November check-in and chat

Options

Replies

• rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    He suggested I put plates under my feet to be able to press through my heels instead of toes while bench pressing, and it made a huge difference. I'm a shorty, so I guess I need those cheats.

Debress, I started putting plates under my feet, too and find it helps keep my back arched and shoulders down. The thing to remember though, is the bench press should work your shoulders and chest. When you push with your feet and legs, it uses different muscles. I feel it in my core the most! Im no expert, but when I was watching form videos on YouTube, I came across one that discussed the difference in using your chest vs legs/core to lift the bar. They didn't say there was anything wrong with using your legs, just pointing out that you're using different muscles than the BP was designed to use. It definitely helps on those last couple of lifts, when it takes all you've got to get that bar up, though!

Good luck! It sounds like you had a great workout!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    you definitely use your legs for bench, and if you are short some benches have drop down little steps to put your feet on (I'm tall so no issue!). You should be tight as in all the lifts - through your butt and legs too. Your butt shouldn't come off the bench, and if you imagine that you are trying to push yourself -along- the bench so your head falls off, that is the right direction (not up). Take your deep breath for the valsalva maneuver (a fancy way of saying hold your breath like you have constipation!), and keep -tight- throughout the move. your shoulders should be pulled back as though you are trying to squeeze a pencil between your 'angel wings' (whatever those bits are called -scapulae?) -throughout the move- too. I will try to get two to three reps out before pausing at the top for a breath. Pausing at the bottom is better left til after linear progression!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    He suggested I put plates under my feet to be able to press through my heels instead of toes while bench pressing, and it made a huge difference. I'm a shorty, so I guess I need those cheats.

Debress, I started putting plates under my feet, too and find it helps keep my back arched and shoulders down. The thing to remember though, is the bench press should work your shoulders and chest. When you push with your feet and legs, it uses different muscles. I feel it in my core the most! Im no expert, but when I was watching form videos on YouTube, I came across one that discussed the difference in using your chest vs legs/core to lift the bar. They didn't say there was anything wrong with using your legs, just pointing out that you're using different muscles than the BP was designed to use. It definitely helps on those last couple of lifts, when it takes all you've got to get that bar up, though!

Good luck! It sounds like you had a great workout!

Exactly! You should decide (general you here) what your goal is before deciding how to bench. The "so you think you can bench series is great for those who's goal is lifting the most weight, but in the first video he asks the guy he's teaching what his goal is. Just re watched this so it's in my head. Lol.
  • debress
    debress Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will look up the Youtube videos, for sure! My goal is to build strength, and I've never had much for upper body strength. But anything that improves my overall core strength is good too.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies

Boys/men are out at a meeting this evening so again house to myself, music blaring doing my workout.

Back at workout B today

OHP @ 75
    First set was tough...ick, rest went well

I watched a form video today on the Eat train progress group to make sure I was doing them right...I think so based on arm placement etc but I am really looking forward to my session with the PT

DL are at 185 tonight (choice not to go up 10 tonight and just go up 5) as I don't want to push it too much with my leg.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Be careful with those deadlifts Stef - but in the case of annoyance - choose the cussing option!
    on all the cussing (especially saving them up for a special deadlift @scrappin') I will have to study some Dexter episodes and take tips from Deb - she has the best pottymouth!

I'm like @RoxyLola at the moment with loving DOMS have pretty much been in constant upper or lower body pain the last week or so - even though technically I am still not on a 'plan'. My trainer is pushing all strength options but I am not actually following a program yet.

Lydia - I saw a video of Scooby doing a how to do pull ups thing and he calls the getting on something starting at the top and slowly lowering for chins/pull ups a "walk the plank" . But pretty much recommends a few phases on the way to full chins and full pull ups. (Seems like you figured that out on your own anyhow)

Brandi I have heard a stand up comic not so jokingly refer to having a mammogram like smacking your boob onto the concrete floor of a garage and then having someone drive over it and then reverse back over it again. So I don't think I would like that either. (eek)

I need to use stuff under my feet too for the bench 5ft2 here.

