Let's Introduce Ourselves

Options
Sweet_Pandora
Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
Hello Ladies

It seems like the group is growing with new members, myself included.

I'm Karen, I'm turning the fabulous 5 0 this year and my new friend peri-m is coming along for the ride!

I'm just in the beginning of it but man, is it kicking my *kitten*!

My goal is to eat well and exercise and do what I can to make it easier or more manageable.

Easier said than done however giving up is not an option!

Karen:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm Sabine. 49 next week. And hopefully in the middle (or later) of this.
    I've had varying symptoms for about 5 years now, but I wasn't able to attribute the first few (mid month nausea, and intermittent dizziness) to peri until a bit later in the process.

I am using bio-identical progesterone and bio-identical estriol and a few other supplements to manage most of my symptoms.

With one exception, a sister, who "paused" at 48 after a death in the family, I have no female relatives to compare myself to for a sense of time, since everyone had hysterectomies.

cheers
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Options
    Sabine - My mother passed away before I could ask and my sister had a hysterectomy so I am on my own too!

Karen
  • springowl
    Options
    Hi, I looked at a few groups and although I have a lot of issues, it seems I will be able to relate to this group well.

I am a 48 year old female with Lyme disease.

I have had Lyme disease since I was a child but my symptoms did not become debilitating until my 1999 first pregnancy. I have two children now, ages 13 & 14.

Lyme has caused me hormonal problems my whole life. I have a cyst on my pituitary gland and that has caused hormonal problems and this is a common Lyme problem when not treated early.

I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (very common with Lyme)
    I have fibrocystic breast disease (very common with Lyme)
    I am paralyzed on the whole left side of my body (it happens with Lyme but not as common). I have no use of my left hand, arm, or leg. I can walk but only about 10-20 feet unaided.

I do exercise but I can only use a bike or elliptical machine. My strong side propels my left side.

I am small boned and 5'1" and my ideal weight is 105-110. I weigh 140 lbs. and would be fine weighing 120.

Last summer I went through IV antibiotic treatment that was very hard on my system. I did manage to exercise and keep calories to 1200 per day and lost 12 lbs. in four months. Because of heavy doses of antibiotics, I lost 70 percent of my hair and it really affected my hormones.

My hair has all come back in and I am off antibiotics. I am exercising (mostly cardio) five days a week and back to 1200 calories per day.

I am slow because of my physical limitations but on an exercise bike or elliptical, I do very well.

I do not eat gluten, dairy, sugar, corn, and no alcohol. I drink only water or water with lemon. Most of this is Lyme Disease protocol so I do it anyway.

I am a busy mom but I need to make this a priority. I am not competitive with other people but I am competitive with myself. I like to be able to compare my progress to others to keep myself motivated.

I usually lose two pounds and then gain one back, lose two pounds, gain one back........ It takes a while but with water regulation and such, that seems to be the pattern.

Lyme disease has done everything but kill me and now I have the dreaded menopause looming to mess things up more.

Because I don't walk much, exercise is a must for weight loss.

I know this is long. I am looking for friends, motivation, and encouragement. I have a wedding to attend on July 6th, 2014 and I would be sooooo happy if I could lose 20 lbs.

Thank You,

Amanda
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Options
    Hi Amanda and welcome!

You are a fighter! Congrats on your discipline and courage not to give up or give in.

The group seems to have been around for quite a while but there doesn't seem to be regular interaction.

Hopefully we can change that and share and encourage each other with the journey on to menopause.

Karen
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm at the beginning stages I guess. I go for about two months with nothing then boom have a really bad one. I am definitely stressed and more emotional then I was before. I've gone through spurts where I have hot flashes but they seem to have subsided for the moment. I do take Estroven for weight loss and maybe that has helped the hot flashes. I've been working hard to get the "menopausal" weight gain look off and its been a tough road. Still hanging in there though!
  • cdfh60
    cdfh60 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you found the bio-identicals to be a help or a hinderance to your weight loss?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Have you found the bio-identicals to be a help or a hinderance to your weight loss?
    For me, I'm at maintenance but I did just progesterone for a year or so. I found that a hindrance to maintaining. Then added the Estriol and feel much more balanced. And in control of my weight. I tried to lose a few pounds at the first of the year and was able to.
  • dibark
    dibark Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I just turned 49 and have been working toward living a healthy lifestyle for a number of years now. I have been getting treated for chronic Lyme since January of 2007. I am also gluten intolerant and have been gluten free since 1996. It seems that when I went off the gluten is when my weight started slowly creeping up. In the beginning I wasn't worried because I actually looked gaunt from being so ill for so long, but once I went off gluten, I started feeling much better and didn't really pay attention to the slow weight gain that was taking place through the years. Then, came the Lyme disease and that's when things got really out of control. I was couch ridden for a long time, so did not exercise at all during that time. About a year ago, I started feeling well enough to exercise again. I have been slowly gaining my strength back and can actually do a workout now and not feel completely exhausted (on most days anyway - sometimes the Lyme acts up and I have some inflammation or fatigue so then need to slow it down a bit).

