1200 calories a day

Replies

• nakira80
    nakira80 Posts: 5 Member
    I am doing the Southbeach again and I find that the protein and vegetables are keeping me pretty full, but my choices are limited.
    For instance breakfast, two scrambled eggs, coffee, and a little milk and no calorie sweetener.

I might have a mozzarella stick for a snack or some baby carrots

For lunch/dinner I can have a soup with meat and veggies only in it (I have a good crockpot meatball soup recipe), tuna salad with veggies, chicken and black beans. Salad is always an option and i can have some caesar dressing.

I also have coffee for a snack or a Monster Absolute Zero (I am a single mom and have basically 2 jobs)

When I wasn't doing the protein/vegetable combo and I only had 1200 calories, it was hard because with the carbs I was always hungry.

Good luck
  • rhispect
    rhispect Posts: 9 Member
    New here! Hi! :) I just dropped mine to 1200 from 1375. I've been working out to eat more, and now I feel like I'm able to challenge myself with the 1200, since I've got more discipline when it comes to what's in my fridge and pantry. I eat a lot of spinach and sweet potatoes right now, and I love the ideas you girls shared in here. I definitely need to switch things up in my diet. :)
  • That's a pretty low net! You should probably be eating back your exercise calories so that you net 1200. Depending on your height even that might be on the low side. 600 is definitely super low.

I'm not hungry at all. I eat until I am satisfied and then stop. Today I am at 928cals and 555 net. I'm going to snack if needed.

I'm 5'3 and have a petite frame so I don't think it's terrible for me.

Also, I think eating a clean diet helps to fill you up - and I'm not going to eat junk just to get my calories up.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    I'm not hungry at all. I eat until I am satisfied and then stop. Today I am at 928cals and 555 net. I'm going to snack if needed.

I'm 5'3 and have a petite frame so I don't think it's terrible for me.

Also, I think eating a clean diet helps to fill you up - and I'm not going to eat junk just to get my calories up.

I'm not an expert or anything, but everything I've ever read, heard, or experienced has told me that it isn't healthy to eat that little. Obviously you can do what you want, and if you feel fine then that's fine. Just something to think about. At 5'3", even if you only weighed 80 lbs, your BMR would be over 1100 calories.

You definitely don't need to eat junk to hit 1200 calories. 1200 is really not a lot of food. It concerns me to see so many girls in here eating so very little.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    My TDEE is only about 1500 calories on days I can't work out, so if I ate 1200 calories a day I would never have lost any weight. I had to drop my calories below 1200 to lose. It worked, I felt fine, and I've kept the weight off. One size does not fit all.
  • tayloryay
    Well that'd still be a deficit of 300 a day, which might not get you a pound a week but it's still reasonable. Like I said, everyone is free to do what they want.
  • My TDEE is only about 1500 calories on days I can't work out, so if I ate 1200 calories a day I would never have lost any weight. I had to drop my calories below 1200 to lose. It worked, I felt fine, and I've kept the weight off. One size does not fit all.

Exactly!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Well that'd still be a deficit of 300 a day, which might not get you a pound a week but it's still reasonable. Like I said, everyone is free to do what they want.

300/day if I weigh everything perfectly and any restaurant meals are made exactly according to recipe and I don't sit more than usual, etc etc etc. It's a very slim margin of error and even a slight miscalculation could eliminate the deficit. And I was not interested in dieting for a year to lose 20 pounds.

A 6'2" man shouldn't be eating 1200/day, obviously, but for someone my size it's damn close to maintenance and certainly too much to lose on without exercise. I've been aiming for 1200/day (with slightly more flexible weekends) since I started maintaining and I haven't lost any more weight.
  • tayloryay
    I still think 500-600 is a pretty low amount to net, and to act like it isn't is a little irresponsible. Not to mention, apparently neither of you actually eat like that on a daily basis. In the original comment I replied to, it was sort of implied that she did.

I just wanted to point out for any others who might read this thread and think it was a good idea, that it's probably not.
  • jitsuda
    jitsuda Posts: 230 Member
    Agree with listening to your body.

There are days that I end up with very low net .. or even around 1,000 total and I do not feel hungry at all.. Like I would feel super super full if I stuff myself to get 1200..

There are also days that I feel hungry all the time.. so I would go over ..

Works fine so far :)
  • Well this is all changed because I just bought a food scale and apparently I have been underestimating quite a bit of my food. I will see in the course of a couple weeks what my REAL intake and REAL net cals are. :)
  • sofiawantstolose
    sofiawantstolose Posts: 46 Member
    I'm 5'6, 18 years old and I'm on 1350 calories a day. My TDEE is 2014 or so, because I excercise a LOT. I used to be on 1200shape a day but it wasn't really effective, and then changed to this. I know there's not much difference, and I never go ovet, not even on 1200 but it is not so terrible when my net is on 900, because my expected intake makes up for it on the other days.
  • vfett1018
    vfett1018 Posts: 131 Member
    I love eating fruit for low calories, but unfortunately they have a lot of sugar. I usually pick sugar over calories, and then try to x out sugar the rest of the day.
  • ztaitaifufu
    ztaitaifufu Posts: 77 Member
    New here! Hi! :) I just dropped mine to 1200 from 1375. I've been working out to eat more, and now I feel like I'm able to challenge myself with the 1200, since I've got more discipline when it comes to what's in my fridge and pantry. I eat a lot of spinach and sweet potatoes right now, and I love the ideas you girls shared in here. I definitely need to switch things up in my diet. :)

with you on the sweet potatoes and spinach though i eat a ton of different types of greens, there are also a ton of different varieties of sweet potatoes, also really loving winter squashes in this season. i tend to not eat much fruit in fall winter and more squash potato and then switch some of that to fruit in the warmer seasons. i do better on carbs but some days i'll eat more protein and fats i find alternating days works well for this. in general i eat a ton of vegetables (land and sea :) if you guys eat meat try some of the less standard cuts, they have a ton of nutritional benefits for usually a fraction of the kcal, also if you like potato try mountain yam - really healthy and super low kcal compared to potato. konjac and agar are also great to keep tummies satisfied... i'm not on 1200 anymore since i'm done losing, but still eat the same types of things just more nuts and more in general to net about 1300-1600 to maintain around 100,
  • KHattley
    KHattley Posts: 59 Member
    I'm generally quite good at sticking to the 1200 calories during the week but it's always the weekend that catches me out! During the week I take lunches to work and plan our meals whilst also doing two kettlebell classes a week and on one other night in the week doing an exercise DVD. Then....the weekend comes and we'll decide to go out for a meal. Sometimes I can try to be quite good but it was Indian last night and it's not easy to have a low calorie curry!! Next time I'll make sure we go somewhere that do salads and low calorie meals!

When I am craving a bit of a treat I've found the "Tasty Little Numbers" range - bags of crisps and chocolate bars for just 100 calories each. Probably not the most nutritious thing to eat but it is a guilt-free treat! Apparently they also do 200 and 300 calorie ready meals but I haven't found these yet!
  • JadeGypsyxo
    JadeGypsyxo Posts: 60 Member
    I am doing the 1200 calories a day as well. I live in Santa Barbara so luckily there's hardly any fast food to choose from BUT theres tons of bars and drinking and bar food. I work in a restaurant that has healthy stuff but also some really bad stuff too.

The trick is to get enough protein at meals to fill you up.
  • Cakewalk25
    Cakewalk25 Posts: 71 Member
    I'm doing 1200 a day net - I try to eat about 1360 and burn 160 on my treadmill a day. I haven't found it TOO difficult except when I go out on the weekends. I tried to cut out juice, pop, alcohol and sugared coffees which were super calorie dense but didn't fill me up. To get all my required nutrients in and still be under the calorie goal, I had to mostly cut out empty calories like chips, candy and cookies. As long as I eat a lot of protein and fat, I feel pretty full for most of the day. I also try to eat every two hours.

I find it scary when people are saying they're on 1200 and burning 1000 through exercise. The 1200 minimum should be a NET goal, and anything under can be dangerous to your body. Your body burns at least 1200 a day to keep your heart pumping, blood flowing, etc.
  • aoibhs22
    aoibhs22 Posts: 55 Member
    Hi guys... im trying to stick on a 1200 diet aswell. any friends would be great so we can help and work together. :)
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    I'm generally trying to stick to 1000 a day, but I go above ocassionally if I'm truly hungry. I keep my protein above 60g per day. I rely on a few different sites for ideas:

Recipe Analyzer: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php
    Banana Bread Protein Muffins: http://dashingdish.com/recipe/banana-bread-protein-muffins/ (58 kcal each!)
    Protein Pumpkin Pie: http://julesfood.blogspot.com/2012/11/protein-pumpkin-pie-low-carb-and-gluten.html (80 kcal each)
    Country Cabbage Soup: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/country_cabbage_soup.html
    Triple Chocolate Chunk Muffin: http://powerforceapparel.blogspot.com/2012/03/58-calorie-triple-chocolate-chunk.html (58 kcal)

And last, but not least is skinnytaste.com - the most amazing low-cal recipe site ever. Everything tastes fabulous!
  • soozey1
    soozey1 Posts: 102 Member
    I eat a lot of food for 1200 calories, mostly clean unprocessed foods.
    I need to keep my protein at 70 grams a day , due to sore kidneys.
    But I uses to eat about 150 grams of protein a day.
    My tip is to keep your sugar and sodium low.
    Sodium causes sugar retention and sugar makes you fat.
    Exercise a variety small amount every day.
    Add me if you want to check out my food diary.