So my last 2 sessions with PT went well.
    I managed squats with 27kg (to a step that I set up but had trouble getting that deep, PT set it one level higher for my last set) - Doing 10-12 reps for most of the stuff with her though. I also clean and press but not from the ground - from set position to below the knee and then back up again - RDL press? Wow did those hurt. And I have totally forgotten what we did first up in that session. (DOMS set in after my c25K session the next day)

Yesterday was crazy and my poor arms hated it so much I could barely sign my name afterward (PT called it boxers arms where you kind of lose fine motor control for a few minutes). We super setted with dumbbell OHP with 7(then 9)kg dbs then went straight into push ups (on knees). Then super setted db bench press (my poor weak left arm cried); inverted rows under the bar (smith machine) ; then single arm rows with 9kg dbs and then just to make me sweat a bit more had to push a sled bag by sitting against it pushing with my legs and then push forward (could barely get it moving had to have help to start the momentum) across the boxing class room (only managed 2 of that each way).
    I swore a fair bit at her, but damn it felt great after!

I received my hard copy of Starting Strength in the mail yesterday (previously had a pdf version) so will be able to read better and see if I need any more tuning on the moves I have been doing. I have splits tomorrow am and thursday am with the PT we are doing lower body wed and upper body thur. My legs already feel like lead from this mornings c25k but I know I will survive whatever I get put through tomorrow.

Oh... my gym sold their squat rack (yep the one I signed up on the basis of!) but I have been promised they will get a new one in the new year. That better mean January. - I have heard though that another branch has one, so I may be able to go there for a while, while I wait even if it does totally screw with my schedule.

Ok I'm going to stop dribbling now. Keep awesome strong tough women and look after all the owie bits like you are supposed to!
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Wendler Week 3- deadlifts with hanging leg raises and good mornings.

Went pretty well- max lift 165 X 4. Not bad. I held back putting my max DL in the calculator because I want to keep good form and make sure I don't tweak my back again. So 165X4 was pretty good.

Trying to tune up my macros again. Going for 125g of protein which is not so easy without meat and being careful of fish because of the mercury content. Luckily, I tolerate dairy pretty well.

The gym that I belong to is gigantic and they have….ONE rack. Yes, one. So I feel your pain. They recently closed the 'women's only' area. I suggested they get another squat rack for the space and they were very dismissive, maybe because I look more fat than I do strong. In the end, they put in a boxing ring which is always, always empty. They have another entire room of bags and so one for boxing and for kickboxing classes. Sigh.
  • norrishbex
    norrishbex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I wish that the SL app would be fixed! I can't change the weight on it and it is driving me nuts!

Workout B completed this morning. Because I had a bit of a break (well, lost motivation/discipline/will power) for a few weeks, I have scaled it all back a little.

Squats: 50kg 5x5
    OHP: 20kg 5x5 - this is my nemesis lift. It's all linked to the imbalance between my back strength and my abs strength. My back is super strong in comparisson to my abs, but I am working on fixing that! Lots of knees to chest and planks!
    Deadlift: 65kg 1x5 - I started at 40kgs, then just kept adding 5kgs until the last 2 reps of the set were hard, then I stopped. So Just shy of my body weight.
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I wish that the SL app would be fixed! I can't change the weight on it and it is driving me nuts!

It's driving me nuts also!!!!! So frustrating!!!!
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hi all:

I also have to put plates under my feet for benching. (I'm 5'2.5) It makes such a difference.

Today's weightlifting awesomeness went as follows:
    Squat 90, Bench 45 BB/15lb DBs, Bent Over DB Rows 25lb DB (all 5x5)

Still working with light dumbbells on upper body just to keep myself even. I got under the oly bar today on the last three bench sets and it was super easy, so that was encouraging. First time I've done that in 3 months. I might try Pendlay Rows again next time they come up. We'll see. Squats are still fairly easy. Can't wait to hit some resistance on those.

My 14 yo asked me to teach her the back squat. She squatted the bar easily and actually has natural good form. We'll see if this sticks. She usually peters out on me after a week or so. Teenagers... :)

@6550mom: How do you get in that much protein without eating meat? I'd like to cut back on meat a bit and I could use some ideas. :flowerforyou:

@Qski: I didn't know they called that boxer's arms. Sometimes my arms get all goofy after a heavy bench. Now I have a name for it! :drinker:
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You all move too fast! I can't keep up!

Cheryl - Even if she doesn't stick with it now - she will not be scared of the bar later in life, if she decides to have another go - and that's a pretty awesome gift, in and of itself.

To those of you nursing injuries - give yourself time to heal!

To those who have less-than-stellar lifting days - It happens to everybody. Try to figure out why, but then move on. For me, it's almost always connected to not-enough-food or not-enough-sleep.

Lots of awesome sauce in here!

I combined my last lift of week 2 of Wendlers with my first of week 3 yesterday so that I could be done with this cycle by next week, and spend the week of Thanksgiving as my rest week.

Squats - week 2 (cycle 3)
    1x5 @160
    1x3@ 180
    1x4 @ 205

I was pretty noisy on my last set, and this guy walks up behind me, mid-lift, and asks if I need a spot. Yeah, buddy, sure, grab that 205 pound bar off my back. Jeesh. I just grunted out "No thanks. Just noisy." and finished out my set. I know he meant well - but if I looked like I was working hard - IT'S BECAUSE I WAS. Sigh.

Leg press
    3x15 @90
    Back extensions
    3x10 @ 10

Then, OHP, week 3 (cycle 3)
    1x5@70
    1x3@80
    1x2@90
    On my second press of the last set, I felt a muscle twinge behind my right shoulder blade. I had another one (possibly two) in me, but didn't want to do any damage, so I stopped. I was bummed - because I *think* I have finally figured out the form for the OHP. It was really clicking, my lifts were strong and fluid, and nothing felt awkward. I'm still sore this morning - but thankfully no sharp pain, so I seem to have avoided anything major. I'm not really sure what caused the tweak, as my form felt fine. I won't do OHP again for 2 weeks, so it's all good.

3x10@70 assisted pullups and dips

I have also embarked on a somewhat scary attempt at intuitive eating. My hunger signals have been really clear, and I have a good handle on how much I need. But things are super duper crazy right now, so I need to simplify something. As long as I keep seeing the crazy good recomp that has been going on, I'll keep on keeping on. Wish me luck!
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    I've got the physio tomorrow after work, and as I've been feeling pretty ok (no pain, just an awareness of it), thought I'd do a bit more tonight so I've at least got something to talk to them about!

When I got there one of the brothers who runs the place was doing some crazy thing similar to the GHR but without equipment (other than someone to hold his ankles) but got his assistant to show me how the GHR machine worked. Had a go. Yeah, that wasn't happening and boy did my hamstrings feel bunched up! Fun to see what is available (I had a peek in one of the buckets and it looks as though they have an ab roller too.. in my dreams, but nice to see it's an option!).

Built up my squats to where my lower back felt hot and tight so 5 reps each at:
    20kg
    20kg
    30kg
    40kg
    50kg think the bar path is looking better, still fighting the knee slide tendencies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_5sQZGk2z8
    55kg

OHP 32.5kg
    3x5
    BOOM!
    However I've been here before (several times) and it's always been my nemesis, haven't got past it. Be interesting to see! Felt like the hip wiggle was a bit better at the lower weights but still a grind at the higher ones. A couple of really fought for reps the last couple of sets but I was.not.putting.it.down.before.I.got.it.over.my.he ad.
    Thankfully the gym had about half a dozen people in it so not too ego bruising!

Tried the same methodology on deadlift, adding weight until things felt tight so 1x5 at
    30kg
    40kg
    50kg
    60kg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amolsx5S7tY
    The weight felt crazy light so concentrated on form, got complimented on it by a rehabbing boxer (detached tendon in bicep recently reattached - ow!) but frustrated to decide that discretion was the wise option after 60kg. that hundred kg deadlift seemed so close only a few weeks away!

Finished with some more walking the plank type pullup and chinup negatives, and tried to hold the top position too - ok for a moment on the chin but wasn't happening for the pullup. Hate feeling like such a weeeed!

Had an interfering moment too, one guy nearly nicked the bar I was about to use for squats while I was talking to the owner (who called him on it - I'd have happily wandered around and found a different one as I hadn't started). He then realised he'd met me in the context of agency meeting HR dept and we had the usual gym chat between sets. I was resting while he was doing a deadlift set and just couldn't stand by and not say anything. I did apologise for interfering, and asked if he had ever filmed himself.. no.. but he said he 'never' deadlifts and 'was feeling it in his back' and 'knew he used his arms more than his legs' (for some reason not having any cartilage in his knee was the issue?!) so I briefly ran through the setup.. they of course immediately stopped deadlifting and went over to the machines on the other side of the gym. Bad Lydia!
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Lydia, He probably just felt ashamed at being called out on form and then corrected by a woman. Especially after being busted stealing your bar! It's not your problem, he's being a duffer.

