SHARKS TEAM PAGE

Options

Replies

• nonnalynn
    nonnalynn Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The state of Delaware is 96 miles long and varies from 9 to 35 miles in width.

I'd LIKE to 'travel' the 35 miles across the widest part this week.
    That is 5x the distance of the 'Road to Emmaus'.
    It's 7x the distance from Bethlehem to Jerusalem.

Lofty goal, but that's my plan.
  • kristinc06837
    kristinc06837 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Howdy my fellow sharks just wanted to give a big shout out to the four in the top 10! how friggen awesome is that two weeks in a row! You guys are doing so great and I am so glad I have you guys to help keep me from just drowning my self in a tub of ice cream and sweets! because I have been trying slowly! Really gonna try and give a 110% this week as I need to pull my self out of this funk! :sad:

Here's to us!
  • jaajh
    jaajh Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    @ Nonna - I LOVE :love: :heart: :love: that you got so excited about surviving week 6 that you posted the summary for week 7 :bigsmile: THANK YOU for saving me a job :flowerforyou: I am ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED you got to stay in! I know you were prepared for the possibility of being eliminated, and you have a lot on your plate right now which makes last week totally understandable, but I just about whooped out loud when I saw you hadn't been eliminated! SO SO SO pleased you're still here with us! (Now just make sure you keep it that way :bigsmile: :bigsmile: )

@ Kristin - we are always here to pull you out of that ice cream tub :laugh: No need to drown in it :flowerforyou: Keep going! You are doing amazingly well at keeping on track - one day your little girl will be so proud of her mummy too :heart:

Only one thing to add to Nonna's superb summary: Yes, we need to do 25 miles each PLUS actual miles (so 28 in total) but as a team we need to be aiming for 32 MINIMUM each to hit team goal (and that IS counting Kristin, so if we want to give her a little break, we need to all aim for a little bit more than 32!) So set your personal goal for somewhere around that mark.

By the way, Nonna, I LOVE your mile goal :heart: I am going to have to go and goggle some distances now!

So it's the start of a new week, and although this image uses the word "day", we can easily substitute "week" in there :happy: :

mOuWRmh.jpg
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hey all, good luck this week! I had something positive happen that I think will help me this week-- a coworker who always had tons of candy on his desk was moved to another office! That means the temptation will be gone to just go over to his desk and munch. I'm really happy! Also, hoping that I can find some measure of success this week. I've been running so much that I think I've been eating to keep up...I need to keep up the running but not the increased food.

Positive thought for the day: every choice is an opportunity to be healthy! One step at a time!! Go Sharks!!!
  • jaajh
    Options
    I just put the following comments on my status and under my exercise update, but want to post it here too (with a little more info added!) to see what my Shark friends think.

I just used an elliptical machine for the very first time! (No gyms over here! But have an American friend who has one! In fact same American friend who is leaving:sad: and wanted to know if I wanted to use the elliptical. They are HOPING to come back to work here with a different organisation - but that would be after we leave - and so doesn't really want to sell her machine, but would like someone to take care of it and use it from time to time. I was having a little try out!) Anyway, I found it really hard! Much easier to run outdoors in my opinion! I run outside once a week, and (as you know!) exercise regularly, so why did I find this so difficult? I honestly nearly gave up SEVERAL times! And I never give up!!! (So I didn't :laugh: But SO tempted!) Different muscles used? Does it get easier? I only managed 30 minutes, and can run for almost an hour!

Also, when I put in 30 minutes elliptical machine on the MFP exercise page, it gave me 353 calories. I know the machine said I didn't burn that many calories! (Remember thinking it was low considering how tired I felt and how sweaty I was!) I didn't note what the elliptical machine said at the end (still a novice at this machine-lark! Will know better next time!) but I am sure it wasn't as high as MFP has it. Makes me think I might have been over-estimating calories burned if I have been using MFP as my guideline. Any else find that? And advice about how I therefore truthfully note my burns! Bearing in mind I can't just go out and buy a HRM here!!!!! Feeling like I might have been "cheating" a bit up to now if MFP overestimates so much. Or could it be that the machine was inaccurate? I did put my age and weight in at the beginning as it asked me to.

