Carb Counting

Replies

• I like the way that everyone is looking at what distribution of carbohydrate, protein and fat works best for you. The guidelines give a range for each macronutrient because there isn't a one-size-fits-all plan. Some people feel better with more carbohydrate, others with more fat, and others with more protein. The one constant is that eating more whole foods and less processed foods is a win for everyone. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • I didn't go to bed until almost 7 a.m., woke up at 10 and was sick, went back to bed until 5 p.m. So, I slept through breakfast and lunch. Fasting BS was 105, before meds. Took meds and made dinner shortly after - ground hamburger with mushrooms and onions and mozzarella cheese, and baby romaine salad with a little bit of matchstick carrots and a diced lite mozzarella stick and ranch dressing (exact measurements in diary). I picked up some whey protein last night and had that in milk. Cocoa almonds for dessert. 2 hour post BS was 125 (this is one of maybe three times possibly in 6 months of testing that I have had under 140). I have just taken my second doses of meds (two metformin 500mg, twice a day).

I am glad that everyone else responded, and see that 180ish is a general amount. I am also diagnosed with PCOS, and in that thread everyone is preaching low-carb which was why I thought that I should lower it. My friend raves about the keto diet. My diabetic educator didn't comment on lowering my carbs or anything of the sort even when I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was just curious if there was really nothing to change, or if she figured my healthy eating would round out whatever crap I might eat. Is it wrong to want to have numbers to work with and not just the "Eat healthy" mantra?
  • I am curious, for those of you who are diabetic and log food, what do you set your carb macro to?

A low carb/moderate protein/high fat diet works best for me. My macros are set to 60% fat, 30% protein and 10% carb. Too much protein will convert to glucose, albeit at a much slower rate than carbs.
    These macros allow me to have tight control of glucose levels (A1c 5.1, FBG 70-95, PP 80-120) with no medications and a nice lipid panel

I think I saw this somewhere recently (the protein converting to glucose). I will play with my macros and see what they look like at those percentages. Thank you :)
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Lots of very interesting post here iI love reading them almy reading was 84this morning
    I got a big jug of ice gig of ice water to sip on all morning will refill it at noon. I need more water. be

my breakfast was a protein shake with strawberries
    My lunch will be another shake
    Dinner will be grilled chicken, slaw, half of sweet potato

Water thru out the day
    Marie

Have a good Sunday
  • When I got to work at 11 p.m. last night I took my two hour post-food BS, it was 125 :)
    Snacked on .25c cocoa almonds and half a homemade banana muffin.
    Around 2 a.m. I ate two servings of Life Cinnamon cereal with fat-free milk.
    Shoveled ankle deep snow for 20 minutes before work shift ended.
    Went to Ihop and had two Garden crepes (spinach, mushrooms, onions and scrambled eggs - hold the hollandaise and tomatoes)
    Three cups of coffee, three creamers, and six splenda's.
    Came home and slept.
    Woke up with a fasting of 117. A little high, but after all those foods, I think that is good :)
  • Have you asked your diabetes educator to give you some more specific guidelines for carbohydrate, protein and fat? Since you want more information, I would think she'd be happy to give you some recommendations that are geared toward your individual situation. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Have you asked your diabetes educator to give you some more specific guidelines for carbohydrate, protein and fat? Since you want more information, I would think she'd be happy to give you some recommendations that are geared toward your individual situation. ~Lynn /Glucerna

I have asked, and my answer was "Eat more whole grains, more protein and more fiber". I have had 6 check-up's with her and 3 with my primary (for my A1C) and each time I walk away still not being told what my Vit D levels are other than they've gone up.
  • I know it's really frustrating when you aren't getting the answers you want. It's important that we let our health care providers know what information we want and why it's important to us. If they don't respond, what other options have you considered? ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • CALIECAT
    Hi everybody they are due out to get my computer g
    Back in working order. I will be so glad, this I Pad is for the birds. Fine for reading books but not for an old lady trying to post an forty.