After managing 3 SL sessions last week, I can't fit in 1 this week! I'll get back on it next week. This has been my pattern right from the beginning! Oh well, I've had some great bike rides this week, a couple of different styles of exercise, a game of tennis so I'm not exactly blobbing around!

Great going everyone. You are all kicking *kitten*! :drinker:
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Skipped Sunday's workout as I felt lousy, I think it's when I work my weekend, I'm always more tired than usual.

Numbers today were same as last week, but OHP was slightly improved.

Squat 125x8 135x5 140x5
    OHP 65x7 67.5x4 70x3…thought I might make 4 but it just.wouldn't.go.
    Deadlift 175x4 180x3

And yes, to everyone who had a "bad" workout…they happen. Life happens and so do workouts that don't meet our expectations. Remember, you're awesome for just trying!
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Morning awesome ladies!

So hard to keep up but yes I agree with macybean, life happens so that means you will have bad workout days. Just go back in the next time and it will be better. No worries. Remember Failure is Success. Just getting in there and doing it is a success in itself.

Had my trainer this morning. She met me at the rack. I was warming up and she was watching my form. Turns out that I naturally try to keep my left foot just a smidge father back than my right foot. We worked out how to tweek my position while as soon as I stepped back. That slight foot movement made ALL THE DIFFERENCE. Now I know why my left leg was feeling sore, I was slightly out of alignment.

We also worked on my OHP and Deadlift. Dropped the weight on Squat and OHP so really work on form but it wasn't much. I tend to try and keep my left arm in more on the OHP. Seems it is a problem I have developed. I just have to pay attention closely and then I'm sure it will be habit in no time.

I have been doing the row in poor form so I am going to move to dumbbells for a few workouts and then try the bar again. I am not getting a straight back. I can do a solid stance while standing but bent over I tend to lose it so I have to work on that. I'll get there in no time. She told me my form on all others were awesome!

first two 5x5 and then 2x5
    Squat 75lbs (had to drop back down to really work on form)
    OHP 50lbs
    Deadlift 60lbs

I think I need to go up in deadlift but it scares me. She did tell me that the heavier it gets the better the form tends to be because the weight actually makes you take the right position. My form she said was good but I need to snap more. I knew this but just having someone else tell me just means I need to work harder on it.

And then in the locker room the regulars told me they were impressed with how quickly I get ready. LOL. I don't do anything special but all I do is shower, dry, dress, apply face moisturizer, comb and blow dry my hair. I don't use product or make-up so that cuts my time in half. I am lucky and was blessed good skin so I rarely wear make-up. It is a special occasion kind of thing for me. Hell even then I tend not to wear it. But I digress.

Happy Wednesday peeps!
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    vendygirl, on the basis that you are having to tweak your left side a bit in a couple of lifts it might be worth investigating a good physio/osteo/chiro to have a look at the back. You may have a small twist somewhere that could resolve all of this. Sounds like you had a good session with your trainer though

Feeling sore from my workout this morning already.

2 x 20 one leg glute bridges on each leg at bodyweight and 8x lat pull downs at 39kg and 1 set of 15/leg as I was feeling a bit done in, still with 8 39kg pull downs. It's the pull downs I am feeling now in my shoulder blades but I sneaked a look ahead in my program and I need to be doing negatives for pull ups in 2 weeks time so I need to push this bit hard!

3 x 20 step ups on to the bench followed by 6 dumbell OHPs with 10kg bells. Bit disappointed with this as last week I managed 3 x 8 at 8kg bells and I have OHP'd heavier with the oly bar but the whole last set was poor form really I was really struggling to lock out at all. Also I suspect I may be having a bit of a flare up of a tendon problem I have where they basically just leave me with a weak grip. It's not actual strength, it is just that sometimes I just can't hold something regardless of the weight of it.

Then some core work. Now tired and hungry lol
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Vendy, are you left or right handed? that might be a part of it too..

well done on some great workouts ladies!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    You all move too fast! I can't keep up!

