Participant updates

Options

Replies

• sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just want to share this with everyone:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/getdisciplined/comments/1q96b5/i_just_dont_care_about_myself/cdah4af?context=3

I am so inspired by this person's comment on reddit and wanted to share it with you all. Usually I think this self-improvement, motivational stuff is hokey, but I love the way this guy says it.

I like the 'no zero days' concept - I guess it kinda what this challenge is all about
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I've been doing really good so far! Today will be a difficult day as I will be very tired after working 2 doubles including night shifts followed by an evening shift, I don't have many calories left, and I need to get a decent workout in also. I really have to try hard today!
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Sooooo many cakes and chocolates at work today it's not true! And it is the sort of scenario where is way too easy to lose track of what you eat. So I'll just have a glass of water instead, that way I know where I stand.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    The planned diary entries are showing I will be over my budget by 332 calories. In my normal routine I might not bother about it. But due to this challenge I will walk it off and burn those 332 calories. This kind of accountability what I needed!
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The planned diary entries are showing I will be over my budget by 332 calories. In my normal routine I might not bother about it. But due to this challenge I will walk it off and burn those 332 calories. This kind of accountability what I needed!

Great stuff! I feel the same.
  • ThabiFabulous
    Options
    http://www.reddit.com/r/getdisciplined/comments/1q96b5/i_just_dont_care_about_myself/cdah4af?context=3

I am so inspired by this person's comment on reddit and wanted to share it with you all. Usually I think this self-improvement, motivational stuff is hokey, but I love the way this guy says it.

I was having a really horrible day today and was contemplating not exercising and therefore quitting the challenge, I came to this page to c how other ppl were doing and thought that maybe I might get some inspiration. I saw the link and decided to check it out. After reading ryans01 comment I feel super motivated to carry on with the challenge and do a light workout for 30 minutes. I really want to thank you caradae for this challenge and that post (agh now I'm getting all emotional:cry: ). I always say that everything happens for a reason and the day you decided to go on your weight loss journey meant something great for you and your family but also to all the ppl you helped with this challenge. A gr8 BIG THANK YOU!!:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • caradae
    caradae Posts: 743 Member
    Options

Arrrgggghhhhhhh... that's such a load of text with hardly any punctuation. Need a synopsis.

Even with grammar errors, he says it more inspiringly than my synopsis could, and that's the magic of it. But here's the gist:

1. No more 'zero days.' A zero day is when you do nothing to achieve your dream. If, at 11:58 p.m., you find you've done nothing toward your goal, write a sentence. Read a page from your textbook. One small thing may be small, but it isn't zero. The point of non-zero days is to get a string of consecutive non-zeros. This develops habit. It puts you in a stronger position to be more productive later on, when you're ready for that step.

2. Get in the habit of doing favors and being grateful. Start by thinking of yourself as three different people: past you, present you, and future you. Be grateful to your past self for all the things s/he has done to get you where you are today. Do favors for your future self by doing things that will benefit you later on, but which you might not want to do right now. Treat your "selves" like they're you're friends. Help them get ahead and be grateful to them.

3. Forgive yourself. Howevever your past self has let you down, forgive it and move on.

4. "Three words: exercise and books."
  • Gus130
    Gus130 Posts: 598 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing this, caradae. I thought it was great. I copied it, toned down the language, and plan to share it.
  • theloftlady
    theloftlady Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I knew I was taking the family out tonight for hubbies birthday. So I got up at 6:45am to walk the dog for 2 miles before work! Then I parked further away from walk than normal to get in more steps for my day. After work I picked up my son and took him to his swimming lesson and whilst he was there I went on the treadmill and cross trainer for 40 minutes. So, this challenge has definitely made me think more about how much output I am getting in each day, compared to the input in my mouth each day.
    Thank you for giving me an incentive to keep at this. 5 days into the Christmas food feasts wherever you look AND I'm still on track and feeling proud ????
  • howyoulikemenow
    Options
    Amazing how THIS was just the challenge that I needed. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    I knew I was taking the family out tonight for hubbies birthday. So I got up at 6:45am to walk the dog for 2 miles before work! Then I parked further away from walk than normal to get in more steps for my day. After work I picked up my son and took him to his swimming lesson and whilst he was there I went on the treadmill and cross trainer for 40 minutes. So, this challenge has definitely made me think more about how much output I am getting in each day, compared to the input in my mouth each day.
    Thank you for giving me an incentive to keep at this. 5 days into the Christmas food feasts wherever you look AND I'm still on track and feeling proud ????

Caradae do you see what you started??? :bigsmile: It's amazing how something soooo simple can help soooo many kick it up a notch!! THANK YOU!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Jagreene62
    Options
    Amazing how THIS was just the challenge that I needed. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

AND ANOTHER ONE Caradae!!!
  • Jagreene62
    Options

CARADAE - I hope you are catching all of these....I chose only three, but there are so many!! Stand up and take a bow!! :bigsmile:

p.s. How do people choose more than one "quote" on a post? I couldn't figure that out so thats why you have three different posts instead on only one!! :tongue:
  • caradae
    caradae Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I read these posts before I start my day, and I love them. Thanks, guys, for letting us know the challenge works for you. It makes my day to read that.

And thank you, Jagreene. You put in so much time, responding to messages and motivating people. You always seem to know the right thing to say.
  • theloftlady
    theloftlady Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Still on it and loving the competitive spirit I'm unearthing! So desperate for chocolate after my awful day at work that I worked out all my calories before I delved in. I managed to finish an horrendous day with a small glass of wine and two squares of chocolate with a whole calorie still spare ????????
  • umer76
    Options
    Thanks to this challenge I have been under my calorie goal 6 days in a row(although not big deficit). But staying under the target consistently is not easy. Mainly thanks to 20 min calories burn that has to be done everyday for this challenge. I am also trying to stay within my carbs goal and last days I have been between 46 to 51% which is not bad.
  • Jagreene62
    Options
    Still on it and loving the competitive spirit I'm unearthing! So desperate for chocolate after my awful day at work that I worked out all my calories before I delved in. I managed to finish an horrendous day with a small glass of wine and two squares of chocolate with a whole calorie still spare ????????

That's the way to plan ahead....you are so ahead of the game now!! You are learning how to control food in your life and not letting food control you!! YOU ARE AWESOME!! :drinker:
  • Jagreene62
    Options
    Thanks to this challenge I have been under my calorie goal 6 days in a row(although not big deficit). But staying under the target consistently is not easy. Mainly thanks to 20 min calories burn that has to be done everyday for this challenge. I am also trying to stay within my carbs goal and last days I have been between 46 to 51% which is not bad.

Yeap, you are getting the hang of it now!! Keep it going, and going, and going, and going!!! :drinker:
  • umer76
    Options
    But this weekend will be the first test if I am able to keep the calories within the calories goal. Working on it and will burn some calories as well to maintain the level.
  • Jagreene62
    Options
    But this weekend will be the first test if I am able to keep the calories within the calories goal. Working on it and will burn some calories as well to maintain the level.

I know exactly what you mean. When I first started this challenge I had NEVER exercised everyday. There was always AT LEAST one rest days.....most weeks a few more than that!! :laugh:

Another thing I did (this is only a suggestion), I changed my weigh in day to Monday. It was Friday...then depending on the outcome would depend how "crazy" I allowed myself to get over the weekend. You know kind of a celebration thing!! When I changed the weigh in to Monday, that meant I was more mindful of the weekend calories. I didn't want that Monday weigh in to be a downer. It really helped me!! :drinker: