Carb Counting

Replies

• retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Hi Marie!

Sounds like you're investigating different plans to see what works for you. You mentioned you're looking at upping fiber right now. I don't know if you like lentils but I've been cooking those in vegetable broth for more flavor. You could use chicken or beef, too. Then when I want to include them in a meal I'll sometimes add pieces of ham or chicken (anything works!) and maybe veggies. They are high in fiber and actually taste good!

You mentioned dropping the nuts and just using peanut butter. I know I can overdo the nuts, too, so have had to cut down on the number I eat. But they're so good and high fiber to boot!

Thanks for the update on your foodie adventures!

Barb
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Hi its been a while since we had a little chat. Good to hear from you

:flowerforyou: Barbs...On the lentils I have not never cook a pot of those. I did buy some once and they are in the pantry But the are so old I would not used them can and been aiming to buy some but never think of it while in the store. Must do that I did buy a canned Lentil soup here awhile back and really like them.I been trying to make a lot of bean soup. So I must remember to buy some. My next trip to the store.
    Now I am looking for a high fiber cereal without sugar Know of one?

Thanks for the tip on Lintils.
    hus marie
  • retiree2006
    Marie, Once cereal that comes to mind that has no sugar is Shredded Wheat...the plain ones. And things like Cheerios have 1 gram, Kix have only 3 grams...Grape Nuts, 4.

With lentils you usually have a 1:2 proportion...1 c. lentils to 2 cups liquid. Rinse lentils first then put in pot with liquid, bring to a boil then just simmer until they are as soft as you like. Usually around 20-30 minutes, but could be more. I fixed a pot and had some for lunch with ham chunks. Filling and good flavor although not everyone likes them!
  • I love the discussion about ways to get more fiber. Legumes like lentils, split peas, black beans and garbanzo beans have more fiber than any other type of food, plus they're a good source of protein. I like to add chickpeas to salads, and use canned chickpeas. Rinse them under cold running water before using to remove about 1/3 of the sodium. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • CALIECAT
    2044075wbcysm9b73.gif

Lets talk BEANS

Good morning Lynn, Good to hear from you again., I have mostly just used pinto beans but I am going to venture out and try some more. Plan on eating some kind of beans everyday. It is pretty good to get beans when you eat out although they may have 2 much sodium and fat in them, But that is just an occasionally thing. My daughter and I went out last Sunday to pamero (spelling) and I had a bowl of black bean soup and a small order of cobb salad

Barbs, I think I will try cooking some lentil today Using that pkg I have had so long. and season them up good. Do you eat lots of bseans?
    Got to go and pick over the lintil Hope I can tell a rock or mud ball from the lintil.

Hugs Marie
  • It's good to be in touch with you as well Callie. I hope you enjoyed the lentil soup! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • CALIECAT
    lynn Well sadly I did not like my lentil soup. It might have been the way I prepare it tho. I was wishing it was pinto beans. They sure did soak up the water tho. . My adventure for today.

We got a good rain this afternoon and we sure did need it. We also lost out electricity too for about 30 minutes. Was glad they got it fix so quick

Hug
    Marie

• CALIECAT
    lynn Well sadly I did not like my lentil soup. It might have been the way I prepare it tho. I was wishing it was pinto beans. They sure did soak up the water tho. . My adventure for today.

We got a good rain this afternoon and we sure did need it. We also lost out electricity too for about 30 minutes. Was glad they got it fix so quick

Hugs
    Marie

• CALIECAT
    I am cooking some fork hook green lima beans for tonight along with a chopped salad and slice tomatoes and ice tea.Breakfast was a bowl of shredded whole wheat , Almond coconut milk and a banana I remember the doctor had My dad on a banana everyday. What ia the benefit of bnanas?
    Lunch will be A BLT Have not had one in a long time.
    plus a salad. and a apple
    I am trying to eat normal yet keep my carbs down. So far so good.
    1007841cl4agepdbj.gif
    marie
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Marie, besides vitamins, bananas are a good source of potassium. Potassium is important for heart function. I have problems with my potassium running a little high, so have to limit all foods with potassium - white potatoes, pinto beans, tomatoes, and especially bananas. (I'm on a potassium-sparing water pill that causes this problem.)