Cheryl - Even if she doesn't stick with it now - she will not be scared of the bar later in life, if she decides to have another go - and that's a pretty awesome gift, in and of itself.

To those of you nursing injuries - give yourself time to heal!

To those who have less-than-stellar lifting days - It happens to everybody. Try to figure out why, but then move on. For me, it's almost always connected to not-enough-food or not-enough-sleep.

Lots of awesome sauce in here!

Yep, I agree!

Did w/o B today. I'm feeling better on the OHP this time around so maybe next time I'll actually increase the weight. We'll see.

Squat: 3x5 @ 100lbs
    OHP: 3x5 @ 45lbs
    DL: 1x5 @ 95lbs

I don't know if its because I took time off and my hands lost their calluses/grip but man DL was a struggle today (I got up ato around 130 last time). Each rep I reset my grip and tried a different way (over/over, over/under, then over/under opposite hands). Still trying to work on what feels best, but man my hands hurt afterwards!
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Awesome workout last night! I will never underestimate the power of rest days again! :happy:

Squats: 5x5 @ 65lbs, felt great, I didn't get to do my usual 1x5 at the next higher weight, "just to see how it feels", because someone was waiting for the rack. I know I could've done it though.

BP: 55lbs x 5,4,5,4,5 I worked hard for this one! I took every muscle in my body to get some of those reps, and they weren't all pretty, but I did them and walked away with a smile. :happy:

PR: 5x5 @ 50, I feel like I need to work some on form. It's hard to do them from a rack and keep good form. I'll be glad when I can lift heavy enough to do them from the floor.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. Keep up the awesomeness!!! :flowerforyou:
  • lwoodroff
    Options
    Gather round, children, for I have a tale to tell..

I went to the physio this evening. He established that I am very nicely balanced, with no twists in my spine or pelvis. He had a good prod around my lower back, sacrum and buttock, and other than having a (natural) very deep dip between the top of the sacrum and the first vertebrae, couldn't find any damage. Yay!

He was very impressed with my lifting numbers (for 'impressed' read 'slightly concerned') as I showed him the two videos above of my form, and wasn't happy that I was squatting below parallel. He showed me a half squat and said 'physiotherapists like to train for function. You don't need to go lower than this'. Remember this, friends, it will be significant in a minute. I pointed out that it would be red lighted in competition. 'I thought you weren't interested in competing?' 'Not yet, I'm not nearly strong enough'.

They have a little gym there with a power cage to drool over so he got me to show him my live deadlift and squat form with just the bar. Other than the depth issue he had on the squat, he noticed that as I rise I'm tipping my pelvis forward which will put more strain on the ligament that runs up vertically on the inside of the spine. He also spotted that as I lower the deadlift I'm not reversing my form as I go up (which he approved of) but am getting to my knees and then bending down with my arms to put the bar down. Not sure if that is because it was just the bar of it is a form error to fix, but glad he spotted that!

Then we moved onto balance. He went and got the bosu ball and flipped it upside down (flat side up), got me to stand on it and squat. This was the point at which the earlier comment becomes significant. 'I thought you said you trained for function?' 'Ah. Good point well made. But just imagine how good your squats will be on solid ground if you can do them on this'. Er...
    Anyway, managed a couple of very wobbly squats. He then got me to stand inside the cage on the upside down ball and try to stand on one leg 'imagine a cup of juice in front of your foot. it shouldn't spill'. It would have spilled. Very badly.

So we have identified something I knew already which is that my core strength is pants. Something which as the weights go up is going to be a challenge. I was a bit frustrated as I thought hoisting heavy weights around would have improved it more, but 2 c sections are not helping.

He described me as like talking to a rugby player (this was a compliment!) - great chassis but wobbly engine. He doesn't need to see me again (talked about the Starr rehab protocol which he hadn't heard of by name but approved of my abbreviated scrambled description of the methodology) and has lent me a book 'Stability, Sport and Performance Movement' (Joanne Elphinston if you are interested) which apparently has a lot of info in it on helpful exercises etc.

Thankfully the new gym is devoid of bosu balls, so any recommendations on assistance work for my core gratefully received, and I think I'll start from the weights I was at last night and work back up with good form and see how I go.