I've also been struggling with peri-menopause for the past 5 years or so. It's now at the point where I go 4 months at a time without my period. Between the hormones, celiac disease, and dealing with Lyme issues, managing my weight has been challenging. I lose a few pounds, then gain a few back - this goes back and forth and I just can't seem to stay on track. I have tried every diet under the sun and now with MFP have tried to stick to 1200 calories a day which is what I think I'm supposed to be doing when I look at my profile. I do have a problem with consistency and tracking regularly. I do fine for a bit but then don't see the progress I think I should see, I have a pity party and then get off track. I'm so incredibly frustrated and disgusted with myself and just can't understand why losing weight is so incredibly hard. I'd love to hear some positive stories from others or advice in how I can get on track towards living a healthier lifestyle. Thank you. --Kim
  • sunshinelively
    sunshinelively Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! Great to see there's a group here to discuss any special challenges for losing weight at this stage. I lost 20 lb over the last year (after 8 years of up and down with the weight). Have 20 lb to go to get to goal. Turning 50 this year, went into menopause at 48.

What I'm wondering now is whether my goal is realistic, given the place I've gotten to. I'm weight training 3x a week, 1/2 hour of cardio on weight training days. 3 more days of straight 45 min and abs. Scale has not budged, hungrier than ever, to the point that I can't stick to the 1200 goal. Just increased to 1400 to see if that makes any difference. Upped the protein, which is hard since I'm mostly vegan, will probably have to eat some meat once in awhile to meet protein goal.

Yesterday ate 120 grams of protein, still was ravenous at the end of the day. Seemed like I had better results with straight cardio and calorie counting, but at this point I recognize that doing it that way probably took off muscle weight each time weight was lost, then, when I've re-gained, regained fat not muscle. At 31% body fat right now.

Anyway would appreciate any advice from folks who have experienced any of this - I'm feeling confused and frustrated!!

Thanks so much!!
  • palmtree51
    palmtree51 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My name is Cynthia I am 52 I just would like to know how long that takes for hot flashes to go away. I am also struggling with my weight. Any suggestions? :smile:
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Pleased to meet everyone!

Something I've found with becoming "classic" (e.g., like a classic car!) is that I can't take for granted what I need to feel good each day: enough sleep, good nutritional support, social networks, a sense of purpose.

I do absolutely love getting older!
  • lmjblues
    lmjblues Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Lisa. I'm 45 years old and I have been battling peri-m symptoms for about five years. This last year has been the worst for my weight. I have gained 10 - 15lbs in the last year and it seems like every time I step on the scale it's higher. Grrrrr. I am a very active individual; and I always have been. I'm a runner, a spinner and I've recently added strength training to my routine. None of that has made a dent in my weight. I have finally come to grips with the fact that it is my DIET that is causing the weight gain. More specifically I believe it's my diet and my hormones. I get my period about every other month these days... sometime longer gaps in between. And it is those gaps that cause me the most trouble. Bloating, crampy, PMS like food cravings, irritability, etc...

I just bought the book by Ann Louise Gittleman called Before the Change: Taking Charge of your Premenopause. I'm just getting into it, but I really like what she has to say. She talks about balancing your hormones during this process through vitamins and diet. That what we put in out bodies really does affect how we feel. And I'm tired of feeling crappy. :)

The eating lifestyle she recommends is primarily low GI/low carb. She recommends we eat 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. So, I've changed my MFP profile to reflect that. Going to try and get this scale moving in the right direction and start feeling better in the process.

Hoping this group stays active! Nice to have some friends to relate to as we go through this journey.

Lisa
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I haven't read that book, but may see if it's in the library.
    I try to eat SLOW carb, i.e.. low GI/GL foods
    I'd say (I don't log) that my carb intake is at about 30% and of those, most if not all are low GI/GL nutrient dense, high fiber carbs. It does seem to help. It helps with the cravings by keeping my blood sugar more stable.
    I joined a few of the PCOS groups here a while back because I've been long convinced that menopause is/leads to/causes a form of insulin resistance. Dunno. I just know that focusing on eating slow carb helps for me. Hope keeping an eye on the carbs helps you as well.
  • lmjblues
    Options
    I haven't read that book, but may see if it's in the library.
    I try to eat SLOW carb, i.e.. low GI/GL foods
    I'd say (I don't log) that my carb intake is at about 30% and of those, most if not all are low GI/GL nutrient dense, high fiber carbs. It does seem to help. It helps with the cravings by keeping my blood sugar more stable.
    I joined a few of the PCOS groups here a while back because I've been long convinced that menopause is/leads to/causes a form of insulin resistance. Dunno. I just know that focusing on eating slow carb helps for me. Hope keeping an eye on the carbs helps you as well.