Your food today looks yummy - especially the BLT!
  • CALIECAT
    Cathy, thanks you for the information on bananas. I look at your profile . you are a fellow Texan In Carrolton too real close to me here in Mesquite. I been out planting some spinach and kale. I may be too early but I am going to give it a try. I see you have lost a considerable amount of weight. Hurray for you. Wish I could say the same. Enjoy Our chat. I am on a water pill too.For I have conjesting heart failure My feet and ankle stay swollen up I would like to be your friend.
    Marie
  • Great idea to plant kale and spinach so you can enjoy them fresh from your garden! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • CALIECAT
    3254218zz6pl7lq2j.gif

Good morning this is the first day of a lovely spring day. enjoy it to the fullest.

My plans today.
    Have left over forkhook beans with spinach cornbread. for lunch/ Have one and freeze the rest. I don't know if I told you I am eating out of a toddler plate make it looks like I am eating more than I am. And it seems to be working. For breakfast it was shredded whole wheat cereal with 1 banana and 1 cup of almond cocontut milk/ Tonight undecided. In the morning is weih in day. Wish me luck
    Happy spring day
    Marie
  • CALIECAT
    001.jpg

Here are my spinach cornbread muffin I made today. so good
    marie
  • CALIECAT
    Good afternoon. I had a lost of 3.3 this morning and I am really please with that. My day today,
    Had a breakfast of 1 cup shredded wheat, `1 cup of almond coconut milk
    lunch..... 1 can of walmart Meal replacement shake a bowl of salad
    Dinner tonight will be 6 oz of grilled fish 2 cups salad
    great balls of fire I want to get this excess fat off.
    Marie

713897tdn6wbdhee.jpg
  • You sound really motivated Marie! Including salads and/or vegetables with your meals is a really good way to feel satisfied while losing weight. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • retiree2006
    Marie, you seem to be on to something! I agree that downsizing the dinnerware really helps. I use an appetizer plate for most of my meal and then usually add a larger bowl for my salad. It's showing in your "numbers". By the way, your spinach cornbread muffins look divine! Looking forward to your next "report"!
  • CALIECAT
    Retiree Love you beautiful Irish purple flower. I have some too but not blooming now But is rowing.

Hello Ladies, How is your day going. Mine is fine. I am doing some machine embroidery this afternoon

my breakfast was a Walmart chocolate Milk shake for breakfast
    y lunch 1 cup of raw salad with 1 T dressing ( light ranch , And a Chocolate shake, hot tea
    My dinner will be 6 oz of turkey sausage, 1 cup of okra and onion roasted and 3/4 c beans !T good fat Tea
    snack if needed 1/2 cup cottage cheese and 4 sl strawberries

347171garpk3vevy.gif
    Marie
  • CALIECAT
    Hi folks
    Been doing some change around here. I am trying to get 15 grams of fiber at each meal. So far so good. I try a Atkins Coconut chocolate bar today. And I really don't like any bars so far That I try but I like this one. Of course coconut is one of my favorite desert. Like coconut cake Almond bars. Coconut pie Of course those are all off limit for me.For a whopping 9 grams of fiber
    Whoopy

Take care
    marie
  • Bookwitch
    Bookwitch Posts: 33 Member
    I also am a carb counter. A few years ago I went to see a dietician and she told me "if you keep track of your carbs, your calories will take care of themselves" Keeping track of carbs is also much easier and less scarier than calories. When you see 100 carbs for .75% of the day as opposed to 100 calories it doent seem as bad.
    I was diagnosed with type 2 several years ago and of course I panicked and threw eveything with sugar away. :sad: Then I got smart. I started reading books and doing research and guess what I can eat sugar and it wont kill me. A few years ago I took a class on diabetes and it helped me a lot, helped me understand so much more than books could tell me. The more I learned the better off I was .
    MY best advice to anyone that is or has been just diagnosed is EDUCATE yourself. The more you know the better you will be.
    I was on insulin and oral meds and about 8-9 months ago I was taken off my insulin and just had a A1C test done and it came back at 5.5. Im so happy.:smile: