Starting Nov 1

Options

Replies

• Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    About to start this program next week...
    what weights are you starting with? Any rough guide appreciated :) I have only been using dumbbells so far for training, so am a bit clueless.

I don't have much upperbody strength so I've started pretty low. My shoulder press and lunges were done with only 8lb weights. My squat was 10kg weights on a small barbell (I don't know how much it weighs - certainly not like a regular bar). My guess is about 25lbs total. It seemed to be fairly easy so I'll likely up it by another 2.5kg.

I'm curious to see where others have started as well.
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have been doing lifting on and off, so I started a little higher:

Squats: Bar (45lbs)
    Rows: 30lb the first set, 45 the second
    Pushups: I suck so I do 45 degree angles... barely
    Step ups: 15lb dumbells

What I am planning on starting with for B is:

Deadlifts: 65lbs
    Dumb Bell Shoulder Press: 10 lbs
    Lat Pull Down: 45 lbs
    Lunges: 5-10 lb dumb bell
    Swiss ball crunches: add a ten pound plate

Hope this helps!
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Rest Day! whoop whoop - let's all say it together "aaaahhhhhhhh"

Ok... so I just started Monday and here were mine starts (keep in mind I am prior military - long time ago - so my strength is a bit different)

Squats: 55lbs
    Barbell Bentover Row: 45lb (just bar)
    Pushups: teehee - I got the game on this one.. all 15 regular (I am sure I will have to step it up to elevated or diamonds soon)
    Step ups: 20lb dumbells

Deadlifts: 55lbs (I can do 95 but my form sucks so working on it)
    Dumb Bell Shoulder Press: 12.5 lbs
    Pullover: 12.5 lbs (dumbbells)
    Lunges: LETS NOT GO THERE!! BW only
    Swiss ball crunches: LOL I forgot I was only supposed to 8 and did 20 - whoops - guess I need to add some weight next week.

Tomorrow is back to A so I plan on:

Squats: 65lbs
    Barbell Bentover Row: 55lb (just bar)
    Pushups: teehee - I got the game on this one.. all 15 regular (I am sure I will have to step it up to elevated or diamonds soon)
    Step ups: 20lb dumbells - not sure if I want to increment this yet - I am pretty retarded with anything lunging lol
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I hope you don't mind me chiming in...I've just started week 4, but there doesn't seem to be anyone chatting who is around the same, and you guys seem chatty :)

That's brilliant advice about the pushups clambert1273. I've been trying to get mine lower and lower; I started off pushing againts a bench maybe 2.5ft tall, and now I'm using one 1.5ft...and I'm still failing at a couple of them...can't do one off of the floor yet!

I just completed workout A5, which is where the sets increase to 3, and holly molly I noticed a difference.

Here are my results and stats so far if anyone is interested for motivation purposes...

START - Oct 28th

Squats: 55lb
    Step ups: 24lbs (12lb dumbells)
    Seated Row: 40lbs
    Pushup: 45 degree incline
    Deadlifts: 65lbs
    Dumbell Shoulder Press: 20lbs (10lb dumbells - really struggeled with this!)
    Lat pull down: 50lbs
    Lunges: 24lbs (12lb bumbells)

Weight: 189lbs
    Waist: 34"
    Hips: 44"
    Bust: 43"

NOW

Squats: 115lb
    Step ups: 50lbs (25lb dumbells)
    Seated Row: 80lbs
    Pushup: 30 degree incline
    Deadlifts: 75lbs
    Dumbell Shoulder Press: 25lbs (12.5lb dumbells - still weak!)
    Lat pull down: 70lbs
    Lunges: 40lbs (20lb bumbells)

Weight: 188lbs (down 1lb - gained 5.3lbs of LBM and lost 4.3lbs of BF)
    Waist: 33" (down 1")
    Hips: 42" (down 2")
    Bust: 43" (boobs haven't moved!)
  • Blueberry09
    Options
    Hey all, I hope you don't mind me chiming in...I've just started week 4, but there doesn't seem to be anyone chatting who is around the same, and you guys seem chatty :)

I'm glad you posted - it gives me confidence to know that I too will get to those weights eventually! Maybe in the not too distant future too!

I can't remember the other weights I was using. I know my highest dumbell weight is 12 lbs and I haven't used that for anything - yet!
  • mazmataz
    Options

I'm glad you posted - it gives me confidence to know that I too will get to those weights eventually! Maybe in the not too distant future too!

I can't remember the other weights I was using. I know my highest dumbell weight is 12 lbs and I haven't used that for anything - yet!

I have found the increasing weights is mostly in my head! Like when I increase I automatically think 'oh I'll never be able to do this, but I can always bring it back down when I find I'm struggeling', and then I end up completing the set just fine! It has been said before, and it's true...you are stronger than you think!

Good luck with the program!
  • Blueberry09
    Options
    Did A2 this morning. Week 1 done!
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Good work, ladies!!

Monday starts week 3 for me!! :)
  • candiceh3
    Options
    I had a week off to concentrate on a 10 km running race, so I'm starting week 4 tomorrow. I'm awful at lunges - anyone else???
  • pkrichar
    pkrichar Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Did B3 today completed week 2. DL 80, the rest 10lbs in each hand except crunches they were bw. Feels great.
  • pkrichar
    Options
    Yesterday's workout was effective. I am sore today.
  • firedupfriend
    firedupfriend Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Screwed!!!
    Damaged my LCL and MCL in my right knee. This happened about 5 weeks ago and I have been trying to push through it.
    Rest and Anti-inflammatory this week. Friday, x-rays and sonar.......
    This is a real bother as I have already had 8 arthroscopy ops previously.
  • clambert1273
    Options
    S1 B2 completed today.... upped alot of my weights (except lunges - those are the devil for me)... just tired today (no fault of the workout lol)

Let's rock it this week ladies! We should log on on Fridays and put our stats up :bigsmile:
  • pkrichar
    Options
    firedupfriend sending positive thoughts.
  • Blueberry09
    Options
    S1 B2 completed today.... upped alot of my weights (except lunges - those are the devil for me)...

I did B2 this morning as well. I figured out what triggered the pain in my achilles - lunges!!! Nothing else really seems to bother it except the lunges! (somehow every time I type lunges my fingers go lunches! Freudian slip maybe? :laugh: ) Not sure if there's an alternate to step lunges? I wonder if static lunges with the weights would be as effective but less painful?
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! I am starting today...again! If anyone wants to add a late bloomer!
  • clambert1273
    Options
    Lunges... you said a dirty word ....

@gomisskellygo - the more the merrier! Everybody is at all different stages here :) I didn't start until the 11th lol
  • mazmataz
    Options
    Yup I agree, lunges are really not my friend! I have crappy knees anyway so although lunges are probably helping strengthen the joint long term, it doesn't make them any more fun.

I usually end up doing walking lunges as it feels a little better on my knees. I was even thinking of getting knee wraps for these and for the squats. Does anyone have any lunge survival techniques??
  • clambert1273
    Options
    Yup I agree, lunges are really not my friend! I have crappy knees anyway so although lunges are probably helping strengthen the joint long term, it doesn't make them any more fun.

I usually end up doing walking lunges as it feels a little better on my knees. I was even thinking of getting knee wraps for these and for the squats. Does anyone have any lunge survival techniques??

Certainly not me (the most uncoordinated lunger in history :bigsmile: ). I have been researching online for good lunge form, which muscles should be working...

One thing that DID help me today doing them was a tip I got off a website. Step long (almost over exaggerate), make sure you are not on your toes (I have issue with that lol) and instead of bending the front knee just drop the back knee almost to the ground and your front knee will bend natural with it. I found that to work much better this morning.
  • calcote05
    calcote05 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Lunges kill my knees too! I have noticed that walking lunges really do make them more bearable!!!