Sabine... The entire premise of that book I'm reading is basically the philosophy that Menopause does lead to forms of inulin resistance. And truly, THAT's what I feel..in my gut...is what's happening to me. I spent many a year on low fat diets in the past to lose weight. And they worked in my youth...but not the case anymore. It really has come down to nutrition and slow carbs for me too! Giving it a go from here on out. Just tired of this!!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    That would make sense.

I just think intuitively that the kinds of habits my body would just throw off in my 30s and 40s, now have a longer negative impact on this body. I can't smash down high sugar carbs, and then starve myself for a week and lose 5 lbs.

I do think an aging body forces you to respect it!
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Options
    Hello Ladies

It's great to see others sharing their journey and the group interacting.

Bernadette <-
    I've found with becoming "classic" (e.g., like a classic car!) is that I can't take for granted what I need to feel good each day: enough sleep, good nutritional support, social networks, a sense of purpose.

This is so true! I know what makes me feel better and for my body to run optimally but it's so easy to stray from the course. I am going to write this down in my health journal and remind myself of this daily. Thank you for sharing.

lmjblues <--
    I just bought the book by Ann Louise Gittleman called Before the Change: Taking Charge of your Premenopause. I'm just getting into it, but I really like what she has to say. She talks about balancing your hormones during this process through vitamins and diet. That what we put in out bodies really does affect how we feel. And I'm tired of feeling crappy. :) .

I have this book and it's been a great help. I truly believe that balancing your hormones is key. I know I was not aware of all of the different hormones that we have in our body and how food and sleep effects how they function.

A few years ago I read a book The Hormone Diet by Natural Path Dr. Natasha Turner. It helped me so much. I was part of an interview that she did with a newspaper, here's the link if anyone is interested in reading it http://www.nationalpost.com/life/story.html?id=1817189.

I keep asking myself if I know what to do to feel better why am I not doing it?

Karen
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Options
    I tried the link and it didn't come up with the story. Here it is if you are interested.

Amy O'Brian, Canwest News Service · Jul. 22, 2009 | Last Updated: Jul. 22, 2009 7:21 PM ET

What do hormones have to do with our health? Aside from causing monthly mood swings and being responsible for our sex drive — or lack thereof — what effect do they have on our overall well-being?

According to Natasha Turner, hormones play a role in everything from good sleep and good sex to headaches, stress, fatigue and weight gain.

Turner is a Toronto-based naturopathic doctor and the author of the best-selling book, The Hormone Diet: Lose Fat. Gain Strength. Live Younger Longer.

Turner has struggled with her own hormone-related conditions — namely hypothyroidism and polycystic ovarian syndrome — and she wanted to share the diet and lifestyle-based solutions she uses for the maintenance of her own health and that of the patients at her clinic.

Although the book’s title includes the word “diet” and implies weight loss, Turner’s program involves far more than food restrictions and exercise. (She recommends sex three times a week.) And its benefits go far beyond weight loss, with promises of increased energy, better sleep, glowing skin, a stronger sex drive, and a better mood.

Turner believes part of the reason the book has been so successful — it’s been sitting on top of the Canadian charts for the better part of four months — is because it explains, in detail, why hormonal balance is necessary for good health and how certain foods can help you achieve hormonal balance.

“I was worried it would be too much of a biology lesson,” she said. “But I think people are getting educated and that’s cool. It’s not a diet, it’s a wellness plan.”

In the book, Turner explains the symptoms people might exhibit if they suffer from an imbalance of specific hormones. For example, the symptoms of too much testosterone include increased abdominal fat, irregular periods, hair loss, irritability, and a decrease in breast size.

Too little testosterone can lead to muscle loss, dry skin and poor elasticity, a decreased libido and bone density loss.

Excess cortisol — also known as the stress hormone — can fuel a desire for fatty foods and carbohydrates. It can cause a blood sugar imbalance and can cause you to eat more than you need, among other things.

“Most people say, ‘I’m not stressed,’ “ Turner says. “But if you commute an hour to work, your cortisol levels are probably high. If you work in an open office environment, your cortisol levels will be high. If you hate the person who works next to you, your cortisol levels will be high.”

Turner says the two biggest hormonal imbalances most of us have involve insulin and stress hormone levels.

But as she explains throughout the book, everything from when you eat to what you eat to when you go to bed and how dark your bedroom is can affect your hormones.

Karen T bought The Hormone Diet after years of suffering from hypothyroidism and trying every fad diet under the sun to lose those “last 10 pounds.”

Karen T, 44, has followed Turner’s three-step plan since the beginning of June and says she has “not felt this alive” in years. She has given up coffee, refined sugar and fast food, but says she doesn’t miss any of it. She is sleeping better, her headaches have disappeared, her mood swings have diminished and she has more energy.

“I’ve really learned how food affects my body,” Karen T said from her home near Ottawa.

“I almost feel like I’m on a high.”

Turner’s plan includes a two-week anti-inflammatory detox, in which she recommends eliminating all potentially problematic foods from your diet, including wheat, corn, peanuts, oranges, dairy foods, meats, sugars and caffeine.

After the two-week period, you gradually reintroduce certain foods and see whether your body reacts badly to them.

“It’s essential that people understand that not every food is perfect for every person,” Turner says.

Karen T says she has no plans to go back to eating the way she used to. She is preparing to run a half-marathon, has never felt better and says her family is more at ease now that her mood swings have diminished.

Oh, and she’s lost seven pounds and several inches off her waist and hips.

Could this be the beginning of a hormone revolution?

In the book Dr. Turner recommends a lot of supplements, I did not use them I just followed her eating plan along with exercise and it made such a difference.

Karen
  • lmjblues
    Options
    Thanks for posting the article Karen! I really DO believe there is a direct link to what we eat, our hormone balance and how we feel. I've just started to put some of the tactics in place from that book I'm reading and just in a couple days I feel a bit better... and the bigger pay off...the scale FINALLY started moving downward. Geez... The detox piece of that article sounds a lot like this class I signed up for, that starts in a couple weeks. It's a Clean Eating Challenge and runs for 5 weeks. I know the instructor encourages us to give up some of those same foods...

Well, here's the description of the class:

Have you been hearing about the benefits of "clean eating" but wonder how to realistically make it happen on your own? We can help! Now with a new, longer class length we will be getting into the kitchen and learning basic cooking principles and recipes to give you even more tools for success! Join us for this exciting adventure where together over 5 weeks you'll receive the practical strategies and motivation you need to transition into eating whole, real and fresh food. During the course of our time together you will be encouraged to consider eliminating one or more of these common foods that cause weight gain or allergies: wheat/gluten, dairy, corn, soy, peanuts, sugar, alcohol and processed foods. If you truly want to feel the difference that eating whole real foods will make on your mind and body, join us for the challenge! No crazy juicing, powders or supplements, just real and wholesome food. We'll include step by step instructions complete with meal plans, starter guide and how to transition after the challenge. Warning: A major side effect could be weight loss, increased energy and a reduced waistline!

I signed up for the class just looking for more strategies to tackle this new stage of my life. Not sure if I'll adopt all of the principals outlined in the class...but every little bit helps I think.

I'll throw updates out here on the strategies I'm using and how they are working; if I remember. :)

Right now I am focusing on foods that are lower GI foods. Sticking with healthy proteins, fats and reducing my carbs. I've changed my MFP goals to 40% carbs, 30% proteins and 30% fats. I've also added flaxseed oil to my supplements. So far so good. :)

Lisa
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Options
    Lisa I agree with you, we can't arm ourselves with too much information. The course sounds very much similar to the HD two week food detox. Best of luck and please keep us posted of what you learn.

Karen
  • Justhowfitcananoldchickget
    Options
    Hello Ladies! I am 58 and have gone through what you girls are experiencing. Take my advice and lose as much weight as you can before you are post-menopausal. At 52 I was in the best shape of my life and was walking 6 miles a day...up and down hills, inclines etc. Well, I stopped walking and now I'm starting over. I think it's even harder now to lose but I'm not giving up! I am reading the book, "Younger Next Year for Women" and it makes all kinds of sense. It was written by Chris Crowley and Henry S Lodge. At Barnes and Noble. It's worth the read for sure. I'm applying some of their wisdom in my life and things are starting to change. Good luck to all of you. We all just want to be healthy, happy and feel good about going into that next half-century.

Here's a quote from the book: page 32: "So let me say that again: You (we women) may well live into your nineties, whether you like it or not. But HOW you live those years, on the other hand, is largely under your control. Which is a good reason to make the Last Third of your life terrific--and not a dreary panoply of obesity, sore joints and apathy. 'Normal aging' is intolerable and avoidable. You can skip most of it and grow old, not just gracefully but with real joy." How's THAT for inspiration!?