 1st B workout will be done after work this evening and definitely looking forward to it!
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Today was workout A. I used my chucks this time. I didn't notice much of a difference with the lifting but I am on low weight right now. I almost did the deadlift instead of the row again today but caught myself.

Squat 65lbs
    Bench 60lbs (It was supposed to be 65 but misread my notes from last week)
    Row 65lbs

I almost feel I am doing the row incorrectly but when I watch videos I feel I am doing it right. Sigh. I guess I'll check in with my trainer again next week. She wants me to use the smith machine but I haven't told her I haven't used it since day one. Wait I used it once for rows when the first time I did them. I also need her to tell me if I am actually getting even close to parallel because It doesn't feel like it and well I have a hard time watching myself in the mirror.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was a bunch of awesomeness I just read up in here. Y'all are doing fabulous! :flowerforyou:

I bought a pair of fat jeans today. Size 17. Yep. :noway:

Sigh.

Menopause is such fun. It doesn't seem to matter if I eat or don't eat, exercise or don't exercise, my body is just bloated all the time these days and all over the place on the scale even though my intake has been pretty stable. Awesome. LET'S JUST TAKE ALL THE RULES AND THROW THEM OUT THE WINDOW. HAVE A NICE DAY. :grumble:

I'm going to just keep lifting and ride this thing out. Hopefully things will settle eventually, and hopefully sooner rather than later because this is making me quite frazzled around the edges. :huh:
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    sorry about your challenges Dani, we all have them to look forward to I guess!

Gym was quiet on arrival but soon got busy!

Squats 65kg (new weight) 4,4,5 - I was working in with a couple of guys who were only warming up so didn't get that much rest. I'm still tipping forward on the way up so think I might drop down a little and concentrate on form on the way back up.

OHP 30kg 3x5 just realised I should have moved up *sigh* but these are a pig anyway so the extra practise probably didn't hurt..

Took the discretion route and didn't deadlift, though it pained me not to, so did some 10kg bent over dumbbell rows interspersed with 12kg kettlebell swings. I WILL do a pull up one of these days!

Home in time to hurry the girls to bed. Now to stretch out (the only thing I'm not comfortable doing at the gym!) and sit on a tennis ball I think..
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I did my session B last night. I'm so sad about my squat disability. My knees were too sore to even do bodyweight yesterday. :sad: So I did 3 sets of deadlifts instead! Haha, that'll show me :laugh: OHP is stuck on 20kg, but I have been doing push-ups beforehand (well, push-up progressions as I'm working off the bed end). Do you think they would tire out the muscles used in OHP? My PT tweaked my form with deads, so I dropped the weight down to focus on this. So I did 50kg.

I don't feel like I'm progressing, but then remember that I'm 47 and I can see better muscle tone in my arms, so just need to grin and be happy that I'm doing all I can to protect my bones from osteo in the future. Long-term gains, not short term! :yawn:
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    yes the pushups will tire your arms out for the OHP!

do you a deal, I'll do the squats and you do the deadlifts ok?

I forgot to mention, the guy I was working in with after my final squat set (when he 'encouraged' me to get the last rep, bro style!) was 'have you considered looking up'.. don't think he really understood my explanation why not!
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You ladies ROCK!
    So, I officially started! Workout A is complete ... 45lb Squats, 45lb Bench Press and 55lb rows. Were any of you lifting before beginning this program? I'm not new to lifting although I've been very inconsistent the last 6 months and before that I was pretty stuck at the weight I was using . The squats & presses felt light however I want to start from the beginning to be able to fully progress with the program. The Rows are going to be tough to increase.