See you tomorrow
    mariie
  • I know it's really frustrating when you aren't getting the answers you want. It's important that we let our health care providers know what information we want and why it's important to us. If they don't respond, what other options have you considered? ~Lynn /Glucerna

I would prefer not to search for another doctor since they are both new to me, and are pretty awesome in all other aspects. I just have to keep asking! But then we get to talking about my blood panel and numbers and food and then someone has a story to share (my SO comes with me to check-ups) and then it all goes out the window! :-)
  • Hi everybody they are due out to get my computer g
    Back in working order. I will be so glad, this I Pad is for the birds. Fine for reading books but not for an old lady trying to post an forty.

See you tomorrow
    mariie

I hope you get your computer back soon! I have a Kindle Fire but hate to post on that as well due to the touch screen. I also have a secondary phone for "Internet on the go" (cheaper than adding a data plan to my current phone) and it is also a touch screen - Ick to texting on it!
  • Fasting was 96 last night, 2-hour was 107. I ate pretty crappy, so I am surprised the numbers were so good! Tomorrow will be better. I have two hours after my work shift ends before I have to go in for 4 hour training, and they feed us coffee and donuts - I will have to get some breakfast before then to resist :)
  • CALIECAT
    girl with a pretty face , that would really be hard to resist. I am sure you will make the right decision

I have sta

mp
    rted a new plan
    I have a protein milk shake. With frozen strawberries or some kind of berries at 11 Am, at 200PM anther shake,,,,,,,,At 5 PM I have a regular meal of lean meat , half cup of starches veg gie such as sweet potato, beans etc no whit potato tho
    Lots of non starches veggies, lots Of water working out pretty good too...have. A great day
    marie
  • Marie, you're always willing to try out something different and figure out what works well for you. I love your positive attitude! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Hi everyone! It was a busy weekend up here, but I had some good numbers - until today.

My fasting sugars this morning were 13.8 or 207!! Holy high!
  • CALIECAT
    they did not make it out today today to fixed my computer. I am afraid I might lose all of my pictures and etc. he will be out in the morning hopfully
    Iam try

my best to learn to drink coffee with out creamer. Not as good but maybe I will learn to like it
    See you all tomorrow
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    I use Heavy Whipping Cream in mine. Fat does not make your blood sugar rise, and it's delicious. I used to be addicted to coffeemate creamer before I was diagnosed. It was loaded with carbs which wreaked havoc on my blood sugar. Heavy Whipping Cream saved the day, and you don't need much in it.
  • CALIECAT
    Been trying to get over here a day. seems like one thin and another keep ettin in my way.

Been during pretty good on my Plan . Just going to take time. Blood sugar been doing great......But t the weight is being stubborn
    Been working on me a vest.

I think they got my computer working OK.. I sure did missed it. Now nothing standing in my way but me.

889323f1ywrlz1a3.gif

Marie
  • I have thought about trying a protein shake when I need something but don't want to cook. I mentioned previously I bought a protein powder but when stirred it didn't disolve enough - ick! Had two containers of blackberries I need to use up, so I think I will make a smoothie with the mix (it's vanilla flavored) and toss in some blackberries. Or perhaps half a banana and some pb2 (powdered peanut butter).
  • CALIECAT
    Good morning carbers

I use Jay Robb protein shakes. Kroger now carry it. It is made with stevia and is quite good. I buy the vanilla so I can add my fruit. I drink two a day and mixed it up in my blender. For my dinner I have a low carb meal with lean meat and usually 2 non starches veggies. and 1/2 cup of beans. Before 5 O'clock and nothing else after dinner unless I have a low blood sugar. But my dinner usually carry me thru the night.
    Today my plans is working on me a red vest. and thinking about what I will have for inner.

It is 28 degrees this morning in Dallas, Texas and going to 60 this afternoon.

Marie