Any advice gratefully received!
  • pamcuster
    pamcuster Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Ali, I don't have a gym membership or equipment...I usually get to use some when we go to visit family (guest passes and such.) I don't remember thinking the elliptical was harder than running outside, just different. I know that I think the stairclimber is murder! (I had access to one during one of Sheri's other challenges on the week that we had to do stairs.)
    From reading people's experiences on MFP, I believe there are two major reasons that folks don't see the results they expect -
    1) They are over-estimating their calorie burn, whether from the MFP number or some other source (like you're asking about.)
    2) They don't meticulously weigh/measure their food intake. (Some can get by with estimating, but *most* people will report not losing weight and then admit to not weighing/measuring their portion sizes. Weighing and measuring takes all the guess-work out of counting calories...at least then if a person doesn't lose, they can put their attention elsewhere - like towards burning more...)

On that note, another question for our Sharks -
    Do you all weigh and/or measure all your food? And do you log every single thing that you eat and drink? I do, and it's very tedious! I've been curious for a while to know how you all go about your logging...
  • barkingbetty
    barkingbetty Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    What a great week for the SHARKS!! Yay!!

I wanted to reply to Pam's topic about logging. I measure and log every little thing that I eat, and sometimes that will stop me from going overboard. I am also paying more attention to serving sizes on packaged products.

Speaking of serving sizes, I wanted to share some information about serving sizes for fruits and veggies: A serving is usually four ounces (1/2 cup) of fruits and/or vegetables. Apples, bananas, etc. have a serving size of 1 medium piece of fruit. I found this information here: http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3970181

Knowing this, it should be easy for everyone to get in their 3 servings of fruits and veggies on 4+ days!

Have a great week everyone!
  • nonnalynn
    Options
    Ali. Check if your incline and resistance settings are high? Use the machine's burn when you can and MFP's #'s when you run etc??? You are not really cheating here if you use MFP #'s, but you may be cheating Ali!!!

Pam. I do not always weigh, but I measure most things. I bought a digital scale for 'new' items and when I am not sure due to variations like with meat and other nonstandard items. I even log spices and salt and such. I like to use the UNSTARRED items put in by MFP instead of member added because many times they have more measurement selections. Example bananas...MFP has choices like 1 cup mashed, 100 grams, 1 small, 1 medium, 1 large, etc. Member added bananas might just say 1 banana.

Thxoxo Melissa for the fruit info!

SUNDAY
    WORKOUT 20 minutes walking (124 cals), 20 minutes dancing (93 cals), 20 minutes cleaning Mom's house (94 cals)
    311 total cals, 60 total mins, 3 "miles"
    REPS 50 leg lifts, 50 bird dogs (each leg), 50 crunches (150 Total)
    SIT-UPS 20 in a row
    FLEXING 10 minutes
    FRUIT/VEGGIES 1/2c onions&peppers, 1/2c pumpkin, 1.5 bananas

5/35 Na Su
    5/60 Su (walk/clean 40 minutes together...dancing was separate)
    BH & GH yes Su
    1/7 Support Post (below)
    5/5 Smack Talk to Tigers

96ydxs7.jpg
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to say: YOU SHARKS DID AWESOME THIS PAST WEEK!!!! but watch out for those Dolphins, they want the top spot again!!!:wink:
  • pamcuster
    Options
    Good point, Melissa...*most of the time* it helps me not to overeat if I know I have to log it. Although there *are* those times when I just eat whatever I want, but since the challenge started I do still log even when I'm bad!
    I'm trying to have a few low-calorie days because I have a date on Tuesday with my Honey, and I know I'll eat heavier then than when I'm home...the woman who wrote "French Women Don't Get Fat" calls this 'compensation' - kinda making a trade-off. Hopefully this strategy will keep my calorie average reasonable for the week!

Anyway, here's Sunday:

workout: 60 minutes mowing/bagging...6 miles
    stretch: 10 minutes
    core reps: 50
    sit-ups: 20
    fr/veg: yes

I'm setting my distance goal at 42 miles; that's about how far it is from my in-laws' summer home in Centennial, Colorado to Boulder. When we visit them there, I *love* to go to Boulder, soooo....we'll see if I make it!
  • Sheri869
    Sheri869 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    2zjjj4m.jpg

:laugh: We are Just So Cute....everyone loves us!!! But don't be fooled by how adorable we are!!! WE ARE OUT FOR BLOOD!!!! Ready to get BACK On Top!!! :bigsmile:

160okfr.jpg

Still Love my fellow sharks!! :love:
  • fang19423
    fang19423 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Sharks are just fantastic .... well done to all who placed in top 10 individually. :flowerforyou:

Pam you bring up a good point about the logging. I do log everything but I'm afraid I am guilty of not measuring all portions ... I will aim to do better on this this week, and hopefully the scales will tell a better story. :drinker:

Ali, I'm afraid, I can't help you regarding the E machine , I have not bee a member of a gym in years :smile:

Sheri has really put it up to us again this time, with her miles challenge ... thankfully I got some in yesterday as well as some stretching, even though I did not read the challenge till this morning :laugh:

And now some stats :tongue:

SUNDAY - week 7

#1 WORKOUT MILES: 53 minutes circuit training (532 cals – at 10kclas pm this counts as vigorous activity so equates to 6.36 w/o miles), plus 40 minutes walking at 4mph and covered 2.6 miles. So total miles for Sunday = 8.96 (18.64 w/o miles and 0.4 walk/run miles to do)
    #2 REPS zero, SIT-UPS zero (400 core / 100 s/up's yet to do)
    #3 FLEXING 10 mins done (10mins flex x 4 days yet to do)
    #4 Personal: FRUIT/VEGGIES 6+ (3 more days to go)
    & Miles goal below:

I use to work in a place called Dun Laoghaire, and the commuting distance was 35 miles from my home - so I am going to aim to walk/run/move 35 miles this week.:glasses: (9.36/35 miles done)

WEEK 6 Poiints
    #1 Water: 35/35 pts
    #2 Sodium: 35/35 pts
    #3 Workout: 55/60 pts(M75,T96, W65,Th68,F47, S, Su93)
    #4 Bad Habit: 25/25 pts (5/5 days)
    #5 Good Habit: 25/25 pts (5/5 days)
    #6 Team Talk: 6/7 pts (M(Y)-T(Y)-W(Y)-Th(Y)-F(Y)-S(Y)-Su(N))
    #7 Smack Talk: - 5/5 pts - (Dophins)
    Total 186 points.

Sharks have to be the best team around :wink:
  • fang19423
    Options

@ Pam you have not stated number of fr/veg so have put you down for 3 on chart as that is minimum required - you can let me know if I need to up the numbers. :smile:
  • fang19423
    Options

SUNDAY
    WORKOUT 20 minutes walking (124 cals), 20 minutes dancing (93 cals), 20 minutes cleaning Mom's house (94 cals)
    311 total cals, 60 total mins, 3 "miles"
    REPS 50 leg lifts, 50 bird dogs (each leg), 50 crunches (150 Total)
    SIT-UPS 20 in a row
    FLEXING 10 minutes
    FRUIT/VEGGIES 1/2c onions&peppers, 1/2c pumpkin, 1.5 bananas

5/35 Na Su
    5/60 Su (walk/clean 40 minutes together...dancing was separate)
    BH & GH yes Su
    1/7 Support Post (below)
    5/5 Smack Talk to Tigers

Donna, I put you on chart for 1 walking mile and 2 w/o miles as it needs to be specified - so just let me know if that is correct. Also, are the points in your post for last week or are they a note for the coming week? Thanks.
  • fang19423
    Options
    SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE.

Just a little note for all, when logging your stats,

:heart: #1 please specify your workout miles and run/walk miles separately (once you have done your minimum 3 walk/run miles - all should be logged as workout miles)
    :heart: #2 please specify number of fr/veggies
    :heart: #3 don't forget to post your points for last week.

Sharks continue to rock this challenge - go sharks go :tongue:
  • nonnalynn
    Options
    POINTS last week a mere 25 for Bad Habit success....
  • jaajh
    Options
    Thanks for all your answers to my questions! I think I will say yes to looking after my friend's elliptical - it certainly made me work and maybe I will grow to like it :noway: I have no idea about the resistance/incline! Will have to get her to talk me through all that. I think she presumed that since I exercise regularly I was used to these things! I need to admit my total ignorance :blushing: :laugh:

As to the calorie burn, I try not to eat all my exercise calories back anyway (generally aim for about half of them - which might now, it seems, be all of them!) so at least I feel OK about that. I will though take Nonna's idea and look at the machine (once I work out WHERE to look!) for the burns on that and use MFP for the rest.

Thanks Melissa for that guide to measuring fruit and veg. - very helpful! As to Pam's question about measuring other things, I tend to measure most things (at least the first few times I use them) but now there are some things I can just eyeball since I eat them so often ( I know EXACTLY how much of a bagette is 2 oz just by sight! :laugh: ) And I do note everything - even the small fun size chew my son gave me from his left-over halloween stock from the American's Fall party! (Yes I have a son who, unlike his mother, knows how to ration our sweet things and make them last! And is STILL generous enough to share!) I am not sure that it really stops me eating it if I know I will have to log it, but it certainly makes me feel bad enough when I DO log an excessive amount of treats, and makes me behave better the next day! Nothing like being accountable to make you behave! And I am in total agreement with Pam that sometimes you just "need" to have that splurge, but you can then balance it out the next day. That "French women don't get fat" book sounds interesting - must look into that!

I have been goggling distances for my week's goal. I would like to aim for at least 36 miles this week (average of 6 a day). Can't find a village exactly that distance from here (or half that if I want to go there and back)! I could "go" to see my sister-in-law's family in Baramba, but that is only 28 km away (about 34.5 miles, not quite my 6 miles/day average I want), so perhaps I'll go there and take a tour around the village at the same time :laugh: , OR maybe I'll push myself and pretend I'm back running in the UK (infinitely more pleasant in terms of temperature, and less likelihood of everyone staring at the strange white woman who thinks running is sensible!) In 20 miles I could go from my parent's house to my Nan's in Reading, so there and back would be 40 miles. Can I do it? We will see!

And on that note, here is my motivational image for today:

kBtoRge.jpg
  • jaajh
    Options
    SUNDAY:

WORKOUT: 30 minutes of circuit training and 30 minutes on elliptical. I didn't look at the actual miles done, so I am counting this as a total of 60 minutes of vigourous exercise. I think that equates to at least 7 miles? Someone please confirm this for me! I calculated it as 50 minutes = 6 miles, and then I have 10 minutes left over, which even at a non-vigourous rate would be 1 mile. Is this OK?
    All these miles were workout, not actual.
    (Another 29 miles go to to get to see my Nan and back to my parents :bigsmile: )
    Calories burned (according to MFP!) : 687

REPS: Did 50 sit-ups and 50 other core reps (reverse crunches)

STRETCHING: Did 10 minutes (10 minutes is LONG :noway: )

FRUIT AND VEG: 3 (pumpkin, tomatoes and banana - not all at the same time :laugh: )

SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE!
  • jaajh
    Options
    Oops! Forgot my week 6 points!

#1 Water: 35/35 pts
    #2 Sodium: 35/35 pts
    #3 Workout: 60/60 pts(yes, got in my 60 minutes on 6 days again :happy: )
    #4 Bad Habit: 25/25 pts (6/7 days)
    #5 Good Habit: 25/25 pts (5/7 days)
    #6 Team Talk: 7/7 pts
    #7 Smack Talk: - 5/5 pts - (Dolphins)
    Total 192 points. - another full points week :bigsmile:
  • pamcuster
    Options

@ Pam you have not stated number of fr/veg so have put you down for 3 on chart as that is minimum required - you can let me know if I need to up the numbers. :smile:

Oh, yes, just three...apple, raspberries, and broccoli.

And for points:

#1 Water: 35/35 points
    #2 Sodium: 35/35 points
    #3 Workout: 55/60 points
    #4 Bad Habit: 25/25 points
    #5 Good Habit: 25/25 points
    #6 Team Talk: 7/7 points
    #7 Smack Talk: - 5/5 points

Total: 187

And, Ali, I agree that ten minutes seems like forever when you're stretching!!!