Brandi :)

I'm on week 4 (I think?). I only discovered SL a few weeks ago, and had been unknowingly doing a modified version of it - my regular exercises but 4-5 reps per set as heavy as I could - for 2 months prior. Had pretty good results during that 2 months but liked the basic simplicity of SL so figured I'd try it for 12 weeks. :) I've been lifting for a few years, but nothing like I am now. Just the basic 3 sets of 12 and not getting out of my comfort zone. I LOVE what heavy lifting is doing to my body in such a "short" period of time. Geez I wish I had been doing this all along!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies

Meant to say this earlier Lydia I love the hair..I've done that too and it is sooo freeing...DH will get used to it. And the "Bro" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dani sorry about the "female" crap....seems we can't get away from it ever....:mad:

Work B for me today and to see if my leg will cooperate did an extra warm up set of squats, 2 empty bar, 2 @ 40lbs and 1 at 60...and lots of stretches...gonna try 120 tonight...wish me luck....ps I do have a dr appt tomorrow will see what she says and gonna email a physio friend of mine who liftsas well to see what he says.

So son is away all week, Husband is working so house to myself...cranking the music (Katy Perry Roar)and away I go

So squats again today

5x5 @ 120 (not the 140 I should be but better then not doing them) and rest periods are still 2-3 1/2 mins (3.5m between 4 and 5) and my leg is no worse for wear YAHHHHHHHHHH

OHP first attempt at 70lbs with new squat rack (see pic below) should be interesting
    5x5 @70 for OHP...wow I think the rack is gonna be a good thing most definately...prior to this I was picking it up from the floor for each set now it's right where I need it to start with ....:drinker:

DL 1x5 @ 180 today (is it wrong to shout and yell while alone in your home gym??? I hope not cause I did however I think it's time to increase my DL's by 5lbs a workout...holy....

Makes me think back tho when I joined MFP I was 178lbs....holy crap that's a lot of weight (and I had lost about 30 already)

I am about to max out my plates at home (well what I can fit on the bar anyway) time to go buy more....hehe :drinker:

The rack is a bit "unpolished" atm but for a 19 yr old welder (son) and a 31 yr old power engineer (Husband) it's pretty good and will just get sanded down and painted this spring but it does what it was built for...keeps me safe when they aren't here

IMAG0359_zps8e266245.jpg
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    note to self no yelling it scares the kittehs
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I climbed back on the wagon today. It's been a couple of weeks since my last workout, and it just sucks how quickly I have lost strength.

Today's stats:

Squat: 45kg
    Bench: 30kg
    Barbell Row: 40kg

Also added some knees to chest, my core isn't as strong as I would like it to be, which is causing issues as I am over using my back to compensate, and I have stepped up my riding so I need my core to be stronger to be able to improve there.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    note to self no yelling it scares the kittehs

This is killing me! Good to hear your leg is behaving! Also and obligatory NICE RACK!

I drink amish chocolate milk before I lift, and I think it's the secret to my success :drinker: Today I did more Madcow. I only have 7 workouts left plus a deload week before my meet. Nervous. Anywho I did Front squat 140 2x5, OHP 95x5 (got that last one yay), and DL 310x6 because the dudes in the gym told me I could do one more. Thus I did. :laugh: One of the guys that was there tonight has been lifting for several several years, both power and olympic, and he told me I had perfect Deadlift form. \o/
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    That's a very respectable home-baked rack!

Re: Core issues, I'm currently doing a modified version of AllPro's routine, going from 2x5 to 2x9 instead of 2x8 to 2x12, and it's working really well for me. I stalled pretty hard with rapid 5x5/3x5 progression because of a super-weak core and a busted up back, so now I'm taking things suuuuper slooowly. But it's coming along, and after years and years of neglect I'm really happy about that. After the last week of 2x9 I'm increasing the weights and starting over at 2x5, going back up to 2x9 over a 5-week span. It's a bit repetitive but it's got a built-in deload which I love, along with steady progression. To each their own, eh?

There are reports out there that many women do better with a slightly higher rep and slightly lower weight load, and I'm one of those women. But, any day under the barbell is a good day for me, so whatever program I'm following is only secondary, really.

Anyway thanks for listening to me gripe, time to turn the perma-PMS bus around and focus on getting happy once more. :drinker: